wew lads system shock remake (System Shock 3 also announced)

Talk about video games here
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

wew lads system shock remake (System Shock 3 also announced)

Post by Deitus » #133243

so apparently the rights to the franchise have been acquired by some company and they're working with one of the original concept artists for a remake (and possible a system shock 3). i personally have not played either but i know how much people swear by it, so i figure it'd be something cool to discuss.

article with moah details:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11 ... ck-remake/
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: wew lads system shock remake

Post by Ricotez » #133245

CEO Stephen Kick explained that his company have “acquired the full rights to the franchise” and have been working with the game’s original concept artist as they develop a full remake of the game.
Talks about a possible System Shock 3 have also begun
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133321

Nice animeme

Also cool
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #133390

Might be cool, but these guys have never really made a game before, as far as I can tell. Most, if not all of their work, has just been patching older games to work on modern systems.

Cool nontheless to see System Shock out of legal limbo. SS2 is one of my all-time favourite games, next to Deus Ex and Undertale
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #133461

Amateur dev gains rights to beloved franchise.

This is gon' be good either way. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised or watch the internet shit itself.

If you want to replay System Shock you can, anyway. It holds up surprisingly well.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #133463

I just finished playing System Shock 1, for the first time, and replaying System Shock 2 on the highest difficulty.

Good games all and all. I'll be interested to see if this pans out but I don't have high hopes, so that leaves me room to be pleasantly surprised.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #133768

After consideration, I'm officially declaring a state of Cautiously Optimistic. System Shock 2 was one of my favorite games, ever, and I firmly believe everyone who considers themselves a fan of video games play it.

On the other hand, this is an unproven developer, and System Shock had a strong spiritual successor in the Bioshock franchise (Debates about the quality of the certain franchise installments aside).

It could be very good, but I stand fully prepared to launch into Neckbeard Blood Rage of Sulking And Complaining On The Internet if it isn't.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #133834

[youtube]IyDRoW-3JhA[/youtube]
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Look at you, hacker

Post by EndgamerAzari » #139112

Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #139122

Never heard of these guys, but they look to be recently founded by this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Neurath

Founder/Director of Looking Glass Studios and Zynga Boston (After his last company was absorbed by Zynga)

He ran the company that made the original two System Shocks, so that gets me kind of hopeful.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: wew lads system shock remake (System Shock 3 also announ

Post by Anonmare » #139215

This can go either really well or really bad and either way it's going to be fun to watch.

I mean, SS2 was one of my favourite games (SS1 was honestly too clunky and frustrating to get into) and I want them to keep as much of it intact, warts and all.
As for SS3, I hope it'll retain System Shock-style mechanics and not do what Bioshock did. I wonder if there's any decent SHODAN impersonators out there - Because I'm fairly certain the original voice actress is either dead or can't do the voice anymore.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #139246

She's still around writing & voicing for video games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Brosius

The voice was heavily modulated, so I guess it's more about finding out the process they went about doing it. IIRC Her husband was the audio guy for System Shock so I don't think it would be that hard (???)
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #139251

Freedom
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #139352

Ikarrus wrote:She's still around writing & voicing for video games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Brosius

The voice was heavily modulated, so I guess it's more about finding out the process they went about doing it. IIRC Her husband was the audio guy for System Shock so I don't think it would be that hard (???)
Huh, she's also listed as a writing and voice credit for Dishonored. Who'd she voice, I wonder?

Edit: Ah, she was the voice of the clockwork heart. That makes sense.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #139380

Anonmare wrote:SS1 was honestly too clunky and frustrating to get into
Yeah, I had that issue. The interface was a bit of a pig - wasn't the engine from one of the Ultima games?

Either way, FPS with a mouse pointer to click on buttons instead of mouselook = yuk
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #139408

I found SS1 to be easy to get into, just hit TAB to get rid of the obtuse UI and you screen is utterly unblocked.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #139415

I think they improved the UI in the enhanced edition, because I had zero issues with it when I played a few weeks ago. It wasn't all that different than how SS2 controlled.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #139416

I think the main improvement, from what I read, to the UI is that you have mouse look now. So instead of having to rotate your camera with your keyboard you can just use the mouse, which SIGNIFICANTLY makes the game easier to get into.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #139422

Steelpoint wrote:I think the main improvement, from what I read, to the UI is that you have mouse look now. So instead of having to rotate your camera with your keyboard you can just use the mouse, which SIGNIFICANTLY makes the game easier to get into.
that's basically the thing that fucked me up so that's neat. Having to look around with the keyboard just gave me flashbacks to the flood of terrible doom-clones that came out on the Amiga at a time when PCs had far surpassed what an Amiga was capable of. (at least the ones anyone actually owned at home rather than using in studios to run videotoaster)

Okay, Alien Breed 3D was alright for the time
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #139424

the keyboard controls felt like you were driving a car through citadel station instead of a hacker

I still don't understand why the game needed 2 levels of leaning to the side but it was obvious that the game was breaking new ground, before WASD became the standard
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #140279

wew lads

http://www.othersidetease.com/sss.php

press that play button, you won't regret it
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140281

Ah, right, it's the voice designed to fill your pants with everything that your body can fill your pants with.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #140300

Ricotez wrote:wew lads

http://www.othersidetease.com/sss.php

press that play button, you won't regret it
Well I guess we have our answer then.

It sounds exactly like she always had. Except in better quality audio.

Wew lads I'm trying really hard not to get overhyped. Please tell me how shit it's going to be.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #140369

Ikarrus wrote:It sounds exactly like she always had. Except in better quality audio.
yeah I was absolutely amazed by that, had to convince myself that it's not an audio file ripped from System Shock 2 but the only way you can tell is the higher audio quality

I mean it makes sense since the original sound engineer is also on board (he's married to Teri), but still it's amazing how accurate he managed to get it after all these years
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #140374

I'm hyped for the disappointment.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #140446

I remain resolute in my non-hype. As constant as the North Star.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #154831

They got Warren Spector working on it now

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... ertainment
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #154843

Hmmmm

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #154846

what if it's worse than bioshock infinite
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #154850

But what if it's also an alright modern adaptation of a classic game like Human Revolution was.

That's all I pretty much hope for. They're don't seem like they're going to go full AAA so they won't have the same financial pressure to make things as universally appealing as possible.

But who knows this is more or less an unknown company, even if it does have some of the original developers.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #154867

well as long as they don't start asking for that crowdfunding dosh i suppose it's alright if people remain optimistic

the second they ask for dat dicksharter bills y'all best jump ship
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #154885

im fine with crowdfunding as long as im not in the crowd
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #154912

Please refer to the chart

Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #161859

Remake footage

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #161868

Ikarrus wrote:Remake footage

rather interesting to see that old ancient geometry combined with state of the art graphics
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #161869

Ricotez wrote:state of the art graphics
I don't like how plastic everything looks.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #161872

Ikarrus wrote:
Ricotez wrote:state of the art graphics
I don't like how plastic everything looks.
exactly
Spoiler:
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #161879

I mean they're working in unity, which supports proper metal shaders, and yet all the material surfaces still look like plastic.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #161883

Oh give it time. It's pre-alpha.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #161947

Ikarrus wrote:She's still around writing & voicing for video games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Brosius

Huh, I thought I recognised the AI's voice on Interstellar Marines.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161954

It looks pretty good, I'll be interested to see if they make changes to how weapons functioned and late game weapon balance, as well as the final ""boss"" fight.

Suffice it to say but once you got access to the 'Skorpion' you are essentially unstoppable and can kill even the highest tier of enemy's quickly and efficiently. Also the final boss fight was pretty anti-climatic in my opinion and was more based on luck.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #161958

it is in the first place a remaster, but they are working together with some of the original devs so maybe they'll figure out a way to improve it without changing too much about it

the shock games have a bit of a history of falling apart near the end though so I guess it's like tradition
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161959

Pretty true, end game of System Shock 2 was a cake walk. You get a Assault Rifle that essentially one or two shots even the most powerful enemies in the game.

Hell, the gun was powerful enough that during the boss fight you didn't even need to muck around with her fancy defensive tricks, you could just unload directly into her shielding and blast her to death.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #161960

that is IF you put enough points in standard weapons so you could even wield the damn rifle

if you were an idiot like me and put them all in energy or exotic weapons, you are essentially screwed in the end-game

Spoiler:
The only shock game I think got its end-game just right is Bioshock 2. The whole game builds up to you freeing your daughter from the clutches of Sophia, and then when you finally free her, she totally kicks ass alongside you in the final level. It also gave more weight to the moral choices you had to make along the way because they affect how Eleanor behaves in that part of the game.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #161965

That was the critical flaw with System Shock 2.

As Yahtzee put it, by the mid game you get to spin a wheel to determine if you made the 'correct' skill point choices. Made worse that you may end up putting all your points into one area to fight a certain set of enemies, only to discover they all but disappear in the later stages of the game and now your screwed.

The correct choice being Standard, and to a extent Heavy, weapons. Energy and Exotic weapon's don't really pan out, you can beat the game with them but its SIGNIFICANTLY harder to do so.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #161969

laser guns are very useful early in the game because you can endlessly recharge them at recharge points and ammo for other guns is scarce

and then the end-game is filled with monsters that laser guns are barely effective against

energy weapons also lets you wield the laser rapier and the EMP rifle, the first one is a stronger melee weapon (the exotic melee weapon is even better but you don't get it until the ops deck) and the second one only works on machines (granted, it's VERY effective on them)

supposedly the PSI tree is also kinda useless, which is a bit of a shame because looking at it, it has a lot of neat powers in it
Spoiler:
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #161984

mite b gud
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #162360

I don't remember System Shock 1 very well, I know it wasn't as great as it's sequel but I hope the re-make preserves the atmosphere.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #162364

SS1 was fun in a different kind of way than SS2 was.

Not to mention how eerily it resembles a SS13 Malfunction round, shit graphics included.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #162365

I hope they keep in the 8 degrees of lean and that difficulty mode where you had a time limit.