J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Detective guide

Post by J_Madison » #203411

This is your office.
This is your gun.
Spoiler:
This is the Captain's wife and your son.
What you do:
Spoiler:
You solve all the crimes. Well, as many as you loosely can.
What you have:
Spoiler:
.38 Special. Stuns on hit.
2 Speedloaders. 6 rounds to a loader, 18 rounds in total to start with. Sneak up to an autolathe and print more if you can. You can reycle these for free ammo.
Scanner - two of them. your bread and butter.
Wooden baton - these don't need to be charged, but you can't stun as many people with them. They just don't make batons like they used to.
White crayon - for marking locations.
Security holotape - for securing crime scenes.
Evidence bags - for securing evidence.
Camera - for taking pictures of crime in progress or a scene.
Pepperspray - for dealing with slow people without facial protection.
What to do when not solving crimes:
Walk around. Look for crime in progress, search maint shafts, scan things that look off.
Stand by to assist other officers.
Update records.

Solving crimes
Spoiler:
Take note of the crime scene. Mark a body, take a picture.
Scan things that the perp could have possibly touched. This includes entrances, exits, tables, items, the whole lot.
Time is critical; if there's an item that you think is important, put it into your evidence bag.
Longer you leave it, harder to solve.
Cross reference evidence. Who touched what, and how does it connect?
Is it the same case or is this a seperate case?
Match fibres to items, match items to finger prints, match disguises and red herrings to photographs.

If you're here, this means the crime is a little more complex.
Reconstruct the crime scene.
Look at where the blood runs, scan the doors and which way did the suspect go in and out.
Scan which items were touched, which objects were interacted with.
Cross reference these. Find a lead; if you get black gloves it's a dead end.
Closing cases
Spoiler:
Found some fibres? Found some prints? Took a picture? Found blood?
Put these together, print out your evidence.
Match something to all of these. Back this up with evidence.
Tell the security team.
Set the suspect to arrest.
Cold cases
Spoiler:
A cold case is when you have no leads and no suspect.
This is commonly the case with small crimes, multiple suspects, crimes that've taken a long time to solve, adulterated evidence, or professionals.
In most cases, drop these cases. It's too difficult to solve who messed with the captain's door when there's 4 different fibres and 3 different fingerprints.
Example case
Spoiler:
Clown was killed in dorms maint (metastation)
Cause of death was beating to death.
Clown was cuffed.
No nearby weapons.
Clown has firesuit and green gloves fibres on him.

Scanned objects;
Dorms maint.
North Engineering maint doors.
East/Starboard hallway maint doors.
Holodeck maint doors.
Crates and lockers

Results;
Killer came in from Starboard Hallway maint doors.
Exitted by Dorms maint doors.
Opened up several crates and lockers before murdering the Clown.
Fingerprints on lockers point to Assistant A.
Fibres; Insulated gloves, firesuit.
Engineering maint has green gloves, grey jumpsuit fibres.
Firesuit is missing.

Conclusion;
Scanning the engineering maint doors and the firesuit locker shows Assistant A's fingerprints.
Scanning the lockers and the crates shows Assistant A's fingerprints.

Likely case;
Assistant A captured the clown, stole a firesuit as a disguise along with green gloves from a crate or a locker.

Search of Assistant A on arrest showed him covered in blood, and having an energy dagger and stunprod.
Emagged doors/RCD;
Spoiler:
Scan that door.
Scan doors nearby that the suspect might have touched.
Scan anything in the room the suspect might have touched.
Cross reference these, narrow down suspects.
Changeling;
Spoiler:
One of the most difficult cases as a detective. Getting fingerprints or fibres is almost futile.
Husks don't have blood. Find something to identify them with. Fingerprints is key.
Husks; get the fingerprints. Remember these are dead people. Anyone you see as them, kill them.
Cross reference scans of where the changeling might have walked from and to and how they snatched their target.
Take note of possible identities.
Keep coffee with you.
Do not go alone.
Shoot to kill, do the nastiest tricks you can on them.
Immediately after killing them, cuff them, and take it further. Whether this be loading them on sedatives, gibbing/cremating, or even better; N2O.
Cultists;
Spoiler:
Scan for blood on the runes. Easy to match them to a target.
Scan cultist headquarters after they're raided or abandoned. Doors will lead you to new leads.
Light their papers on fire.
Operators;
Spoiler:
Your pistol bypasses their shield. Abuse this.
Gangs;
Spoiler:
Scan meetup locations, spray cans, knives, guns; find out who passed what onto who.
Cross reference this and find out who are the big fish. Proceed to assassinating these big fish if your team is dead.
Rogue officer;
Spoiler:
Another difficult to deal with case. This person is the one that works with you.
Ask them for a piece of equipment from them. This innocent request may work. Scan it for someone else's prints that seem unusual.
Keep a lookout when you see repeated fibres of black gloves.
Fingerprints of another officer shows their disguise wasn't perfect when they touched something.
Blood on their body will show they've been beating something.
Talk to someone you trust privately. Keep communications away from suspected rogue officers.
Check employment records.
Check manifest records for job changes.
Keep an eye out for when was they were last seen.
Look for slight variations in their disguises.
Scan their equipment if they leave it lying around.
Check for stolen equipment.
When things go wrong:
Spoiler:
Are you the last man left? Incompetent security team? Dead security team? Security doesn't exist? Are you Manny Pardo?
Your .38 Special can be modified to fire .357.
Your .38 knocks down in one hit and bypasses many protection systems.
If it's a suspect you can't subdue without going lethal, it's your life or his life. Dump your cylinders into him.
Other interesting tricks
Spoiler:
Lethal injection syringes will kill anyone except lings with a very specific skill.
An evil way to subdue changelings is to drain them of blood whilst continuously beating them.
A pair of cuffs is on the brig counter at the start of boxstation rounds. Take them.
You can put tiny items into your trenchcoat pocket.
Broken grilles and Windows have evidence to brig the window smasher. This is the same for false walls.
You're officially not security. You are able to do shady things as a detective.
Pepperspray works on a delay. If you're getting chased, put on harm intent and run to a wall, spray in front of you. Your suspect will run into you, stop moving because your back is against the wall, and into the pepperspray.
You can open personal lockers and bypass their security system in the dorms or locker room.
Last edited by J_Madison on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Varnesy
Byond Username: Varnesy

Re: Detective guide

Post by Varnesy » #203413

Might want to add that empty 38. speedloaders can be refunded at the lathe for full amount a loaded one can. Which means that empty ones put in equals full ones come out.
When I am being a faggot online I play as Varnes Mironov, Jean LeBlanc and Farely Brooks

Voted most likely to get lynched 23 years in a row.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203414

Added.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #203416

my favorite part of playing detective is when i use my scanner to solve a crime, arrest somebody, find evidence on them, turn them into security, then get bitched at in OOC later on for "being a shitty detective and arresting people on flimsy suspicion"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203418

PKPenguin321 wrote:my favorite part of playing detective is when i use my scanner to solve a crime, arrest somebody, find evidence on them, turn them into security, then get bitched at in OOC later on for "being a shitty detective and arresting people on flimsy suspicion"
Personally, my favourite was a Librarian who killed someone. Complained that he covered his tracks and used disguises.
His biggest mistake was not covering up the track's tracks and not disposing of his disguise properly.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #203419

Great guide! I have so many good memories playing detective, unfortunately I stopped once I realized that security officer is probably better for my playstyle. Remember to check for implants if you can't find the contraband on them. It creates so much salt when you dig a storage implant out.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #203437

I thought this thread was going to be about cyberstalking and doxxing people being an Internet Detective.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #203459

Good detectives actually make antags pretty intresting.
I remember getting a syndi bundle once and dumping the box in maint.
Later when I was up to no good, suddenly tased in the back and cuffed.
"WHAT!?"
"You're under arrest"
"FOR WHAT YOU AINT GOT SHIT ON ME COPPER!"
"I got your fingers prints on a cardboard box and... officer if you'd be kind enough to search em for me"
Get searched, tator gear.
GG

Interestingly enough because I got caught, alive, by a detective there was way more RP after that. I was stopped from doing traitorous stuff but still continued into the round (captain actually mad a squad of antags to capture other antags, it was hilariously and predictably terrible, but was definitely something different).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #203488

peoplearestrange wrote:Good detectives actually make antags pretty intresting.
God trying to hide my traitor shit is such a pain in the ass. I always order the surplus gear crate, which will inevitably give me a powersink or a surgery duffel bag. Both of these are too big for a backpack, so I have to find a way to dispose of those without drawing suspicion.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #203505

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Good detectives actually make antags pretty intresting.
God trying to hide my traitor shit is such a pain in the ass. I always order the surplus gear crate, which will inevitably give me a powersink or a surgery duffel bag. Both of these are too big for a backpack, so I have to find a way to dispose of those without drawing suspicion.
Always order the surplus near your closet airlock/crusher. Disposing of evidence has never been easier!
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203508

Could write a guide; how to throw off security and investigators.

Goofball reminded me Det can open personal lockers. Updated with that.

God damn who actually uses those lockers...
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #203514

I guess everyone knows you can put dead mice in det's hat.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #203523

MMMiracles wrote: Always order the surplus near your closet airlock/crusher. Disposing of evidence has never been easier!
The crusher is weird. Like, if you have stuff inside a box, it'll crush the box and spit everything else out without crushing it all. And spacing it... that's always bitten me in the ass. Someone inevitably finds it once it drifts back and gets caught on some girder.
J_Madison wrote:Could write a guide; how to throw off security and investigators.
We need this guide so bad.
J_Madison wrote: Goofball reminded me Det can open personal lockers. Updated with that.

God damn who actually uses those lockers...
I use them as a source for generic headsets all the time.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #203532

Generally when i am an assistant i keep any changes of clothes or other items i discard in there, but nothing important
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #203542

Oh man you guys dont understand the p o w e r of personal lockers

No one EVER checks or uses them so you can stash literally anything in there
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #203568

Abandoned crates are another effective way to dispose of your shit if you find one (assuming you solve the puzzle instead of shooting it open like a fucking pleb)

put your incriminating shit in there, lock that bad boy, and set it off.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #203570

I was once the detective and an assistant found a syndi gun in maint.
I scanned the gun and got the identity of the traitor,
nothings more rewarding than catching the perp then bludgeoning him to death with a wood baton.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #203573

Atlanta-Ned wrote:The crusher is weird. Like, if you have stuff inside a box, it'll crush the box and spit everything else out without crushing it all. And spacing it... that's always bitten me in the ass. Someone inevitably finds it once it drifts back and gets caught on some girder
I think thats a recent change to the code. Certainly it seems to do it when I delete say something like a medkit, it just drops the stuff now rather than deleting all. Its actually a pain in the ass.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #203583

peoplearestrange wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:The crusher is weird. Like, if you have stuff inside a box, it'll crush the box and spit everything else out without crushing it all. And spacing it... that's always bitten me in the ass. Someone inevitably finds it once it drifts back and gets caught on some girder
I think thats a recent change to the code. Certainly it seems to do it when I delete say something like a medkit, it just drops the stuff now rather than deleting all. Its actually a pain in the ass.
It's also not spitting out metal and glass :(
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #203601

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
J_Madison wrote:Could write a guide; how to throw off security and investigators.
We need this guide so bad.
my personal methods

1. creative hiding spots for evidence.
try stashing small stuff inside exosuits. ever since that storage update stuff like labcoats can hold emags and eswords and such and nobody checks them.
personal lockers can be good for stashing. also try putting stuff underneath water or fuel tanks. there are also smuggler satchels if you've got extra TCs.
wear gloves, if you're extra paranoid carry multiple gloves of different, remember to dispose of old gloves properly

1b. prevent cloning
what good is a murder if the victim just gets cloned and tells everybody what you did? remove his head, gib, cremate, or space him, disable the cloner, steal the defibs. this is a bare essential that really barely needs to be said, but it's always something to keep in mind. if you're killing several people, it can be a better choice to disable the cloner/steal the defibs than to gib every corpse, if only for the sake of speed.

2. ditch on-person evidence
this wont always work if security is observant, but hear me out:
say you're dodging through maint and security is looking for you. you've got an esword, a hatchet, and a sawn off shotgun in your backpack. suddenly you open a door and a sec officer is staring you right in the face. you begin to sax. during your sax, what you do is simply drop your things in dark corners of maint. just drop them. when security catches and searches you, provided they don't have hard witness to your crimes, they'll find nothing and usually let you go to go collect your stuff. i've actually experienced this scenario and it works better than you'd expect.

3. speed
once you're done with one crime, haul ass. get to the opposite end of the station. do another crime. this tactic is often used for murderboning and it works pretty well, especially with emagging doors. just get in and get out before anybody can react, and soon you've got yourself a mess too big for any detective to work through in a reasonable amount of time.

4. kill the detective
just kill him and throw his scanner in a crusher or something. make sure you get the extra one from his closet. as a bonus you also get a free gun

5. dont wear snowflake clothing
one time i was a detective and got red plaid dress fibers on the door to the vault. there is literally only one red plaid dress on the station and there was one person wearing it. i wonder who could have done it???
that being said, if you're an assistant, wear your greys. engineers wear their uniforms, scientists wear their labcoats, etc. blend in.

6. lose the heat
often times if you wait out a little bit after security is on you, they'll eventually turn to another big criminal. you'll still be set to arrest in most cases, but if you can get yourself off arrest you can often just walk around unconcealed and most people won't even turn their heads. don't stand around officers for too long, though.

7. kill all of security
then there wont be anybody to arrest you at all
still be careful of vigilantes though
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #203638

Get a storage implant and ship the box/empty implanter back to centcomm on the cargo shuttle and they vanish.

Then you can hide your antag items in it and nobody ever thinks to check for an implant.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #203644

Ask a miner to dump your stuff in lava/chasm.

If you have access, do it yourself.

Or just kill a miner that's assumed to be dead/camp genetics for their stuff.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #203655

Lots of good tips. I see interrogations aren't mentioned here. Anyone in security could do them, but you're the detective, so you know the evidence already. They just take time.

Some people will never talk. You can normally tell who these people are before interrogating.

Pure violence will never persuade someone. If it does, they would have talked anyway, but it's more likely to make people clam up.

Offer something meaningful to them. Freedom, borging, perma instead of execution, whatever. A lot of the time what you're offering is "not being in interrogation for very long".

Ask reasonable questions. Who are they working for? Why do they have [item]? What was their plan? Do they have criminal associates? What were their objectives? What's their PDA code/where's their base/where's the stash? Why's this got blood on it?

A surprising amount of people will answer these. If they don't, you can get creative. Methods which are both creative and seem slightly out of your control are best (this is why good cop bad cop is a classic technique, it's also why if it's obvious nobody gives a shit). Light them on fire or use mystery syringes or flip coins or whatever. If you can create a genuine sense of tension, while genuinely having something to offer, you can weasel something out.

Not related, but if you're going to take the best gun on the station you ought to be a very good shot, even robust generally. You're an important backup for officers. Any idiot can ask for the forensics scanner (with access) and do most of the rest of this stuff.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203659

Sequel to How to detective.

This guide is garuanteed to mess with even the most grizzled detective, throw off security, and generally make you a pain to keep an eye on.
However this isn't a guide to getting away with murder.
Results are not garuanteed. Tolerance of shennanigans varies and you might be stunned and cuffed on the thinniest piece of evidence.

Disguises and how to;
Make sure you have two disguises; your normal gear and your disguise.
A Soviet jumpsuit and green gloves disguise is useless if you're caught wearing Soviet jumpsuit and green gloves, or caught with the disguise in your bag.
Change headsets. A cargo headset points to a cargo tech. But if a cargo tech is wearing a normal headset, something is off.
Don't be a special snowflake. If you insist on wearing something, or doing something, or otherwise standing out; forget about disguising. Doesn't work that way. You stand out.
Don't be a special snowflake character. Distictive hairstyles? Not a human? Forget about it. Your ambitions to disguise is over. It just doesn't work this way. You """could""" knock a tail off and don't talk. But the minute someone calls you out, you're over. And that shade of green/grey/whatever coloured skin is going to stick out like a sore thumb.
Don't namefag/static name/snowflake name; goes for the above. If you're Cuban Pete then I'm 6 bullets into your head when the first bomb explodes.

Messing with evidence.
If you can steal the forensic scanner, that's one of two lost. If you get two, then someone has to go through the bureaucratic process of cargo getting them a new one.
Ignite papers, steal acohol and pour it on paper to ruin the ink, steal cameras (few detectives use these). Generally sabotage the investigation. Turn off the APC to lock the Detective's ID in his computer to piss him off.
Cause mayhem. Bring others to the crime scene. Contaminate the crime scene and have people touch everything.
Try all entrances and exits or enter and leave from the same door. Make sure there is little to cross reference.
Clean up after yourself.

Distractions and diversions.
Cause a riot.
Steal blood and spray blood.
Steal a PDA and send false messages.
Someone trying to mess with the brig is going to take the heat and attention from you.

Jobs and disguises;
Different jobs gain you access to different disguises. Blending in plain sight is key.
Different items cover your face. A balaclava is great for disguising your face and hair, but awful for walking around in public. A gas mask won't mask your Blonde Long Hair 1 either.
An assistant disguise will be overlooked unless it's clear you're not an assistant, but you sacrifice potential to carry something in a coat.
Different jobs will give you access to equipment that won't look as suspicious. Chefs get access to powerful knives, Janitors get access to evidence cleaning equipment, Cargo and Engineers get access to tools and gloves, medical doctors can easily pocket medbay supplies and a pack of drugged needles.
Black gloves will throw off an average detective but won't prevent a good detective from putting evidence together and linking other fibres.

Getting caught;
First of all. Stay calm. Freaking out when you get caught is a gamble (you may be broken out by rioters, you may be harmbattoned to death). Getting caught isn't the end of the world. Things get overlooked.
Avoid getting caught with blatently obvious items. If the heat is on, keep cold. Stash your stuff.
Provide a reasonable explanation to what you're doing.

Losing heat;
Getting heat isn't difficult; a Changeling clown that tries to mess with security finds himself gulagged 1000 pts over minor pranks. Losing heat is difficult and gaining heat is easy.
Kill someone/find a corpse and leave bloodied items (without prints or fibres) on them. If the detective finds a corpse matching his suspect, he'll probably overlook it and close his case.
Destroy evidence and make yourself blend in to a crowd. If you've got nothing bloody on you, and nothing unusual, it's going to be difficult to charge you.
Change your identity. Slap a mulligan, grow a moustache, change your hair and switch into a suit, jacket and agent ID, and you're too cool for school. Or plastic surgery or a UEUI change from genetics will make you a ghost.
Make yourself look harmless. Besides who is going to bother some random assistant lighting candles and building a toy/junk collection in a random room in maint when they do a sweep.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #203665

dont forget to kill the detective
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203669

PKPenguin321 wrote:dont forget to kill the detective
too much heat killing a security member.
cripple crapple his job. we'll see how easy it is to get security records up when the power is out.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #203670

not too much heat if nobody catches you
it's possible to have a clean kill you know

even better if you disguise as him, but your lack of an implant can give you away
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #203674

At the rates detectives walk alone in maint and die, genetic theft will probably be easy and the "i died" excuse would otherwise work.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #203859

Disguise tips: If you're just messing with the detective, mix and match your disguises. A leather overcoat, a warm jacket, two different-coloured jumpsuits, a gas mask, and the dreaded fake moustache will get you a lot further than a firesuit and gas mask. If you're actually doing traitorous shit you'll be unlikely to have the spare bag space, but I've combined this with a flash to get security into a frenzy about a "revolution" before. The trick is not to linger, not to leave prints, and to be Unknown until sec show up, at which point for god's sake put an ID on, even if it's your own. Sec and Unknowns meet only with electricity.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #203878

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Disguise tips: If you're just messing with the detective, mix and match your disguises. A leather overcoat, a warm jacket, two different-coloured jumpsuits, a gas mask, and the dreaded fake moustache will get you a lot further than a firesuit and gas mask. If you're actually doing traitorous shit you'll be unlikely to have the spare bag space, but I've combined this with a flash to get security into a frenzy about a "revolution" before. The trick is not to linger, not to leave prints, and to be Unknown until sec show up, at which point for god's sake put an ID on, even if it's your own. Sec and Unknowns meet only with electricity.
Hint: If it's lowpop, and you have genetics access, use it. Not many people keep track of roundstart suicides, who most often end up in the morgue, ripe for impersonation. You can use UI+UE injectors to quickly and temporarily change identity.

EDIT: Also, if you have another doctor on your side and you killed detective close to surgery, if you transplant your brain into him and defib back to normal you keep the implant.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have