Game Modes

General SS13 Chat
dragonspit999
Byond Username: Dragonspit999

Game Modes

Post by dragonspit999 » #204613

Hey, me again. So, again, I play with a very small group and we host our own server using the /tg/station files. I was wondering if there is a way to alter which game modes will show up when you select secret. Is there a file you can alter or such?

I am asking this because things like Changeling and Traitor are fun with only a few people, but Cults are not. (We are probably just going to ignore the 5-7 objective of Changelings. Is there a way to remove that objective and possibly make it add one additional one to replace it, as like a file change or something?) If we could remove the game modes like Shadowling, Nuclear Operative, and the Cults, we could play on Secret, and not know what mode it was on, but still have fun.

So, overall, can you change the list of modes it selects, can you alter the default objectives given to a Changeling (without Admin doing it in game, as our Admin plays with us, and that would ruin immersiveness) and would updating our files require us to realter whatever we'll have to alter to accomplish this?
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Game Modes

Post by Incoming » #204702

game_options.txt in the config folder, look for the lines labeled PROBABILITY and set the modes you don't want to 0. You don't have to change anything else to accomplish this, it will take effect at the start of the next round.

Changing default objectives is a bit harder. There's another setting in that file called TRAITOR_OBJECTIVES_AMOUNT that can change the number of objectives traitors get, but it isn't formally defined like that for changelings. If you aren't afraid of digging deep into the code proper you are looking for a line in changeling.dm that looks like this:

/datum/game_mode/proc/forge_changeling_objectives

Everything in that block of code controls what changelings get as objectives, so you can remove the things that you don't enjoy. If you do this you will have to recompile the dmb at the end. If you ARE afraid of editing that code and your community is small and knows each other, it might be better to just tell people to ignore the offending objective as a rule.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
dragonspit999
Byond Username: Dragonspit999

Re: Game Modes

Post by dragonspit999 » #204735

Thank you. I will relay this information to the one in our group that actually hosts regularly, and will come back with feedback if I have more questions.