SPACE ENGINEERS

Talk about video games here
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: SPACE ENGINEERS

Post by Wyzack » #131162

Bottom post of the previous page:

bumping this bread, pretty sure we have planets and alien spiders now
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131169

There was another teaser video about planets and some sort of cave bugs, but I don't think those are actually in yet.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #131170

Nope.

They've been teasing planets for weeks now.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #131176

There is a source build you can run to test planets but they are very WIP and buggy/not great perfomance yet. You can play planets right now but they aren't up to snuff and it is a hassle.

There are random videos on youtube of people running the build:
[youtube]r_QF2ASDUx4[/youtube]
Sloppy idiots trying to bombard themselves.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #133303

Planet patch is out. You can go and land on planets in real time, fully destructible too.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133304

DrPillzRedux wrote:Planet patch is out. You can go and land on planets in real time, fully destructible too.
I have to build the biggest space dick to strike the earth, and penetrate through to the other side.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #133305

I'm gonna wait until they fix the inevitable shit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #133355

DrPillzRedux wrote:Planet patch is out. You can go and land on planets in real time, fully destructible too.
[youtube]2FRu9p-3Ois[/youtube]
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133363

Time to stehl rein
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133366

Jesus fuck how do you even do anything on planets i'm like permanently at a 45 degree angle while walking, and trying to land that big tumor of a lander they start you in is ridiculous.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133369

Press B to align station blocks so you can have some flat ground I guess? I'm still downloadin so I'm just guessing.

Edit: Fucking christ why did they decide that 7 seconds flight time per hydrogen bottle was fine for jetpacks designing ships on planets is going to be ass until I build my first proper hovership to plan and build from.

Deconstruction of ships is a dream in with all parts having weight now no need for holding on or driving into each other now just collapses into the gravity as you take it apart, lovely.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133453

Drills too weak to withstand the strain of mining or maybe the rock fragments get too fast in 1g and impact em I dunno. Basically drills are popping and even if you do mine ore generation is currently bugged with it being just rock and also it is buried under flavour terrain to start with, keep it to creative for now still very impressive stuff. Not sure what to do for mining the weight of the array of atmospheric thrusters required to move around and get at the ground with ships is crippling.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133458

I imagine you need hydrogen thrusters to do anything of value on a planet. Atmospheric thrusters are a joke.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133460

Boot up the easy earth start it has a working atmospheric miner. Given drills are still popping for some reason. It has an absurd amount of thrusters on the sides but it can work. Also watch your speed the vanilla speed limit is pretty low and planets are enormous. There are mods that can say triple the speedlimit if you want it is mainly a constraint to make collision less buggy.
Hydrogen doesn't last very long apparently but it is pretty good for dual atmos and space vehicles it is like the pretend to be a space shuttle thruster. Maybe I want a mod for some of these values, especially the insane jetack limitations I will look for it latter.

Mostly been doing a creative romp running around shooting pirates in a goofy default hovership is pretty fun. I kamikaze'd one of the fat underarmed ufos from directly above.

Edit: These hotfixes are outa control.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #133632

Well, that was a suprise, I thought they would relase them just before/after christmas. I am waiting for modders to start relasing planet-related stuff.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #133638

Not even the MalTek drilling platform can dig deep enough to find buried ores.

Although looking at the moon map its looking like ores are mostly found in mountain ranges now?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133648

Seems like everything is just rarer on planets. Or maybe its because there is three billion fucking kilometers of dirt in every damn direction you have to get through first that it seems rarer.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #133651

Well, you can use modded drills. Or just build an automated warhead production device above the planet and rain destruction, HMMMM...

Also, found zis: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
I play:
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #133652

Haven't played yet, waiting for fixes - but wouldn't automated warhead production and deployment be somewhat useless without a way to de-orbit them first?
I mean, unless the deploying ship is deorbiting itself and then thrusting prograde again as soon as payload release is finished.

Or unless Space Engineers doesn't work like KSP at all.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133653

Could always just hover in 0.01 natural gravity and just let it do its thing, or set up a piston to nudge it on a timer.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #133658

Or give them small thrusters, and find/make a script able to steer them into the target... Well, I'm not sure if projector/welder combo copies these, and this would ramp up the cost immensely. And said satelite would either have to be refilled with uranium in addition to steel, or use fragile solar panels... And this is where the "Throw a boulder through the stargate" idea makes it's comeback.
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133659

Crashing stuff into a planet is easy while grav cannons and ion thrusters don't work down there momentum keeps it going. Tricky part is accurately shooting at that distance with gravity on all blocks and disruption by defences basically acting in place of wind, once you figure it out it can be done but eh you could also steer it midway via remote control at that point it is basically a ship. Atmospheric ships that go too high are more useless and their thrust cuts out and they just drift into space.

Planet design is a bit too ball buster in a lot of respects it is basically an elephant graveyard for shit you put down there atm. Shit tons of ice tho hydrogen for months.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #133684

To be honest, planets have ONE thing that no other place has: You can build bases there that are impervious to attack from any but the most specialized spacecraft. Even surface bases will require a special missile platform (or a well aimed Kamikaze attack, which is apparently suprisingly hard to pull off), and subterrean ones will require a drill ship. If you play on a server where you announce the location of your base, well, having it 100 or 1000 meters underground (if that is possible) would be great. Of course, you can't build large ships there, but maybe a large Black Mesa style elevator would work for small ones, and it would be a great place to hoard materials.
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133719

Or just build a big ship underground anyway and detonate a larger exit for the big reveal.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133721

Jazaen wrote:Of course, you can't build large ships there, but maybe a large Black Mesa style elevator would work for small ones, and it would be a great place to hoard materials.
Incomptinence wrote:Or just build a big ship underground anyway and detonate a larger exit for the big reveal.
[youtube]e5XaLsSfoWg[/youtube]

if only
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #133854

And then enemy rams it with 5x5x4 heavy armor cube going at maxspeed (am I the only person that uses maxspeed increase mods?). Speaking of explosives, digging a wide shaft using them is really easy (and not really that resource draining). Or maybe just a big drillship built specifically for that.
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133970

I know planets are like 50% pre generated due to "realistic sculpting" but the speed at which they spawn in creative is terrifying.

World gen tips none of the default planets starts will have any asteroids even if you set it at least I aint found em. So start with an asteroids save then spawn your planets preferably one of each type since they are samey to their own on the surface.
Tip on spawning moons put size slider to absolute minimum to actually make them proper moon size sheesh they can get big.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #133976

Incomptinence wrote: Tip on spawning moons put size slider to absolute minimum to actually make them proper moon size sheesh they can get big.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133978

More you can make the moon bigger than the earth.

Shift f10 to spawn asteroids and planets in creative.

Edit:
My little bro threw this together with a few pointers.
Most basic systems to be a little mobile refinery/parts factory other than ice processing and I fiddled with the wheel settings until I could get it up a gentle slope out of ice lake over yonder, be careful with parking even with high friction and a parking break on too much of a slope you will still slide. Could use some paint and a piston to bring the stairs on the other side down within jumping range but eh glad he made it. Advantage of wheel shit you can basically turn everything off once parked and bask like a lizard.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134023

So I'm gonna set up a server again. Feel free to join. I'll probably make it private server for a bit (so you'll need to apply to the steam group to get access) just so we can get setup before the spammers, then I'll probably make it public.

If you're in the steam group already (from before) then no need to do anything, otherwise here's the details:
ychban.png
ychban.png (17.76 KiB) Viewed 11937 times
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/YCHinSpace

IP: 88.150.145.86:27015

Teamspeak: TBC
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134052

Dedicated server code is apparently a bit buggy with current planets release you may want to reconsider. Hosting on a computer with a few friends reportedly works better don't ask me why.

On foot access isn't 100% ready and still needs the bridge added but it was a fun proof of concept in solar helibases. Pretty sure solar is over engineered for hovering or slow cruise but either solars or batteries are reporting their lifetime buggily and the 600 or so batteries it has never report a lifetime longer than 8 hours for more than a few seconds, when it does that lifetime is like 5 years. Given small size of planets and the slow "orbit of the sun" of the planets due to this compared to earth I believe with a maxed day (whole earth day) setting a flying base like this could just chase the sun perpetually. Maybe needs an overhead for docked small craft and actually processing stuff but eh can't figure that out properly with the battery lifetime being a huge glitch.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134074

Thanks to our glorious Bethesda vice-overlords (the title still belongs to certain piping company) I am terribly tempted to try and build a working vault door.

EDIT: Oookay, you can't really replicate that if you are going for the "Airtight nuclear apocalypse shelter" feel since you can either make space between blast doors and normal blocks too wide or you could make it too tight, which will result in it becoming too wide quickly. I tested for Fallout 3, NV and 4 door design, and F1 and F2 doors would be even harder to build thanks to the whole external thingy and lack of moving parts besides the slab of metal itself. That being said, if you abandoned the rotation thing and measured the distance between blocks really well you might still be able to do something remotely right. And if you would like the door to expand outwards instead of inwards this could very well work. Not that this will be airtight for SE purposes, but there are other kinds of doors for that.

2EDIT: I guess it depends how close you want to stay to the original. I am sure that rotating gear design is out, and maybe even gear design entirely (in a reasonable scale). A square door would probably work.
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134133

Oxygen checks for gaps in the room I suppose you could hide an airtight hanger door between 2 doors of the type you want though. For more easy to fit moving doors try blast door blocks they are smaller in some dimensions.

Edit: Turns out batteries are being stupid bitches and not charging from solar panels so the only way to figure out if I had enough was sink or swim turning the batteries off.

Testing shows you need 50-150 solar panels per large atmo thrusters holding it upright with some variance by payload. Might get a modded solar pannel since testing has left my poor baby ugly and the sheer weight of reflections is starting to get to my fps.
Now can fly on solar alone near full daylight at an equator sadly probably gonna start from scratch since it has gotten too gross even for me. 3200 solar panels roughly.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134206

When I get home I'll try to put blast doors on the outside instead of on the door itself, might work better.
I play:
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #134231

Solars are generally much better when stacked vertically.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134272

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Solars are generally much better when stacked vertically.
Doesn't it depend on the time of day?
Surely the best would be to have some on end and some flat? That way you get sunrise-sunset efficiency and also midday efficiency.

Also holy fuck it too me sooooo long to work out that my world limit was small than the planet, so every time I spawned I would die or the spawn ship would be deleted because it was technically outside the game world.
Anyway its all up and running.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #134292

peoplearestrange wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote:Solars are generally much better when stacked vertically.
Doesn't it depend on the time of day?
Surely the best would be to have some on end and some flat? That way you get sunrise-sunset efficiency and also midday efficiency.

Also holy fuck it too me sooooo long to work out that my world limit was small than the planet, so every time I spawned I would die or the spawn ship would be deleted because it was technically outside the game world.
Anyway its all up and running.
Horizontal ones get very limited exposure during sunrise and sunset, with only high exposure during mid afternoon, verticals are hit by both sunrise and sunset as soon as the sun begins to rise, but yeah, ideally you should hear both so you don't lose out on the mid afternoon energy.
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134306

It does, suprisingly, work. Somehow. Still, pretty weak against starship impacts and anything stronger than a bullet. Though if you place it in a room with a few turrets it will slow people with grinders down.
Spoiler:
I play:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134322

TechnoAlchemist wrote: Horizontal ones get very limited exposure during sunrise and sunset, with only high exposure during mid afternoon, verticals are hit by both sunrise and sunset as soon as the sun begins to rise, but yeah, ideally you should hear both so you don't lose out on the mid afternoon energy.
Well the design concept was the solar craft could chase noon forever on a long day cycle..

Edit: Also pas if you insist on hosting you might not want to include alien worlds as the alien planet type has a bug where if one human player is on it aliens spawn near all players on any planet.

Also automatic cleaning of small ore chunks is busted so you need to do it manually somehow.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134472

Incomptinence wrote:
TechnoAlchemist wrote: Edit: Also pas if you insist on hosting you might not want to include alien worlds as the alien planet type has a bug where if one human player is on it aliens spawn near all players on any planet.

Also automatic cleaning of small ore chunks is busted so you need to do it manually somehow.
That info's actually out dated. Its on the earth type world as the other worlds simply werent letting you spawn anywhere other than inside the world...
So no need to worry about aliens, just space pirates...

Also the sever hosting I use (pingperfect) has some really good external clean up tools, so I'll run that roughly once a week or if the lag FPS seems to be consistently low. But cheers for the tips!
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134567

Fun bug I helped to report, meteors are shooting up out of the ground and spawning inside the planet destroying some peoples subterranean bases from within.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #134721

the game is still inferior to ss13 because although it has meteors, it doesn't have pens that shoot them
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134723

Ricotez wrote:the game is still inferior to ss13 because although it has meteors, it doesn't have pens that shoot them
This is true.
It also doesnt have based admin moving the roids either. Sad times. Maybe one day they'll get there
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #134736

Okay landing gears explode, connectors explode, sensors are crashing servers, vehicles sinking into planets etc general hysteria hoping for a good bug fix patch.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #134741

Incomptinence wrote:Okay landing gears explode, connectors explode, sensors are crashing servers, vehicles sinking into planets etc general hysteria hoping for a good bug fix patch.
can you weaponize exploding landing gears and connectors? like make a tiny drone that deliberately tries to connect to the connectors on other ships to destroy them?

man my space engineers itch needs scratching, is your server online pas?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #134742

I bet it's possible.

Of course, that drone would just get BTFO by any halfway decent ponint defense, and warheads might actually be cheaper.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #134746

Jazaen wrote:To be honest, planets have ONE thing that no other place has: You can build bases there that are impervious to attack from any but the most specialized spacecraft. Even surface bases will require a special missile platform (or a well aimed Kamikaze attack, which is apparently suprisingly hard to pull off), and subterrean ones will require a drill ship. If you play on a server where you announce the location of your base, well, having it 100 or 1000 meters underground (if that is possible) would be great. Of course, you can't build large ships there, but maybe a large Black Mesa style elevator would work for small ones, and it would be a great place to hoard materials.
Assuming the ammo doesn't despawn on the trip down, it would likely be possible to attack surface bases with gravity cannons much the same as you would a large target in space. Even if the rock shrapnel was to despawn on the way down, a well aimed artificial mass block with a ton of armour blocks could be just as lethal.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #134760

Ricotez wrote: man my space engineers itch needs scratching, is your server online pas?
Yup all up and running :) info up a few posts (or if you're already in the steam group the IP is on there or search for YCH.
Thunder11 wrote: Assuming the ammo doesn't despawn on the trip down, it would likely be possible to attack surface bases with gravity cannons much the same as you would a large target in space. Even if the rock shrapnel was to despawn on the way down, a well aimed artificial mass block with a ton of armour blocks could be just as lethal.
Kinetic missiles. Yeah man! Should work pretty well, wanna try as soon as I manage to launch a satellite
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134810

Waaait, so the server DOESN'T have ramming disabled? This was all just... My lag? Hngggggggg...

Also, well, aiming something down large planets will take a while. You need to aim really well if you plan on dropping this from space/near space, and if it's underground it still might survive quite a bit if you go by the standard maxspeed. It all depends how deep you want to dig, and I presume bases that are 1 km down would be pretty much imprevious to attack from space, with siege drills and assault on the transport tunnel being main ways of reaching it.
I play:
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #134812

Jazaen wrote:You need to aim really well if you plan on dropping this from space/near space
This is why, if it managed to not despawn, I'd prefer to use a heap of stone. Don't need to aim quite so well when you're blanketing a large area in rocky shrapnel.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #134814

Thunder11 wrote:
Jazaen wrote:You need to aim really well if you plan on dropping this from space/near space
This is why, if it managed to not despawn, I'd prefer to use a heap of stone. Don't need to aim quite so well when you're blanketing a large area in rocky shrapnel.
Then it probably won't penetrate the rock. Though it still might damage everything on the surface, so you can get the real siege equipment down.
I play: