Lore wise - who's funding this shit?

General SS13 Chat
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Lore wise - who's funding this shit?

Post by srifenbyxp » #155698

I know nanotransen and the syndicate has been waving dicks at each other for lore knows how long. But judging from "shifts", station time and all that jazz while assuming time has past. How the fuck does anyone have enough spess money to fund anything? Stations being bombed, massive revolts, and god knows what; where does the United Earth Government or anyone in general get all of this dosh to fund this shit? Is it insurance fraud? Or maybe something else?

Also assuming the year is 2555
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: Lore wise - who's funding this shit?

Post by Ricotez » #155704

There are no more nations in the classical sense in the time of SS13. Megacorporations rule space.

Nanotrasen was almost bankrupt before they found Centration, but after their plasma technology hit the market it only took them a few years to become the most powerful megacorporation in known space. They probably have more than enough money to keep building stations and send personnel to them. On the flipside of the coin, the Syndicate factions each have their specialties too. The Gorlex Marauders are well-known mercenaries and get hired for jobs all the time, S.E.L.F. liberates AI systems and has amassed quite an army of them, and Cybersun Industries are experts at computer technology and human augmentations, to give just a few examples.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #155705

The mining of plasma, obviously.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #155708

Gorlex also makes a load of guns
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #155716

Centration is the name of the super giant star at the center of the solar system where SS13 is located. That's why that other game was named Centration, it was a reference.

All the stuff about how you can only find plasma in systems without stars was a joke by Errorage when he removed sun simulation from the code.

Also Donk corp and Waffle corp still exist, and they're in the Syndicate. I just gave a few examples of Syndicate organizations from the wiki. It's not set in stone, you can come up with any old organization you want and claim it's in the Syndicate, that's the point of a loose backstory. The Syndicate is just an overarching organization of megacorporations who would backstab each other the moment they're done with Nanotrasen.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #155720

Plasma is all that's keeping NT afloat, at least that's what is implied by the lore. Since lore wise NT was about to crash until they found the plasma in orbit around Centration.

The United Earth Government was some shifty thing I added, that people all voted to add in, as the main reason why NT could not allow Lizardmen into command roles, as the UEG threatened to cut NT off from Centration if they did not due to spess racism.

At the end of the day the playerbase gives not even one crap about the lore, its all in your head really, the lore on the wiki is very minimal on details for the present era.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #155736

Plasma is outrageously valuable: great fuel, astonishing catalyst, new medicines, new slime developments, new engines, all that good stuff. The entire station is literally just set up to experiment with different ways of using that resource, and that includes engineering and medical. Before that, I would assume Nanotrasen made their money with silicons. Cyborgs and AIs seem like a pretty unique and marketable technology, and so do mechs. Cloning/genetics might be, but it's very hard to know if that's widespread or not. Certainly if it was widespread it would help explain why NT is okay with losing so many staff (they only lose the hardware, not software).

The syndicate all have their own businesses, though our server's lore on them isn't very detailed. Basically just "hot pocket company", "waffle company", "space PETA", "space mercs", "space rogue AIs", and some other things. Presumably the technologies traitors get are very marketable, too. Syndie smokes that are good for you? Chameleon devices that allow you to hide your valuables? All the guns being manufactured and bought? Targeted silicon hacking? Presumably all this stuff is worth something to other people too.

Generally speaking more lore heavy stations tend to invent their own new lore, based on what can and can't be made on nanotrasen stations. I remember Bay has a bunch of companies that make things like PDAs and whatever. We seem to just assume the existence of a huge private market, presumably the sort of people the United Earth Government rule, that purchases all kinds of shit. In that way, Nanotrasen's access to that market is necessary enough that the UEG has them by the balls.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #155740

From the in game manuals (literal in game books) cloning tech is not even something Nanotrasen even invented. It was made by a third party and is a very new form of technology, with SS13 being among the first (if only) stations to be equipped with a cloning station. Not even central command has them.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #155743

It depends which way of explaining repeating names onboard you believe. You can either go "Groundhogs day loop", "This is just the first day onboard for everyone, nothing has happend before" or "Yeah, I got cloned. NT keeps rebuilding the station".
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #155745

Actually Centcom is the leading producers of Cryogenics and Genetics research. As seen on the research station away mission.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #155747

The original lore text goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back before that away mission was made.

As I said, there's no real lore on /tg/ outside of what you make for yourself. The little lore we have is more of a foundation than anything.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #155764

the vampire shadow government funds nanotrasen to use as footsoldiers against the reptoid world order back on Draconis 7.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #155833

it's also safe to assume (depending on your headcanon) that there is only 1 SS13, and each round is like a groundhog day repeat of the same station, and 1 station wouldn't be that expensive
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #155836

Or this is all just a (or the) Matrix NT set up to test loyalty/robustness of their subjects. They even sometimes run you as a syndicate spy/wizard/etc, to test how quickly you adapt to new skills/goals and so that you know how they think and how to beat them.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have