Test 4: PARANOIA ON A DEATHTRAP

General SS13 Chat
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Test 4: PARANOIA ON A DEATHTRAP

Post by Hornygranny » #163675

The next test to be run for an undetermined period of time is the removal of the general radio channel. A lot of players have commented that this game is supposed to simulate paranoia on a deathtrap, but given how easy it is to share information with the crew, you essentially know everything that's happening at any given time.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Test 4: PARANOIA ON A DEATHTRAP

Post by Bawhoppennn » #163676

I can get behind this, it will help make it more balanced for stealth antags.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #163678

Makes the game too boring.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #163679

Didn't we try this a few months ago and agree it was dumb
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #163680

It will essentially turn every weapon into parasting. Nobody in your department, or your coworker is the one killing you? Radio may as well not exist.

It will kill social interaction. Everyone will be sitting in their little forts alone not communicating.

Our entire combat system (stuns) is balanced around being able to yell for help. I don't think this is worth it.

But people have been suggesting it for years so may as well try I guess.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #163681

This is a horrible idea and you should feel horrible. Have you ever considered talking to the community before you implement these things?

Edit: Hijacking my top comment to shill the strawpoll: https://strawpoll.me/7156553/
Last edited by Luke Cox on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #163682

retarded
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #163683

Luke Cox wrote:This is a horrible idea and you should feel horrible. Have you ever considered talking to the community before you implement these things?
thats what this thread is for, my undershit memer
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #163685

Even if you have someone in your department to yell for help to how do they contact security? Would they have to go find an officer to tell them that someone in their department was killed and drug off into maint?

How would public facing jobs make station wide announcements. Like the chef requesting bodies for meat, or that he just cooked a bunch of something special. How would you report a hull breach to engineering?
It will kill social interaction. Everyone will be sitting in their little forts alone not communicating.
This would be a big problem.

I guess all inter-department communication would have to rely on PDA messages and the request consoles.

I guess it could work, would take a lot of getting used to. Might be worth a limited trial but I highly doubt enough players would support it permanently.

Station will need more bounced radios. Although this would give intercomms a use.
--Crocodillo

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163686

iamgoofball wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:This is a horrible idea and you should feel horrible. Have you ever considered talking to the community before you implement these things?
I mean more like "Hey, I'm going to try X, is that a good idea or should I kill myself?" rather than "I am doing X. React."
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #163691

Luke Cox wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
I mean more like "Hey, I'm going to try X, is that a good idea or should I kill myself?" rather than "I am doing X. React."

It's more "I'm running a test of X. What do you think" It's not permanent. They do take in feedback after the tests. We got AIs back after the test, but secborgs stayed out. While I don't think this test will turn out well I do like that they're trying these major changes. It keeps the game fresh.
--Crocodillo

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #163695

Luke Cox wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
i dont think you actuall y care about nay of these changes becuasie m noticing a trend were u just fallow hg around on forums and get angry at him
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163696

I'm a little more irked about this one because it makes the game borderline unplayable for a large number of people and absolutely guts all social interaction. I'm really, really curious as to what made HG think that this would be a good idea.

Of course, he refuses to post on the server's official forums, so I doubt we'll ever get any acknowledgment
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #163697

Removal of the public radio station does wonders to prevent every single antag interaction turning into ";hep being bmurderd in dorms pelase help Tator Fagot is ckilling me,"
It also encourages people to make more use of the lounge areas like dorms or the bar to take a break and chat every now and then

Anyway intercoms still exist and are fucking everywhere
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #163698

I think this is a bad idea, but that's why we have these tests huh?

When will the test be applied?
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163699

A better test would be to make telcoms less secure, so that antags can sabotage them. It pisses me the fuck off that we're dumbing things down because antags are too cheap to buy a bomb to fuck up telcoms. There's the need to balance things, and then there's antags that need to git gud.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #163700

cmspano wrote:Even if you have someone in your department to yell for help to how do they contact security? Would they have to go find an officer to tell them that someone in their department was killed and drug off into maint?

How would public facing jobs make station wide announcements. Like the chef requesting bodies for meat, or that he just cooked a bunch of something special. How would you report a hull breach to engineering?

I guess all inter-department communication would have to rely on PDA messages and the request consoles.

I guess it could work, would take a lot of getting used to. Might be worth a limited trial but I highly doubt enough players would support it permanently.

Station will need more bounced radios. Although this would give intercomms a use.
Assuming I'm reading this right, this is the removal of the general radio channel, not any of the department ones. Each department has its own radio channel, and security has one officer for each department. A call for help should be made on the department radio: the sec officer, the ai, or colleagues in the same department should then get in touch with security (the head of staff shares a command channel with the head of security, for example) who can try to respond to the issue.

Likewise, inter-department communication can be facilitated on the radio through heads of staff (though there's nothing wrong with PDA messages and the request consoles being more used), and the AI.

Meanwhile the crew, as always, can make public announcements by PDAing the AI with a request.

Additionally, intercoms might still run. I don't know the exact terms of this, but if they still function then you have another means to, in an emergency, alert anyone near one that has the speaker on. At the very least, the AI is likely to hear you.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #163702

I mean people will probably start to use the request consoles more which is nice
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #163704

I'm suprised people are so against this.

It makes antagging much easier and that is what is most important right? Because it makes the game so much more fun.

So I'm all for it.

Or is it that stuff like this is bad as soon as it inconviniences you?

I also have an idea for a future test, maybe we should try to include fields of vision so nobody is like a 360° guy anymore. Some other games have field of vision systems. That way people can sneak on others or attack them from a blind spot.

Would also play into the paranoia since now you can't turn your back to someone.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #163705

Ideally the situation goes where security will hear cries for help over the department they're assigned to, but realistically that won't happen because nobody plays security so antags are just going to silently murderbone for a week.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163706

We're against it because the common channel is the primary form of social interaction on the server. This change kill social interaction.

Edit: Also what Zil said. This operates under the massive assumption that security is fully staffed. It will never work in medium or low population rounds.
Last edited by Luke Cox on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #163707

dionysus24779 wrote:I'm suprised people are so against this.

It makes antagging much easier and that is what is most important right? Because it makes the game so much more fun.

So I'm all for it.

Or is it that stuff like this is bad as soon as it inconviniences you?

I also have an idea for a future test, maybe we should try to include fields of vision so nobody is like a 360° guy anymore. Some other games have field of vision systems. That way people can sneak on others or attack them from a blind spot.

Would also play into the paranoia since now you can't turn your back to someone.
Gutting the main form of interaction and coordination with most of the crew (in a roleplaying game) just to make things easier for lazy traitors who can't just blow up comms is dumb.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #163709

Yet again all the anti-change crybabies have come out of the woodwork.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163711

Bawhoppennn wrote:Yet again all the anti-change crybabies have come out of the woodwork.
Nice strawman. I'm all for change (my most active board is the ideas board), it's just that this change is retarded.
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #163712

Oh I didn't know this included intercoms
I think if anything it'd work better if it was just the regular earpiece radios
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #163713

captain sawrge wrote:Oh I didn't know this included intercoms
I think if anything it'd work better if it was just the regular earpiece radios
I actually assumed that and was about to post to that effect, stating that Intercomms should be left in. And I've actually been playing lately. a couple rounds every couple days.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163714

Earpiece only I still wouldn't like but it isn't breathtakingly retarded. Both is absolute AIDS.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #163715

cmspano wrote:We got AIs back after the test...
Yeah but I started the thread and poll for it before implementing the change and only implemented the change after we had a majority vote for the test.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163716

Sounds like something worth trying out.

I agree it would make more sense to remove headsets from non-security and command personnel and leave intercoms and request consoles functioning.

If someone wants to have a nice chat over radio they can enable the microphone in their workplace and talk while working.

That doesn't gimp the social aspect of the game- means people who are actually working are safer- and generally makes the hallways, maint, and in-between areas ambush points which is a nice way to encourage thoughtful antag tactics.

Basically- not a bad idea but might need calibrating to find exactly what works to remove "HALP IS KILL BAR" but prevent the death of cooperation between departments and banter.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163724

Strawpoll is here: https://strawpoll.me/7156553
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #163725

Oh boy. Time to play cargonia and never leave our department since we have the high ground on radio production (with mandatory killswitch microphone activation if you die to catch foolish last words) and clutch minerals (in which without, science can't really do a lot to help or build their own radios/communications)

Might as well just spawn assistants without headpieces now.

Atleast the AI wont be bombarded with requests.

Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #163726

Luke Cox wrote:Strawpoll is here: https://strawpoll.me/7156553

Misguided poll is still lacking the "I want to test it before deciding first" option.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163727

Removing headsets from everyone but sec/command wouldn't work because there's a ton of spare regular radio headsets in every locker in the dorms and locker rooms, and also spare department headsets in department lockers.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #163729

It's a dumb idea and that's the point
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163730

Ikarrus wrote:

Misguided poll is still lacking the "I want to test it before deciding first" option.
The option exists, it's called "don't vote yet"
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #163731

Luke Cox wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:

The option exists, it's called "don't vote yet"
too late I spoiled your poll but now I can't change my vote
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #163733

Removing secborgs was a horribly stupid idea.

This is so, so much worse.

Codecuck Granny you've exceeded my expectations in the worst possible ways
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #163737

it's so easy to disrupt comms if you really need to do it, no need for this change tbh
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #163739

Lifeweb has comms and there's still plenty paranoia, this change is just punishing for no reason.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163740

Ideally paranoia comes with dying quickly. Lifeweb does it by having really meaty, juicy combat and very quick death. Here it's the opposite, we're flour bags of health that take a while to die.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #163741

Zilenan91 wrote:Ideally paranoia comes with dying quickly. Lifeweb does it by having really meaty, juicy combat and very quick death. Here it's the opposite, we're flour bags of health that take a while to die.
Then change everyones health from 200 to 100(100 crit to 50 crit) instead of this change that fucks a critical aspect of the game.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #163742

cmspano wrote:Even if you have someone in your department to yell for help to how do they contact security? Would they have to go find an officer to tell them that someone in their department was killed and drug off into maint?

This would be a big problem.

I assume intercoms still exist and are functional?
Zilenan91 wrote:Ideally paranoia comes with dying quickly. Lifeweb does it by having really meaty, juicy combat and very quick death. Here it's the opposite, we're flour bags of health that take a while to die.
This
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163743

But that just makes everyone die quicker without making combat more fun, that would just be frustrating.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #163745

Zilenan91 wrote:But that just makes everyone die quicker without making combat more fun, that would just be frustrating.
I'm sure this would do the same, if not quicker then more without anyone noticing, and more one by one.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163746

Holy fuck Zil stop making so many insightful comments you're starting to scare me
Puglord
Byond Username: Puglord64

Post by Puglord » #163747

I want to get off HG's wild ride.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #163765

We've been at this all of a few days and hell has already flooded over
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #163767

*hours

Of all the tests this one is the most retarded by far. AI removal had a decent support base, and even removing silicon policy wasn't this unpopular.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #163771

Playing AI with these changes especially without a nearby intercom (looking at you metastation) is frustration incarnate because you can't scream out OBVIOUS DANGER, IM SHUTTING THAT DOOR DOWN, DONT YOU DARE!! over comms anymore.

Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #163774

Stupid change, if you can't kill someone without him screaming out as a traitor you are doing it wrong.

You can even kill people easily with the stetchkin without them screaming out.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.