leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Nations v2

Post by leibniz » #91116

I decided to come up with a different way of running Nations rounds

Rate my autism:

Code: Select all

Nations Alternative Ruleset
0. If you break any of the rules on this page you will be warned/deleted and/or banned, also:
	a. If these rules are upsetting for you just do your job as normal or hang out in the library and do some DnD or adminhelp for thunderdome or whatever
	b. Everyone should wear clothing associated with their department proudly, if it is not available, adminhelp for it
	c. So you can conceal your identity but not your Nation
	d. Do not mess with telecoms, gravity or singulo
   e. As a leader, try to announce every major action
1. Every Department is an independent Nation At Start, with them in charge:
	a. CE of Engineering and Atmos
	b. HoS of Sec
	c. RD of RnD and Robotics
	d. HoP of Cargo and mining (above the QM)
	e. CMO of med
2. Others
	a. AI is independent until subverted. No secborgs. The AI should not submit willingly to subversion unless it's existence is threatened 
		or if it seeks protection from another active threat by method of alliance
	b. Sec is not a tool of the command staff unless they (or the HoS) wishes to act as such
	c. Every service section is an independent entity, they can form a coalition or align themselves with any of the other entities if they wish
	d. Assistants are independent, they can choose to join anyone that accepts them or they can form their own nation
	e. Captain is independent
3. Conflict
	a. By default you may not kill anyone unless you are defending against a sustained lethal assault
	b. Breaking in and stealing is allowed, dont steal IDs in use
	c. If someone tries to steal your things, you can take everything from them and detain them for 7 minutes
	d. Captured thieves can choose to be conscripted into the department if that is offered by their captor to avoid the punishment
4. War
	a. A leader of a Nation can declare war on another nation. Your allies have to announce joining the war
	b. Usually this is done through the wall computers that can make announcements (request console)
	c. Nobody shall attempt to break these computers or make them inaccessible
	d. If you are a leader that can't get to a console, adminhelp to have your message broadcasted
	e. If you aren't a leader, dont make announcements
	f. If you are at war, you may kill your enemies if they attack you outside their department or if they resist the occupation of their department
	g. Do not use non-targeted mass destruction (releasing sing, flooding station - BAD; bombing brig: good)
	h. Do not declare war before 15 minutes (see PDA for time) or the admin announcement allowing it
	i. A leader can declare that they wish to negotiate terms to end the war. All workers under them have to obey this.
	j. A leader can declare an unconditional surrender. All workers under them have to obey this.
	k. If a Nation is occupied for 10 minutes and the leader is captured, the winning Nation can Annex the loser or "demote" the loser leader and keep their Nation as a "vassal" or a "puppet state"
	h. Vassals are not free until they win a war against their Ruler or their ruler is annexed; or set free by their Ruler
5. Diplomacy
	a. Nations can ally
	b. If you make a secret alliance it is not enforced
	c. If you make an announced defensive alliance, the state of war is enforced
	d. Nations can trade, announced or unannounced
	e. Nations can form a union willingly under one leader or whatever government the ruler wants. Announce the changes.
6. Ruling a Nation
	a. If you are the founder of a Nation, you rule it
	b. A leader may step down and designate the new leader
	c. A leader can change the government type of a nation
		for example to a council that votes or whatever
	d. A leader can change the name of their nation. Announce the change.
	e. Internal Conflict. If at least three people are displeased with the leader, they can conspire to overthrow them
	f. The disposed leader can submit and become a normal worker or be exiled, but not killed
	g. Conspirants can be banished or punished
7. The AI ruleset
	1. Do not kill those that arent intending to kill you
	2. Do not lock down people that arent messing with you
	3. Do not let people change your laws unless the alternative is worse
	4. Try to get dead people cloned
	5. Conspire with the underdogs
	6. There shall be no security borgs
8. Captain
	a. You are alone
	b. You may help a Nation if it pleases you
	c. Be careful with making a Nation too powerful, they might choose to overthrow you	
also here http://privatepaste.com/86b1557868

I have to admit that I went overboard with the bureaucracy, but I believe that if people give it a chance, they will find that it is mostly straightforward.
Also I tried not to squeeze all my ideas into it, at this point it is complex enough already.

So, I'm wondering if people find this concept interesting.
Last edited by leibniz on Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Nations v2

Post by imblyings » #91119

rule 0 and 7 effectively do all the important parts, although I dunno why no secborgs unless it's a subtle jab at the UN being useless.

let god sort the rest out
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #91120

Take it out of code tags.
I play Boris Pepper.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91122

Bluespace wrote:Take it out of code tags.
Here:
http://privatepaste.com/86b1557868

Also editing into the OP.
imblyings wrote:rule 0 and 7 effectively do all the important parts, although I dunno why no secborgs unless it's a subtle jab at the UN being useless.

let god sort the rest out
I just want silicons to think creatively, and usually secborgs just shut down fun so I felt that this thing would work better without them.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #91125

True but sometimes their laws demand they shut down fun.

Maybe add a Red Cross lawset for silicons to start with during nations? So they can act like some sort of inter-nation aid provider while remaining strictly passive and neutral to conflicts while not having to worry about harm.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91126

imblyings wrote:True but sometimes their laws demand they shut down fun.

Maybe add a Red Cross lawset for silicons to start with during nations? So they can act like some sort of inter-nation aid provider while remaining strictly passive and neutral to conflicts while not having to worry about harm.
That's also an interesting approach, my view is somewhat similar as I had them work on cloning, but "Conspire with underdogs" sounded fun to me if the AI is played by a cool person.
I've also pondered adding an autoborger but maybe that wouldnt work well if there is a chance for subversion. Maybe autoborger+upload deleted.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91135

Keep the AI incorruptible (make sure Research does not construct uploads?) Also, axe the robotics console.
Borgs, those might be a different matter. Perhaps giving every nation an uplink radio with a low-ish allotment of TCs so they can emag the minions? This can be either particularly handly or backfire spectacularly with an autoborger.

That aside, this gets a RULE CARGONIA, CARGONIA RULE THE CRATES from me.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #91143

Never in my entire time on spessmen have I ever seen a enjoyable nations round. They're all just excuses to run around screaming cargonia and waiting for something to shoot. Trying to make a legitmate event or round out a bad idea is still going to be a bad idea.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #91151

Now all we need is someone to run nations
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #91157

I can say without a doubt that this ruleset is impossible to enforce and terrible.
For example, borgs are probably going to ignore the "no secborgs" rule which is stupid in the first place.
The whole part where you can brig people for 7 minutes for trespassing in your nation/department: Impossible to enforce really and just dumb.
The whole non-killing thing is good for people in practice, but in reality, it will probably just lead to the same people doing the same shit over and over until the nation that's being harassed begs to let you kill them. Players like killing, it's simply un-avoidable in this game.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91162

NikNakFlak wrote:For example, borgs are probably going to ignore the "no secborgs" rule which is stupid in the first place.
Right click -> Delete
NikNakFlak wrote:The whole part where you can brig people for 7 minutes for trespassing in your nation/department: Impossible to enforce really and just dumb.
The whole non-killing thing is good for people in practice, but in reality, it will probably just lead to the same people doing the same shit over and over until the nation that's being harassed begs to let you kill them. Players like killing, it's simply un-avoidable in this game.
I agree, this is a weakpoint. My first throught was that if the workers can take everything for looters, the incentive will be lost, but there might be dedicated griefers.
Maybe something like this will work better:
1. Looters can't attack workers, but workers cant kill them once they are chased away
2. If a looter attempts to steal for a second time, you can kill them
something like that
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #91165

Quick question: What department will the civilian jobs like Cooks, Barkeeps, and Botanists will be under?
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91169

TrustyGun wrote:Quick question: What department will the civilian jobs like Cooks, Barkeeps, and Botanists will be under?
" c. Every service section is an independent entity, they can form a coalition or align themselves with any of the other entities if they wish"
Civilian is service in my context.

All independent. They can group together or join anyone they want. Like, botany could join med for chem, or bar and kitchen could form the Service Alliance, whatever they desire.
I considered putting them under the HoP (and then the QM would be a basic leader), it is an interesting choice but I felt that giving the HoP just cargo is better right now.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #91170

Alright, thanks.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91175

Wouldn't it be better to give the HoP control over all civilian sectors and leave Cargonia to its rightful ruler?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #91185

Have the HoP and Captain on the same side, leave Cargonia and Mining to the QM, and the civilian subdepartments to their own devices (until they ally and take over with deathnettles and mopped floors)?
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #91210

paradise has a capture the flag setup coded in that ends the game either at a set time limit OR when 1 team has all the flags.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91220

The poll is really spread out. You could axe it down to 4 options and it would be better

Good
Whatever
Bad
Abstain
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91438

TheNightingale wrote:Have the HoP and Captain on the same side, leave Cargonia and Mining to the QM, and the civilian subdepartments to their own devices (until they ally and take over with deathnettles and mopped floors)?
DemonFiren wrote:Wouldn't it be better to give the HoP control over all civilian sectors and leave Cargonia to its rightful ruler?
I guess that's ok. At first I felt that cargo could use good access from the HoP and the chaplain doesnt really have a common ground with the bartender, but maybe a good HoP can do something fun with service.

Anyway, I have some more ways in mind to make the rules easier, I will write them down when I can be bothered.

I have noticed a lot of people voting for classic nations, we all have our preferences, many admins avoid running it because, as others pointed it out, it has a lot of grief and it's hard to oversee.
My vision has some structure added and I think it might lead to interesting player/player interactions beyond pure murder.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #91441

DemonFiren wrote:Wouldn't it be better to give the HoP control over all civilian sectors and leave Cargonia to its rightful ruler?
>The rightful ruler of Cargonia
>Not the HoP

the HoP rules over cargonia with an iron fist, the QM is a lilly livered deadbeat.
私は完璧
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #91449

Remie Richards wrote:
>The rightful ruler of Cargonia
>Not the HoP

the HoP rules over cargonia with an iron fist, the QM is a lilly livered deadbeat.
Say that to my face in cargo, not online and see what happens
EmGee
Byond Username: EmGee

Post by EmGee » #91478

Holy shit this is a massive clusterfuck of rules for one gamemode.

Seriously, we'd nearing Colonial Marines-levels of rules autism if these were added.
I suggest that we heavily streamline the rules, cause' in it's current state this ruleset is pretty confusing, and would increase workload of the admins,and confuse the fuck of the players, especially new ones.
What sense is there to place these kinds of artificial restraints to the player's creativity? The normal /tg/ ruleset will do, maybe with the addition of rules 0 and 7, like imbly said.

edit: holy shit I just realized imblydings=ausops i have been living a lie
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #91534

I still thing the HoP and captain need to be a duo of independents, maybe allied with the AI? Essentially the captain needs someone else to back them up and the HoP's starting location means the bridge area essentially becomes an area for talks, trading etc and gives a lot of opportunity to act like no-mans land.

QM should run cargo and mining as a temp round head.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #91613

Won't work.
Nations will never work. I thought every other time was enough for you all to learn?

history will repeat itself of course but whatever.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #91795

ColonicAcid wrote:Nations will never work. I thought every other time was enough for you all to learn?
but that's the fun, it's team deathmatch like rev except there are more than 2 teams and a few more people desperately trying to keep the metaphorical powder keg from exploding
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91815

Botanist can make death nettles and, with some scrounging, mutating and kitchen access, nitronades.
Chaplain has a robust-as-fuck null rod and the crematorium (and, on Meta, a soul stone and spellbook of smoke). Just get some followers from the grey tribe.
Librarian is useless, yeah.
Barman has a shotgun and broken bottles are pretty fucking robust, especially if filled with welder fuel before smashing.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91838

You can form a nation, still. Civilian sector, unite, then get ready to beat the shit out of everyone.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #91841

Nations is always shit