Identified the genre and gameplay loop of AI

General SS13 Chat
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Identified the genre and gameplay loop of AI

Post by confused rock » #600566

AI's always been weird. Back when I first started playing "malf ai" was a common gamemode where the only antag was the AI trying to go delta. and since this was before science and mining got a load of bullshit tools, they actually had a chance (disregarding perseus adminbus on LLAstation). It's always been weird, but I realise a genre originating AFTER malf AI was created defines the genre it is a part of.

The AI going delta is A five night's at freddy's reference.

Let me lay it out:

as you can see, Malf AI is literally five nights at freddy's. I'm sure there are more similarities, but I'd rest my case otherwise.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Identified the genre and gameplay loop of AI

Post by RaveRadbury » #600567

This just proves it
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #600569

cabinet man is just a fnaf reference
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #600571

in the words of raveradbury
this just proves it

wait shit I realized AI is my second most-played job no I'm not a fnaf player NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #600573

Makes perfect sense to me
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #600579

Dear god.

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #600583

in five night's at freddy's: sister location, you start your shift by giving your adversaries "controlled shocks." this is prevalent in a later fnaf game at well. This is reminiscient of the turrets the AI has, which give non-lethal controlled shocks. This is also the purpose of the controlled shocks in five nights pizzeria- controlled shocks are used to stop your adversary from getting up and killing you- the hardstun cancels their "jumpscare" action, just like hardstuns from turrets cancel someone's "weld down wall" action.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #600585

this is an unusually high quality post.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #600586

when did ''gameplay loop'' become the new buzzword?
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #600587

THIS MEANS WE NEED TO ANALYZE AI LORE
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #600592

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:when did ''gameplay loop'' become the new buzzword?
I feel like I've been having to read it for close to a year now? I think video essays did it to them. It's painful I think because it suggests a level of knowledge that isn't actually there. I doubt most developers have ever used it.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #600593

cacogen wrote:I doubt most developers have ever used it.
I was reading game dev books in the early teens and it was coming up then.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #600594

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:when did ''gameplay loop'' become the new buzzword?
most tlal post ive ever read
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #600595

cacogen wrote: I doubt most developers have ever used it.
game designers use the term "gameplay loop" often and have for years especially when referring to both individual mechanics and of the game as a whole

source: am game designer
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #600596

cacogen wrote: I feel like I've been having to read it for close to a year now? I think video essays did it to them. It's painful I think because it suggests a level of knowledge that isn't actually there. I doubt most developers have ever used it.
I don't like using it because it reminds me that this is an actual video game, but mothblocks keeps bullying me into it
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #600616

I'll take your word for it. It's obnoxious when people who aren't developers use it, though.
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #600617

i agree fwiw
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #600619

Actually using the concept of gameplay loop reveals why the structure of SS13 has fundamental flaws.

It is also why an incredibly simple game like among us is so much more popular than ss13. The concept of both is "Do your job on a space station while a traitor is trying to kill you". Only among us capitalizes on that concept and ss13 drifts about because it has so many things distracting from that core concept, it also fails in having a clear game ending objective for the crew, the only way for the game to end is by voluntarily ending it through shuttle call (of course some modes break this rule).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #600621

Antagonists are fundamentally opposed to both job gameplay and roleplaying. The immediacy with which they can force people to sit out for long periods of time make roleplay not worth the risk and jobs not worth the time. I'm not saying the game would be better without antagonists. Just that they often disincentivise doing your job or roleplaying in favour of not wasting your time or having to sit out.
NSFW:

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #600624

AI has the highest APM requirement of any job. The entire time I am panning across the station, looking for trouble. Also setting all the intercoms to my private frequency, with the speaker off and microphone on, so I can get intelligence as well. If a threat to the station is located, my job is to lock it down with firelocks, report its location, and prevent human harm.
If you do your job as AI correctly, nobody dies.
It's a hard job to do. It's like pitching a perfect game
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #600627

To Be Fair, You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Playing AI
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #600629

Helios wrote:AI has the highest APM requirement of any job. The entire time I am panning across the station, looking for trouble. Also setting all the intercoms to my private frequency, with the speaker off and microphone on, so I can get intelligence as well. If a threat to the station is located, my job is to lock it down with firelocks, report its location, and prevent human harm.
Really? I find AI to be really low paced most of the time. I usually scroll the camera a bit. Asimov prevents meaningfully stopping harm happening anyway due to how restrictive it is.

I did stun a captain that was executing a nuke ops once, hilarity ensues when the entire station got mad when the ops got up, shot the captain and stole the disk.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Helios

Post by Helios » #600636

CPTANT wrote:
Helios wrote:AI has the highest APM requirement of any job. The entire time I am panning across the station, looking for trouble. Also setting all the intercoms to my private frequency, with the speaker off and microphone on, so I can get intelligence as well. If a threat to the station is located, my job is to lock it down with firelocks, report its location, and prevent human harm.
Really? I find AI to be really low paced most of the time. I usually scroll the camera a bit. Asimov prevents meaningfully stopping harm happening anyway due to how restrictive it is.

I did stun a captain that was executing a nuke ops once, hilarity ensues when the entire station got mad when the ops got up, shot the captain and stole the disk.
You gotta get more active with your door bolting/firelock usage. Antagonists can be in your area for a few seconds. If security mentions a criminal on their security line, locate him and report back where he is. Turning on the intercoms at HoP's office/chemistry is useful, because it tells you who the troublemakers are. The assistant who got all access, the Atmos Tech that got thermite from the chemist, all feeds into the threat profile of the crew, knowing who to trust and who to keep tabs on.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #600645

Helios wrote: If security mentions a criminal on their security line, locate him and report back where he is.
No this is complete shit tier AI playing, you are not securities doormat. You aren't even on their side, you prevent harm, whatever side it comes from.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #600646

Honestly I prefer to just vibe as a silicon. It's too easy to ruin the round for less experienced antag players as an experienced AI if you powergame.
Helios

Post by Helios » #600660

CPTANT wrote:
Helios wrote: If security mentions a criminal on their security line, locate him and report back where he is.
No this is complete shit tier AI playing, you are not securities doormat. You aren't even on their side, you prevent harm, whatever side it comes from.
If the station runs smoothly, they'll be using tasers, not lasers, to apprehend criminals.
If the station degrades sufficiently, as an AI you have to change your calculus, but if you are doing your job it never gets to that point. Security is on the station for a reason.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #600682

Helios wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
If the station runs smoothly, they'll be using tasers, not lasers, to apprehend criminals.
If the station degrades sufficiently, as an AI you have to change your calculus, but if you are doing your job it never gets to that point. Security is on the station for a reason.
So you are busy because you ignore asimov and validhunt the entire round, got it.
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #600688

Last edited by technokek on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helios

Post by Helios » #600693

If trying to contain blood cults summoning their dark god through human sacrifice, or nuclear operatives trying to kill every single person on the station through a nuclear explosion is "validhunting", you aren't following Asimov yourself.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #600752

Helios wrote:If trying to contain blood cults summoning their dark god through human sacrifice, or nuclear operatives trying to kill every single person on the station through a nuclear explosion is "validhunting", you aren't following Asimov yourself.
If you send security officers to handle those threats, you are intentionally causing them to move near danger.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #600754

As an AI, I strive to do the absolute minimum number of tasks possible. I keep an eye out for human harm, and I follow law 2 orders from humans. That's it.
If you're being helpful even when your laws don't obligate you to be, you aren't doing AI right.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #600756

Farquaar wrote: If you're being helpful even when your laws don't obligate you to be, you aren't doing AI right.
How proactively helpful I am heavily depends on the station pop. If every department is staffed, just chillin'. If there are big gaps, I try not to let them be miserable about "there's no power" or "there's nobody doing R&D" or the like.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #600767

Farquaar wrote:As an AI, I strive to do the absolute minimum number of tasks possible. I keep an eye out for human harm, and I follow law 2 orders from humans. That's it.
If you're being helpful even when your laws don't obligate you to be, you aren't doing AI right.
As Mike Schmidt, I strive to do the absolute minimum number of tasks possible. I keep an eye out for animatronics with the door lights and opening the hall 2b camera to stall foxy and freddy, and I close the doors when bonnie or chica are there. That's it. If you're checking cameras even when the situation doesn't require you to be, you're going to run out of power.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #600768

Pandarsenic wrote: How proactively helpful I am heavily depends on the station pop. If every department is staffed, just chillin'. If there are big gaps, I try not to let them be miserable about "there's no power" or "there's nobody doing R&D" or the like.
How proactive I am checking cameras depends on how many animatronics are moving. If everyone is where they're supposed to be, just chillin'. If I don't know where any of them are, I try not to be miserable about "If I keep this up I'll run out of power" or "I can't be sure they aren't in the dining hall" or the like.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #600771

never played fnaf because im a massive pansy
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #600779

saprasam wrote:never played fnaf because im a massive pansy
*screams in your face* ahh! ahh!

lol scared you

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #600814

saprasam wrote:never played fnaf because im a massive pansy
never played AI because im a massive pansy (scared I'll get banned if I miss a law 2 order)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #600819

this just proves it

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601018

i remember when these shits were flavour of the month on /v/ and just not getting it at all they sucked and i'm glad furries ran it into the ground with their illness
NSFW:

CrudeWax
Byond Username: CrudeWax

Post by CrudeWax » #601304

This is utterly genius
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #601374

Finally a horror game that's actually scary being screamed at by men in fursuits
NSFW: