10%
The forums need a lot more moderation.
8%

Total votes: 48

Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Poll: Are the forums over moderated?

Post by Falamazeer » #91427

I always hated the attempts to reclaim FNR from the rabid shitposters, as it always seemed to boil down to don't disagree with me or you're shitposting, but I could also see the issue with leaving it as it is, Because you could easily end up with massive flame wars that go on for 11+ pages that just leave everyone angry, and nothing done. Then again not involved not an admin can easily lead to five people ganging up on someone.

It's a complicated issue, with any number of merits for both sides of the issue. and I was wondering what the community as a whole thinks about it.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Poll: Are the forums over moderated?

Post by Scones » #91434

Fascists, fascists everywhere
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #91474

no

also stop making polls with more than yes or no answers, it's bad polling form
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #91535

^ or without an abstain...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91536

If you were just going to vote abstain, why the fuck would you vote in the first place?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #91537

To show that I was included in the numbers and so I dont have to click view results every time I want to check up on it.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91553

DemonFiren wrote:If you were just going to vote abstain, why the fuck would you vote in the first place?
Abstain is to show that you've read the poll and understand what's been said, but don't give a fuck. It's used to gauge apathy towards an idea.
"Yes got 2 votes more than no! Implement it!"
"Yes, but only four voted yes, and seventy people abstained"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #91560

No Mods, No Masters!
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
mosquitoman
Byond Username: MosquitoMan

Post by mosquitoman » #91567

any forum where the threads are being "locked" is overmoderated
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #91570

A little over moderated but that is more due to the odd cheridan style meltdown forum admin that should probably be put in time out instead of the posts they sweep under the rug.

I will be honest that is mostly niknakflak at this point.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #91574

mosquitoman wrote:any forum where the threads are being "locked" is overmoderated
Yes because having people talk about suicide is a perfect grounds for reasonable discussion when it ends up with people egging them on, yup defiantly should leave them unlocked.

Also generally things get locked because they've been resolved (in ban requests). Or things get modded in FNR to keep ban appeals on track with actually being a ban appeal and NOT just another policy discussion forum. Seriously its not that hard.
Kot wrote:No Mods, No Masters!
This is what singlo.io is.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #91579

Am I the only one who thinks the forum mods are doing quite well?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #91580

TheNightingale wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the forum mods are doing quite well?
Weird question to ask when around twelve in the poll people either like the current moderation or would like to see more moderation.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #91586

peoplearestrange wrote:
mosquitoman wrote:any forum where the threads are being "locked" is overmoderated
Yes because having people talk about suicide is a perfect grounds for reasonable discussion when it ends up with people egging them on, yup defiantly should leave them unlocked.

Also generally things get locked because they've been resolved (in ban requests). Or things get modded in FNR to keep ban appeals on track with actually being a ban appeal and NOT just another policy discussion forum. Seriously its not that hard.
Yep, "defiantly". If you don't like a thread, you can always not read it. And "resolved" requests/appeals are being reopened on a regular basis.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #91595

What specific threads are you talking about? I'd love to hear some feedback on what threads you think shouldn't be locked.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #91637

TheNightingale wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the forum mods are doing quite well?
Ikkarus deleted my shitposting a couple weeks ago remove from power REMOVE
Falamazeer wrote:but I could also see the issue with leaving it as it is, Because you could easily end up with massive flame wars that go on for 11+ pages that just leave everyone angry, and nothing done.
:^)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #91648

There's nothing wrong and you guys are bitching too much.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #91659

oranges wrote:no

also stop making polls with more than yes or no answers, it's bad polling form
It's not really a yes or no question, there are multiple ranges of satisfaction or dissatisfaction.
peoplearestrange wrote:^ or without an abstain...
peoplearestrange wrote:To show that I was included in the numbers and so I dont have to click view results every time I want to check up on it.
Why is important to be included in the numbers if you're going to abstain? Not being able to decide isn't actionable feedback, And if you care enough to check back, you probably have an opinion to vote for. And if not, that extra click is your punishment for being indecisive.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #91666

Vekter wrote:What specific threads are you talking about? I'd love to hear some feedback on what threads you think shouldn't be locked.
All of them. What is the point of disallowing people to reply to threads?

This isn't 2003 (well, software-wise it is), and "locking" threads, deleting "offtopic" posts, and so on are things of the past and a sign that some people have really too much time on their hands. This was understandable in 1998 when you had to wait 10 minutes for a page to load so you could be reasonably angry when it contained posts you did not want to read. Now you can just scroll past and not care.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #91671

Locking and moving threads is more of a housekeeping thing as far as FNR is concerned. Its purely paperwork (or at least with the no steno rules) so once a thread is "resolved" theres really no point in keeping it open for random bumping and arguing, and presents a more accurate look at the current available appeals that need attention rather than a board full of resolved threads that are still open.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #91682

i assumed this poll was less about mods thread locking threads and more about guys like mrperson (sorry for namecalling but it's a good example) deleting 30 posts of criticism in the feedback forum now and then with extremely vague reasoning as to why
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #91686

FNR is going to remain heavily modded because it gets dragged off the rails often and makes things take so much fucking longer.

Moderation has drifted out of that forum a bit though so I'll be asking them to let stuff outside of FNR be a little looser again
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #91694

Incomptinence wrote:A little over moderated but that is more due to the odd cheridan style meltdown forum admin that should probably be put in time out instead of the posts they sweep under the rug.

I will be honest that is mostly niknakflak at this point.
Referencing that admin complaint as a specific incident is not a good example. You had people blatantly stirring random false claims and screaming about conspiracy because of various locks and unlocks. I dont touch anything outside of the banning/complaint forums but false claiming and trying to start a conspiracy war is never welcome
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #91742

mosquitoman wrote:
Vekter wrote:What specific threads are you talking about? I'd love to hear some feedback on what threads you think shouldn't be locked.
All of them. What is the point of disallowing people to reply to threads?

This isn't 2003 (well, software-wise it is), and "locking" threads, deleting "offtopic" posts, and so on are things of the past and a sign that some people have really too much time on their hands. This was understandable in 1998 when you had to wait 10 minutes for a page to load so you could be reasonably angry when it contained posts you did not want to read. Now you can just scroll past and not care.
We only ever lock stuff (outside of FNR forums) if the thread turns into a shithole and needs to be gassed, or if there's an issue with it. The last time I remember having to actually do it was when MSO locked and deleted the old Water Cooler thread because ever since the Terbs and Paprika fiascos we have to put the kibosh on suicide discussion (apparently we can't talk about such things without people being stupid).

This isn't 4chan, and discussion works a bit differently in an actual forum. If you want unmoderated, that's why we have Singulo.

Remember that you can always PM the mod team to ask us why a thread was locked or canned.

Tl;Dr it's done because we can't have nice things
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #91747

The lifeweb forums showed me what can happen when there is no moderation. People constantly spam animemes to get their post count up it's honestly quite pathetic.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #91755

It's just a pain when half the thread is deleted and nobody who comes after has any idea what's going on.

Often you lose an entire chain of conversation, which had at least some stuff worth reading because one guy said something dumb
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #91756

Some moderation is always required to move or prune off topic threads and delete blatant spam.

I believe the challenge in forum moderation is trimming the pointless shitposting while at the same time respecting peoples ability to voice an unpopular or even disgusting opinion. In my opinion, so long as a post is made in the relevant forum and has some thought or reasoning put into it, it shouldn't be deleted regardless of its content... assuming it doesn't violate some common sense rules of course, like "don't fucking post illegal content".
mosquitoman

Post by mosquitoman » #91899

Vekter wrote: This isn't 4chan, and discussion works a bit differently in an actual forum. If you want unmoderated, that's why we have Singulo.
No they don't. What's the difference between this forum and singulo? That you can post anonymously without your posts being attached to an internet "persona"? Not sure what is the point of that.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #91907

Kor wrote:It's just a pain when half the thread is deleted and nobody who comes after has any idea what's going on.

Often you lose an entire chain of conversation, which had at least some stuff worth reading because one guy said something dumb
Normal forums should be programmed so you can see deleted content. FNR forums are programmed differently.
Spoiler: