Elite: Dangerous

Talk about video games here
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by ColonicAcid » #59438

Bottom post of the previous page:

im not even american but that made me cry in patriotism.
god save the king of america
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59444

https://store.elitedangerous.com/game-e ... ag-uk.html - much better

Edit:
I want the Morocco flag so I can fly around looking like a devil worshiper
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #59448

>Amurrican flag not on a fucking EAGLE

It's like you're shitting on Washington's dreams directly.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #59458

Go back to fucking a 'roo and leave American history to the Americans.

An American flag on a Viper is perfectly apropo.

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #59464

yeah geez guys everyone knows viper the rapper is a fucking american national treasure
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #59585

MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

I put a brace of these fuckers on my Viper and they're working out great. These are the class 2 medium multicannons. No more fuckers running from me when they get down to 40% hull. All dead, no hope.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #59600

An0n3 wrote:MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

I put a brace of these fuckers on my Viper and they're working out great. These are the class 2 medium multicannons. No more fuckers running from me when they get down to 40% hull. All dead, no hope.
Hell yeah motherfucker now you're playing with power. Have 2 on my Cobra and and tears up everything and anything in range. Can't wait till I get a larger ship to see what the even larger multicannons will do.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #59845

Pilot name is "Mr Pain".

I'm mostly on in the evenings.

Right now I'm just poorfag plebbing it up doing shitty contract missions and hoping to do cargo runs soon.
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #59863

Space Trucking is where the real money is. Running them trade circuits for maximum dosh.

You can hug a nav point for hours in hopes that a big guilty fish will drop in for you to explode but if you want to make fat stacks you better get hauling bro.

EDIT:
Damn son trading Palladium for Progenitor Cells and making 120k a circuit.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #60106

You're in Alliance space, anon?
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60107

Yep. Up near the capital, Alioth.

My cash money route is taking on Palladium at Scott Orbital in the 21 Draco system, then hauling it over to Brunner Horizons in Ao Qin. Swap it for Progenitor Cells, and haul 'em back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's expensive to start, but as you run it back and forth you build up the cash to start doing it with a full hold of the goods and then the money pours in. I've got my Cobra MK III setup for 60 cargo and these goods net you roughly 1k a piece on the sale. That's 120k profit for each round trip for me.

Really what anybody should keep an eye out for is any station selling the good refined metals or minerals. Stations often have more than just what they list as exports for sale, and likewise a station might actually pay a decent price for something even if its not listed as an import. The trade data the game gives you is kinda shitty and inaccurate. It works if you want to shlep tea and random industrial parts around, but falls the fuck apart when it comes to the high priced commodities. Gotta do the legwork yourself or...

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Cheat and use this guy!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60359

For the first time I won a battle against an Anaconda today. Was using my Cobra MKIII.

Use lateral thrust plus reverse and yaw to basically circle strafe and you can whittle them down. Good times. Takes fucking forever though.

Tempted to swap my C2 Multicannons out for C2 Gimbaled Beam Lasers for dat penetration. Beam lasers are like goddamn drills when it comes to hitting internals.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #60361

When I upgraded my friends computer he said he would buy me this, he lied.

Fuck, I want muh space sim.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60376

Strike Vector still has more of a "Cowboy Bebop: The Game" feel to it for me, but this is pretty damned good.

You can do all the fun stuff you would expect of the physics. You have to work a bit for it but you can do some neat stuff. Having the full HOTAS setup with pedals makes this fucking ridiculous. Thumbstick on my throttle to the left to push me laterally, right pedal depressed to yaw right for the circle strafe, feathering the right toe-brake to keep myself backing off while pitching and rolling to keep all my guns on target.

It's like I'm a real spessmens now.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60572

I picked a really original name: Malkevin

Anus, I've set up my ProFlight's toe pedal for back and reverse thrust, but theres two problems:
1. The input is binary, i.e. either full on or full off
2. When I lift my reverse pedal (left pedal) whilst my stick throttle is at dead zero the throttle in-game zips up to max.

Are you getting the same problems or is your config different to mine?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60574

Yeah it's because the "reverse thrust" input in the game is binary. Once the pedal goes over roughly half input or so the game throws it into full reverse.

My setup is:
Rudder z axis = yaw
Left toe-brake x axis = forward thrust
Right toe-brake y axis = reverse thrust

The pedals are only used when I'm in the opposite thrust and need to quickly back up or move in. When I'm circling an opponent and they start to disengage for example I'll just step on the left toe-brake to close and shoot at them some more. If they keep trying to disengage I'll flip the switch on my throttle to put it back into forward thrust and give chase.

Likewise the right toe-brake is used when I overshoot a landing pad and just need to inch backwards, or when I want to surprise the shit out of someone during a turn fight by turning off flight assist and opening up some space to put them in my shoot window.

I fucking hate the "full range" throttle or whatever it's called. Where the bottom of the throttle is full reverse and the top of the throttle is full forward. Fuck that. I have it set for forward only and a switch on it set to toggle whether it's forward or reverse thrust.

Pro-tip: That fucking K Scanner makes a world of difference in terms of bounty hunting profit. If a target has a bounty from another system it wont show up when they're in your system, even if it's issued by the same government. When you lock up someone who is wanted give 'em a scan and you'll often double or triple the reward you would've otherwise gotten as the system compiles all their other bounties from other systems. I'm bounty hunting in Alliance space and in just an hour I racked up roughly 100k of bounties FROM OTHER GOVERNMENTS on top of the heap o' cash I made and turned in locally. Next time I'm out roaming I've got some money to pick up.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60576

Awesome, I'll be sure to get one when I powergame up my Space-Sec ship
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60587

Is anyone else having trouble with the Bulletin Boards in game? I've traveled between four stations in two different systems and none of them are offering any missions.

Fucking weird.

EDIT: Nevermind. Must just not be any missions up in that area of space for some reason.

...which fucking sucks because I'm trying to get access to the Alliance home system, but the faction that grants the permit isn't offering any work. The best I can do is horde bounties up and then turn them in at their station for favor.

Fuck that.

I accepted every assassination mission I could get my hands on. Earning 150-200k a pop killing Anacondas. It's kind of stupid that the game only offers contracts to kill pilots in Anacondas. Like people who pilot Anacondas are the biggest dicks in the galaxy and everyone wants them dead. Nobody in an Asp or a Cobra ever did anything worth killing them over.

Pro-tip of the Day: Get a shield charger, they're fucking great. It's a device that goes in one of your internal slots and can be activated to expend a charge and heal your shield some. Having your shields knocked out sucks balls for obvious reasons, this helps prevent that. As long as you can maintain some shred of shield energy it will keep trickle-charging itself depending on how much power you have allocated to SYS. If they get knocked out completely, they have to go through this really lengthy cycle where they reset themselves and then they come back on with roughly 25-30% of the maximum juice.

Bonus Pro-Tip: On larger ships target the Power Supply if you have weapons with high penetration (tons of Beam Lasers or Cannons for example) and target the Drives if you don't (Multicannons, other Lasers).

If you have high-pen you'll pop someone by killing their power supply before you take their hull down. If you have low-pen you can cripple their drives (they're usually easy to hit on most ships) and then finish them off while they're crippled. They wont be able to activate their FSD if they can't hit maximum drive velocity so there's no escape. SOME SHIPS WILL STILL BE ABLE TO MANUEVER A LITTLE so be careful.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60948

Wow, multistar systems are huge.

One thing I never got about games with hyperspace is that you can travel light years in the blink of an eye but have to spend an age flying between the system's sister stars.
Unless theres some kind of in-system short hyperspace jump I've missed, or some way of picking which star to jump to (I'm guess thats what the nav beacons are for)

Do better scanners, or something, give you a clue what unknown signal sources are?
Seems to be anything from dude giving me a better paying destination for a fetch quest, to space po-po dog fighting juicy scalps to bounty.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #60985

Unknown Signal Sources (abv. "USS") are the random encounters of the game. Could be anything in there. If you're on an assignment to assassinate a specific person, or collect a specific item, you should hunt those things down and jump into all of them.

No way I know of to jump to specific objects inside a system. I never bother visiting stations that are more than 1000ls away from the star. Once you've mad the cruise out to a station 100,000ls from the star you never want to do that shit again.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #60998

Sometimes you can jump to a sister star, I think you have to zoom all the way in on the galaxy map, or have it selected as a jump destination from another system.

There a few systems like that, used to be a part of old frontier, I remember the alliance capital being so huge you could run out of fuel just trying to thrust to the nearest station, and it would take AGES despite being under the sleep thingy full whack.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61004

It's funny how different games try to spin what is essentially time-compression into their lore.

In X3 it's called "SETA" or the "Singularity Engine Time Accellerator" and it, in universe, is a fast-forward button for your own perception of time. Your pilot in the game kicked back and made the universe go faster to avoid boredom.

In previous Elite games it was simply time acceleration and was an OOC skip ahead. That week or so it took you to travel from your warp point to the planet you wanted to visit still took that long but the PLAYER could fast forward while your pilot would've been sitting on his ass in the ship for that long.

In Elite:Dangerous they added "supercruise" so time never needs to be compressed, your ship can just go really fucking fast now. Travel between planets in a system only takes minutes in and out of universe.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #61008

Damn I want this game... but I'm too Po' for what I need. That being a new stick/controller setup and the game itself.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #61025

An0n3 wrote:In previous Elite games it was simply time acceleration and was an OOC skip ahead. That week or so it took you to travel from your warp point to the planet you wanted to visit still took that long but the PLAYER could fast forward while your pilot would've been sitting on his ass in the ship for that long.
I think in frontiers first enc it was a written in as a dream-state, rather than spend a week in your cockpit. When you got jumped by pirates and that klaxon went off I shit myself EVERY time, just because it was so damned loud compared to the rest of the sounds in the game. Used to just read the newspapers they had while travelling long systems.
In Elite:Dangerous they added "supercruise" so time never needs to be compressed, your ship can just go really fucking fast now. Travel between planets in a system only takes minutes in and out of universe.
I think they would have kept the old 'reason' if it wasn't multiplayer, time compression would be impossible to be relative for multiple players. I've traveled to a sister star some 100,000LS away from the parent, and clocked over 2,000c speed in supercruise to get there. For the none SI unit plebs out there, c is the quantized unit of the speed of light. Speeds in the game didn't feel like they were...uh relative to real world. I didn't do the math but 2000xc is a phenomenal speed and at the distance I was travelling, it still took me some 20 minutes to get there.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #61029

I'm not really sure if you can talk about "going 2000 times the speed of light" since it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light - to get anywhere faster than light you need something that doesn't actually traverse all of the space in between.

Ignoring that, 2000c would be about 372,564,000 miles per second.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61073

Yeah I have to laugh when I look at the speedometer and see multiple factors of c and yet I'm looking around the cockpit and things haven't melted into puddles of light or some other crazy shit.

Traveler (the pen and paper RPG) had a great system for FTL travel that was explained pretty well and the original Elite games borrow heavily from.

If you want to read a whole book centered around relativity and FTL travel fucking everything up read The Forever War.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #61093

An0n3 wrote:If you want to read a whole book centered around relativity and FTL travel fucking everything up read The Forever War.
my nigga

still got my heavily dog-eared copy on my desk
Spoiler:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #61095

>not using bookmarks
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #61098

>caring

the words are what matter, not the pages
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61113

Books get all dog eared just from reading them. Holding them open a page at a time all the way through does that to them.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #61222

Dog ears is like that one line of book abuse that I do not cross. I don't take very good care of my books otherwise though.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61246

I'm mistaken, dog eared refers to a very specific kind of use. I only ever do that to planners and journals so I can easily and always tell what page I'm on. I'll use a bookmark or some such for everything else.

Sold the Cobra. Was worth over 2 million at the time. Rolled it into cargo transport with a fuckton of space and some FSD upgrades. Kept a large sum around as liquid assets for buying and selling goods.

The problem with this game right now is that the risk/reward of combat is garbage when it comes to making money. Spend 15-20 minutes chewing up an Anaconda and risking your ship on a lucky plasma accelerator hit vs. just running cargo back and forth for 10 minutes. It's faster, easier money to just shuttle bullshit around the galaxy then to actually get in there and fight.

Like fuck. 200k payout for killing an Anaconda sounds pretty great, right? But then you realize that ship COSTS 150,000,000. You just got paid roughly .2% of the value of the ship you just killed. ONE FIFTH OF A PERCENT.
...when you actually get paid. I had a bunch of federal assholes show up while I was hunting one down and they stole the kill from me somehow. No bounty, and I'm now stuck abandoning a mission and pissing off the faction I'm trying to earn standing with. Because I wasn't the one who got the last hit in.

So yeah fuck this noise. I run cargo to the tune of 150k every 5-10 minutes or so. If I just straight grind goods and ignore hauling missions I can be in an Asp in like 6-7 hours.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #61528

What's with people dictoring me and going "Hi", that's like the oldest trick in the book.

Because you really just violently tore me out of slipstream to chat the shit, not distract so you can get in weapons range
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #61667

Where is that happening to you?

The only pilots that ever successfully interdict me are NPC's with their omniscient turning ability.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #61674

I've only been dictored twice so far, once was by a dude in a cobra - this was whilst I was still getting my space legs and had my throttle down as I was thumbing through the menus - so lost most of my blue bar, the other by an eagle straight after a previous dictor attempt - couldn't get away from him because I was distracted by an apple I was munching

Anyway, got my Eagle last night - should I go for three multicannons or two multicannons and burst laser on top?
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #61677

The thing is piracy will make sense if profit margins get thinner and the base value for goods are high, because piracy is identical to hauling except the goods are often free.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #61678

Its also about risk.

Die in a dog fight?
You lose 5% of your ship value

Die on a cargo run?
You lose 5% of your ship value PLUS the entire value of your cargo hold.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #61701

Welp my ideal Asp would cost ~20 millions
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #62204

UGHHHHHHH Is there any way of putting more than 6 cargo slots on a fucking Swidewinder? I just want to get this trade shit over with so I can get an Eagle and Spess Murrica for some bounties.
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #62214

If you strip out the shields and discovery scanner you should be able to fit 10 total.

Two class 2 cargo holds at 4 units each. One class 1 cargo hold at 2 units.

4 + 4 + 2 = 10 units.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #62216

An0n3 wrote:If you strip out the shields and discovery scanner you should be able to fit 10 total.

Two class 2 cargo holds at 4 units each. One class 1 cargo hold at 2 units.

4 + 4 + 2 = 10 units.
OH MY GOD WHY DIDNT I THINK OF THIS
/vg/station Head Admin
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #62219

Viper/Cobra with 4 MCs, kill warrant scanner, hit a fat extraction area in a border sector, kill wanted cobras for ~20k each, you make 300k in a hour and it's funnier than trading
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #62417

>4 MC's
>not 4 Beam Lasers

Do you enjoy having to stop every 10 minutes to reload?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #62477

>taking 10 minutes to kill something

This is why you'll never be elite.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #62631

An0n3 wrote:>4 MC's
>not 4 Beam Lasers

Do you enjoy having to stop every 10 minutes to reload?
Cobras pop pretty fast with sustained mcannon fire, Asps too if you target the power plant. I usually run out of ammo with ~170k in unclaimed bounties, so I go back to the station, cash in, reload, repeat. Gimballed MCs are great for farming extraction points. Against players? Forget it. They never stand still for long and they use shield cells/chaff, you want to pack a punch in a single swoop. 4 beams would be good I guess, most people freak out when the shield fails.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #62780

Today I learned the hardway that that full shields and full hull on a sidewinder is not enough to prevent you insta gibbing yourself by slamming into the side of a 'conda at full speed.
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #62785

Malkevin wrote:Today I learned the hardway that that full shields and full hull on a sidewinder is not enough to prevent you insta gibbing yourself by slamming into the side of a 'conda at full speed.
Yeah don't get into a ramming match with an Anaconda, they are just too big for you.

I burnt myself out on this game so I'm taking a bit of a break until the next major update is released.
mrpain

Post by mrpain » #65854

Today was the day I nearly solo'd a federal drop ship in a shitty little eagle. When I dropped it's hull to under 20% we rammed each other when I had about 50% hull at near full speeds insta killing me.

I think I'll fight slightly smaller targets next time.
/vg/station Head Admin
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #65868

Has anyone seen one of the faction capital ships yet, post release?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #66072

There's a capital ship in orbit around Earth

I know there are also warzones with capital ships
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67289

They really need to add a system to make it easier to see where players are congregating, haven't seen a player for a week - granted I've been exploring along the ass end of the frontier of Empire space so thats to be expected, but now I want to find some hummies to shoot because the 'hold pitch up until I get a firing angle' ai has gotten dull fast.