Nosgoth AKA I can't think of a funny title

Talk about video games here
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Nosgoth AKA I can't think of a funny title

Post by Drynwyn » #63446

Nosgoth! It just went into open beta on steam. Free to play. Shockingly not pay to win. Great game if you can get a coordinated team.

Plays like a cross between a MOBA and a FPS. You don't build power in a round like a standard MOBA, though.

Vampires are fast, can climb walls, don't take falling damage, and will fuck you up in melee range. One of the 4 classes can fly!

Humans have ranged weapons.

Humans are much harder to learn, so in early game vampires will always win the round. However, the match format forces each team to play as humans for a round, then vampires for a round, and whoever gets the most total kills wins, so it's not a huge issue- and at higher skill levels, humans and vampires are fairly evenly matched.

Those of you who already know the bullshit above:

Warbow Scout is super fun, so is Sentinel.

I'm good with Scout, Reaver, Sentinel, and Deceiver.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Nosgoth AKA I can't think of a funny title

Post by Steelpoint » #63451

I've found this game to be surprisingly well made and enjoyable thus far. Yes you'll occasionally end up in a one sided match, but overall I think the game is well balanced and the default starting classes and equipment are very robust and effective. Not to mention their F2P model is fair.

I have always enjoyed asymmetrical game modes, and this game pulls it of well.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #63470

Yeah, in the end I liked the game and it's payment model enough that I bought a 30 day All Boost. Got to give props for the fair monetization. I do wonder how they'll make it work on the business end, though, given the fairly low incentives for purchasing premium items are.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #63485

I grabbed this earlier today

Seems pretty neat. My laptop can't really handle shit that well though, so I mainly just sit back and throw abilities at the enemy
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #63486

But can I be the Raziel?
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63491

I was in the closed beta for this with a friend of mine and had a helluva fun time. Prophet was my favorite class.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #63530

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:But can I be the Raziel?
Yes. "Sentinel" vampire class.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #63544

Seems to get largely positive reviews on steam and everyone is saying its definately not pay to win, sounds like its worth a shot.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #63634

Shower thought: The flying class, Sentinels, have a quite powerful Air Strike ability that throws a bomb to the ground.

A coordinated Air Superiority team of 4 sentinels launching mass Amber Alert swoops mixed in with goddamn carpet bombing would be fucking devastating.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #63675

Drynwyn wrote:Shower thought: The flying class, Sentinels, have a quite powerful Air Strike ability that throws a bomb to the ground.

A coordinated Air Superiority team of 4 sentinels launching mass Amber Alert swoops mixed in with goddamn carpet bombing would be fucking devastating.
Until they simply take cover under literally anything and then bola the shit out of you.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #63680

Fuck I love the deceiver, pubbies can't handle it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #63779

What I think I like most about this game is that irrespective if my team won or lost I feel like I had a good game.

Most of the time anyway.
XSI

Post by XSI » #63794

I'm going to go write a review for this

Shit's actually pretty well made, and it's in no way, shape or form pay to win as far as I can see

Also, it might be because most original concepts have already been tried, but it feels kinda like L4D. Reavers are hunters with sometimes spitter acid, and tyrants are chargers. Then you have the deceiver/spy-like thingy. But they're all just slightly different enough to be pretty entertaining and not a clone
XSI

Post by XSI » #63813

Review made, rate that shit up if you liked it

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... ed/200110/
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #63924

Good review. Captures my general feelings on the game pretty well.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #64056

It's like Natural Selection 2 but less interesting.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #64060

its like natural selection 2 except its not like natural selection 2 at all
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #64064

Its like Natural Selection 2 with such glaring similarities as:
-Player vs Player combat
-Non-humans
-Something explodes
-Fire
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
miggles

Post by miggles » #64070

dude dont forget the important ones
-dying
-weaponry
-using buttons on a keyboard
-its a game
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #64108

>it's on steam
>it's really broken
>it's not fun

nvm those last two are exclusive for NS2

gee i wonder why people don't play it anymore
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #64151

DrPillzRedux wrote:It's like Natural Selection 2 but less interesting.
What you meant to say was "Its like Natural Selection 2, but the community isn't total shit. (yet)"
miggles

Post by miggles » #64245

NS2 was cool but tried too hard to be complex for a game that really needed a more casual userbase to survive
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #64349

Reaver OP - Rangers throw knives is funny as fuck when you nail those flying bastards out of the sky. Recently got a triple kill too because of it.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #64351

>reaver OP
>not deciever

raziel fags pls go
miggles

Post by miggles » #64355

scouts are fun but ive yet to carry my team as scout like i have as hunter and alchemist
my best game was 17-5-8 as reaver
reavers best sentinels shit go home sentinels
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #64356

Not gonna lie Deceiver with that plague bees skill is super frustrating.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #64401

miggles wrote:scouts are fun but ive yet to carry my team as scout like i have as hunter and alchemist
my best game was 17-5-8 as reaver
reavers best sentinels shit go home sentinels
Scout tips: If your team is competent and reliable, use the Warbow. If they aren't, use the Swiftbow (on maps with many long sight lines) or the Stormbow (on more claustrophobic maps).

and bitch what you say about sentinels i will fight you
my best game was 14/0/10 as Sentinel

(Srsly tho, the thing about Sentinel is that they're different from the other vamps and harder to learn, so you see a lot more shitty ones out there.)
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #64442

Better off grabbing land mine as Scout, every encounter your going to have will end up in 2 or more people running a train on you. Toss a land mine down at your feet and laugh because it normally end up in a kill. Grappling hook is useless, you would figure being a level upper would give you an advantage because vampires are always looking down but with the grappling hook you can only grapple onto preselected areas.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #64448

Trap is pretty good, yeah. I usually run Swiftbow (Warbow if with friends) + Knives + Trap or Turret.

Turret is really quite good and a worthwhile alternative to Trap. It's deploy range is surprisingly long if you angle your camera up, especially if you're on a ledge. It's not as reliable as Trap in terms of improving your K/D, but it can be very useful for supporting your allies.

The grappling hook is decent if you're in The Fane, and pretty terrible elsewhere because there aren't enough grapple points, and those that do exist shave at best 2 seconds vs. simply running up some stairs.

It would be nice if they improve it somehow, either by adding more hookpoints to maps, or ideally by making it's usage more freeform.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #64544

Grappling hook is also bad because it encourages dumb ideas. Like leaving your teammates to go hide on a perch and get your shit kidnapped/tackled.
srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #64560

every Ideal is a dumb Ideal, feel free to add me on steam to buddy up, been playing this alot lately and wrecking people UP as scout. I've gone 1v1 with vampires and came out with 20-50% HP in a melee fight. Oh lord landmine > knife > head shot is just brutal.