Starbound

Talk about video games here
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Re: Starbound

Post by Nienhaus » #66485

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well if you happen to need sprites for something I could help.
Hey.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #66818

Apparently the old Okea furniture mod is back too. I just wanna run a wild west salon/inn on a frontier planet.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #66857

When's someone gonna start hosting a server?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #66872

man starbound is shit
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #66898

Alright, so since I recently found out that, in the original backstory written by exadv1, plasma is only found around a blue super giant (called Centration, but that's besides the point), I'll have plasma appear in-game like this:

1. A new type of star system, Super Giant Blue Star (from here on to be called SGBS).
2. A new type of asteroid field, Plasma Asteroid Field (from here on to be called PAF).
3. SGBS have only PAFs orbiting them. Right now I've also included a fuel moon and stargate, but I'm considering letting you use plasma to fuel your star ship, which would make the fuel moon unnecessary. Opinions about this?

This means that you can only find plasma in PAFs (and therefore only in SGBS systems), and except for the fuel moon there are no planets in SGBS systems. Of course there will also be minerals besides plasma in PAFs, since there also are in SS13 (whether I'll only make the SS13 minerals spawn or also include the Starbound-specific minerals is something I'll have to think about, and again opinions on this are welcome). This makes SGBS systems a very good location for mining. In order to balance this we'd need the monsters from SS13 mining, but I'm afraid that adding mobs, let alone spawning them in specific biomes, is still way out of my league right now. I know it has to be possible somehow, since certain missions have special monsters spawn.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #67049

I'm not sure about that. Not having planets around sounds like it would kinda get samey all the time. I hope there'd be liquid plasma also, because mining rocks to fuel my spaceship might get a little obnoxious. It also complicates things by requiring you to figure out this whole specialized spawn locations of specific monsters thing, instead of letting the game do it normally.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67104

I don't think he is saying there will be no other planets, just that you can choose to visit these special asteroid belts. Fuel is already pretty ubiquitous anyways, allowing an extra fuel source is not gonna unbalance the game
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #67105

Yeah fuel is such a non-issue now it might as well not even be a mechanic anymore.

You make one trip to a moon and your ship is full, and all open slots in the fuel port are also full.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67123

Super giant stars are a go, all that's left now is figuring out how to have multiple types of asteroid belts. I actually posted on the forums about that, I just can't figure it out.

Once this part is finished the mod is actually good to go as far as worldgen is concerned. I have ideas for, like, derelict Nanotrasen space stations and ships orbiting asteroid belts maybe, but that is stuff for way later versions of the mod. And everything else is stuff that can be added to the mod after the server starts without too much trouble.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
Balut

Post by Balut » #67129

Wyzack wrote:I don't think he is saying there will be no other planets, just that you can choose to visit these special asteroid belts.
I didn't think he was. I'm just saying, there's a shitload of other stuff in the game, and putting plasma and NT stuff in their own little special system that only has asteroids in it, no regular planets or whatever, and thus necessitating that you burn fuel and load a new planetary system and all that if you want to go loot some water or dirt or something seems unnecessary. Especially if it's only to be faithful to some obscure bit of SS13 lore.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67135

Well it's more to have all worldgen specific to NT restricted to its own biomes and systems. Also the asteroids will have minerals besides plasma, so you could build like a space station in a belt.

I guess I could change it so the super giant stars have a chance of a jungle planet orbiting, and add a toad NPC to them who never shuts up about the planet he lives on.
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #67138

Ricotez wrote:I guess I could change it so the super giant stars have a chance of a jungle planet orbiting, and add a toad NPC to them who never shuts up about the planet he lives on.
Lizard janitors.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67139

Lizards as a playable race?
Spoiler:
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #67143

Ricotez wrote:I guess I could change it so the super giant stars have a chance of a jungle planet orbiting, and add a toad NPC to them who never shuts up about the planet he lives on.
10/10
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Balut

Post by Balut » #67226

I am sure I will understand this reference eventually maybe.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #67227

rip junglestation 13, you were shit and so was starautist. Really, fuck that guy forever. Worse than me.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67245

I've modified the parameters for the different orbits around Super Giants. Currently they're set to this:

[1, 6] No chance of spawning. I increased the scale of the star image, and it overlaps these orbits.
[7] 50% chance of a plasma asteroid belt.
[8] 100% chance of a plasma asteroid belt, to ensure you will always find some plasma in these systems.
[9] 100% chance of one of the following types of planets spawning: Jungle, Arctic, Volcanic, Ocean. I know they're from different tiers, but the goal here is to provide you with a planet to build Jungle / Ice / Lava / Ocean Station, not to get balanced minerals.
[9 - Moon] 100% chance of a fuel moon.
[10, 11] 30% chance of plasma asteroid belts. It's just overkill at this point.
[12] An ancient gate, of course.

I still haven't figured out how to add a new type of asteroid, sadly. If worst comes to worst, I'll have to make plasma appear on planets instead.
Spoiler:
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #67309

Spriting something that isn't SS13 is fun.
Spoiler:
Hey.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67311

Holy shit that is awesome!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #67315

A year old, but I sprited this:
Spoiler:
In progress shot:
Spoiler:
Sadly, I think I lost the mod files and assets.
EDIT: Had no local copies because I had it all saved on Mediafire, Woo.
Heh, it's crafted out of torches lol, 1 year ago me was stupid.
Last edited by Remie Richards on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
私は完璧
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #67318

You sprite types are remarkable wonderful people. Any chance we could get some secsprites or even noir detective sprites?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #67352

I finished it.
Spoiler:
Hey.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #67373

Plasma ore works perfect now, it generates, drops upon breaking, and can be smelted into bars.

Unfortunately I still haven't managed to separate asteroids into several types. However, I think I might be able to cheat on the system by adding an asteroid category to the planet generator instead, and set its parameters and icons to those of an asteroid belt.
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #67691

That seems logical.

But Niehaus... that jumpsuit is the wrong color.

You know which one I mean. You know it must be done.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #67748

ThanatosRa wrote: But Niehaus... that jumpsuit is the wrong color.

What, am I missing something?
Hey.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #67779

Nienhaus wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote: But Niehaus... that jumpsuit is the wrong color.

What, am I missing something?
Why isn't it Grey?

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #67861

Because I was asked to make an engineer jumpsuit?
Hey.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #67877

I know I'm giving you shit.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #68027

I thought you were like saying an inside joke that I didn't know.
Hey.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #68037

It was an inside joke that no one know.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #68061

it was just that obscure
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #68063

... Honestly, I don't even care about a bad joke. I just want to Greytide through the universe.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Balut

Post by Balut » #68091

Grey tide best tide.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
LunchboxKilla
Byond Username: Lunchboxkilla

Post by LunchboxKilla » #68147

grey tide universe wide
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #68206

So it might be impossible to add plasma asteroid fields. I'm sorry about that, but there just doesn't seem to be any way to have different varieties of asteroid fields. I've tried adding them to terrestrial world generation instead, but that causes a thin layer of lava to form at the bottom of the map (and you usually spawn right in it).

I have a few ideas left that I will try out, but if those fail too I'm afraid we'll have to wait for an actual Starbound update that adds asteroid field varieties before I can generate plasma this way.

With that said, there are other possibilities, of course. Please tell me which one of these you like the most:
  1. Cheat some more by adding a "big asteroid" to the center of these fields. This would just be a layer of asteroid rock over the lava layer, to simulate a big asteroid with a fiery core.
  2. Add plasma generation to ALL asteroid fields.
  3. Add plasma generation only to the asteroids that spawn high above planets.
  4. Add plasma generation to special planets. (It's easy to, for example, create a special jungle planet template that also has plasma generation and have them only appear in super giant star systems.)
  5. Add plasma generation to (a certain danger class of) planets in general.

EDIT: Actually, it is possible to get rid of the thin layer of lava. If I can also manage to fix the day/night cycle and the darkness at lower Y-levels the above poll becomes moot.
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #68212

In the event the poll is not in fact moot, i vote for replacing the current asteroid fields, as they are not needed for any part of normal gameplay progression as far as i know.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #68280

After some more tweaking I managed to eliminate day/night and move the darkness to the bottom few rows of the asteroid belt. Since you'll die anyway if you touch the bottom (this is no different from regular asteroid belts) it's close enough.

The only thing left I have to fix now is the icon the plasma belts get in the cockpit, when you select them as your destination. The renderer selects random bases and masks to create a random pattern of asteroids for every belt, but because the asteroids now use the planet renderer, the first base has no mask applied to it. This means that all asteroid belts have a big bright circle around them. Fixing that will involve a workaround (I'll transform the bases directly into asteroid textures and just make the masks so big that they don't cover up any part of them), but it's not really that important since it only affects something you spend maybe 5 seconds looking at before you hit "GO".

In other words... Specialized belts are a go!
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #68293

Based Ricotez, Starbound Station 13 is coming!
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster