Banished

Talk about video games here
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Banished

Post by Zilenan91 » #169067

Picked this up a while ago, it's a quiet little city builder in medieval times. It has mods now apparently and I wanted to jump back into it to see how it's changed.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Re: Banished

Post by XSI » #169112

It's pretty decent, but still lacks stuff to do

Worth getting if you have a thing for village building stuff
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #169775

Every time I do this my village does really well for a few years and then my entire village gets alzheimer's and just forgets everything but breathing and fine dining until they all starve to death because everyone just stands in place.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #170022

There's a tactic called forest blocks, where you put a Gatherer's Hut, a Hunter's Hut, and a Forester's Lodge near eachother in the middle of the forest (but not too far away) on a path where they get full forest coverage and produce ridiculous amounts of food and other good shit. The Gatherer's Hut in particular is awesome because it produces four kinds of food that have more than just food uses so your health goes way up because you have huge food variety. Past that you can catch fish and past even that once your pop is big enough you want to look at Farming as another source of food, with pastures > crops > orchards being from highest to lowest output of food, with pastures taking much longer to get started but much better once you have them done. Fuck chickens they suck, sheep and cows are the only ones that are good, but chickens give good food variety. You get farm animals through the trading post. You also NEED to build Markets with coverage over all of your houses because otherwise your dudes hoard food and other shit and they don't distribute it out, with markets doing the distributing.

Health is all about having one or two Herbalists, a hospital when diseases start, and good food variety. It's easy to keep up there, only relying on your citizens to get the shit that increases it.

Happiness is even easier, all you need to do is make a decently big graveyard (doesn't even have to be close, corpses get warped there when they die), and later on make a Cathedral and you'll be maxed on it.

As for not letting your population die you gotta build 2 or 3 new houses every year so that you have a constant influx of new people being born to keep working like the happy little ignorant communists they are.

In the real late-game, after you've gotten farming set up you're gonna need to have a big focus on labor. At some point you can either do two things, produce retarded amounts of food, or produce retarded amounts of other goods. Producing other goods is typically far more efficient because all you need to do is plop down some Quarries (preferably with an infinite quarry mod) and let those 15 slots sit there as a free labor pool whenever you need it, working away at mining incredibly valuable stone.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #170338

Are there any mods that add actual content to the game or are they still only cheat mods?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #170524

There's a bunch of them, one called Colonial Charter that's Banished but in colonial America, and there's also a Medieval mod but I think it's been abandoned.

Oh also some of the cheat mods are great, they really speed up the game and make it not shitty. I can't play without extra stone per rock/iron per rock anymore, the game is just too slow.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: