What is the singularity?

General SS13 Chat
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

What is the singularity?

Post by Agux909 » #694157

I'm talking lore-wise, what exactly is the singulo?

Is it a wormhole? A black hole? The homonymous black hole's very center, somehow existing outside of one? Is it perhaps a non-sapient, non-carbon-based being who stumbles around aimlessly, with the only purpose of consuming and growing? Or is it just a completely ficticious anomaly, with no real basis on physical laws nor any scientific accuracy, exclusive to the ss13 universe?

Say you want to portray the singulo on a 3D setting (be it a game, a movie or animation), how would you do it? Would it move around freely, or just spin in place? How do you think it'd end up looking?

Would it look like this? (a la Interstellar)
► Show Spoiler
Or maybe like this?
► Show Spoiler
Maybe it would look like a classy, in-game equivalent?
► Show Spoiler
Or maybe just simple, a tad dull, but ominous, menacing?
► Show Spoiler
I found myself wondering about these silly questions, and since I wasn't able to find any topic nor wiki page talking about the singulo, other than exclusively in mechanical/in-game terms, I think it'd be a fun time to see what people thinks about one of the most iconic almighty divinities entities in ss13 in-universe.

Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Re: What is the singularity?

Post by Turbonerd » #694202

It's a blackhole controlled by a bunch of anomalies appearing and disappearing.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #694217

It's a naked singularity.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #694230

its actually a really big comparatively thin sawblade made of energy
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #694341

The singulo tastes like licorice. You can't disprove this.
► Show Spoiler
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #694500

Turbonerd wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:00 am It's a blackhole controlled by a bunch of anomalies appearing and disappearing.
If there's more to this, could you expand on it a bit more?
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:14 am It's a naked singularity.
This is also what I lean the most for it to be. The mysterious, impossible to see, believed to be a one-dimensional dot, present in the center of all black holes. A singularity without an event horizon. Since we can't see into a black hole, we can't really disprove that it looks exactly as it does in-game, can we?
nianjiilical wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:35 pm its actually a really big comparatively thin sawblade made of energy
This might sound funny but given how it actually looks, moves and what it does to everything around it, you could be getting onto something (?)
Farquaar wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:58 am The singulo tastes like licorice. You can't disprove this.
So this is why we always have the irrational urge to jump straight into it? Next time I eat some, I'll have it in mind.

And reiterating the question on the OP, how do you guys think it'd look if it existed IRL or if it had to be represented on a 3D environment? I feel like the artwork on the third image would be the most fitting. You don't have to pick one of the images from the OP, if you can find something that suits more your headcanon that'd be be more interesting.

This is curiosity, but it's also me not being able to decide for a look I want to give it on a side-project referencing ss13 I'm doing, on a different game altogether (yes I plan to include the singulo as part of gameplay)

Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #696645

All ss13 singularity lore is I think pretty much a 1:1 rip from Star Trek

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Singularity

Take note about the Romulan artificial singularities to power their ships
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #697737

Bawhoppennn wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:30 am All ss13 singularity lore is I think pretty much a 1:1 rip from Star Trek

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Singularity

Take note about the Romulan artificial singularities to power their ships
Oh I didn't think about that, I really need to rewatch the shows.
Yeah it makes sense as a reference to those quantum singularities, and at least its current design does resemble the few that we see in the show somewhat:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Nice catch.

MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #697788

its an atom with a sprite that lost its soul
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch