Spessmen game stream

Talk about video games here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Spessmen game stream

Post by Timbrewolf » #55918

Continued from this discussion.

We've done some horror game streams and other shit before. I was thinking of reviving the practice and doing some kind of Friday night stream + skype/teamspeak chat. I've got some random ideas for games but nothing I'm married to. Open to suggestions.

So far the menu is Skyrim, a bunch of roguelikes, and some 90's action games. I done played up all the spooks we found last time. They were almost all disappointingly crap.

One way or another the stream will go up on Friday at roughly sometime 5-6pm EST?
I'll be on hitbox at (http://www.hitbox.tv/An0n3) because I'm fucking 2cool4twitch or some shit.
Ehh fuck it we'll just use twitch at (http://www.twitch.tv/an0n3live)

I'll post here with more details about possible ride along voice chats maybe over skype or some shit as that gets figured out.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: Spessmen game stream

Post by Jeb » #55971

Why not a /tg/station community stream?
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #55973

Cart before horse.

If you're a streamer speak up. The only other regular streamer/producer in the /tg/station community I know of is EndgamerAzari and he doesn't really play much if at all anymore.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #55980

I think he meant those streams where a bunch of /tg/ers played with you.

Go for games that are exciting to watch on screen. Warframe, MWO (If you are playing a front line fast guy), stuff with a lot of razzle dazzle and easy to preform impressive looking moves.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55983

An0n3 wrote:Cart before horse.

If you're a streamer speak up. The only other regular streamer/producer in the /tg/station community I know of is EndgamerAzari and he doesn't really play much if at all anymore.
I stream. Scarecams are for fags.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #55986

cedarbridge wrote:

How 2 stream like a pro:

1) Don't show anything but the game. No facecam bullshit. No overlays unless they're absolutely critical to the stream (showing a scoreboard for sets, a countdown, etc.).
2) Music is fine as long as you mix everything properly. Don't just mute the game audio, go in there and kill the music so the game's sound effects are still audible.
3) Communicate with your fucking audience holy shit. Not just "hey guys did you see that?" but actively responding to things people say. This typically requires you to have either a second monitor to put chat up on, or an entirely seperate computer/laptop nearby to manage the stream.

Good streamer examples:
Plumphelmetpunk
The Vinesauce crew

At any rate there are some different ideas of what makes a community stream.
To me a community stream is a page like http://vinesauce.com/, where you have a community of streamers providing a near round-the-clock fountain of fun. There are a ton of advantages to having a setup like that.
To have a single stream that a bunch of people have the keys to is easier to setup from a technical standpoint but objectively worse all around.

To have a stream that only occurs when a community of people is getting together to play something is a logistical nightmare for wholly different reasons. People who make that kind of group-focused content rarely if ever stream it, they record it and then cut it down to just the good stuff. I never wanted to stream any of that Arma 3 stuff we were playing, but I did record a lot of it and make some fun stuff with it. Because 20-30 minutes of a group of 10-12 people arguing about what to play or how to set it up or trying to help one person fix a connection issue etc. etc. etc. is fucking horrible and nobody wants to watch that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #56017

I stream sometimes.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56023

An0n3 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

1) Don't show anything but the game. No facecam bullshit. No overlays unless they're absolutely critical to the stream (showing a scoreboard for sets, a countdown, etc.).
More to the point, nobody cares what you look like unless you're streaming an event (local tournament or something) or you're somebody they actually showed up to see in the first place. If you don't have over 100 concurrent viewers, odds are good people didn't show up to see you.

Overlays are really only useful if you integrate it with proper scene controls. FinestKO does a pretty job job of managing overlay use for mixing camera (people actually give a shit about Coopa as a streamer personally so occasionally its fine to see his face once and a while), gameplay, and scheduled future streams/recording replays announcements. That's all a little beyond "hey guys I'm playing the videogames" sorts of pickup streams. If you plan to stream for a serious audience you gotta get that #productionvalue
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56039

If you aren't already an internet celebrity or genuinely attractive nobody gives a fuck.

Even if either or both of those applies to you there are a lot of us that would still find it hard to care.
If you're some hotshot high profile e-celeb doing an event get a fucking technical director on the boards to actually produce this shit.

Go look at the AGDQ stream. Holy shit I want to puke.
why.png
>that fucking horrible live cam angle
>oh boy I can see one guy staring at a television and two nerds watching him this is great visual information
>giant borders around everything
>blue on blue font/background
>that random advertisement plunked down in the bottom right

Does nobody know what a technical director is or does? You should have someone periodically get up and just nudge the stream to change the camera angle, or set it up to rotate through a couple different scenes on its own. I mean come on, look at that. Does anyone think anyone wants to sit down and look at that setup for hours on end?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56043

AGDQ does that for a reason (not the shitty camera angle that's just cherrypicking a lazy hour of the stream or something idk.) Speedrunners are a community that produces its own microcelebrities based on achievements in running their chosen game. The same thing applies to fighting games (maybe moreso) because the personality of the player and the community is half of the package. Viewers feed off that increasingly salty look on a player's face after they get dunked on. That's why you have streams like SuperArcade and TeamSpooky that have 1-2 cameras set and angled towards the players at different vantages that the streamer can toggle (with appropriately planned overlays to boot) at the drop of a hat. The focus remains on the game while a round is on (mostly) but otherwise its bouncing from commentators, to the players, to some jerkass in the crowd, everywhere. The unlucky timing for that AGDQ stream there is it was probbably in the middle of the night where most of the crowd had gone to bed to get rested up for the bigger deal games and runners in the morning. Its a 24hr+ live event usually.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56048

I just took that picture right when I made that post. 8pm EST.

The FGC has personalities. There's rivalries and history there. There's direct 1-to-1 competition. It's visceral and immediate. But even then when it's prime time EVO and the fight is on we don't give a fuck what these two guys look like, they aren't mic'ed and they're only shown on feed inbetween rounds interspersed with cuts of the commentators.

The bottom line is there just isn't shit to see when you're showing someone play a videogame. How intensely concentrated can a person possibly be staring into a screen that it merits looking at?

There's nothing to actually show. Outside of screamy scarecams and overdone theatrics of WOWIE ZOWIE DIDJA SEE THAT VIDYA GERM? The FGC presentation has taken a page from sports television and they know when to cut to the crowd, the commentators, and least of all the fighters themselves. Because like I said: bottom line showing someone sitting there with a controller or an arcade stick in their hands is the least interesting thing of everything going on.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #56049

An0n3 wrote:If you aren't already an internet celebrity or genuinely attractive nobody gives a fuck.
So why don't you always stream with your own handsome mug an0n3?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56052

I probably should. It's hard to believe but I get sick of looking at myself eventually.

Me eating a fucking sandwich got 84 views and four thumbs why.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #56055

An0n3 wrote:I probably should. It's hard to believe but I get sick of looking at myself eventually.

Excellent question why. Must be the facial hair
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56058

tedward1337 wrote:
An0n3 wrote:I probably should. It's hard to believe but I get sick of looking at myself eventually.

Excellent question why. Must be the facial hair
Sandwich
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56128

Oh I just noticed that this exists:

https://twitchtips.com/twitch-teams/

But I don't know if anyone of us have the clout required to make one? Looks like you have to be a Twitch partner to create one in the first place, and then you can invite others to it.

If we could somehow make a /tg/station team and just get everyone on it you could have a one-stop hub to go stare at any of us jackasses streaming at any given time, and I assume get a notice when anyone was going live if you wanted that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #56152

I have at one point streamed 45 minutes of my cat sleeping on a pillow to an audience of 22 people

I could stream some games sometime, but don't expect much from me

Also, to be a twitch partner you need to consistently get 500+ viewers on at the same time watching you for a week or so, so I would doubt we have anyone with that (Who also currently plays SS13)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56235

XSI wrote:I have at one point streamed 45 minutes of my cat sleeping on a pillow to an audience of 22 people

I could stream some games sometime, but don't expect much from me

Also, to be a twitch partner you need to consistently get 500+ viewers on at the same time watching you for a week or so, so I would doubt we have anyone with that (Who also currently plays SS13)
Likely I wouldn't be pulling that kind of audience until I get my state's fighting scene up and running more than "on this dude's couch once a month." If you wanted to do a communal sort of thing, you might as well make a general account and just have every pass it around like a medbay whore.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56249

Going to test some shit.

EDIT: Yeah it's your internet Colonic. I checked the archived video on twitch for that short stint and there's no hitching or desync at all. It's a pretty high quality stream so I dunno mang. 1080p 30fps @ 3300kb/s. My big American bandwidth might be too much for your virgin kangaroo router. I'll look into options for uploading a simultaneously less-bandwidth-intensive stream as well. I'm pretty sure there's some way to do that.

EDIT AGAIN: There should be some option on twitch itself to adjust your stream quality if you're stuttering like that.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #56331

An0n3 wrote:
EDIT AGAIN: There should be some option on twitch itself to adjust your stream quality if you're stuttering like that.
There is
If you're a partner
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56342

Upon further investigation it appears there was some stuttering in the stream because I'm not a partner.

I'm trying to watch a test video I archived on my own page, and every 15-20 seconds it has to stop to buffer not because the video itself has issues, but because twitch isn't giving any bandwidth to anyone who wants to look at my page on it.

Going back to hitbox for more testing to see if there's any similar issues there.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #56343

I dunno, I thought that was funny. Did that, or you puking get more views?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56346

Pretty sure the puking has like 4-5 times as many views.

Food coming out is more entertaining than food going in.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #56643

More stream tweaks and shiiiiiiit.

Going to try streaming some of "The Long Dark" tonight on twitch. Trying out some new shit with chat so that I can read what people are saying directly in game.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: