What is MRP?

General SS13 Chat
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

What is MRP?

Post by Misdoubtful » #639183

I have thought about posting this thread for months now...

Short and simple: what is MRP to you?

For those wanting to say more: what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

For the daring: Does something in particular attract you to the RP servers? Does something keep you away from them?

And for the extreme: What would you change about them?

-----

Also posted this in a policy thread but this is a common breakdown of the RP levels that has floated around for years across the other SS13 servers in roughly the same format that might give you a place to start:
Low-RP
LRP servers do not generally require any sort of roleplaying from the players, or if they do it's at a bare minimum. Even if players are required to speak and act in-character there are little to no restrictions on what they are allowed to know in-game, although metagaming is usually still against the rules.

Medium-RP
MRP servers tend to enforce the idea that your character acts like themselves and not as if they have a player controlling their actions. There are usually very loose restrictions on what your character might know in-game. Your character might be familiar with multiple different jobs and be capable of performing them with ease. Some MRP servers enforce the rule that your character can only know one or two jobs but are otherwise lenient about how you can act in-game.

High-RP
HRP servers take roleplaying quite seriously. Your character is expected to act consistently concerning past behaviour, to do their job with skill, and to not interfere with the jobs of other crew members without a good reason. As an example, if you choose to play a Botanist it is expected that you do not know how to set up the engine like an Engineer.
Hugs
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: What is MRP?

Post by wesoda25 » #639193

Idk what (our) MRP is, seems largely defined by culture and im not familiar so i avoid it. Some of its rules and the things they indirectly cause really clash with my thoughts on how the game should be so im sort of uncomfortable playing there.

Good for certain characters though
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #639194

MRP to me is a place where words and text preface combat in-game. Ex: Nukies try to come to some sort of deal with the captain for the disk. It falls through, and a violent shoot out commences. Or Curator is the only one who stands a chance at defusing total war between xenomorphs and crew.

Fun stuff like that you dont get on LRP! But can definitely create memorable moments.

Edit: It could also be the resolution to certain conflicts too! On MRP usually you should apt to give up the art of surprise for conversations, but if you do choose to go for surprise, you should give you helpless victim a nice monologue before you finish them off.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #639195

medium roleplay
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #639196

bad
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #639200

LRP with shit antags.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #639214

>what is MRP to you?
Furry roleplaying chatroom dominated by a clique of hall monitors, or Furcadia with 60 players

>What do you like about it?
Longer rounds so more time to work on things. Less chaotic so the quality/length of your round is not governed by the whims of powergamers

>What do you not like about it?
Nothing ever happens. People get mad at antags for doing their jobs. Friendly antags. People being friendly towards antags to avoid being round removed, enabling them to kill anyone they like with impunity. Gatekeeping, particularly in situations where what they’re gatekeeping doesn’t matter or the person they’re gatekeeping has a good reason to be doing whatever they’re doing. People who validhunt antags despite it being MRP. The in-group out-group bias you constantly see with people’s willingness to do their jobs.

>Does something in particular attract you to the RP servers?
When I play LRP I feel like I’m hanging out at a high school

>Does something keep you away from them?
Nothing happening and the same tedious interactions

>What would you change about them?
Make the population cap higher, just because I like high pop rounds and think rounds would be more lively as a result
BangingDonk
Byond Username: BangingDonk

Post by BangingDonk » #639265

To me, MRP is a level of roleplay where you can have interactions between players that span between rounds, where you actually get to the point where you actually start to learn the idiosyncrasies of various crewmembers beyond “this player will always try to steal the spare” or “this player is GOING to make a meth factory”, but isn’t at the point where you’re required or even expected to come up with an application or interview process or something equally stifling. You’re expected to at least try to do something with the setting, but just trying is good enough.

This might be somewhere between MRP and LRP, and might even be closer to LRP, but over the years, it’s generally where I end up gravitating towards. Besides, it’s not like you can’t roleplay at all on LRP servers, it’s just often a little more difficult if something more pressing is happening.

I like what Manuel brings to the table because it creates an avenue where I can just think about what characters (mine, other players, theoretical antagonists or whatever) would do in given situations, both inside and outside the game. Life’s a lot busier nowadays, and I don’t get as much opportunity to play as much as I used to, so it’s nice to just have that as something to dwell on. What I don’t like so much is that it feels like that everything feels like it’s gradually been getting more and more complex, while simultaneously putting heavier restrictions on what antagonists can actually do to drive the round. I started playing SS13 back in the days of constant singulo sabotage and double e-sword noslips rampages, and while it absolutely sucked to get round removed by a changeling miner in the first five minutes of the round, it definitely felt like more things happened back then.

Manuel definitely brought me back to SS13 and it’s my primary server nowadays, but I feel like that I should definitely try other servers, or even other codebases, to see what improvements could be made. But at the same time, I’m not going to fill out a damn roleplaying resume to try out some places, only to find out that I can’t stand either the code or the playerbase. I’ve played that game enough in the past, and I’m tired of it.

I think that the policy thread on station sabotage on MRP servers is a potential step in the right direction. I fit the MRP stereotype pretty well – I’m pretty conflict adverse, but at the same time, I definitely enjoy having to make my way through a half-destroyed station during a red alert. Explosions are more interesting than getting magdumped and thrown into space. That, and I think it might be worth turning off progtraitor – it’s almost like bounties at this point where you’ve got antagonists just doing crime bounties for a mass of TC that they’ll never actually end up using. I’m not wholly sold on dynamic as a concept, but that might be more of a personal preference than anything else. Maybe because seeing revs show up alongside anything else is just a nightmare and a half for a round.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #639266

I would do well to answer this thread myself as well...

what is MRP to you?

I came from Luna Legacy Bay forever ago on another account, and floated around different servers since then (and a lot of HRP servers). I've done a lot of acting, movie casting, and radio stuff in my time as well outside of the internet. As such, I see MRP as playing a character the same way you would in a movie casting, theatre performance, or ongoing radio skit. The character doesn't change much or develop much, the personality of the character is the actual selling point, whereas in some TV shows development is always happening. So its something pretty episodic in my eyes considering how the set works to be the same each time.

what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

I appreciate being able to stick to that static character it gets pretty thoughtless when you have it all figured out without having to consider things changing, and instead focus on things in that episodic kind of way. Not really anything I don't like though specifically, nothing wrong with consistency.

does something in particular attract you to the RP servers? Does something keep you away from them?

I said it in another thread but when Manuel came around with the RP rules of the Goon and the speed, pacing, uniqueness of TG I figured it might be able hit that Sealab 2021 capable environment just right. I still do.

what would you change about them?

I'd like to see more understanding of what kind of environment the baseline could foster, and see more of the chaos that we had seen when the server came about. I fully understand it develops into its own culture, I would just hope that people would be willing to play along with the improv that others might try to spur along, even if it might appear "lrp" in nature to them.
Hugs
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639278

MRP feels a bit forced RP for me, LRP has roleplay that is more natural and flows better.

I played Manuel a bit we had the community meeting, and I hear "Somebody was having an ic breakdown they have a blood phobia, and the clown comes and gibs themself."
and deemed the clown an asshole, I find it silly to find the clown an asshole but maybe that's just me. The whole conversation of someone having a breakdown IC feels weird though.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #639286

Phobias are pretty crippling gameplay-wise, I don't know why you'd ever choose to have one. Providing more stimuli for the phobia just to freeze up the other person's character is kind of dickish. Although if they were giving what they thought was a Viola Davis in Doubt level performance while it was happening that's pretty gay
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #639297

MRP to me is playing a believable character and interacting with other characters like a normal functioning sentient being would while still maintaining important gameplay functions that make space station 13 what it is. You don't have to write paragraph long emotes to play a believable character. That's what I like about MRP, there's no stressing over "is what I'm doing good enough" but the feeling of roleplay is still there.

I feel like Manuel players allowed themselves to be struck with some toxic elitism, where people get upset if they're messed with and any actual conflict is "LRP shitter behavior". In my opinion Manuel needs to chill the fuck out and remember that we're not an HRP server, you're gonna get your shit kicked in sometimes and that's okay.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #639300

A containment zone for the unrobust. All of its rules are just insulation against better players.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #639304

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:42 am Somebody was having an ic breakdown they have a blood phobia, and the clown comes and gibs themself."
peak clown
Weston Echard on Sybil
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #639337

I don't play MRP but I've always explained it to candidates as lowering the freedom of antagonists and non-antagonists in favor of telling a better story
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639344

Mothblocks wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:59 pm I don't play MRP but I've always explained it to candidates as lowering the freedom of antagonists and non-antagonists in favor of telling a better story
I feel the best stories come naturally, you get more stories from mrp but the good ones are rarer(LRP)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #639400

[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/xx2LLXnSseY[/bbvideo]

Pretty much the scope of what I think of /tg/ MRP, the actual MRP i like is hosted in private whitelisted communities.

Spoiler:
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #639401

Living God

Extraordinary Person

jortsandshirts
Byond Username: Jortymorty

Post by jortsandshirts » #639724

MRP is a thing that confuses the dullwitted into thinking that the way we've played this hogwild dogshit game forever is wrong and that if we're not good little robots staying on task then we are obviously shitters who require being reprimanded for wacky antics and provoking our coworkers.
Skorpio
Byond Username: Skorpting

Post by Skorpio » #639728

I understand MRP as being LRP with more meaningful interactions and good faith gameplay. Therefore it stops the round devolving into a team death match at 10 mins with a 20 min shuttle call. This also removes the "necessity" to power game and be constantly robust so I suppose that makes it more relaxing.
At the moment, I think Manuel could do with freeing the antagonists a bit more so that reliable conflict can occur justifiying the paranoia which is an essential part of this game.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #640186

A make pretend ruleset you use to put on your headmin app
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #640198

CPTANT wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:55 am LRP with shit antags.
LRP with neutered antags.

Some people play MRP for this reason, because as long as they are not a heretic/traitor objective they don't have to worry about their gaming being interrupted by maxcaps.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #640245

What is MRP? /tg/station before 2019. A bit more RP than Goon, without the restrictions of Bay.
What is Manuel? A disappointment. The culture of the server has developed in a warped way in no small part to the hugbox ruleset.
What would I change? The "murderbone rule" ought to be entirely scrapped, and mass death should be expected if not encouraged. Rule 12 and rule 1 are enough to curb any unfun instances of a powergamer silently killing everyone in maint and gibbing the bodies; RP is best when antags are encouraged to cause mayhem and chaos.
► Show Spoiler
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #640263

I cry for old Sybil, for it was the best MRP experience I have ever had.

It's why I fought to make Manuel less shit with the threads I made, and I feel like I'm well aware of the situation and it's exact failings.

To make my views concise, the attempt to facilitate natural roleplay and atmosphere by enforcing arbitrary and absolute restrictions on player action is poor logic. I would gut all of the roleplay rules with the exception of rule 9 (coherent and believable character) which I think still requires a rewrite. "Roleplay" shouldn't consist of acting like normal while also navigating a minefield of shakey rules.

To properly build this, we need culture as opposed to restrictions.

Although this will almost surely not happen, I would have great interest in stripping away Manuel's rules, any seeing what remains that separates it.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #640264

For a less pretentious answer:
It's when you don't act like there is a player controlling you, unless its a really funny forth wall break
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #640280

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:42 am For a less pretentious answer:
It's when you don't act like there is a player controlling you, unless its a really funny forth wall break
But I am Gupta.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #640288

as someone who doesnt play mrp servers: prioritizing having fun and ic interaction over winning as hard as possible

thats not to say the goal of lrp isnt to prioritize having fun but its two different sorts of fun
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #640303

To me MRP means "the server people go play on and get banned for shit reasons"
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #640307

nianjiilical wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 am as someone who doesnt play mrp servers: prioritizing having fun and ic interaction over winning as hard as possible

thats not to say the goal of lrp isnt to prioritize having fun but its two different sorts of fun
wtf same person who announced I killed beddy bazbear With my bear hands says this?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

stewydeadmike
Byond Username: Stewydeadmike

Post by stewydeadmike » #640330

I always imagined MRP to have the same sort of vibe of like HLVRAI or a chill TTRPG session. You play at least a semi-consistent character, and engage with the game through the lens of that character. Kinda like improv acting.

What's both frustrating and enjoyable about Manuel though is that occasionally things will fall into place just right and you'll get a pretty amazing story out of it. A glimpse at what it could be like if people weren't so god damn boring. A lot of which comes down to most of Manuels culture stemming from a reaction to the hyperchaotic LRP playstyle. So most people, broadly speaking, just did the opposite of that instead of coming up with a sort of collective idea of what roleplay meant.

As for what to change? Besides the rules as others have mentioned I think there needs to be a bigger cultural push to get people to be more creative and open to conflict. On a more actionable note I think it's about time someone made a "how 2 RP 4 Dummies" guide or something. Like Goon has one I don't see why TG shouldn't have one either.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #640339

stewydeadmike wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:23 pm What's both frustrating and enjoyable about Manuel though is that occasionally things will fall into place just right and you'll get a pretty amazing story out of it. A glimpse at what it could be like if people weren't so god damn boring. A lot of which comes down to most of Manuels culture stemming from a reaction to the hyperchaotic LRP playstyle. So most people, broadly speaking, just did the opposite of that instead of coming up with a sort of collective idea of what roleplay meant.

As for what to change? Besides the rules as others have mentioned I think there needs to be a bigger cultural push to get people to be more creative and open to conflict. On a more actionable note I think it's about time someone made a "how 2 RP 4 Dummies" guide or something. Like Goon has one I don't see why TG shouldn't have one either.
You're quite right. I think a major issue is that many Manuel players are not roleplaying at all- they're doing "LRP but friendly/safe/boring". Good RP requires stakes and conflict- otherwise you're just playing a greenshift with some smalltalk here and there.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #640415

what is MRP to you?
Everyone agrees to at least a few minimum RP premises:
- The lore matters. It is the basis of who everyone is as characters and where they're from. There is more than passing attention to the existence of a larger world beyond the station and CentCom.
- Your character has a personality, opinions, and beliefs. And that's beyond stuff like thin racism memes. Characters have different, consistent opinions about silicon lifeforms, different Syndicate factions, best and worst foods, brand loyalties, and so on. People will fight over certain things but not others, side with certain styles of security or antag for IC reasons but not others.
- People have jobs and they do them (and avoid self-antagging) because they will undergo financial hardship if they don't. You might swipe some office supplies but you don't fuck around with big shit without reason.
- Players at least nominally define a reason when their characters are antagonists - they've been replaced by a Syndie Agent with genetics injectors, they're being blackmailed, they're being threatened, etc.
- You might establish a continuity of "Hey that happened before" or you might decide some (or all) of your antag rounds aren't part of your character's long-term canon.
- You might establish all, some, or none of your own deaths as part of your character's long-term canon, as you find interesting.
- Details of your character may change round-to-round, and you may or may not acknowledge that ("Weren't you just an Engineer last shift?"), with a sort of "We agree not to look at it too closely" clause.
- No OOC in IC unless it'll be REALLY funny. Not flavor of the month funny.
- Death is a serious, traumatic issue (unless treating it otherwise, like mass suicides in the HOP line, would be really funny). Once you're out of the first few minutes, death is to be properly avoided. Even a brief death is an awful experience.

In short - you play and roleplay a real fuckin' character, not a thin mechanical extension of yourself, even when you demonstrate broad mechanical mastery for convenience or stay conscious and have no sedation or anesthetic during surgery. You may not be perfectly realistic, but you're a character.

what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?
It gives a sense of persistent personality to everyone. People do stuff and are more interesting than

Does something in particular attract you to the RP servers? Does something keep you away from them?
Our MRP server isn't really MRP.

What would you change about them?
Expectation of the above, rather than "LRP without violence"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
enginseer-42
Byond Username: Enginseer-42

Post by enginseer-42 » #640559

In my view...

No RolePlay: Your job is just a mechanical package of access and starting equipment that defines your starting position. It is purely a team death match between antag and crew, with no real chain of command. Certain roles are essentially alternative assistants with different access. There is no expectation to stay in your lane or avoid using other departments mechanics.

Low RolePlay: The Chain of Command exists and is respected, certain jobs have authority or respect, your job comes with responsibilities as well as access and equipment. But there's still no expectation that you're playing a character rather than just a role.

Medium RolePlay: Your character has a certain level of actual characterization, but with no real expectation of that characterization being reasonable or sane for their job, but is very definitively a character rather than just a role. You're Joe the Janitor, not just The Janitor. Certain levels of metagame (IE Suicide, Using knowledge of Antags and their powers, reworking the station to hinder antagonists unreasonably, etc.) are discouraged because of that, but not entirely forbidden if appropriate. Discussion and RP becomes more important, and wordless action is curtailed.

High RolePlay: Your character is a fully written out character. With a sensible backstory related to their job and role. The outside lore of the world becomes more important, and metagame discussion of mechanics and metagame actions like suicide are highly curtailed. Wordless action is even more heavily curtailed.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #640721

medium roleplay should feel like a flash game where you have to steal percs from your grandmas medicine cabinet

high rp should be that but with mgs gameplay