Subnautica - HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT THING?

Talk about video games here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: Subnautica - HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT THING?

Post by Timbrewolf » #179547

Bottom post of the previous page:

Building a habitat is a great example of how tedious this shit is. I can run around outside looking at my exterior for like 15 seconds before I'm beset by three different predators. If I swim around to avoid them I very quickly have used up half my O2 and need to run back inside the base anyway. I spend more time ducking in and out of this tiny fucking airlock trying to eyeball things from outside than I do actually building or deciding on what to build. (Yes I know you can build from the inside, but it wont ever tell you why you can't place something, or in the case of curved corridors and such it doesn't show you what direction they're turning in until you've placed them, and then you need to deconstruct them from outside)

There's a lot of really cool stuff here I want to explore and play with but that O2 limit, the spawn rate on predators, the pace at which things eat through batteries vs. how complicated it is to make new batteries + the fact that the materials are finite = too much frustration for what it's worth

If it were me I would adjust the rates for things like

Starting oxygen for player 3:00 (up from 45 seconds)
With additional tank 10:00 (up from 105 seconds)
With high capacity tank 20:00 (up from 165 seconds)

Any device with a battery passively recharges over time.
Batteries are just used as construction materials to build electronic devices, not as "ammunition".

And half whatever rate they use for spawning predators. I've swam through biomes so dense with fucking sharks and other shit I start to drop frames. When I turn around and there's four goddamn different assholes chasing me, and then another one clips out of a wall and bites me, it's just fucking broken. I found this fucking wreck, sealed up tight, had to use the laser cutter to open the door, and lo-and-behold there's already a fucking sand shark in there and it lunges out of the wall and bites me. Come the fuck on.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #179577

I guess you could say you're drowning

in sharks
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #179579

I thought there was a fin upgrade that let you recharge whatever device you're currently holding.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #179588

There is.

Going very deep makes you consume more oxygen faster unless you get a rebreather.

As for weapons... meh, I just ram them with my sub then hop out and repair.
The little red fuckers make a very satisfying meaty squelch when you run them over.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #179590

I tend to play with the nitrogen command on, which requires you to watch out for decompression sickness.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #179653

I have a bit of a fear of the deep ocean as well, i think part of it is from seeing emerald weapon puttering around in the distant ocean blackness in FF7. In any case this looks pretty fun and i might grab it. Have the devs made any mention of adding co-op support?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #179655

Multiplayer is going to be complicated and painful, is what I think they said.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #179749

I have agoraphobia. I think I've talked about it before here. Giant, wide open spaces where I have no bearing of distance give me anxiety. I almost drown once as a kid, had to be resuscitated and all that jazz. I don't actually remember it happening but I figure that must have something to do with it.

Outer space is fine. That's cool. There's stars everywhere to see and there's light. No problem.

Some areas of underwater suck total shit. When you're traveling forward and there's a cliff and you can't see anything in front of you because of the density of the water, and you pivot down and look over the cliff and you can't see the bottom.
That shit fucks me up.

Some of my complaints with the game have been tempered a bit after pimping the fuck out of the seamoth. I run sonar, proximity shock, depth mods, and solar charger. It's not so bad getting around everywhere when I have this vehicle right beside me 24/7. For all but the narrowest of cave systems I can just putter on through in my little sub dude. It's mapping sonar is super fucking helpful, and the proximity shock actually kills the shit out of things. I'm guessing I just missed that the balance of the game is very focused on having vehicles at all times, and my attempts to play the game mostly with just the seaglide were running counter to that design.

I also found you can use the propulsion cannon to fire something into a wall and fuck it up pretty good too. Very satisfying. I was also using the stasis rifle in combination with the thermal knife on fish for RULES OF NATURE style murders.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #179769

Power concerns are easily solved with enough NUCLEAR REACTOR.

Seriously, I feel like you shouldn't even bother with the bioreactor, it doesn't even last long enough. Just gather as much quartz and titanium as you need to make solar farms instead until you get a reactor. Uraninite Crystals are rare, but three will make a uranium(And I forgot how many make a rod). Their rarity will make it difficult, but nuclear reactors are baller and seem to last forever.

I haven't had a chance to test Thermal plants in the new version though.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #179776

So what are the new features of the cyclops?

Toggleable internal and external lights
Cameras from the helm
Some collision alert thing
...Lockers that are worse storage solutions than just building normal wall lockers - seriously, wtf? These things are practically useless.

Still no way to change the mods on the docked seamoth? Other than undocking and doing it in the wet
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #179777

Docked on the cyclops, no, you gotta do it wet. In a Moonpool, you just need to aim right.

They also seem to have consolidated the depth mods as an upgradable module rather than a series of them, which allows you to set up a deep diving seamoth without having to stack depth mods. So you can put other stuff on it.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #179941

I had built a starter base in the safe shallows that I had outgrown.
Then I remembered you can just tear everything down for parts and haul it somewhere else in the Cyclops.

This is the result. I'm on the ledge just over the mushroom caves that the signaler points you to.
I thought about building down in the cave systems themselves for that sweet sweet thermal energy but the cyclops wont fit down there and I anticipate them eventually giving us some kind of docking module to recharge the thing with off of your habitat. I may build some thermal generators down on the cave floor and just run powerlines all the way back up.

Currently using a mix of solar farms and bio-energy. I have a two-floor tank filled with Reginalds that I alternatively eat, salt, or chuck into the generator for more juice. It's kinda funny that my entire life revolves around this one fish now. PRAISE REGINALD THE WONDER FISH.

I had a nuclear reactor at my last base but the fuel rods get sucked up even if you're not there doing anything. Just keeping the lights on slowly kills the fuel and then you're off dodging undersea assholes trying to get more. I think one rod is good for only 1000 energy, which is silly because a single Reginald burns for 300. I'm breeding up a gigantic tank of easy energy, that double as pretty good source of food.

Word of warning about aquariums tho: don't put Spadefish in them. There's supposed to be a limit of 10 fish per level of aquarium but Spadefish don't give a fuck. I experienced a catsplosion when returning to my base once. I ended up having to just murder everything and clean out the tank, start over again. There were over 100 of the fuckers stuck in this tiny tube and it was causing my computer to scream.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #179950

Good to know about the reginalds. Didn't realize they give so much power.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #179962

They also give the highest boost to nutrition of all fish.

The hardest part of the whole deal is catching them. Those little fuckers like to MOVE, and they're tiny.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #179983

I will still use nuclear power because 'MURICA. But i'll keep the reggies in mind for the backup generator.

Still, I like having the battery of solar panels because it actually makes sense. Once I get a terraformer i'll have to slap together a rock mount for the panels. A separate foundation plate, if not connected to a base somehow, counts as a base. Which means the damn panels start powering the the foundation and don't seem to respect my attempts to use power transmitters to transmit power to the main base.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #179984

Thermal power then I extend the base up a ridiculous distance like a giraffe.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #179985

Can't you just build the thermal generators and then use power transmitters to link it back up?

I feel like eventually I'll perfect a blueprint for an observation outpost style micro-hab and plunk a few of them down here and there. Probably just a scanner room off of a two-tier multiroom that's got a biogenerator on one floor and an aquarium on the other. Whenever I'm in the neighborhood I can hop on down, throw some fish in the tank, fire up the scanner and go looking for goodies. When I leave the generator eventually runs out and the fish resupply themselves.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #179990

ThanatosRa wrote:A separate foundation plate, if not connected to a base somehow, counts as a base.
This is true, and the single most annoying piece of shit I've encountered in this game.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #179996

An0n3 wrote:Can't you just build the thermal generators and then use power transmitters to link it back up?
I was really keen to make my first moon pool and water filters, once the base was in place I just sorta expanded it.

Well looks like I need to restart to get the new terrain so gonna do a new save.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #180049

For Anon3 and his battery problems:
Wasn't there some way to recharge the things? I vaguely recall seeing that in a video
Also stream this shit sometime, it's amusing to watch

Also also waiting for multiplayer until I start giving a shit about this
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180130

Yeah I made a pair of the swim fins. It's kinda neat except:

1) Having an item in hand while swimming is slow as fuck
2) The fins are already the slowest
3) It really only works for things you would have out while exploring anyway, unless you like just pointlessly swimming laps around things to recharge your laser cutter

Basically for the Flashlight and Stasis Rifle, and Seaglide it works great. For everything else it doesn't help much.
The Seaglide is kinda funny, since you swim while using it it decreases the rate at which it consumes power, and even when it hits 0 charge you can still zoom around with it (though the flashlight on it goes apeshit).
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #180145

I can do the thermal thing. I just don't like packing up everything and moving. I prefer to establish multiple self contained bases.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180161

I could stream some tonight if people want to see a tour of my shit and some cave exploration
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #180178

The game is brutally hard until you get the seamoth and then boringly easy, it wacks me out.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #180181

Yeah I do wish the game didn't eventually devolve into mutual immunity.

Though the seamoth still has weaknesses.
XSI

Post by XSI » #180473

Define "Tonight"

But I'd watch if it fits my sleep schedule
My sleep schedule is fucked right now. Fucked harder than a cute medbay doc who can't say no during the slowest 3 hour rounds
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180475

What exactly is the best way to progress early game? I am living out of the escape pod catching fish with my hands for food/water. I have a good bit of titanium and quartz, and build a small airtank to make my dives easier. I don't really want to use a guide if i can help it, but i am having a bit of a hard time finding resources besides quartz and titanium
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #180507

Find parts to seamoth
Build seamoth
Head far south to the really fucking steep cliffs that go down to the abyss (grand reef is the area name iirc)
Get moonpool parts
Build moonpool
Upgrade seamoth with solar charger and depth upgrades.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180561

Stay away from the far north, the east, and the far west.

If you do those things you should be relatively safe.
Malkevin is prettymuch spot on though, the seamoth and its depth upgrades open up the game's true potential.

1) Build O2 tank
2) Build scanner
3) Run around scanning the shit out of those things that look like safes, and any other random debris you find (99.9999% of the debris you find will just be titanium salvage, but not always)
4) Consider setting up a proper habitat early on so you have a place to gather food/water without having to run around for it. An aquarium setup early on with a bunch of airsacks in it will serve both purposes.
5) Build seaglide and use it to find seamoth, or just skip to seamoth if you find it first.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #180689

Biggest trap I am going to avoid this time is the stupid glitchy storage boxes. Just making a habitat and putting a locker in is so much better and recyclable and probably right next to a crafting station.

Also fairly certain they were in part responsible for slingshotting my escape pod into the nether realm in my last game.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #180690

Wyzack, get your seamoth, set up a base somewhere and a moon pool set up, and then make a radiation suit and explore the crashed ship

That's your early game, basically
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180711

I didn't even bother going to the crashed ship until I had the Cyclops.

The hardest part to get is the engine because
Spoiler:
The mountains are reaper territory.
That thing is so super comfy though. If I could install some kind of reactor on it so it would generate it's own power I wouldn't bother building habitats and just live out of the giant mobile sea-home. I've installed six big lockers and three wall lockers in mine for a ridiculous amount of interior storage space. I can deconstruct my entire home habitat, pack it in there, and transport it anywhere I want to go if need be.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #180719

I thought the machinery update meant bio reactors and nuclear reactors were now an option on cyclops. Maybe I just parsed that wrong.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180721

The only way to power the cyclops is still replacing the power cells in it as they burn out.

There is a certain module in a certain location that will drastically slow the rate at which the cells are consumed but that's as good as it gets.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #180798

Build a radation suit first and then explore the crashed ship zone, lots of useful equipment there - the swim isn't all that dangerous either as long as you stay on a line between your pod and the crashed ship
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180830

My worst OH SHIT moment to date was
Spoiler:
when I was scrounging around the mountain area for cyclops engine parts and kept hearing Reaper roars. I was losing my fucking mind. Then I saw one swimming around in a circuit at the bottom of a basin, with an engine part on a nearby ridge. I left my seamoth behind and just slowly swam to the engine bit freaking the fuck out the whole way hoping it wouldn't spot/aggro me.
and
Spoiler:
The first time I found a cave entrance. I was floating by over a ridge and made the mistake of looking down into it and realized I had just crossed over a portal to the abyss. Goodtimes anxiety attacks and all but I forced myself to slowly descend into it. I saw the tops of some mushrooms and some other shit and realized how huge an expanse there was down there and just noped the fuck out. Couldn't go any further then. Have since been back and explored all over the place.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #180937

Honestly one of your first priorities should be building the radsuit, exploring the crash site for supplies and salvage, then when properly set up with a welder, go back to the ship and repair the core. It does indeed take only three days to dissipate the radiation so you can explore for longer near the ship.

I tell you what though, I don't get disturbed with Agoraphobic or... whatever you call the deep water phobia, but I did have a short jolt when
Spoiler:
finding the inactive lavatube the first time. Holy shit was it expansive. Once I got the dimensions I was perfectly find and only had to leave because I was hungry and dehydrated and was full of salvage and minerals rather than the food and water I'd need to properly explore. But damn dude, I kept expecting some kind of monster. I had actual adrenaline while in there, I loved it. I still need to fully explore it, but i Happened to have a beacon and dropped it near the entrance in case I go back.
I've also taken the habit of always taking a cargo hold on the Seamoth and stuffing my radsuit in it in case I need it.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #180995

Went to the crash site, didn't find much except a few batteries in cases and some angry predators. Also found the last salt chunk I need for a welder so i guess that is not nothing. Have a seaglide as well. What do I do next, just scavenge blueprints? I have a small base in the shallows with a fab and med kit machine powered by solar, but the only weapon I have is my knife. Killing the barracuda things in the kelp is fucking hard so i usually avoid them
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #180996

Yeah don't 1v1 those things, not worth it.

You can tame them temporarily by feeding them fish. Have one in your hand and left click on them while they are trying to maul the shit out of you. You will probably still get bitten but it makes them cut it out for a short while.

Be aware that your knife has a limited durability. It does eventually break. I think it's kind of shitty that it's the one tool that does that. Oh well.

But yeah the game is basically blueprint collector 2000. Each biome has new stuff in it, so if you think you've got everything from where you are go explore around and fine a new place to loot.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #180997

If you tame those fucks they tend to bring you metal, by the way.
Bringing you metal also means they knock their teeth out biting it - you can use this to farm stalker teeth: just don't smelt some of the scrap and drop it near them.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #181005

Well start to my new game has been pretty smooth because I took anons advice and made a dedicated airsack tank.

Before I was pretty much treating tanks like storage computers in pokemon for me to catch em all in.

Wish I could have more complex large tanks than a straight tube, a little side to side action or being able to make entirely dedicated multipurpose room sized tank, join em all up make your own ocean in the ocean I guess.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #181176

Apparently you can grow razor tooth eggs in your large tank to hatch a tame razor tooth, which you can then release into the wild and it'll be your friend straight away

Tried it last version but I had no success, egg would hatch but I didn't get no babies.
Only egg I successfully hatched was spade fish, which would then lay more eggs and hatch it more spade fish
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #181229

Why can I not eat those fucks? Seriously the number of animals you can not eat after you kill them is insane.

I got a few gas bags in a small aquarium in my tiny base, how long until they start making babby?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #181236

Poisonous flesh.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #181246

Malkevin wrote:Apparently you can grow razor tooth eggs in your large tank to hatch a tame razor tooth, which you can then release into the wild and it'll be your friend straight away

Tried it last version but I had no success, egg would hatch but I didn't get no babies.
Only egg I successfully hatched was spade fish, which would then lay more eggs and hatch it more spade fish
No. If you release it into the wild it immediately turns around and starts trying to kill you. I experimented with this a while ago. All the predators you could breed immediately grow to full size and aggro you when being released outside the tank. I bred a stalker, a sand shark, and a bone shark. Each one of them immediately wanted to eat me.

Had a run in with a Reaper last night on stream. Yelled real loud and ran away. Apparently I had lost track of where the fuck we had gone, wandered all the way over to the dunes. It was nighttime and I was in the Cyclops, which is really fucking hard to see around in and has shitty ass lights. Was trying to get to the Seatreader Path but got all fucked up banging around in the dark.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #181247

Shame, I wanna tame stalkers. Sea-dogs FTW.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
XSI

Post by XSI » #181438

An0n3 wrote: Had a run in with a Reaper last night on stream. Yelled real loud and ran away. Apparently I had lost track of where the fuck we had gone, wandered all the way over to the dunes. It was nighttime and I was in the Cyclops, which is really fucking hard to see around in and has shitty ass lights. Was trying to get to the Seatreader Path but got all fucked up banging around in the dark.
Seamoth, the tiny one wasn't it? And if I recall right you ran right into a cave afterward too
But yeah, would it kill to get some actually strong lights on those subs? Being able to actually see where you're going would help a ton
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #181865

How do I get to the grassy plateaus safely? I am kinda trying all directions but i get panicked as soon as the water gets a little deep
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #181888

There's one some grassy plateaus I think due south of the pod. you'll pass through a kelp forest and then its on the other side
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #181906

Also how do you orient yourself. Is there a compass i am missing?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #181907

You can build a compass, yeah, or just know that the crash site is in the east and the wreck itself points NE
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: