Admincanidates and the future of the trialmin system

General SS13 Chat
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Admincanidates and the future of the trialmin system

Post by paprika » #7311

Why does this remain a secret, someone spill because me and a lot of other people are curious :?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Admincanidates and the future of the trialmin system

Post by Stickymayhem » #7321

Scaredy recently promoted Neerti and Bluespace, giving them the ability to edit permissions and therefore make tempmins. Over the last couple days they've tempminned a few people, including myself, Nalar, Steelpoint and KingLouisXIV and maybe some others I haven't seen, to teach them how to admin and observe how they do. They generally give it to people through recommendations for whatever reason, whether it's having a nice attitude, being active on the forum or being active and friendly OOC.

I like the new system, even if it means there'll be people who have tempminned but don't become trials. It's enlightening to learn exactly how the admins do what they do. It's definitely influenced how I adminhelp.

As for how new trialmins are selected, I have no idea. I think that hasn't really been determined yet.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7323

Well I meant trialmins because Deuryn hinted at this -replacing- trialmins in the future. Instead of one head of trials there's a ton of older gamemins that offer to take new guys under their wing for a week or two, which is how trialmins worked anyway occasionally.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #7329

paprika wrote:Well I meant trialmins because Deuryn hinted at this -replacing- trialmins in the future. Instead of one head of trials there's a ton of older gamemins that offer to take new guys under their wing for a week or two, which is how trialmins worked anyway occasionally.
I suppose that explains the new rank some of the gamemins got then.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #7349

I pushed hard for a new system that meant we got extra coverage on Sybil, but it's unlikely the actual candidates will be promoted until after headmins are done.
I play Boris Pepper.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #7369

while it's not a secret because there's no need to be one, paprika is right, for example, if someone wants to be a trialmin, there's no guide on the steps to do, the person won't know who they should contact. Basically a sticky resolves this.
I accept donations, click here
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #7382

could just ahelp when there's an admin presence and be all 'hey man can you show me the ropes?'

asking questions is a magical thing.
Nalar
Byond Username: Nalar

Post by Nalar » #7392

On the old forums TBM made a thread explaining how to become a trialmin. I don't think a similar thread was made here, which I feel is needed to explain what's going on and how to have a chance to be trialed.

-=Forum Global Moderator=-
-=GameAdmin=-
Tell me how I'm doing.
Kangaraptor
Byond Username: Kangaraptor

Post by Kangaraptor » #7396

Nalar wrote:On the old forums TBM made a thread explaining how to become a trialmin. I don't think a similar thread was made here, which I feel is needed to explain what's going on and how to have a chance to be trialed.
honestly, the idea of it going through one person is absolutely terrible and we should probably look for an improved and streamlined system to go with the new forum.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #7406

Ping me on IRC if you're interested for now.
Or PM me on the forums.
I play Boris Pepper.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7420

It's been talked about. Everything still goes through TBM, but Game Admins are getting the ability to tempmin people and stuff. There is debate on whether or not to include it to all game admins or specific game admins. Its a fine line between the old system and the new system. Both have pros and cons.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #7440

We could go back to the old old system, all admins could make tempmins but they were responsible for their fuck ups.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7441

Thats what the on going discussion is about
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #7458

It should definitely be an ability limited to a few admins, mostly the more active ones

I tempminned for a few weeks in the summer, with HBL tempminning me, who then proceeded to disappear, and the IRC channels weren't much use either

I had to figure lot of it out for myself and deal with a lot of shit, as well as being the only admin on the server at times, which basically meant that I didn't want to do it after a while because it was too much of a hassle

So yeah, if you are going to have admins tempminning people, those admins MUST stay online and supervise, and show the tempmins the ropes, otherwise you just have the same issue again
Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

Post by Subtle » #7474

The admins doing particular promotions or tempminning should definitely be responsible for the people they introduce. I doubt that's even part of the debate to be honest; just common sense, and from what I've seen of the system at work we've already got a few dedicated mentors who take their extra responsibilities quite seriously. Hats off to you guys, it's awesome to see.

That said I'd agree in suggesting we restrict it to those who directly express interest in training. Those game-admins, myself included, who don't have the ability to be present as often as others wouldn't have a chance to properly utilize these permissions anyway, at least not in a manner that would benefit the people they're educating.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #7668

Aranclanos wrote:while it's not a secret because there's no need to be one, paprika is right, for example, if someone wants to be a trialmin, there's no guide on the steps to do, the person won't know who they should contact. Basically a sticky resolves this.
There have been guides on no less than 2 occasions in the past two forums, the admins in charge got bored and stopped following it, the other few the admins actually left and went to other servers.

The only way to get admined appears to be lottery and force of will.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7671

That's not so bad anyway, if you can find a way to ask to be an admin without being annoying about it you probably have the ambition to not be a bad one. :?
Fatal wrote:as well as being the only admin on the server at times
This is a general problem with admins and not just the trialmins thing, really.

Gotta have some way to reward or at least encourage admins filling spots without any other admins on. Sometimes there will be times without admins, sure, but when there's no admin logged in at 1pm on a weekend with 80+ players it's kind of suffering and that shouldn't happen. This is american time by the way, and I know we have plenty of american admins!