official headmin election 13 thread (NO LONGER PRE-ELECTION EDITION)

General SS13 Chat
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Re: official headmin election 13 pre-election thread

Post by Capsandi » #590368

Bottom post of the previous page:

Election 13's primary debate is shaping up to be whether or not to deadmin Sticky. This reveals Sticky's immense power over the headmins.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #590369

I said the thing about players not having anything meaningful to base their vote on due to a lack of transparency that's as good as baked in at this point and within two posts it went off in the more comfortable direction of the inactive admin Deep State and vigorous debate about the appropriateness of half-measures (like filtering admins with less than 5 hours playtime in three months) that could be taken to deal with the apparent issue.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #590371

cacogen wrote:I said the thing about players not having anything meaningful to base their vote on due to a lack of transparency that's as good as baked in at this point and within two posts it went off in the more comfortable direction of the inactive admin Deep State and vigorous debate about the appropriateness of half-measures (like filtering admins with less than 5 hours playtime in three months) that could be taken to deal with the apparent issue.
Yes, we made this entire forum for you, everything is about you! In fact, this entire election was just so we could all react to what you have to say!
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #590372

Armhulen wrote:
cacogen wrote:I said the thing about players not having anything meaningful to base their vote on due to a lack of transparency that's as good as baked in at this point and within two posts it went off in the more comfortable direction of the inactive admin Deep State and vigorous debate about the appropriateness of half-measures (like filtering admins with less than 5 hours playtime in three months) that could be taken to deal with the apparent issue.
Yes, we made this entire forum for you, everything is about you! In fact, this entire election was just so we could all react to what you have to say!
Alternate thread title: Armhulen copes and seethes aggressively
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590373

thehogshotgun wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Alternate thread title: Armhulen copes and seethes aggressively
I can only take so much before I
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590375

Armhulen wrote:
Do you honestly read that post like that or do you just hate the idea of meaningful transparency? It's weird you'd react like this because you're the one holding court in this thread and you're the one saying the inactive admin thing isn't a real issue. I agree with what you've said in this thread and I don't know if you're running but any desire to see you as headmin rapidly diminished. You made the forum? TLE, is that you?
NSFW:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #590378

Armhulen wrote:
terranaut wrote:If that's ur only issue with Naloac after 6 months he was probably doing alright
This term was pretty good loved the headmins.
yeah i really dug dom and coco
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #590388

Armhulen wrote:
You both need therapy.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #590390

people who live in glass houses should shit in the basement
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590393

Super Aggro Crag wrote:people who live in glass houses should shit in the basement
hahaha i've never heard this before it's poetry
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #590394

ive said it at least twice
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #590398

Concerned about jannie deep state? Here is a wild thought: Give your playervote to a player instead. What do you think about that? :geek:
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #590408

BONERMASTER wrote:Concerned about jannie deep state? Here is a wild thought: Give your playervote to a player instead. What do you think about that? :geek:
the player candidates are always dogshit. They're either literally whos or people I know the name of for the wrong reasons.
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #590419

what headmins even doing? just voting yes or no on ban appeals?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590427

cacogen wrote:
Armhulen wrote:player vote is about name recognition and false promises
Yeah
cacogen wrote:I'm not sure what to base my vote on given most of what the admins do isn't visible to us I think last time I just voted for Bindy because it seemed appropriate
Really makes you think
It occurred to me this evening this is like I was taking what Armhulen said and insultingly suggesting I'd already said it instead of agreeing with him and then adding what I'd said in that context to make the implication more obvious

Anyway while admins who Rarely play should have their basic human rights stripped from them in the way Stickymayhem alluded to and should not be consulted beforehand like Misdoubtful suggested and while the threshold for inactivity should be far higher than 5 hours in three months the real issue is the player vote being a running joke given the lack of transparency in the day to day decision making of the admins to the point where they have no idea who they're actually voting for but I don't think anything I can say about it is going to make people acknowledge this
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590428

I was also too rude to you cacogen so i made you a card, sorry :^(

terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #590429

cacogen wrote:
cacogen wrote:
Armhulen wrote:player vote is about name recognition and false promises
Yeah
cacogen wrote:I'm not sure what to base my vote on given most of what the admins do isn't visible to us I think last time I just voted for Bindy because it seemed appropriate
Really makes you think
It occurred to me this evening this is like I was taking what Armhulen said and insultingly suggesting I'd already said it instead of agreeing with him and then adding what I'd said in that context to make the implication more obvious

Anyway while admins who Rarely play should have their basic human rights stripped from them in the way Stickymayhem alluded to and should not be consulted beforehand like Misdoubtful suggested and while the threshold for inactivity should be far higher than 5 hours in three months the real issue is the player vote being a running joke given the lack of transparency in the day to day decision making of the admins to the point where they have no idea who they're actually voting for but I don't think anything I can say about it is going to make people acknowledge this
i could give you an effort post in reply to this but i'm just gonna do what an admin would do and lolpost because i belong to the superior admin caste and you're just a stinky player
lol
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #590430

terranaut wrote: i could give you an effort post in reply to this but i'm just gonna do what an admin would do and lolpost because i belong to the superior admin caste and you're just a stinky player
lol
I doubt you're still in the admin caste
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #590431

trollbreeder wrote:
terranaut wrote: i could give you an effort post in reply to this but i'm just gonna do what an admin would do and lolpost because i belong to the superior admin caste and you're just a stinky player
lol
I doubt you're still in the admin caste
i specifically prefaced my post with "im going to do what an admin would do"
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #590432

just talked with the admins and they told me to give terra an honorary thank you for his hard work. we couldn't do it without viewers like you
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #590438

please, no thanks, i do it for free just like the jannies
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #590460

The candidates individual threads will hopefully provide some meaningful background to make an informed vote. With your call for transparency, potentially somebody who is running who supports public ban appeals might be up your alley(As much as I abhor public ban lists).

Regarding transparency, to be real the only places you're going to talk to or see admins is when online either doing events or being on either side of an ahelp. Think about the candidates you've interacted with during an ahelp who were helpful or at least treated you fairly. In discord there is a couple channels we mostly throw catgirl images around in and while online it's mostly observing and not really chatting.

What would meaningful transparency look like to you?
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #590461

adminchat being publically logged especially when someone get banned cause some third party jannie said so
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590462

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:adminchat being publically logged especially when someone get banned cause some third party jannie said so
How do you solve the problem of us discussing IPs, hidden notes (is this guy metacomming etc stuff that would ruin the point if player knows) and also us freely talking about rounds in progress? I'm not trying to sass you but these are the problems that need fixing if you make it public
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #590463

remove hidden notes, ban metacommers and adminchat being in the round end logs
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590464

Maybe I should have explained a bit more about catching metacommers. round end logs is pretty sweet solution doe if we're entertaining the idea
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590466

Private discussion would then be moved to other channels and you wouldn’t really be getting anything out of it.

Perhaps if we had some sort of established framework for requesting asay/ticket logs of a particular round be publicized, which goes to game admins who decide whether they’re safe to release (and prune sensitive or private information from them).
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #590467

if admins are talking about their private bank account and personal infos like home adress and cell phone in admin chat maybe they arent using their tools right
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590470

Actually let me modify that by saying that you would definitely be getting something of value even if private discussion is moved to other channels, but I’m not convinced that’s worth it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590471

wesoda25 wrote:Actually let me modify that by saying that you would definitely be getting something of value even if private discussion is moved to other channels, but I’m not convinced that’s worth it.
#admin-containment (just casual chat for admins)
#admin-bus
#admin-bus-players-cant-see-this

Which one are you gonna use?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590472

Armhulen wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Actually let me modify that by saying that you would definitely be getting something of value even if private discussion is moved to other channels, but I’m not convinced that’s worth it.
#admin-bus

or the inevitability of just a new discord being created tbh
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590473

Jaredfogle wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
#admin-bus

Well I guess you could have that be a rule headmins set, unlike players we can only fragment if headmins let us and they really shouldn't!!
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #590475

if you have nothing to hide you can answer tickets and make events as admin just fine ?
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #590478

kopoba wrote:what headmins even doing? just voting yes or no on ban appeals?
they change configs for policies & can overturn & accept ban appeals and complains respectively
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590484

Armhulen wrote:I was also too rude to you cacogen so i made you a card, sorry :^(

The previous evening I had been sipping from my wine goblet having just cut into my steak (rare) mulling over the day's events and it suddenly occurred to me my autism had gotten the better of me once again. Anyway, thank you I'm going to put this on the fridge.
NSFW:

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #590499

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590521

Domitius wrote:The candidates individual threads will hopefully provide some meaningful background to make an informed vote. With your call for transparency, potentially somebody who is running who supports public ban appeals might be up your alley(As much as I abhor public ban lists).
It's hard to take what people say they're going to do at face value without their past conduct to look at.
Domitius wrote:Regarding transparency, to be real the only places you're going to talk to or see admins is when online either doing events or being on either side of an ahelp. Think about the candidates you've interacted with during an ahelp who were helpful or at least treated you fairly. In discord there is a couple channels we mostly throw catgirl images around in and while online it's mostly observing and not really chatting.

What would meaningful transparency look like to you?
Logs of what the admins actually do. Things like adminhelp logs and probably asay to provide the necessary context. The specifics, like whether to censor player ckeys, how to hide IP addresses in chat, etc. could be discussed later.

I know the admins pride themselves in having exclusive access to adminbus. I think it being private is probably less of an issue and a harder one to solve. Admins would just talk elsewhere if it were publicised and things that they felt needed to be kept secret would be discussed in unlogged channels anyway.
Armhulen wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
#admin-bus

Well I guess you could have that be a rule headmins set, unlike players we can only fragment if headmins let us and they really shouldn't!!
Well yes, discussing admin business outside of the bus without a valid reason would be against the rules and frowned upon. You'd still have your special off-topic chat for socialising with Rarely plays forevermins and even shittalking players I guess.
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590531

It's already against the rules to chillax and shitpost in adminbus if basically anything is going on, so the real issue is still losing the ability to talk about situations freely imo
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #590532

It's already against the rules to chillax and shitpost in adminbus
you're damn right
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590534

Armhulen wrote:
#admin-bus

I’ve rewritten this post like 3 times now and can’t seem to put it right so I’ll just say this.

If messages in adminbus were to be perfectly logged (achieved best probably by disallowing people from editing/deleting their own posts) I would be onboard with it. Until then discord is an inferior medium from a logging standpoint and thus makes internal investigation more difficult.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590536

time to go back to the irc bros lets go!

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590537

Jaredfogle wrote:time to go back to the irc bros lets go!
mmm, microsoft comic chat... :)
wesoda25 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
#admin-bus

I’ve rewritten this post like 3 times now and can’t seem to put it right so I’ll just say this.

If messages in adminbus were to be perfectly logged (achieved best probably by disallowing people from editing/deleting their own posts) I would be onboard with it. Until then discord is an inferior medium from a logging standpoint and thus makes internal investigation more difficult.
My issue is that you have to then censor anything you post in admin-bus like it would be publicly logged. no posting tickets, no posting ckeys, ips, cids, etc. god that'd be annoying censoring it all and deleting ips and the like after people read it
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590538

? I'm not proposing bus be made public, I'm talking about if asay was.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #590539

My issue is that you have to then censor anything you post in admin-bus like it would be publicly logged. no posting tickets, no posting ckeys, ips, cids, etc. god that'd be annoying censoring it all and deleting ips and the like after people read it
Hypothetically for this: could do a separate channel just for that stuff and be like, "hey reference the thing I posted in 'info-bus' (or something I'm bad at names) about xyz". Its probably not the greatest solution and it adds a bit of work, but it is something. Certainly better than having to scrub and delete things.

Same could be done for asay, "hey I posted x in bus about 123".

Again though, not really the best.
Hugs
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #590544

it's pointless because the discussion just moves there, admin-auditorium literally existed for this exact principle and was completely unused, other than for memes
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #590547

Who the fuck deleted my picture I drew
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590550

oranges is right, It doesn't really matter if i'm talking about bus or asay because of what the fruit said. We simply want to use the chat that is most convenient for us and there is nothing convenient with risking leaking player info by mindlessly chatting in asay/adminbus/otherwise
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590552

Oh I thought you were arguing in favor of public asay logs.
wesoda25 wrote:Private discussion would then be moved to other channels and you wouldn’t really be getting anything out of it.

Perhaps if we had some sort of established framework for requesting asay/ticket logs of a particular round be publicized, which goes to game admins who decide whether they’re safe to release (and prune sensitive or private information from them).
anyways i still think that'd ^ be cool something to think about for people trying to get the player vote!!
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #590554

wesoda25 wrote:Oh I thought you were arguing in favor of public asay logs.
wesoda25 wrote:Private discussion would then be moved to other channels and you wouldn’t really be getting anything out of it.

anyways i still think that'd ^ be cool something to think about for people trying to get the player vote!!
That already happens and it's pretty sick yo! In ban appeals and the like there are some logs that are raw only like href logs and players or admins can use those in ban appeals if it's relevant (players asking admins for some href logs of course instead of just grabbing it themselves, they still need to be pruned like normal)
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #590555

really surprised it's election time again

this term seemed really short!
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590563

Armhulen wrote:That already happens and it's pretty sick yo! In ban appeals and the like there are some logs that are raw only like href logs and players or admins can use those in ban appeals if it's relevant (players asking admins for some href logs of course instead of just grabbing it themselves, they still need to be pruned like normal)
I was thinking more of an automated process. What if you're not making an appeal? Just somewhere a player can request logs for a round, give their reason, and then game admins can accept or deny the request and do the necessary pruning. Probably wouldn't be public.

Of course if admins are going to go through the effort it begs the question of, why not just report whatever behavior you are looking into to them in the first place? I'd understand if headmins didn't want to engage in another level of bureaucracy, since at the end of the day it's a game community and the administration regulates itself seemingly well enough already.

Just spitballing since people were talking about greater transparency.