Remove extended from rotation

General SS13 Chat
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Remove extended from rotation

Post by CPTANT » #224546

It just doesn't work as a concept. It promises crew freedom or something but 90% of the time it's just boring 2 hours shifts in which nothing happens.

Which is one of the problems, even though extended is a small proportion of ROUNDS it is actually a rather significant amount of round TIME.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Remove extended from rotation

Post by DemonFiren » #224549

This thread again.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #224553

No.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224554

Okand37 wrote:No.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224569

yes
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #224574

Wyzack wrote:
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #224576

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
Wyzack wrote:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #224577

Realistically, there's a varying amount of players on /tg/station, especially basil (which is what I'm imagining your referencing) that enjoy their different kind of playstyles and fun. While you may not agree extended is fun, other people might. Different people enjoy different things, and we try to cater to that vast style so everyone can have fun.
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #224582

Extended is a nice break from all the action shit that happens in rounds like wizard, nuke ops, etc.. Maybe you should be investing your time in doing something in extended in the meantime, like actually doing the station goal, or an atmos 'tism project.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224590

Okand37 wrote:Realistically, there's a varying amount of players on /tg/station, especially basil (which is what I'm imagining your referencing) that enjoy their different kind of playstyles and fun. While you may not agree extended is fun, other people might. Different people enjoy different things, and we try to cater to that vast style so everyone can have fun.
Is that why gang was removed?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224592

Kraso wrote:Extended is a nice break from all the action shit that happens in rounds like wizard, nuke ops, etc.. Maybe you should be investing your time in doing something in extended in the meantime, like actually doing the station goal, or an atmos 'tism project.
There are plenty of quiet rounds where traitors or other antag's die/ do nothing we do not need an entire gamemode for that.
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #224594

CPTANT wrote:
Kraso wrote:Extended is a nice break from all the action shit that happens in rounds like wizard, nuke ops, etc.. Maybe you should be investing your time in doing something in extended in the meantime, like actually doing the station goal, or an atmos 'tism project.
There are plenty of quiet rounds where traitors or other antag's die/ do nothing we do not need an entire gamemode for that.
Most gamemodes have a Mulligan system so it doesn't get stale if all the antags fucked up though.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #224601

and even quiet rounds can go to shit with meteors or god forbid xenoooos
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224614

YEAH OKAND WHY DID YOU PERSONALLY REMOVE GANG TO SPITE US ALL YOU MEANIE
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #224618

Wyzack wrote:YEAH OKAND WHY DID YOU PERSONALLY REMOVE GANG TO SPITE US ALL YOU MEANIE
Honestly I didn't edit the round chances, though I've been meaning too. Admittedly I wouldn't mind it in if it was around 1% like meteor and monkey were.
Isane
Byond Username: Isane

Post by Isane » #224647

Extended is needed in order to weed out bad players, because rarely will an extended round end without people going "It was extended?!"
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #224651

Extended has it's place in the rotation, and it's weighting in comparison to other types isn't even terribly lopsided. ss13 is a game of paranoia, and the number of times people are convinced the clown is an enemy of the corporation because he broke into the captain's office to draw dicks in the bathroom will always make it worth it.
ImageImageImage
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #224653

B-but muh, muh valids.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #224670

MimicFaux wrote:Extended has it's place in the rotation, and it's weighting in comparison to other types isn't even terribly lopsided. ss13 is a game of paranoia, and the number of times people are convinced the clown is an enemy of the corporation because he broke into the captain's office to draw dicks in the bathroom will always make it worth it.
It's weight is deceiving since extended rounds frequently last 2 hours.

You can convict the clown of being an enemy of the corperation in any other gamemode just fine, we don't need 2 hours of nothing for that.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Owegno

Post by Owegno » #224678

Extended is about making your own fun, allowing you to do creative things you don't have the time to do in normal rounds. Build an autism project, chat with your co-workers for once, hijack the whiteship and create your own pirate ship and start converting crew, cause a full blown revolution because the captain tried to take away your super virus that makes people hulks, create your own assistant tribe in maint, secede from the station as mining, or anything else you can come up with.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #224684

SPOON FEED ME FUCKING VALID KILLS REEEEEEEE
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #224746

don't remove extended from the rotation so i can keep spawning antags into it :^)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #224824

Extended is good because it reveals the shitters, oh and it allows admins to push buttons
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #224880

Slettal wrote:Extended is good because it reveals the shitters, oh and it allows admins to push buttons
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #224925

Cuboos wrote:
Slettal wrote:Extended is good because it reveals the shitters, oh and it allows admins to push buttons
This. Extended offers the freedom to run major gimmicks/events without worrying about messing up existing antags too much.
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #224971

No. I quite like extended, given it's tendency to bring out the shit in everyone.
Nothing is more great then finding out at the end of the shift that it was extended, and questioning why you had over a dozen or so shitters to deal with.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #225018

Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #225023

Arianya wrote:
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #225026

For me, extended has always been a nice break from the long periods of action and violence, letting me get comfy and roleplay in a much more relaxed setting. While it's of course possible (and enjoyable!) to roleplay during other gamemodes, some situations have a tendency to spiral out of control - fast. However, it is unfortunate that extended has become a way to weed out poor behavior, and the after-round comments of "It was extended?" are sometimes upsetting in a mode when people are supposed to just get along and enjoy themselves.

Extended, at least on Basil, has always been enjoyed and should definitely stay in the rotation.

Edit: After watching an extended round where I saw Security try to feed random people holywater and an AI flood the dorms with plasma for a "fire drill," I'm recanting my earlier statement of it being relaxed. Let's go with uh... less murderboney?
Last edited by Duncdar on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
~lighter than Aire~
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #225028

MemoriesPast wrote:For me, extended has always been a nice break from the long periods of action and violence, letting me get comfy and roleplay in a much more relaxed setting.
are you sure you play this game because extended is historically the grief mode where the crew gets too restless about the lack of conflict and implodes
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #225029

if admins want to run gimmicks they can just force extended in secret

no need for it to be in the rotation
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #225044

PKPenguin321 wrote:
MemoriesPast wrote:For me, extended has always been a nice break from the long periods of action and violence, letting me get comfy and roleplay in a much more relaxed setting.
are you sure you play this game because extended is historically the grief mode where the crew gets too restless about the lack of conflict and implodes
On Basil, I've only seen this as a significant trend within the past year. It is an unfortunate one, but for the majority of my time here extended has truly been an enjoyable experience. However, with these changes in attitudes and playstyles, it certainly has been evident that some people will create their own conflict if none exists. My statement becomes a bit more clear when you view extended in the context that it specifically contrasts with the most frequent modes we have on Basil, namely traitor/ling, double agents, and nuke ops. Anyway, I would be sad to see extended taken out of the rotation, but it doesn't seem like it'll come to that!
Last edited by Duncdar on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~lighter than Aire~
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #225071

calzilla1 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #225073

it certainly has been evident that some people will create their own conflict if none exists.
Of course they will. The game is primarily conflict based.

It's bizarre and confusing that people are called shitters if they're bored when once every 50 rounds or so the game just says "nah lol nevermind there isn't gameplay this time and this will last for two hours"
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #225083

These threads are made by the same people who think "Emergency Shuttle" means "I'm Bored Shuttle"
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #225089

MrAlphonzo wrote:These threads are made by the same people who think "Emergency Shuttle" means "I'm Bored Shuttle"
Hard to blame them. Why should they all sit bored whilst you jerk off in your R&D fort for two hours? Just because they have fun in a different way from you doesn't mean they're in the wrong to try to get more fun by rerolling the round.
Spoiler:
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #225092

PKPenguin321 wrote:
MrAlphonzo wrote:These threads are made by the same people who think "Emergency Shuttle" means "I'm Bored Shuttle"
Hard to blame them. Why should they all sit bored whilst you jerk off in your R&D fort for two hours? Just because they have fun in a different way from you doesn't mean they're in the wrong to try to get more fun by rerolling the round.
There's more than one way to have fun during longer rounds instead of rolling sci. Chemists can make absurd shit, so can botanists, chefs, and bartenders. Atmos techs can mess with fire, engineers can build forts. Miners always have something to do, along with the clown and mime. The Librarian can actually try to write a book, the Chaplain can pray late-game and probably have something really stupid happen. Security can enjoy sorting the loot from all the different departments, and there is always some half-dead assistant walking into Medbay. Oh, and you can trying RPing for fucking once. But no, the only way to have fun is V-V-V-VALIIIDDDDSSSSSSS. Besides, wait long enough, and the round will eventually mulligan into something else, if an admin doesn't press a button.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #225104

MrAlphonzo wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
There's more than one way to have fun during longer rounds instead of rolling sci. Chemists can make absurd shit, so can botanists, chefs, and bartenders. Atmos techs can mess with fire, engineers can build forts. Miners always have something to do, along with the clown and mime. The Librarian can actually try to write a book, the Chaplain can pray late-game and probably have something really stupid happen. Security can enjoy sorting the loot from all the different departments, and there is always some half-dead assistant walking into Medbay. Oh, and you can trying RPing for fucking once. But no, the only way to have fun is V-V-V-VALIIIDDDDSSSSSSS. Besides, wait long enough, and the round will eventually mulligan into something else, if an admin doesn't press a button.
>Oh, and you can trying RPing for fucking once.
Tell that to the 40-odd other ingame people who came to this server instead of Bay because they wanted to play a game with fast-paced conflict. And no, extended does not mulligan.

Chemists, chefs, botanists, and bartenders can accomplish their jobs in a regular round just as they can in extended.
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #225111

it also takes all jobs maybe 10 to 20 minutes tops to finish everything and be done

stop trying to force the game to run longer than it's supposed to

this is like going to TTT and deciding "hey we're removing traitors for the round and making the round run for 2 hours"
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #225120

A 2 hour round is no reason to remove it, there have also been 2 hour traitor/ling rounds. Since when is tg a deathmatch server where there is no gameplay without valids? I always thought this was a light rp server.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #225121

Slettal wrote:A 2 hour round is no reason to remove it, there have also been 2 hour traitor/ling rounds. Since when is tg a deathmatch server where there is no gameplay without valids? I always thought this was a light rp server.
It was actually a medium RP server between Goon and Bay when I joined. I honestly have no idea when and why we changed our branding.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #225123

Slettal wrote:A 2 hour round is no reason to remove it, there have also been 2 hour traitor/ling rounds. Since when is tg a deathmatch server where there is no gameplay without valids? I always thought this was a light rp server.
Violence and roleplay are not mutually exclusive.

I've used this metaphor a dozen times, but you wouldn't play a game of DnD where you sat in an empty tavern the whole game. You're not a bad player or even a bad roleplayer for wanting prompts to your story. You aren't a bad person for making your own drama and conflict instead of playing bad minigames for 2 hours.

If you just want to sit and chat and do freeform text RP there are better mediums for it.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #225124

I enjoy slow quiet rounds sometimes (especially as miner, because there is usually a nice mix of social interaction, combat and exploration to occupy me) but signing up as security and having nobody to arrest, or signing up as medical with nobody to heal, or signing up as engineer with nothing to fix is often pretty dissapointing.

I can accept people enjoy SS13 in different ways, but the disdain dripping from the "oh but I thought we were an rp server" posts and the implication that people who enjoy the game mechanics are braindead CoD kids irritates me to end.
Owegno
In-Game Game Master

Post by Owegno » #225127

Kor wrote:I can accept people enjoy SS13 in different ways, but the disdain dripping from the "oh but I thought we were an rp server" posts and the implication that people who enjoy the game mechanics are braindead CoD kids irritates me to end.
Like any argument on the internet sadly it will quickly evolve to both sides being on the extreme end of each spectrum, "Fuck RP go to bay if you want to RP" vs, "Fucking powergaming shitlords go play CoD".

Unsure if any of what you said was aimed at me but personally I quite like both game mechanics and RP, and I have had a lot of fun with both on extended rounds and "normal" rounds. While going on a 2 hour long date with someone is fun spending 5-10 minutes interrogating a traitor to find a corpse is also really fun. Same goes for an action packed round fighting nuke ops and an extended round where you spend 3 hours converting the dorms, the locker room and fitness into a giant winter lodge/hotel, and all of those things I have done multiple times.
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #225153

Owegno wrote:
Kor wrote:I can accept people enjoy SS13 in different ways, but the disdain dripping from the "oh but I thought we were an rp server" posts and the implication that people who enjoy the game mechanics are braindead CoD kids irritates me to end.
Like any argument on the internet sadly it will quickly evolve to both sides being on the extreme end of each spectrum, "Fuck RP go to bay if you want to RP" vs, "Fucking powergaming shitlords go play CoD".

Unsure if any of what you said was aimed at me but personally I quite like both game mechanics and RP, and I have had a lot of fun with both on extended rounds and "normal" rounds. While going on a 2 hour long date with someone is fun spending 5-10 minutes interrogating a traitor to find a corpse is also really fun. Same goes for an action packed round fighting nuke ops and an extended round where you spend 3 hours converting the dorms, the locker room and fitness into a giant winter lodge/hotel, and all of those things I have done multiple times.
This. The worst part is spending 2 hours or more doing something big for the station alone some asshole can ruin it in 20 seconds because he thinks he's a real "funny & epic" guy.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #225160

I think that the issue is that in most gamemodes any project that takes more than 5-10 minutes will be disrupted:
-in team antag modes most of the station is either antag or antag-hunting and you'll get involved either way, unless you are very well hidden.
-in traitor there's no limit on mass destruction, and it only takes one traitor to decide to loose engine/blow up everything/murderbone and everything goes to shit. This, by the way, often prevents interesting traitor gimmicks.
-blob, wizard, and ops have a hard round-end condition triggered by the death of the antag, which means that whether the antag wins or not, any long term project will be interrupted.
The only times i see them happen naturally are when disruptive traitors get caught early in the round, and nothing causes enough irreversible damage to call the shuttle(aka extended, basically). Which also mean no conflict whatsoever, many jobs become pointless, et cetera.

The ideal solution, from my point of view, would be to encourage stealth in traitor modes; actual stealth, not i-can-ebow-and-esword-anyone-that-tries-to-stop-me "stealth", either through policy or through less direct combat oriented objectives. Not total removal, mind you, but having the whole sec department blow up/engine go loose would be far more interesting if it didn't happen regularly.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #225168

>constant comms
>people can see behind them
>the AI is watching from the sky as well
>the server has twice the people on the maps than they were designed for so every room has people sprinting in and out
>security is never traitor
>security has huds to help see through disguises
>traitors have gear that are hard tells for them being the badguy

It's usually easier to kill everyone rather than one person quietly, and I doubt people want much of if any of the above changed.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #225175

Kor wrote:>constant comms
>the server has twice the people on the maps than they were designed for so every room has people sprinting in and out

It's usually easier to kill everyone rather than one person quietly, and I doubt people want much of if any of the above changed.
Being killed in person by a traitor on highpop is actually surprisingly rare, the vast majority it's something like the AI, plasma, bombs or sing that kills you.
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #225177

iamgoofball wrote:it also takes all jobs maybe 10 to 20 minutes tops to finish everything and be done"
Nigga what
Kor wrote:>constant comms

Thats just being lazy. :^)
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #225182

Kor wrote: It's bizarre and confusing that people are called shitters if they're bored when once every 50 rounds or so the game just says "nah lol nevermind there isn't gameplay this time and this will last for two hours"
But this, and most of the other comments for removing it, are based on the flawed concept that the game cannot move forward with out antags being actively choosen.

In all honesty traitors are given a free reign, apposed to HAVING to complete exactly your objectives and no more, BECAUSE the game is free flowing. Not having antags doesn't remove all the intresting game mechinics, tiny detail, room for experimentation and interesting human interactions.

For me its under the same guise that round start suicide because traitor not get. This game is too loose, too graphically shitty, to warrent the game play iteself being the driving force. Its never been that and if you try to make it that it'll be a very different game you make.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box