Universal Combat CE

Talk about video games here
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Universal Combat CE

Post by Balut » #67225

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34558 ... 1_4_4__123

I swear I remember downloading this ages ago and being really fucking pissed off at how I couldn't figure out how to do fucking anything ever. I am told that once you stop being a retard and know how to play it, it's a pretty neat space simulator?

Anyway shit's free on steam now and I guess caters to the SS13 crowd's presumed spacefetish, so that's cool.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Universal Combat CE

Post by DemonFiren » #67233

Acquiring.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67239

I though this thread was about a universal combat chief engineer, I am disappointed
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67240

That's called "normal CE", Rico.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #67260

So apparently this game is really cumbersome or complex or something? I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet, but the reviews seem to really hate the shit out of it.

Edit: Not very promising so far. I had to manually edit the config file to get up to my native 1920x1080 res and even now the menus don't actually respond properly when clicked on at the menus. I haven't even made it to the supposedly deep and complex gameplay because the "new save game" screen beeps and then produces a new menu that isn't actually visible. I mean man, how do you program something that doesn't even update its own menus?
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #67270

Ill try it out once I wake up after beddy byew time
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #67281

Wasn't this that "big" game touted by Derek Smart a long time ago?

Well no wonder its cumbersome.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #67287

that was Battlecruiser 3000AD
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67292

nsos wrote:that was Battlecruiser 3000AD
This is the same game with a few tweaks, a better paint job, and an ugly looking green ui with ugly green character portraits with voice overs that have been run through with a distortion filter to make the game seem darker and edgier.
BC-M:G was the best iteration of this game.

Anyway, it can be a fun game once you get into, but for the love of god RTFM.
This borders DCS/Falcon on the level of complexity and key bindings so RTFM if you don't want to suck.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #67322

Oh God this.

I tried playing BC 3000AD ages ago. It was like...completely unworkable.
When they said they fixed it and remastered it I got this and tried it again. I found it only slightly more tolerable and still a nearly unworkable clusterfuck.

If you want to play a game similar in scope to this that ACTUALLY WORKS get Star Trek Bridge Commander.

The Derek Smart story is kind of inspiring in that it shows even if you have no sense as a game designer you can just fucking roll on and release a fucking ton of shitty sci-fi games that are all garbage and somehow make it anyway. Seeing Derek Smart release all this crap and somehow still have a company makes me want to try being a game developer.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67379

Starshattered is another good space cap ship game, really underrated and fell under the radar which is a shame
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #67413

Maaan. I just wanna nice space sim with boarding actions. This shit is too complicated.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #67421

Yep, can't make it past the main menus. Shits broke yo.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67425

I got it for free, now it's time to take this shit apart.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67595

Okay, after some initial testing (and much cursing due to alt-tab crashing the game, and there is no way I am printing those manuals) I have come to the conclusion that this makes Dwarf Fortress look easy.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #67599

never have i see so many negative reviews on something written so hatefully
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #67650

God dam this is one complicated game, I know if I master the controls i'll be spending mad time playing it but there's no tutorial or nothing.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #67656

There is, actually. Manuals are in the docs folder of the game directory.
And there is a tutorial mission.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67690

If I wanted a complicated space game I would just play Aurora instead of cutting myself on polygons.