Why is this incinerator leaking heat and pressure?

General SS13 Chat
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Why is this incinerator leaking heat and pressure?

Post by Oldman Robustin » #86837

http://i.imgur.com/s7j2j3A.png

Seriously. Within 5 seconds of firing it up I was being crushed and burned standing a few tiles away. When I've done similar fire mixes in Toxins or the Incinerator I could stand between the airlocks and not feel a thing.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: Why is this incinerator leaking heat and pressure?

Post by Bluespace » #86838

you didn't use enough secret sauce sorry bro :/
I play Boris Pepper.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #86842

There's a game mechanic where certain atmos pieces "leak" heat/cold, and it's previously been imperceptible due to how atmos was riggled up, but when fastmos/the MC rewrite came atmos got fast and suddenly imperceptible small losses became big nearly immediate ones. See also: Cryo rapidly wasting all the oxygen when left open.
Last edited by Incoming on Sat May 09, 2015 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #86845

well, what about the vacuum sealed double doors in toxins? You got no insulation like that at all, I'm more surprised the pressure didn't just push the door away.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #86887

Heat leaks through airlocks, it always has - fastmos just makes it more apparent. Incinerator and toxins have special snowflake airlocks, apparently. A setup like this works, however:
http://i.imgur.com/PNtMZen.jpg
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #86904

When I programmed the airlock painter I wrote it in such a way that it will always set heat_proof to 0, EXCEPT for the glass research airlock where it will set it to 1. So if you want a heat-proof airlock, turn it into a glass airlock during construction, then paint it in the Research palette.

Thinking back on it now I might change it to something else, like having to use plasteel on the door during construction to make it heat-proof or something like that.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #86906

Ricotez wrote:When I programmed the airlock painter I wrote it in such a way that it will always set heat_proof to 0, EXCEPT for the glass research airlock where it will set it to 1. So if you want a heat-proof airlock, turn it into a glass airlock during construction, then paint it in the Research palette.

Thinking back on it now I might change it to something else, like having to use plasteel on the door during construction to make it heat-proof or something like that.
Holy shit, so I can get the special snowflake doors with a door painting tool?

I was worried it was a special snowflake situation, but everyone I asked in OOC/Ahelp kept coming up with different answers (it has to be R_wall, oh you didn't cover the corners, you're using too much gas).

Going to go try this now (and probably turn a room in the station into a superheated fuckstorm again).
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86912

Before you do, I'll codedive this and check it on a test server...
...unless you already went ahead.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #86916

I just did it.

It's exactly as he said, research painted airlock are magic that don't leak anything.

My dreams are now attainable.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #86920

Yours and mine both.

HAIL ATMOSIA, KINGDOM OF THE PIPES, it's plasma time.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #86958

the special snowflake situation is exactly why I had to write the painter that way

if you look in airlock.dm you will see it starts with a list of airlock subtypes and the only subtype that had heat_proof set to 1 when i started messing with it was the glass research airlock

i didn't want to risk breaking everything so i just gave the painter magic heat proofing abilities that only work with that one specific airlock type
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #86998

Can you file that as a bug so we know to fix it somewhere down the line?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #87000

Surely all the airlocks, designed for use in SPACE would have pretty good thermal insulation?

Now that I bring that up, would that mean having solid airlocks to space let cold through?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #87001

I don't see why we can't just have all airlocks be heatproof, attempting to build multiple airlocks to block heat is more resource intensive than building rwalls. I guess if you don't have access to EVA or engineering it might not be but you still need to get those airlock electronics from somewhere.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87007

lumipharon wrote:Surely all the airlocks, designed for use in SPACE would have pretty good thermal insulation?

Now that I bring that up, would that mean having solid airlocks to space let cold through?
Not really, space isn't cold not in the normal sense Most thermal transfer in normal earth conditions is through induction, like a pan on a stove eye, hot thing touching less hot thing.
But in space you're touching a vaccum, therefore nothing, no induction, You lose heat through radiation, Not like uranium, like radiant heat infrared and such, like how the predator see's you, anything with appreciable temp bleeds IR, including a space station.

The international space station controls this by fighting it on two fronts, special insulation that bounces heat from exterior walls back towards the rooms, and through direct heating. Space heaters and shit, even the computers push out a few degrees that they take advantage of.

So if anything, All the walls should be bleeding heat equally but negligibly as it's assumed it's being accounted for through atmos, the AI, all the electronics, body temp, the microwave oven and everything really, so it's not worth coding.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #87011

Oh my god how did you people make the majesty of space boring in one thread
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #87020

I totally did it, Not in one thread, but in one single post.

And I did it with SCIENCE!
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #87043

I'll add it to my to-do list, it shouldn't be a lot of work to fix. I only have to update airlock construction to keep track of thermal insulation status, and allow it to accept some plasteel during construction to make it so. I don't even have to touch the glass research airlock subtype because it's only used for the toxins incinerator anyway. (If I did touch it I'd have to update the map too, with all the headaches that involves.)

EDIT: Issue added to the tracker: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/9437
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #87061

So I built one similar to the screenshot, near atmos, with 1 airlock, and it worked fine.

Then I built one with 4 research airlocks to the North/South/East/West and then 4 walls covering the corners, and it went back to leaking like crazy.

I can't figure out this voodoo. Why would it not leak out of 1 research airlock and regular walls on the other sides, but 4 research airlocks is seemingly impotent.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #87066

I'm looking at the assembly code but I cannot see anything wrong with it. If you paint the airlock during assembly it will set the path that it will use to create the finalized airlock to the glass Research airlock subtype, which has heat_proof set to 1, and if you paint the airlock after assembly it will change heat_proof itself.

Are you sure the airlocks were glass? Also did you build the airlocks yourself or did you spawn them in? There is also a Science airlock type in the code which has a slightly different shade of purple, but it is not heat-proof, is completely unused and there is no way to create one short from spawning one in yourself.
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #87119

Ricotez wrote:I'm looking at the assembly code but I cannot see anything wrong with it. If you paint the airlock during assembly it will set the path that it will use to create the finalized airlock to the glass Research airlock subtype, which has heat_proof set to 1, and if you paint the airlock after assembly it will change heat_proof itself.

Are you sure the airlocks were glass? Also did you build the airlocks yourself or did you spawn them in? There is also a Science airlock type in the code which has a slightly different shade of purple, but it is not heat-proof, is completely unused and there is no way to create one short from spawning one in yourself.
Oh I just realized in the second example I painted the airlocks after they were finished.

I've got to remember this step next time I engage in this heatproof atmos voodoo.

Thanks!
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #87139

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Ricotez wrote:I'm looking at the assembly code but I cannot see anything wrong with it. If you paint the airlock during assembly it will set the path that it will use to create the finalized airlock to the glass Research airlock subtype, which has heat_proof set to 1, and if you paint the airlock after assembly it will change heat_proof itself.

Oh I just realized in the second example I painted the airlocks after they were finished.

I've got to remember this step next time I engage in this heatproof atmos voodoo.

Thanks!
That's the thing though... That should still work. If you paint the airlock after finishing it, the painter SHOULD modify heat_proof itself.
Spoiler:
spasticVerbalizer
Byond Username: SpasticVerbalizer

Post by spasticVerbalizer » #90555

This has been changed with this PR, all glass airlocks with reinforced glass will block heat regardless of paintjob.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #90568

nice
Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #90582

may as well ask a related question

can the turbine engine ever output more than around 100k watts? I've been able to get a steady 100k with burnmix pumping straight from atmos but it just won't go higher.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
spasticVerbalizer
Byond Username: SpasticVerbalizer

Post by spasticVerbalizer » #90589

imblyings wrote: can the turbine engine ever output more than around 100k watts? I've been able to get a steady 100k with burnmix pumping straight from atmos but it just won't go higher.
A quick look at the turbine code says yes, but you'll probably need to upgrade the parts (manipulators in compressor for higher RPM, capacitors in turbine for higher productivity).
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90591

I managed to get somewhere around 180-200k with an upgraded turbine, so yes.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #90601

I'm going to ask here since we're on the topic of Incinerators anyway.
I can't always seem to get the incinerator to ignite simply using the igniter already installed, I usually have to chuck in a welder or something to get it going.

What am I doing wrong?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90602

That's something that has never once happened to me. Check your burnmix composition and chamber pressure.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #90603

Alrighty, it may have been a fluke last time I was setting it up, seems to work alright now.
Does opening either of the vents actually do anything or are they designed for reaching the turbine / venting gas?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90605

'Open', how? They're pre-configured in the air alarm (the inbound vent has internal pressure bound 0, so it will always pump out, the other one might as well be a scrubber set to syphon afaik.)

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #90611

DemonFiren wrote:'Open', how? They're pre-configured in the air alarm (the inbound vent has internal pressure bound 0, so it will always pump out, the other one might as well be a scrubber set to syphon afaik.)
The blast shutters on the turbine. The ones with the buttons on the wall to open them.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #90688

Aux vent vents the burn chamber, as you'd expect, and does so more quickly than using the scrubber.
Main turbine vent is required for the turbine to run - that is, required for the pressure difference between burn chamber and turbine.

Also, the vents are good access points for turbine upgrades.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: