Palworld

Talk about video games here
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Palworld

Post by Bepis » #719050

I didn't have much expectations for Palworld but goddamn I am enjoying it with friends. Anyone else got it? It's pokemon with guns, and it's done well enough for its price. I can't recommend it enough.

If anyone is running a dedicated server, for the love of god make sure you're creating backups - right now there's an issue with players leaving a guild (read: party) that corrupts other player's savedata. Lost a day's worth of progress, thankfully it's not so bad.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Re: Palworld

Post by Togopal » #719075

I play the shit out of this game, very faithful to Pokemon while also adding survival to the mix. Very fun early game but it feels like it drops off mid game really quick. The farther you head out from the main area the more empty areas feel, I really hope that these devs keep working on this game. I know its Early Access but many ambitious games like this suffer from development hell.

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #719078

Genuinely expected this to be shovelware and after playing it on Gamepass for two days I think I've... basically extracted everything from the game loop as it exists as I am going to get, so I probably won't play it again, but they have a real game there.
It's sold 7 million units just on Steam in its first week which was unimaginable two weeks ago to be honest.
Bepis

Post by Bepis » #719136

I'm pretty happy that Nintendo isn't trying to fuck with the game. They nuked Pokémon mods for it and haven't touched the game itself. Pretty sure they'd have acted by now if they could win.

Also if you play on your own server/multi-player for the love of god make backups. Apparently if you leave a guild without all members being present it corrupts player saves. Happened to me and 3 others, we said fuck it and started from scratch.

Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #719170

Bepis wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:33 pm I'm pretty happy that Nintendo isn't trying to fuck with the game. They nuked Pokémon mods for it and haven't touched the game itself. Pretty sure they'd have acted by now if they could win.

Also if you play on your own server/multi-player for the love of god make backups. Apparently if you leave a guild without all members being present it corrupts player saves. Happened to me and 3 others, we said fuck it and started from scratch.

Nintendo released an announcement saying they'd be investigating recently, so we'll see if that amounts to anything or not

Bepis

Post by Bepis » #719172

I saw that, but it was a vague response to IP theft - guessing they had to say something for investors or some other bottom line issue. I thought Nintendo was overzealous about protecting their IP, I figured they'd have pulled the trigger now or earlier in development
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #719407

It's not a good game. It does have an addictive loop though.

But yeah, it's an early-access $20 indie game, gotta keep expectations in line.