Power Issues

General SS13 Chat
dragonspit999
Byond Username: Dragonspit999

Power Issues

Post by dragonspit999 » #204494

So, me and my friends use the /tg/station files to host our own little server, usually with 3-6 players, so normally we just use the admin powers to turn on the power. However, recently, I have found want to try Engineer. Obviously, I am Chief Engineer, and I am the only Engineer, so I have to do everything myself.

However, I've come across an issue. I can follow the wiki word for word and set up the singularity, or the solars, even both if I didn't die to a space carp, but no matter which I set up (haven't tried both yet, if you think that'll work, say something) the power in the station keeps dying. With so few people, I doubt people are going around cutting wires, so why does the station keep dying if I perfectly powered up the Singularity? (Our Admin refuses to restore the power if I'm playing the one role that has the job of keeping the power on, so I really need to know if I want to ever play Engineer)

I tried looking up videos, but they are all outdated, and as far as the wiki goes, it lists 3 SMES's, but there's 4. However, when watching the old videos, I seen where it has 3, so is the Wiki even so outdated that it is missing something vital?
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: Power Issues

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #204498

Youre going to have to give a bit more information.
Which map are you using?
Are the SMES units charging or not getting power at all?
Is the whole station losing power or just certain departments?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #204505

Did you configure the SMES power storage units? They look like white cylinders in engineering
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #204506

Most likely you're losing power due to mice.

Fucking mice like to chew on wires, often leads to power outages in medbay and science. Very rarely it will also fuck over arrivals and security.

If you think the SMES are fucking you over, try wiring it directly into the grid, find a place where the yellow wires meet the red wires in engineering and connect them.

Don't forget to fill the plasma collectors if you're running the singularity.
dragonspit999
Byond Username: Dragonspit999

Post by dragonspit999 » #204513

Using the basic map, the Box or Boxstation, whatever it's called. And the SMES's and the APC on the wall in that room are all charging. I set up the SMES's to input 200k and output 140k as per the wiki. I think it's just generally certain departments, so it might be the cause of mice. The wiki for the SMES's reads that there is 3, but there is 4. Should I just set up all 4 like I set up the 3, or am I setting them up wrong anyways?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #204514

If its only certain departments its definitely mice, or one of your players cutting wires.

Wiki is a bit outdated, you can set all 4 to 100k or 150k or whatever really. The singulo/tesla shits out so much energy you're not gonna drain it without the help of a traitor's power sink.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #204518

Set up all 4, although having 3 instead wouldn't really make much of a difference.
If its just certain departments its almost always mice, just wander around in maint and you'll usually find them pretty quick. Sometimes you'll have to follow the wire from the apc back along the path to engineering to find the break though, you can use t-ray scanner mode on your goggles to see the wires through the floors.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #204520

Mice chewing wires was a mistake
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #204538

Anonmare wrote:Mice chewing wires was a mistake
How about giving wires a frayed state which transfers half the power?

And giving players an option to run floor-mounted cables through their hands, which can act like a rope and sticks you to the path of the wire until you drop it. And then attempting to eat it just gives a pop-up saying "this is a bad idea", and will fray it/shock you as if a mouse did it.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #204655

Actually frayed wires giving a chance to shock people stepping over them could be even funnier, and give people a reason to report that shit to engineers. Insulated footware that prevents shocks from this could be funny (or even lead the way to shocking floor tiles)
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #204700

But at least it'll be plainly visible.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #204820

Just think of the salt ops if a janitor had the disk in the middle of a 5x5 square and constantly adding water to it.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #206630

debug tab -> sdql2 query

Code: Select all

delete /mob/living/simple_animal/mouse
Another fun one:

Code: Select all

update /obj/machinery/door set locked = 0;
call open() on /obj/machinery/door;
update /obj/machinery/door set locked = 1;
update /obj/machinery/atmospherics/components/unary/vent_pump set internal_pressure_bound = 5066, pressure_checks = 0;
call open() on /obj/machinery/atmospherics/components/binary/valve;
update /obj/machinery/atmospherics/components/binary/pump set on = 1, target_pressure = 5066
Bolts open every door, then turns on every atmos pump flooding the station with a deadly mix of co2/n2o/plasma

It's how i test the performance of atmos changes
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #206668

that first one can be accomplished with the del-all verb too
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: