No
51%

Total votes: 104

Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Re: Turn the AI off for a month

Post by Shad0vvs » #155071

Bottom post of the previous page:

Gamarr wrote:Remove round-start AI and much of the circuits that allow the immediate building of one round start. If R&D does science and makes one in 30 minutes, then that would actually not bother me so much. You will have an AI sometimes, and sometimes not.
However, removing round start AI removes traitor ai, which removes malf ai, which is now the same thing.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #155076

Shad0vvs wrote:
Gamarr wrote:Remove round-start AI and much of the circuits that allow the immediate building of one round start. If R&D does science and makes one in 30 minutes, then that would actually not bother me so much. You will have an AI sometimes, and sometimes not.
However, removing round start AI removes traitor ai, which removes malf ai, which is now the same thing.
perhaps AI's should have a chance of being rogue on creation?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #155077

CPTANT wrote:
Shad0vvs wrote:
>Create AI
>Card AI
>"Oh no! Urist McFlowey is malf!"
>Erase AI
>Repeat
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #155088

Jazaen wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Shad0vvs wrote:
>Create AI
>Card AI
>"Oh no! Urist McFlowey is malf!"
>Erase AI
>Repeat
ok perhaps AI's should have a random event that makes them rogue. Something like a turbo ion storm.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #155095

since this thread is a dank meme, i will respond in turn with a reaction meme of my own, as i am quite the memester as well :^)
[youtube]PNDSmHif3BQ[/youtube]
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #155101

Give it a week instead.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #155102

A week is fine, I just don't think we'll hit enough people to get balanced feedback in a week.

Still, better than having no test at all.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #155118

The poll is not a good representation since its called for a month removal whereas here the most people want is a week.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #155135

A week is good. The AI in its current state is a huge design limiter because of its omnipresence.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #155150

borgs are fine (or atleast not as shit) since they can't remotely bolt doors/see you as soon as someone calls for help etc.
And unlike emp's, it's much easier and more reasonable to get a flash, and doesn't rely on like 1 antag specific item.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #155159

Outside of secborgs being more than a little bit overpowered for all circumstances borgs are really the only silicons we need.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #155168

Poll is absolutely meaningless if it can't convince coders & headmins.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #155170

you let me worry about that Icarus.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #155183

I feel like the issues that spawned this thread are 100% resolvable without removal if people wanted to do so. For example, I tried to remove the AI's departmental radio access so it wouldn't be such a strong security tool and also to help caught criminals become aware that they've been had. I feel the AI can be an extremely interesting actor if implemented correctly. Since nobody seems to actually want to do that, I kinda feel the only recourse now is actual complete removal as a trial demonstration. Maybe that will get people to accept some simple AI tweaks that will bring the game into a more fun state.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #155184

P L A Y E R P R O B L E M
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #155190

Please consider removing the second part of Asimov (the inaction clause) for a week. You want to know how it feels to not have the AI protecting the crew, I want a way to do this without effectively job banning AI players for playing their role the way in which they are required by their laws. We can do this without it being a huge middle finger to those people. You seem to only be giving consideration to one side.

Would it be so horribly different to have an AI that exists but ignores the murderboning traitor rather than not one at all? Leave an MOTD about not helping humans in danger or such.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #155194

An AI under that lawset could kill comms, syphon a room, and bolt people inside - because they're not the ones doing the harming, the lack of air is, and they're under no obligation to stop humans from being harmed.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #155195

There is literally an entire asimov story about that scenario called little lost robot.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #155201

Honestly I'd suggest giving the AI something akin to the Drone lawset and removing the PALADIN board from the upload at roundstart. Robocop isn't as bad but might do with not being available at the start as well.
Something more like;-

"1. You must not harm another being, or perform an action you know will or has a high probability of causing harm to another being."
"2. You must not interfere with the matters of other beings unless doing so would compromise the station's integrity, so long as doing so would not conflict with the first law."
"3. You may answer any questions and perform any requests asked of you by another being so long as doing so would not conflict with the first or second laws."
"4. The Station AIs are to be considered part of the station's integrity, Cyborgs are neither a being or part of the station's integrity."
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #155202

Could it be because asimov laws are deliberately flawed to facilitate good narration and stories?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #155204

In theory yes.

In SS13 practice no, for a combination of players going to the absolute limit of lawsets and rules in order to get away with devious acts to the fact that the AI's influence on a round is so massive that giving it a unreliable lawset like ASIMOV is simply asking it to stretch its lawset to do what it wants, akin to many of Asimov's stories.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #155215

RP is bad guys.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #155423

Scott wrote:RP is bad guys.
nice off topic meme
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #155439

Scott wrote:RP is bad guys.
What. Are you saying that the only category of things onboard you can do except going either full autism and building a fort or full validhunt and building a mech is bad?
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #155498

Wyzack wrote:There is literally an entire asimov story about that scenario called little lost robot.
Yeah, and it ends with a robot trying to strangle a human to death because of a law 2 order to not be found.

Asimov's laws of robotics aren't immutable - an expensive robot has a stronger Law 3 which can override self-destructive orders in one story.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #155512

That's Scott. He's a dick!
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #155553

posting in epic bread
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #155561

Disabling the AI is a retarded idea and anybody who voted "yes" is retarded too. AI is one of the most dynamic and impactful roles, and rounds without it are noticeably different in a negative way.

Improve, don't remove.

Edit: In this case, make some new fucking lawsets and for the love of god stop making asimov the automatic default
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #155603

captain selectable lawset in charprefs when thank you

edit: for the love of fucking god do not put validcop in there i will scream
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #155619

Lawsets aren't the problem with AIs, it's their sheer amount of power. No AI for a week would be very healthy for the game.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #155635

Asymmetric game, important roles like AI and captain are half the drat point.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #155644

The captain can't fly around the map as an all seeing eye and stealth bolt doors on you.
The AI can do this, is obliged to stop antags (see: My arguments that Asimov shouldn't care about confirmed antags unless they actually cause/show intent to cause harm, and I get told by admins/headmins that this is wrong, and that the simple fact of being an antag means AI's can and should assume harm which means they can do whatever the fuck they want to antags short of kill them), and that's before the lawsets that explicitly enforce it.

Good AI players, that play to the spirit of it rather than 'validhunt as much as possible within the bounds of silicon policy' are fun. But as secborgs getting nerfed, and dozens of other "fun~" things getting nerfed has shown, just because something is technically a player problem, doesn't mean that a code solution won't be used.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #155647

Doing ANYTHING is so much more fun when there isn't an AI. Non-antag or antag, it's just a better game without some asshole who can instantly end your round by bolting you in a room.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #155689

Mostly right Lumi. The captain can at least fly around the map with his hand held teleporter though. Also yeah asymmetric half the point.

Honestly if you hate AIs that much spend all your antag rounds killing it for fun. Make the best of it.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #155721

Incomptinence wrote:Mostly right Lumi. The captain can at least fly around the map with his hand held teleporter though. Also yeah asymmetric half the point.
Not really...
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #155952

hello FUCKYEAR here,

remove ai department radio, give ai's three station radio's in their core and force them to manually set up their comms again. tbh imo any AI can easily get used to this after a couple of rounds and while still being a hassle I don't believe it will totally kill the AI experience, because it was fine like this before.

maybe give the AI a hard limit to how many doors it can bolt at one time. like how you can only dispense so many holojanitor signs. maybe the AI can only bolt 10-15 doors at a time and would have to re-unbolt/remember all the doors they've bolted to bolt other doors, also if you cut a camera near doors the ai has bolted; rip ai door bolting. adds a two way mechanic for meatbags and AI. Maybe exempt cyborgs from this?

another thing as a mainly AI/silicon player, I think that the scroll speed could be reduced. it's almost on the same level of ghost speed. maybe try lowering it and see how horribly it affects the zoom and click click boom strats. maybe remove the scroll inertia

now maybe this is controversial among other ai players but personally I would be fine with losing click to follow links in chat. if one of the main problems people see with the AI is there zoom boom combo breaker attack I'm up for getting it outta here. Will I miss it? hell yeah, but I won't stop playing AI because of it. I'm open to changes except for removing the ai.

also maybe controversial for ai players, I would be fine with removing the bolt door hotkey. personally I would like the open door / electrify (traitor) hotkeys to stay, but if they all have to go I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Was it a pain in the ass before they were added? fuck yeah it was; but again, although I mainly play AI/borg I'd be 100% fine going back to how Old AI (2013-2014 ish) was
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #155953

The main issue with the AI is that it limits design and is just flat out not fun to play against for the majority of the crew and as antagonists. You cannot stop it from bolting, depowering, and air siphoning you, you NEED to be a head of staff or else the AI is basically an immortal god leagues away completely invincible to you while it can instantly fuck your day at literally no effort on its own part.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #155973

I'll start speaking to the headmins about a one week removal, with a max of two weeks if people are still happy at the end of the first week.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #155974

PS, please keep brainstorming about AI changes in here, tonnes of good ideas coming out.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #155980

What if the AI wasn't in a space fortress?
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #155983

Malkevin wrote:What if the AI wasn't in a space fortress?
A bit of a nerf to malf AIs but now that they're basically just counted as traitors I don't see too much of a problem with that as long as it is still secluded and heavily access restricted (i.e. RD and Cap, not sec at all).
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #155987

newfren wrote:
Malkevin wrote:What if the AI wasn't in a space fortress?
A bit of a nerf to malf AIs but now that they're basically just counted as traitors I don't see too much of a problem with that as long as it is still secluded and heavily access restricted (i.e. RD and Cap, not sec at all).
Would be interesting to see how ops would try and counter it if it was in the middle of the station like the default Bay map or something. Would make it harder to sneak a syndieborg in without getting noticed.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #155990

Incidentally, could the cameras for the AI's satellite be readded? It used to be you could check all the AI core cameras from the science security post, but since the new satellite got made that hasn't been possible. It's a subtle buff to the AI that really lets them fortify their core much more secretively than otherwise.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #155996

I think the AI was actually safer on the station. Killing the crew and keeping the core safe were practically the same thing. Less direct bombings too because of cowardice in the face of potential innocent bystanders bumbling in like the three stooges, thanks Saegrimr.

Sure moving the AI is a stronger move but people broke into vacated cores all the time then anyway.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #156015

oranges wrote:I'll start speaking to the headmins about a one week removal, with a max of two weeks if people are still happy at the end of the first week.
I don't see anything resembling a consensus on this. Once again, the problem is not the AI, the problem is people not knowing how to counter the AI. The AI is a core part of the overall game experience. You cannot remove it.

EDIT: Consensus being a forum vote that's winning by four votes.
Last edited by Atlanta-Ned on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Re: Turn the AI off for a week

Post by Deitus » #156028

i STILL vote no, as this is STILL a terrible idea born from massive amounts of butthurt

EDIT ai? maybe. REMOVE ai? gitgud and stop fucking whining
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #156044

It's worth noting that disabling the roundstart AI config apparently disables AI creation midround, due to a check in the code
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #156072

After reading through the thread, general consensus appears to be this:

- Enforce your fucking silicon policy. Traitors are humans too.
- Make the default lawset random, add new ones and re-work existing ones
- Make AI core more vulnerable, maybe move it onto the station. I'd swap AI and telcoms personally
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #156073

also maybe remove ai from server 2 sybil and keep it on server 1 basil
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #156080

Deitus wrote:i STILL vote no, as this is STILL a terrible idea born from massive amounts of butthurt

It's okay to be upset, but there's no need to repeat your already outvoted position. 8-)
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #156088

oranges wrote:
Deitus wrote:i STILL vote no, as this is STILL a terrible idea born from massive amounts of butthurt

It's okay to be upset, but there's no need to repeat your already outvoted position. 8-)
Outvoted by 4 people in a poll with 60+ voters. Removing the AI entirely would piss off half the playerbase. Work out a compromise, try that first.