Elite: Dangerous

Talk about video games here
Malkevin

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Malkevin » #67289

Bottom post of the previous page:

They really need to add a system to make it easier to see where players are congregating, haven't seen a player for a week - granted I've been exploring along the ass end of the frontier of Empire space so thats to be expected, but now I want to find some hummies to shoot because the 'hold pitch up until I get a firing angle' ai has gotten dull fast.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #67551

The social part is really underwhelming, there is no in-game way to coordinate or at least get in touch with others. As it is now players tend to gather around sectors with rare goods, expecially those at the start/end of a rare loop (altair, lave, leesti, orrere etc.). Orrere being anarchy is filled with pirates in pythons and other endgame ships. Lave and Leesti are filled with griefers. In Altair you can find players with all types of small-medium ships and is usually quite populated.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67557

I slapped a pair of size 2 cannons under my Viper today, Cobras might as well hit their their self destruct button as soon as my gimbaled beam lasers take their shields offline, 3 volleys and they're space dust.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67668

Anyone tried smuggling?
I mean actual smuggling, as in I buy illegal wares in one sector and smuggle them into station that prohibits them and sell them on the black market.
Not fencing stolen goods from the freighter you just negotiated with at gun point.

I've found the profit margins to be incredibly low, lower in general than trading in fact.
Just doesn't seem worth it in my experience.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #67684

Malkevin wrote:Anyone tried smuggling?
I mean actual smuggling, as in I buy illegal wares in one sector and smuggle them into station that prohibits them and sell them on the black market.
Not fencing stolen goods from the freighter you just negotiated with at gun point.

I've found the profit margins to be incredibly low, lower in general than trading in fact.
Just doesn't seem worth it in my experience.
Yep. It's not worth it at all.

It really bothers me that any police officer can magically deduct fines directly from your account for getting caught with contraband. It would make much more sense if this gave you a fine you had to pay, that would eventually roll over into a bounty if you didn't.

Smuggling is garbage. I've tried it. You make more money with legit goods on the right routes and ignore the hassle of randomly having the cops dip their hands into your pockets.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67693

An0n3 wrote: It really bothers me that any police officer can magically deduct fines directly from your account for getting caught with contraband. It would make much more sense if this gave you a fine you had to pay, that would eventually roll over into a bounty if you didn't.
Isnt that how fines work?

You have a 24hr grace period before it converts to a bounty.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #67795

For normal fines for shooting at people and stuff yes.

For being caught with contraband no.

They just immediately deduct the money from you.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #67907

Well thats gay, can't just add that sector to my "Never go here again" list and not pay the fine.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #67989

Yeah. You'll never have to make the choice to ditch your cargo so you can frame shift faster while being chased by the law for smuggling.

They scan you and instantly just take a bunch of credits out of your pocket and then stop caring. You can get nailed multiple times for the same stuff. It's so bad I rarely bother to loot bounties. Everything is "stolen", even the stuff you find drifting around in deep space, and they'll rip money right out of your wallet for having it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #67995

I liked how they handled it in Freelancer, cops would command you to eject illegal cargo or else you would become wanted
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #74999

Figured I'd revive this even though I'm the only one flying right now.

Dat Eagle. Dose Multicannons.
New patch, dat Vulture. Large hardpoints with bastard damage pulse lasers on default config. It's my next goal for sure.

Dat Fer-de-Lance for luxury killin'.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #75007

You know how most software post win98 era when it pops up a message saying "Please restart your computer for the changes to take affect", and then you go "Pah, yeah right, click click" and it works anyway.

Yeah, don't do that with the launcher updates.
First the launcher froze, then when I tried to open task manager to kill it windows shit the bed and everrrything closed, tried to do ctrl-alt-del to restart my machine and an error popped up about how windows was unable to open the ctrl-alt-del screen... leaving my only option to do a front panel reset!

New ships are a bit of a disappointment, I was hoping we'd get some more low end fighters, something to bridge the gap between vipers and asps.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #75054

I hear ya. We shall see. Still going by Malkevin?

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #81193

[youtube]ZzQ3eBerHfM[/youtube]
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #81199

Bought a vulture the other day, it's got two gimbled size 3 puLars lasers and itee completely arse rapes any big ships i at res nodes
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #82204

Me and tedward recently went into the danger zone with another friend of mine. Tedward sadly died because he couldn't drift hard enough.
[youtube]tzTLArp6L_c[/youtube]
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #82227

Haven't been at it as much, but I'mma gonna work on upgrading from this eagle to a viper.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #82293

Should get cobra instead, there's the issue of it being bigger than a viper but stack on more armor and better shields and you'll be right as rein. Just shift your power to 3-3.5 engine and rest into weapons when going against smaller ships and youll do fine, I've out drifted vipers like that. Not only is the cobra a multipurpose fighter I've also been told vipers over heat more often.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #82298

Cobra has horrible weapons placement though
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #82412

Cobra is more expensive, I'm a cheap fucker, And don't really WANT a cobra.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Fleckers

Post by Fleckers » #82523

I remember seeing this game at pax east this year. They had oculus and flight joysticks and it seemed really cool. Might pick it up on sale at some point, just because it's comfy looking
OOC: Jwakefield: So you tell me theres cloning
OOC: Jwakefield: And I cant make an army composed of myself?
OOC: Jwakefield: This game is shit see you i'm leaving forever
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #82679

Fleckers wrote:I remember seeing this game at pax east this year. They had oculus and flight joysticks and it seemed really cool. Might pick it up on sale at some point, just because it's comfy looking

Please refer to my posted videos in the thread for what you'll be doing as your space trucking. Also I might record my next danger zone of me, tedward and other peeps in my squad whilst music plays in the background to maximize this hype.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #95900

Just started playing this with a few friends.

Incredibly fun, I like how you actually have to dock, feels quite immersive. The way warping isnt just simply clicking "warp" on a gate makes it so much more fun and combat actually feels like dog fighting.

Im trying to save up for some good scanners to go exploring.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96178

Was able to activate this shit on steam finally. Neat.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #96193

We get steam keys now?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96309

Login to the store
Go to my account
Go to partner keys
Link your steam account
Receive steam key
Enter key into steam (???? but why did you want to link my steam account you piece of shit)
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96317

I should do that. But I don't care enough and the launcher is fine for me.

However, I will say that I'm currently conducting an exodus to Alliance territory. Because FUck the Federation and Empire. Both of those tyrants can eat the biggest dicks.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96324

Practically the first thing I did after figuring out the basic gameplay was getting to alliance space.

Get to 78 Ursae Majoris.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96374

Okay. I admit I've mainly been using the system Gateway as a marker to get to alliance space. it's the home of the Alliance Faction that isn't Alioth.

Also, I've still just flying around in my junky, poorly equipped eagle, mapping, refueling and doing minor bounty hunting along the way.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96441

Last I checked I was worth a total of like 6 or 7 million credits from hauling and random shit.

BEEP BEEP I don't even have shields because scrubs can't ever even interdict me.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96476

I still want o bounty hunt shit, But I don't want a cobra unless I NEED to get one. i'm going to try to stick it out in pure fighters with a secondary hauler of some kind to fund it. I just need to get a system to bed down in.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96484

Dammit, that thing looks massively Kushan.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96490

ThanatosRa wrote:I still want o bounty hunt shit, But I don't want a cobra unless I NEED to get one. i'm going to try to stick it out in pure fighters with a secondary hauler of some kind to fund it. I just need to get a system to bed down in.
Cobra is pretty great. It makes a great bounty-hunter and in skilled hands can even wreck Anacondas.

Of all the ships I've flown I would say I had the most fun in that one. Two medium gimbaled multi-cannons, two small gimbaled beam lasers. Kill Warrant Scanner and a Shield Cell Bank.
You go out huntin' and you don't come back until you've got a mountain of bounties and two empty multi-cannons.

In one single run I cashed in something like 1.2million worth of bounties in that thing.

If they've improved the ability to fly together, I'd sell my Hauler and get right back in that motherfucker setup just that way so we could wing up and go shrek fools as a squad.

EDIT: I'm kinda curious if this Vulture is any good. Two large weapon hardpoints on a small-ish frame could be pretty savage.

DOUBLE EDIT: OH SHIT WE GOTTA DO THIS.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #96491

If you're wanting a new bounty hunter ship you need to buy the Diamondback Scout.

Same weapon loadout as the viper/cobra but without the cobra's stupid "can't hit above the horizon" underwing small hardpoints.
Smaller than both
As fast as the cobra
Much greater jump range than the viper
Better shielded than the cobra and as strong hulled as it.
A power point as big as the cobra's, so its not starved of power like the viper.
And its got double the utility slots, perfect for shield boosters

Then after that, you've got the diamondback Explorer - which dials everything up to 11, except for maneuverability - its a bit of a flying brick, but its got a lot of firepower for its size.

I might buy a scout myself, though I'd have to strip my Asp and Vulture - only got 2 mil of float atm
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96612

The Cobra's inability for the two small hardpoints to hit above the waterline was really frustrating.

The Diamondback does indeed look like some serious shit. That maximum jump range of 28.25ly is fuckin' serious.

This Vulture though. Two large fistfuls of fuck you is too tempting.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96667

I am still shooting for the Viper first if only because I just want the fucking thing... but yea, what I really want is either that Vulture or a Diamondback.

Fun for me is making the best out of something I want to use and not just the most optimized and greatest thing. Sorry if that makes you not want me around, but My goal is to get something I want and liek and making what i can from it. THat's how I am and how I always will be.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96673

Did they drop the prices on a bunch of shit or something?

My net worth just plummeted down to only like 3mil. What the fuck?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96677

Not sure. I'lm going to plug my stick in shortly(Since it was fucking up borderlands) and take a look.

Yup. Something's going on. Not sure what, but I think my network actually went Up for some reason. Dunno.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96689

Weird. Oh well.

My total assets are now down to being only worth 2mil since I spent roughly 1.8mil on a Diamondback Scout and fittings for it.
I kept my Hauler so I can run garbage around for money when I want to make bank, but now I have the Diamondback for wrecking shit.
It's kind of disappointing to know I've spent probably 7million on ships and fittings for them but the game is only rating me at being worth a total of 2mil now.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96690

Heh. I'm still doing my long ass vagabond trip, slowly making my way, doing various deeds, murdering wanted folks, salvaging cargo and selling it on the black market, doing cargo missions, collecting and selling nav data. Yup.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96711

I wish there was some sort of schema for painting your ship outside of spending real-money on skins.

In the far-flung reaches of future space, a man can spend millions of credits on a space ship
But unless he's willing to also cough up 5USD he can't choose what color it is.

If you guys want a good place to meet up for broams I found a station in Alliance territory that is stocked on ships and fits as well as having good trade opportunities in the area.

Come to LHS 2936 and get your ass to Fraser Orbital.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #96727

Vulture is great as long as you dont plan to leave your current sector

If it didn't cost me real money I would paint my Diamondback yellow, slap on two class 2 cannons, and nickname it the Banana Slug.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #96806

On my way over. I don't mind supporting Frontier, but I totally agree. At least give us some fucking bland colors for skins, c'mon.

JUst... don't judge me for my Pirate and/or 'MURICA Viper.

In fact, don't judge me for MUH VIPRE either.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96825

Malkevin wrote:Vulture is great as long as you dont plan to leave your current sector
Why not?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #96850

Crap jump range, same problem the viper and eagle have
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #96910

Ah. I'm posted up in a system hunting bounties on a High Resource Extraction Site. Holy shit, this is the way to do it. It's not quite as much dollar-per-hour as hauling bullshit around, but it's close and a lot more fun.

Anyone try mining? I'm thinking about fitting up a third ship, an Adder, and using it to actually dig up some of these rocks here for a bit to see what kind of payout it might provide.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #97012

Last time I tried mining, I tried it for several hours and literally everything I mined was worth fuck all. The good tier resources (Palladium?) are in specific out of the reach systems (I think). It really isnt worth your time.

But of course this was like back in January or something when I last played, it could be different now.
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #97028

I was watching some NPC's mine and kinda keeping an eye on the ores they were shooting out.

Stuff was good. I was too busy mining pirates with my beam lasers though.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #97049

Mining has improved a lot now with the addition of cargo drones, I think the resource distribution and purities were buffed too.
Its not that bad cash/hr wise now, still not on the level of trading/bounty hunting.

What type of belt are you hunting in?
If its not a pristine metallic then don't bother mining it because you'll get paid squat.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #97053

An0n3 wrote:Ah. I'm posted up in a system hunting bounties on a High Resource Extraction Site. Holy shit, this is the way to do it. It's not quite as much dollar-per-hour as hauling bullshit around, but it's close and a lot more fun.

Anyone try mining? I'm thinking about fitting up a third ship, an Adder, and using it to actually dig up some of these rocks here for a bit to see what kind of payout it might provide.
Are the resource extraction sites much harder than what appears at the nav beacons? I get a feeling I'll be blown to shit if I go to one of them.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #97179

DON'T WORRY. MURICA VIPER WILL BE IN ALLIANCE SPACE SOON. Probably.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med