Away Missions Spinoff

General SS13 Chat
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Away Missions Spinoff

Post by paprika » #198110

Edit: This is not a ship-focused game. This is a game where the rounds are built around away missions rather than them being a sidenote feature. Thanks!

Presenting the spiritual successor to Space Station 13, this time coded in the classic platform dream maker!
Three decades since the Plasma Wars of the '50s, space is cold. Nanotrasen and the Syndicate, the largest interplanetary conglomerates of mining corporations are locked in a territory stalemate since the arms race has reached a point of 'planet cracker' S-WMD deterrence.

You are a crew member enlisted with the WOLF CORPS, an 'elite' paramilitary organization that is privately contracted to the highest bidder. Along with your team of privateers, take on missions, explore the relics of the old war, and survive!
Space Ship 13 is a total conversion but builds on the concepts that made Space Station popular. Multiple roles, rounds, playable antags, and a dangerous environment make the experience similar while having a distinctly different round flow. The primary map is a movable vessel that transits between z-levels, ditching the stale concept of escape pods and escape shuttles.

The rounds have a universal round timer, which will end the round if ticked to 00:00. This means each mission has a time limit by default, but this can be disabled if the mission is more roleplay-oriented and you anticipate longer rounds. Admins can also disable the round timer if need be.

The missions also end instantly if the mission's goal is complete, whether that be collecting an object, killing enemies, or doing those things and then escaping in the ship afterwards. Mission creators can set their round-end goals to be anything.
This is where Space Ship 13 really breaks off from Space Station to create a much better environment for community content as well as server independence.

Replacing gamemodes, events, mining, and away missions is the new 'missions' system. This is the focal point of all SSh13 rounds: independently created, server-side missions with customizable mission timers, title screens, multi-zlevel transition support, as well as self-packaging custom assets. Think of ArmA scenarios.

Any custom .dmis, .dms, sound files, et cetera are packaged with the mission map files themselves and #included using the mission .dm, which also sets the title of the mission. The only thing required of missions is that they have a timer and at least one landing zone for the Space Ship itself.

Why is this beneficial?

It allows people to make custom content that is the focus of the rounds while also allowing custom content creators to circumvent github politics. You do not need to contribute to the main Space Ship 13 github in order to create custom weapons, roles, et cetera. All you need to do is make custom files and package them with your mission, ala 'ministation'. This allows for missions to totally transform the rounds, as well as have incredible secrets and exploration since the missions are server-sided and ran by the host of the server. Obviously, you can release your missions for other servers to use as well.

Missions can be anything. The default mission packaged with Space Ship 13 is 'stranded', my personal template mission that involves collecting fuel rods for the ship's engine from several wreckages of space stations. Missions can be gamemodes or have custom antags included, as well as roles for observers.
Once the game has finished the first alpha tests, my code will be released on github for collaboration and mission-making. You can contribute to the main project, but ideally the github project will be 80% bugfixes and code improvements, 20% features. This is because features will be made inside of custom missions made by communities of servers who host Space Ship instead of everyone screaming at each other that security jumpsuits should definitely be red!!!

The idea is that the github is where improvements to the ship(s) themselves and the roles are made so that missions have their own testing periods and don't break the base game. If a mission is broken, it can just be removed until the creator fixes it.
Playable alpha of the ship, mostly completed roles, and placeholder assets is expected to be around winter this year. I'm pretty far along coding myself, but obviously things will go faster once the code is up on github.

Media coming soon.
Last edited by paprika on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Space Ship 13

Post by ShadowDimentio » #198116

Is this one of your memes Paprika

I feel like Walt Disney every time he wakes up from cryo, excitedly asking if the Jews are finally dead yet, and then going back to sleep sad when they aren't
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198117

No, this is something I've really worked on for the past few months. I've realized that rather than changing ss13 I should just make the version of ss13 I've always wanted to play which is focused around the away missions concept and not antags so much. I think ss13 has a problem with stagnation and lack of creative content because while I think gamemodes like Clock Cult take a tremendous amount of effort to make, if they're only played a few rounds out of 100 it's a waste of potential where missions can be played whenever you want since they're not secret. The secrecy comes from the missions themselves, which are serverside and unexplorable by observers.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #198118

So Goof away missions but the entire game

Well you've got me interested
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #198134

So almost like Destiny? The doees the ship 'jump' away from it's location?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #198142

Who will take the time to make this content and map everything out though, SS13 doesn't exactly have a massive playerbase to keep something like this healthy,
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #198168

like all SS13 remakes I'll believe it when I see play it
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #198177

> It's another SS13 remake

Yeah, sorry, no. I don't believe anymore.
Bring back papercult.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #198194

If it keeps crapkrika away from the tgstatiom codebase I'm all for it.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #198233

Seems neat. Might attract the powergamers who get bored if there's nothing to kill.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #198246

Open source?
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #198278

I'm all for the ss13 engine/codebase being used for something, whether this materializes or not. Considering such things myself before, one thing that it can benefit from is spriting. Away missions and all that I think can be done with what is present. One limiting factor however is the somewhat low amount of natural environments.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #198285

empty promises
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198307

Thankfully my passion project doesn't require any approval from you guys

At the very least I can probably manage to do CM better than CM once I finish datum antags
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #198489

i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #198592

That's probably the greatest ss13 related image I have ever seen.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198605

It's a lot funnier considering I made this thread in celebration of getting unbanned in the first place

Too bad someone's jealous they didn't think of it first
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198617

Anyway here's a progress update on what I have done in preparation for working alpha tests.

The system I've developed for missions is a lot more modular than I originally had it a few months ago, rather than hardcoding a lot of stuff there's seperate mission datums (much like gamemode datums) that determine the round flow. The mission datums are tied to the maps and can be customized with separate proc checks independent of the master gamemode controller which is just a modified 'extended' gamemode right now (because of a lack of patience for dealing with the shit gamemode code).

Antags are datumized and it's easy when you don't have to convert a lot of pre-existing antags to datums. I think initially I'm going to stick with allowing users to choose whether or not they'd like to be considered for antag in a general pref because of the nature of antag datums being tied to the missions themselves. I'd make generic 'traitors' and shit but I think that would undermine the nature of variety I'm setting up.

I don't really expect people to contribute to this initially until I run more public playtests that's not just me and a few people I know helping me with asset work but at the very least this absurd effort in byond's shit language will make it easier for myself down the line.

I implemented this system here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 53#p171853 as well since it was fairly easy to code.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #198622

So, FTL13?
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198625

I wish byond had the capacity for the kind of events and dynamic ship gameplay that FTL has. It'd make it a lot more fun. The ship is only a glorified shuttle right now and probably will remain that way for quite some time, so don't get your hopes up. I initially wanted something a lot more focused on the ship, maintaining it, and inter-ship gameplay, but ultimately byond is not made for that kind of shit. I mean, you could code that in theory, but not on top of ss13 which is the only thing I'm super familiar with. Working on a mod for ss13 that's more focused on away missions and co-op/semiPVP dungeon crawling is more what this is about.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #198626

FTL13.com
Someone is already doing it lel
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198630

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who knows the way forward for this game is the end of the station grief lotto.

I'm probably gonna be renaming this project to 'away mission' since it's more of a continuation of that and will probably be less confusing to the people who think I'm making a moveable space station.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #198631

This is a pretty friggin ambitious project, but it seems like you have already made some good headway on it and honestly if you pull it off it is gonna be fucking cool as shit. Would love to see this come together
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer

Re: Away Missions Spinoff

Post by oranges » #198749

It's not that ambitious, 99% of the framework exists within ss13 code anyway. They're just adding a new gameplay wrapper to replace our roundbased one.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #198752

The ambitious part is getting enough people to make missions, and not halfass/rush them, which was one of the biggest problems with away missions in ss13.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198757

The reason they were halfassed and rushed is because there was no framework to add custom content to make away missions interesting

Even one with a ridiculous amount of time put into it like MO13 still was limited as fuck to baseline, var-edited assets. Just ask WJ.

Also what Oranges says. The reason a pleb like me can code this without much issue is due to the diligent work of coders like Carn and Coiax and their work on the shuttles system. Credit where it's due, I'm mostly modifying their code.

An example is here:

I've packaged 'stranded' by itself. All the assets (sprites for the radioactive engine fuel rods you need to collect for the ship to win the mission) are packaged with it. If another mission wanted to use it all they'd have to do is copy the content. Obviously this wouldn't be possible if the missions were 100% serversided, but mission creators can obviously share their assets if they decide to do so and people want to use them without sharing the map file itself to preserve secrets or surprises. My missions will be fully open sourced so people can pull from them but my code is shite so it doesn't matter much.

Almost all of the ship assets will be global and in the codebase itself.

WARNING: don't get your hopes up. My coding is messy and shit. Fortunately you won't need to worry about my lack of code standards or /tg/'s because as long as your shit works and doesn't break the game it's accepted. This should facilitate content creation too. I'm not trying to make a dig at /tg/ here, this would be a good place for people to practice making ss13 content without needing to shit up /tg/.
Last edited by paprika on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #198758

paprika wrote: Even one with a ridiculous amount of time put into it like MO13 still was limited as fuck to baseline, var-edited assets. Just ask WJ.
WJ is the reason his stuff doesn't have custom content, he refuses to learn, despite hanging out in coderbus all the time surrounded by plenty of people willing to help.
You know this pap we've worked together on stuff and I've helped you with questions.

It's the one thing I'll always put WJ down for, he asks for custom stuff but isn't willing to learn.
私は完璧
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198760

I'm not gonna speculate on WJ or any other coder. It was probably wrong to use him as an example. All I know is that the desire to make interesting custom shit on an easy framework is there (I personally have this desire) so I think this project will facilitate that for a lot of people.

My experiences in coding for /tg/ (as much of a joke as it is to a lot of people) taught me that trying to cram shit into this game and change it turns it into a bloody corpse of what it used to be. I'd rather just make my own thing and let people join me if they have similar desires. I feel like a lot of coders take heat for this too, so maybe it's a better idea to allow them to make their content in a vacuum and we can all gather 'round and enjoy it together without having to worry about it 'ruining /tg/'.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #198799

paprika wrote:Playable alpha of the ship, mostly completed roles, and placeholder assets is expected to be around winter this year.
i think u made this thread too soon but GL
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #198802

Better than people asking what codebase I'm working for when I ask them code questions, but yeah, it will probably be sooner than that in any case
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #198875

memes aside this looks pretty cool good job pap
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #198908

also even if it doesn't zoom off to a bold new era, it should provide trickleback in the form of either content that can be away missions or space ruinized.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #200892

Since /tg/ is going through some serious growing pains right now (64x sprites, higher fps, etc) I'm going to wait for those things to be developed before continuing this. /tg/ is still the codebase I'm basing off of and I want to wait for a lot of those big features that might make a lot of this work obsolete.

I developed this system in a vacuum, so I can add them to a branch on /tg/ if need be eventually. This thread is early but I just want people to know that away missions are getting a proper successor, one day, eventually, soontm.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #205211

this seems like it could be a really cool idea, like landing a ship on a planet to get resorces to do r&d and do bigger and better missions

as long as there is chances of space pirates that can attack you in space that would be cool