Roleplaying - The Unspoken Rules and Their Unsettling Implications

General SS13 Chat
Swavementa
Byond Username: Cingemasterb

Roleplaying - The Unspoken Rules and Their Unsettling Implications

Post by Swavementa » #692292

I've noticed that in the roleplaying community, the focus seems to be heavily on crafting personas rather than telling tales or building worlds. This says a lot about the priorities here, doesn't it? However, a few glaring issues are on the surface that we need to address. Why do we treat roleplaying as a group-only activity here? Can't it be something one does alone, like enjoying a good book or movie in their own quiet space? Could the unwritten rules in this community be pushing away those who prefer a solo roleplaying experience, especially those not too keen on endless banter?

Here's another thing. What if someone wants to roleplay as a character who prefers to fly solo, not too eager to be a social bee? Shouldn't roleplaying welcome all kinds of characters, even the ones who aren't people pleasers? If we start shunning certain types of characters, aren't we just being elitist? Is it fair to create an exclusive club within roleplaying, allowing only certain characters through the door? What does this say about the overall mood of this group, and even more so, about each individual member?

These are genuine concerns and are meant to start a serious conversation about this community. Roleplaying doesn't necessarily mean socializing. There's nothing wrong with being competitive or a loner in this space. I've seen it done all the time by regulars the nobody ever "bats an eye" at. These traits shouldn't be penalized, as they currently are.

Stay frosty
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Re: Roleplaying - The Unspoken Rules and Their Unsettling Implications

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #692307

Deskdrawer
Byond Username: Deskdrawer

Post by Deskdrawer » #692419

Swavementa wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 am I've noticed that in the roleplaying community, the focus seems to be heavily on crafting personas rather than telling tales or building worlds. This says a lot about the priorities here, doesn't it? However, a few glaring issues are on the surface that we need to address. Why do we treat roleplaying as a group-only activity here? Can't it be something one does alone, like enjoying a good book or movie in their own quiet space? Could the unwritten rules in this community be pushing away those who prefer a solo roleplaying experience, especially those not too keen on endless banter?

Here's another thing. What if someone wants to roleplay as a character who prefers to fly solo, not too eager to be a social bee? Shouldn't roleplaying welcome all kinds of characters, even the ones who aren't people pleasers? If we start shunning certain types of characters, aren't we just being elitist? Is it fair to create an exclusive club within roleplaying, allowing only certain characters through the door? What does this say about the overall mood of this group, and even more so, about each individual member?

These are genuine concerns and are meant to start a serious conversation about this community. Roleplaying doesn't necessarily mean socializing. There's nothing wrong with being competitive or a loner in this space. I've seen it done all the time by regulars the nobody ever "bats an eye" at. These traits shouldn't be penalized, as they currently are.

Stay frosty
/tg/ doesn't reward being good anymore, is pretty simple, as long as you circle jerk those around you
RedBaronFlyer
Byond Username: RedBaronFlyer

Post by RedBaronFlyer » #692431

I don't really have a way to write up a single paragraph fancily. I only got a series of smaller sentences and arguments. Sorry.
Swavementa wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 amI've noticed that in the roleplaying community, the focus seems to be heavily on crafting personas rather than telling tales or building worlds. This says a lot about the priorities here, doesn't it? However, a few glaring issues are on the surface that we need to address.

That's an... interesting assessment. I've noticed that rounds in SS13 tend to be almost like sitcoms. Everyone has their statics (the cast), and they deal with the round (the episode). The cast guides the episode, and the episode guides the cast.

Why do we treat roleplaying as a group-only activity here? Can't it be something one does alone, like enjoying a good book or movie in their own quiet space? Could the unwritten rules in this community be pushing away those who prefer a solo roleplaying experience, especially those not too keen on endless banter?
SS13 is inherently a social game for the most part. Nearly every medium-scale project requires some level of coordination, be it interdepartmental or relying on multiple departments. It is completely possible to be a lone wolf. But it depends on your job. A janitor arguably has the greatest leeway towards being a loner.
I do think it's kinda questionable to want to roleplay alone. The whole point of it being multiplayer is to interact with people, one way or another. You're likely to become friends or enemies with your coworkers, have quarrels or friendships with others, etc. Over the course of the round.

I'm far from the most social person on Manuel. I tend to keep my head down and interact with people only when I really need to or feel like it. It's completely fine. No one is dragging you kicking and screaming into the bar to talk with people for 20 minutes. Some people love that kind of stuff, and other people don't. Just like how some people love complex setups and automation, some just want to mop up blood and vomit off the floor since it's simple and makes a difference, others enjoy being goofy and taking sec on chases around the station.

I have never felt persecuted for my lack of heavy roleplay or interaction. No one has a problem with lone wolves (hehe), people have a problem with others who unga bunga hack or break into departments to grab what they want. There's a difference between minimal interaction and intentionally being an ass to avoid any and all interactions.

The reason why roleplay servers seem more elitist in who they let in, is because they are. LRP has kind of been deemed the "no roleplay to minimal roleplay" containment area. Some view this as unfair, others view it as necessary to preserve a roleplay environment in a game that sometimes puts roleplayers at a disadvantage. (for example, waiting for someone to type to kill them)

Similar to games like Day-Z, players have a vast variety of differing reasons of why they like SS13, and what they consider to be "The real SS13 experience." Some prefer perfectly peaceful rounds where nothing happens and everyone just interacts with each other, others prefer a sandbox of destruction with some loose guidelines to keep everything in check, some prefer a middle ground, with some low violence rounds, and some mass casualty rounds. It's much like how you can find people who absolutely adore certain jobs, but dislike others. Meanwhile you can find someone who loves the opposite jobs and hates the jobs that someone else likes.
I swear this is an AI post. Being a lone wolf isn't penalized (it is somewhat mechanically, though), it's being a raving unba bunga man that tends to land you into trouble in roleplay communities. Roleplay servers tend to have one common thing; you are in an actual workplace. A goofy workplace, but still a workplace for the most part. You might not like interacting with people, or prefer to go alone, but you are still in a cramped crappy metal can hurling around a hell world with dangers almost every round. It'd be wise to make friends every round, but also be cautious that those same friends could very well be your downfall. Likewise, going lone wolf has it's advantages, but it can mean that no one will bat for you if you need help.
WARNING, Prolonged exposure to my opinions can be mentally scarring or in some cases, FATAL
Stamper of papers, pusher of crates, and the cleaner of floors.
I'm Eugine Adrian Hynes on Manuel, I'm very uncool.
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm I assume he did it elsewhere because it's fucking goofball and he never half-asses his shitty ideas, he full asses them so both cheeks are absolutely slathered in shit
Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #692707

Swavementa wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 am the focus seems to be heavily on crafting personas rather than telling tales or building worlds
This is a symptom of the game format, it's a whole lot harder to tell a story when you have limited control over the events of the round and the stories are usually limited exclusively to that current round. What we do have control over and has at least some sense of continuity, is your characters personality.
pfp by AspEv
celularLAmp
Byond Username: Celulamp

Post by celularLAmp » #695542

A lot of the reason why people still play ss13 after they've mastered le mechanics is
A. Gimmicks or pwning
B. Hanging out with or interacting with friends

If you like doing the mechanics by yousrelf or writin stuff in the library I think that's fine most of the time. It just gets on my nerves though when the ONLY thing someone does is like circuits every round and hides in sci. You don't have to feel obliged to go participate in whatever big event everyone is doing though.

But I def agree about manual. Ever since a few of my friends stopped playing there I had no reason to play on it due to yknow everyone else is so entirely focused on their characters. But It's more about what happens and I mean we all remember the silly things in ss13 rounds. (Probably some emotional momments too like working together to defeat a common threat)