Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Oldman Robustin's guide to fighting the Blob

Post by Oldman Robustin » #14437

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Re: Oldman Robustin's guide to fighting the Blob

Post by Cheridan » #14441

thank you for bringing this exploit to our attention we will have it patched post haste
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #14443

funny joke
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #14444

>not just feeding the blob fuel tanks while firing your flamethrower backwards into the crowd of people trying to kill bleb
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #14462

well this is just another example of extreme powergaming from oldman robustin isn't it
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #14469

danno wrote:>not just feeding the blob fuel tanks while firing your flamethrower backwards into the crowd of people trying to kill bleb
The funny thing is that people actually do this.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #14492

I heard flashbangs work well on the blob so I'm going to empty all the boxes of flashbangs from the brig and this clusterbang I found into the unsuspecting crowd of people with welders. H-Here I go!
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #14503

Bonus points if some harm intenting fucktard pushes you adjacent and you die anyway.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #14512

And he still misses all the important points of blob fighting. Getting dem emitters, lasering, USE THE INVERSE WEDGE FORMATION YOU FUCKNUGGETS, IF YOU STAND IN A LINE THE PEOPLE ON THE SIDES LASER THE GUY NEXT TO THEM. Also xray lasers and other fancy shit. And don't bomb it either, you're just making it harder for everyone else.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Helios127
Rarely plays

Post by Helios127 » #14514

if no oxygen blob dont evoluate?
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
Mono
Byond Username: Mon0

Post by Mono » #14521

>Not changing ai laws to tell it to flood plasma
Spoiler:
Mono was Sweeny Thyme (survived)
Objective #1: Make an example out of those who would harm the station's innocent animals. Success!
Objective #2: Do not kill them. Success!
The traitor was successful!

DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "assistants are to space stations as badgers are to the animal kingdom"
DEAD: ADMIN(Scaredofshadows) says, "too many badgers and they'd take over the world"

OOC: Arkire: Wizards, please obey the wizardly bushido code of honour in the future, so as to avoid hurting the feelings of the people you're allowed - and encouraged - to kill. I suggest falling on your staff and being impaled in order to appease them
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #14528

Flooding plasma is one of the worst things you can do, unless you're atmos tech attacking from some forgotten side of the blob. Fire does massively weaken blob, yes, but to make it count you need people pushing it. People who will burn, freeze and suffocate if they don't have atmos hardsuits or firesuits (most people don't).
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14535

Also if the blob sets up a space breach and lets some air out it can probably tank a less intense plasma fire, the blob I saw do this immediately started saving their resources as soon as they saw the cloud and killed the dumbass CE who charged it in the middle of an inferno then won.

I would be surprised if anyone who has seen the blob in action wouldn't notice it moved in straight lines. Blob is the green knight of antags.

Flashbangs work really well but even if you warn people idiots will keep charging in while you do it and that is ever WITH comms still working goddam.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #14548

Why are blobs allowed to make long strands of blob to snipe emitters and shit it completely ruins the whole point of attacking from all angles or having the blob spread in a different direction than you're attacking in.

Blobs who box themselves in and only allow for expansion in one direction should be fucked up that's like the whole point.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #14566

It's all about applying pressure Paprika. If a blob ever managed to launch out from 8+ tiles away (and nobody tries to stop it) to start eating emitters then you've probably already lost.

You need to constantly be pressuring the blob, forcing it to use blob expansions to glomp crew or drop desperately needed nodes... if the blob can just store up 60-100+ energy without any pressure then the blob deserves to wipe out emitters, emitters shouldn't be an "i win" tool, they aren't even hard to set up as long as some idiot hasn't stolen the PACMAN.

Space is obviously the best insulated against blob, although if you use rods to help move the emitters up you should remove them after... it takes a RIDICULOUS amount of chems to expand in space and even a stupidly large blob cant expand in space faster than 1 welder can push it back.

The first 5 minutes of a blob's life are the most crucial. If you don't even know there's a blob by the time you hear the biohazard alert you've probably lost unless it's really bad at expanding. Every minute that passes without extensive pressure being applied to the blob in ever direction means the crew is going to have to come up with something even stronger to make up for it.

There are still a few miracle plays that we don't see enough:

1) Gygax with laser cannon and flashbang launcher + uranium reactor (make sure pilot has a radsuit or antitox)

2) Mass produced weaponry (plasma cutters, laser cannons, xray lasers) from Science

3) Telescience correctly bombing the core repeatedly a few seconds apart

4) Riot Suit + Doctor's Delight + Tricord + Bicardine = Unkillable Blob Nemesis. Putting this combo together isn't even hard but I guarantee you security is going to be fucking retarded and waste the riot suits. If you manage to get this ball rolling you should carve a path straight for the core and kill it. Just sit next to the core and fuck its shit up, you will kill it faster than it can kill you unless its got blob zombies on you as well.

5) Multiple emitter arrays in space. Miners have PACMAN and plasma, Cargo can order emitters... its a damn shame they don't figure this out more to put out more emitters.

6) Medbay/Robotics not being a useless piece of shit. It's not hard to rebuild sleepers on the front lines, and its REALLY not hard to do medbot spam. The difference between 5 medbots keeping everyone topped off versus a constant ferry of crit and wounded crew walking to and from medbay is PHENOMENAL.

7) A sec hero. Sec typically uses blob as a chance to shine its shitcurity badge. What sec doesnt understand is that regular lasers/eguns are BARELY more effective than intelligent welder use. Even with 5+ chargers set up, each officer having to stop what he's doing after killing 3-4 blob tiles to run back, recharge, wait around for 60 seconds while it charges up, then run back to take out 4 more tiles is NOT that great. Lasers are fantastic for BURST damage and that's exactly how they should be used. I am honestly 100% behind the idea of HoS/Warden/Captain (proven competent) taking the entire armory weaponry for themselves and instructing the rest of sec to go get welders from cargo's autolathe. Blob's can typically ignore the average laser user because they will fire 1-2 volleys, mess up several blob tiles, but never destroy anything important... and by the time they come back the tiles have regenned and you've expanded even further. What DOES fucking scare me as a blob is when one dude lines up on a node and unloaded 4-5+ guns on me... I start panicking and often I can't even save the node. Follow up with flashbangs to ensure a new node isnt dropped quickly and one officer can basically cripple the blob one node at a time.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14614

The blob is the only antag that will dunk a mech no worries. I have seen blobs take out space capable pulse cannon wielding adminspawn mechs.

How? Blob fragments. If you can make enough to somewhat surround the mech it can't turn fast enough and the mech fire rate is pretty bad too.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #14616

Incomptinence wrote:The blob is the only antag that will dunk a mech no worries. I have seen blobs take out space capable pulse cannon wielding adminspawn mechs.

How? Blob fragments. If you can make enough to somewhat surround the mech it can't turn fast enough and the mech fire rate is pretty bad too.
I cant imagine it would be able to even scratch a mech with melee reinforced armor. Im pretty sure that armor flat out negates anything that does 10 or less melee damage.
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #14619

Do blobs still insta crit or did that change get removed as quickly as it was implemented.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #14621

sick drawing
I accept donations, click here
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14625

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:The blob is the only antag that will dunk a mech no worries. I have seen blobs take out space capable pulse cannon wielding adminspawn mechs.

I cant imagine it would be able to even scratch a mech with melee reinforced armor. Im pretty sure that armor flat out negates anything that does 10 or less melee damage.
It took a lot of time but they did kill it. Can't remember if it had that armour though.
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #14646

On the note of killing blobs, Xray lasers currently cost 5000 uranium and 2500 gold.

That's with the lathe upgraded.

Good luck getting a xray laser anymore. Honk.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #14698

le ergo faec :^)
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #14702

Durkel wrote:On the note of killing blobs, Xray lasers currently cost 5000 uranium and 2500 gold.

That's with the lathe upgraded.

Good luck getting a xray laser anymore. Honk.
Is that a recent change? I remember a bleb not to long ago where we were turning out xrays and plasma cutters at a pretty good clip.
Orzorn

Post by Orzorn » #14705

>all those people who set up emitters where the blob can see them
>instead of behind a wall and then deconstructing the wall when the emitter is ready

This alone will kill most blobs. Blobs like to leave walls a lot so its harder to get to them. You can use that to your advantage and put emitters where the blob won't see them.

Shit, if you really want to, put emitters two walls over.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #14720

5k uranium isn't even 2 sheets and 2500 gold is less than a sheet of gold, lmfao

You can kill a blob with as little as two xray lasers all on their own as long as the core is within range so yeah that's not a bad price at all. That isn't a problem with rnd, that's a problem with mining, the drop rates need to be increased for mineral turfs but please someone other than cultist chan do it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #14737

paprika wrote:5k uranium isn't even 2 sheets and 2500 gold is less than a sheet of gold, lmfao

You can kill a blob with as little as two xray lasers all on their own as long as the core is within range so yeah that's not a bad price at all. That isn't a problem with rnd, that's a problem with mining, the drop rates need to be increased for mineral turfs but please someone other than cultist chan do it.
One sheet is 2000.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #14753

geilebeer wrote:
danno wrote:>not just feeding the blob fuel tanks while firing your flamethrower backwards into the crowd of people trying to kill bleb
The funny thing is that people actually do this.
I like that people subscribe to my school of blob destruction.

> being welding tool plebs
> the indeterminate time SS13 takes place in the 2550's anno blobbo

The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #15037

Kelenius wrote:
paprika wrote:5k uranium isn't even 2 sheets and 2500 gold is less than a sheet of gold, lmfao

One sheet is 2000.
It's more than 3k unless I'm remembering wrong or it was changed

Nevermind, it's 2000. Huh, I could've sworn it was more than that.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #15060

It's supposed to be 3750, but I think someone changed that because they hate rnd. (ergo)

My bad in any case, I made a new buffed mineral rate PR which hopefully will be merged and make this easier i guess.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #15158

metal and glass being 2000 while the rest was 3750 was pretty stupid tbh.
not saying that the balance changes are good but it makes sense for them all to give the same amount. (again, not saying i agree with balance changes)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #15187