Subnautica - HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT THING?

Talk about video games here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Re: Subnautica - HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT THING?

Post by Timbrewolf » #181907

Bottom post of the previous page:

You can build a compass, yeah, or just know that the crash site is in the east and the wreck itself points NE
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #181960

You need magnetite to build a compass, its one of the silly things really because you won't find any of it until you find mountain island, which is a huge distance to the north, and then you'll find more than you will ever need
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #181998

Magnetite also pops up in the blood kelp zone and mushroom caves. Not sure you can actually get deep enough to reach either until you've made a few structural upgrades to the 'moth or Cylcops.

If you're having troubles with that remember the best strategy for exploring like that early on is to lower the Seamoth to like 198m or so (it's un-upgraded crush depth is 200m but you don't want to idle there) and then get out of it and keep diving with the Seaglide while wearing a rebreather.

The modification station is a good target to try and build as early as possible because it helps with a lot of this. The upgraded airtank gives you more outside time and the charging fins let the Seaglide run longer.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182021

Just got the gravity rifle thingy while i was looking for seamoth parts. My situation right now is that I need to scour the grassy plateau for blueprints to get the seamoth, but it is pretty close to 100 meters below the surface for a bunch of it and even using the seaglide i need to keep going up for air/going back to base to heal from the goddamn sandsharks. I feel like i am not making any progress
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #182023

The red grassy area is for the Cyclops parts, sea moth you find in the starting area and sea weed
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182033

Really? Wiki says the sea moth parts are in the plateau. Also i have scoured the starting area and all I got was solar panels and the bioreactor
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182044

Doubleposting for what does the lifepod computer system actually do? My game is bugged so that i cannot repair it, apparently the only way to fix this bug is to start over. Not going to bother unless it is incredibly vital
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #182083

Old bug, reload the game should let you weld it.

It just turns on the lights inside and maybe needs to be done to power the radio, apparently it also powers a gravity anchor thing that stops it floating off.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182084

I mean i have re-loaded the game every time i resume playing and it is still borked. If that is all it does i do not feel too bad leaving it the way it is
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #182139

Wyzack wrote:Just got the gravity rifle thingy while i was looking for seamoth parts. My situation right now is that I need to scour the grassy plateau for blueprints to get the seamoth, but it is pretty close to 100 meters below the surface for a bunch of it and even using the seaglide i need to keep going up for air/going back to base to heal from the goddamn sandsharks. I feel like i am not making any progress
Consider just taking along more air tanks
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182161

I can only have one equipped at a time I thought?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182226

Yes. It used to be you could make a bunch of airtanks and just have them in your inventory but now you can only have one at a time. XSI's info is outdated.

The lifepod computer doesn't really do dick. Don't worry about fixing it if you can't. Requires a welder, which you'll want to have anyway since you'll eventually need it to buff out all the dents you'll accrue on your seamoth.
Wyzack wrote:Just got the gravity rifle thingy while i was looking for seamoth parts. My situation right now is that I need to scour the grassy plateau for blueprints to get the seamoth, but it is pretty close to 100 meters below the surface for a bunch of it and even using the seaglide i need to keep going up for air/going back to base to heal from the goddamn sandsharks. I feel like i am not making any progress
I know that feel. It sucks but you just have to power through it. Once you get the seamoth the game opens up a bit more, since you'll have a portable oxygen resupply. Subnautica is centered around jumping in and out of the Seamoth or Cyclops to explore, if not just never leaving those things at all. You prettymuch only ever get out and swim around to just pick something up, then jump right back into the subs. The gameplay before you get either of those really fucking sucks, no bones about it, since you're constantly playing relay between the surface and the bottom of the sea so that you don't drown. If it is really fucking kill you, consider making some beacons and then finding where the brain corals are that spit out oxygen bubbles, then marking them as you explore an area so you at least aren't running to and from the surface all the time.

But yeah, it sucks. If there was some way of creating O2 refills at least, or just not having a fuck-tardedly short O2 supply for your tanks it would suck less. But as it is it sucks. It's bullshit.

Like really, the game before you get the Seamoth is like a cruel joke compared to what the game is like once you have it. It's like playing a game before and after you get your double-jump.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #182231

The extra tanks were a waste of time and a trap anyway. It slowed your movement speed down massively to carry them.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #182253

Updoots!

Finally got the goddamn seamoth! And the modification station! and a water filtration machine! I want to trick my shit out but i understand that requires the moonpool, and i already have a cyclops hull scan so maybe that would be best to get first? Really whereabouts should i be heading from here?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #182265

Moonpool. The Seamoth is overall a lot more useful than the Cyclops really is. The Cyclops is good at really only one thing: exploring areas you know Reapers hang out in. It doesn't take damage from them, but they will still charge it and scare the shit out of you. They can bully it around, so be careful where you take it. I've heard stories of people getting murdered by them still when the Reaper bullies the Cyclops below its crush depth and the whole thing sinks. Doubtful how likely that is to actually happen but I dunno. I avoid Reapers no matter what. I see one and I immediately Alt+F4 caliber pussy the fuck out. FULL NOPE.

The Seamoth can actually sneak around a lot better, though, so there's that. It's infinitely more maneuverable and faster. You can give it functional upgrades like sonar, solar cells, armor, static shock fields, torpedo tubes, etc.
The Cyclops is big, slow, but almost impossible to damage.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #182377

An0n3 wrote:It's like playing a game before and after you get your double-jump.
*violent flashbacks to metroid prime*
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183073

Woah another update.

Beds n chargers maybe something to do with treaders.

Aw shit new game start cinematic.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183088

Holy fucking shit this updates fixes one major and one minor complaint I had.

Batteries aren't completely fucking worthless disposables anymore and now we have a way (if I'm interpreting this correctly) of advancing the clock ahead so I'm not stuck sitting in a chair waiting for fucking night to end.

With a power cell charger you can now keep the Cyclops topped up using your habitats power generation.
So fucking based god damn.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183102

Apparently we are back on multitank (with greatly reduced capacity per tank) and the seaglide basically needs a charging upgraded fins and a bevy of batteries to function properly since its like using 1% charge a second or something absurd.
Cluttergeddon.

On the other hand the seamoth is still amazing so now it's more like no reason to even carry the seaglide no more.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183108

If you're looking for the battery charger
Spoiler:
I found the blueprints for it in the Grassy Plains. Right outside where my habitat is was enough parts to get it.
If you're looking for the cell charger
Spoiler:
I found blueprints for it in the Mushroom Forest kinda NW of the crash site
Pro-tip:

If you have the moonpool you can use the Seamoth as a ghetto cell charger for the Cyclops. Empty all the cells out of the Cyclops, bring them to the moonpool, and swap them through the Seamoth one by one until they're all filled, then plug them back into the Cyclops.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #183122

>gas torpedoes

I am now a very happy man.

All right, testing results.
Gas torpedoes are nice if you want to piss predators off and make them run away, which vortex torpedoes already do.
What vortex torpedoes don't do, which they should, is trap their victims for a little longer and also suck in other projectiles, if only so I can put the gas to use.
Either that or sonar-based locking/proximity triggers, because hitting anything at a distance is a PITA.
Also, electro-pulse system is ridiculously powerful now. I don't think it was that way before.
Finally, creative mode has its first few mech upgrade modules available from the Moon Pool upgrade station. Hype is go.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183196

Does the Exosuit still look like a weird refrigerator?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #183214

I hope that finally gets finished and is necessary for plumping the deepest depths of the sea. Seems like crush depth doesn't really actually hurt at all.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183220

God damn this game gives me such awful anxiety. Like i know what areas are reaper territory but the wide open spaces that end in cloudiness below 100 meters really set me on edge, even in the seamoth
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #183224

Between playing this game and reading The Living Sea I really wanna take up diving.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183226

Wyzack wrote:God damn this game gives me such awful anxiety. Like i know what areas are reaper territory but the wide open spaces that end in cloudiness below 100 meters really set me on edge, even in the seamoth
Yeah, I'm finding that traveling around and marking biomes with beacons does a fuckton to alleviate that.

Once you get a sense for where those fuckers are always being able to tell where you are on the map relative to the other biomes lets you breathe a lot easier.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #183247

The only time I get it bad is inside the lava tube.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183350

I have my seamoth floating at 200m in the grand reef and i am doing dives trying to find the fucking moon pool fragments but all i have found so far is two nuclear reactor fragments. I have an expanded O2 tank and rebreather but still cannot make any sort of headway and not suffocate. Fucking shit i just want to dive my damn sub jesus
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183351

Poor perpetually spinning reefback, keep at it buddy you'll be the beyblade champion someday.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183352

Like seriously this can not be the intended way to do it, what am i missing?
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183354

It basically sorta is maybe stuff is fucked up from them reinstating multitank and slashing tank capacity by half or more. Try sea gliding down and and air bladdering up and carrying more tanks. Before the cyclops had a blueprint I basically skipped to it to get down there.

The other areas you can supposedly find it are the mountain and crash site (more dangerous parts) so basically its go deep or dodge reapers.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183355

Yeah the only thing about this new patch I don't like

They re-added the ability to fill your inventory up with extra airtanks and cut the capacity of each tank in half.

YEAH SURE GIVING UP FOUR SLOTS OF MY INVENTORY FOR 30 SECONDS MORE AIR AND SLOWER MOVEMENT SOUNDS FUCKING GREAT
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183430

Also wyzack do you have the rebreather?

Oh and the seaglide is in a much better state than I thought once you have a AA team of like 4 batteries or more and a recharger with a little bit of care. So just use the glide and seamoth instead of crippletanks.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #183435

Just did a test run of the Exosuit on the experimental build.

If you've played Mass Effect 3's Leviathan DLC, this is the kinda feel I'm getting.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183447

BUT WHAT IT DO

Is it still just a goofy black wreck or is it actually the suit now?

Spawned one for myself

HOLY SHIT SO MUCH POTENTIAL
STOMPING AROUND THE SEAS IN MY MECHA
RIPPING AND TEARING DIFFERENT HOSTILE LIFEFORMS
JUMP JETS AND SHIT

IT FITS IN THE FUCKING CYCLOPS AUGH
THIS IS SO COOL
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183452

Man the vertical leap on this thing is actually pretty potent. If you fall down into some deep caves you might be fucked but it seems like it wouldn't have too much trouble leaping down into shallower caves and jumping back out.

The wiki says the maximum crush depth with upgrades is fucking 1700m, which is pretty ridiculous. Our modern suits only do 700m. I don't think I've ever gone any deeper than maybe 400 or 500 something meters in the game at all because I'm a gigantic pussy, but being in the Exosuit makes me feel a little more confident.

I think maybe because I'm actually walking on the ground...? I don't know.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183457

I wouldn't be surprised if a society with materials and nano technology to the point they literally can make wall mounted replicators could make an improved diving suit.

Weirdest thing is the actual player character rather than the tech, lung capacity of a gnat, personally impervious to pressure and somehow hemorrhages blood if he eats his greens too fast.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183461

I don't care what materials you're working with. The physics of what is going on at that amount of pressure is fucking ridiculous. Here's a cool story from the guy who invented the Bathysphere, Dr. William Beebe. He sent a prototype down 3000 feet (900 or so meters) and then brought it back up on deck. The following happened:
Spoiler:
"It was apparent that something was very wrong, and as the bathysphere swung clear I saw a needle of water shooting across the face of the port window. Weighing much more than she should have, she came over the side and was lowered to the deck. Looking through one of the good windows I could see that she was almost full of water. There were curious ripples on the top of the water, and I knew that the space above was filled with air, but such air as no human being could tolerate for a moment. Unceasingly the thin stream of water and air drove obliquely across the outer face of the quartz. I began to unscrew the giant wingbolt in the center of the door and after the first few turns, a strange high singing came forth, then a fine mist, steam -like in consistency, shot out, a needle of steam, then another and another. This warned me that I should have sensed when I looked through the window that the contents of the bathysphere were under terrific pressure. I cleared the deck in front of the door of everyone, staff and crew. One motion picture camera was placed on the upper deck and a second one close to, but well to one side of the bathysphere. Carefully, little by little, two of us turned the brass handles, soaked with the spray, and I listened as the high, musical tone of impatient confined elements gradually descended the scale, a quarter tone or less at each slight turn. Realizing what might happen; we leaned back as far as possible from the line of fire. Suddenly without the slightest warning, the bolt was torn from our hands and the mass of heavy metal shot across the deck like a shell from a gun. The trajectory was almost straight and the brass bolt hurtled into the steel winch thirty feet across the deck and sheared a half-inch notch gouged out by the harder metal. This was followed by a solid cylinder of water, which slackened after a while to a cataract, pouring out of the hole in the door, some air mingled with the water looking like hot steam. Instead of compressed air shooting through ice-cold water. If I had been in the way, I would have been decapitated. "
At 1700m of depth you're looking at something like 170 atmospheres of Earth pressure on you. 2,465 PSI.

That's roughly a Honda Civic per square inch of surface area.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183466

Even the fact that your dude can get out of the sub and swim around at like 500m of depth in this game is kinda wacky.

Even modern nuclear submarines don't go that deep.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183468

It is nuts but some animals do that sort of thing on a daily basis it can be done. Oh and John Seaman is also immune to the bends on that note. Hell the game is designed to basically maximise it I honestly hope they spliced our guy with a sperm whale or something.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #183474

Wyzack wrote:Like seriously this can not be the intended way to do it, what am i missing?
Instead of going down there and searching for a few seconds every time, build a tiny habitat to refill your oxygen in
That should save on a LOT of oxygen in the long run. So long as it doesn't flood
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183488

If you have a fuckton of titanium and nothing better to do you can create a ton of pipes using the fabricator and then build them down from the surface.

It's a 3:5 ratio for titanium:pipe. They're kinda smallish though, so you'll need a lot of them.

XSI's idea is really the better way about it. Just make a small one-room base and slap a solar cell on it as long as you aren't super deep. If you are, you'll have to use alternative energy. A biogenerator that you just catch a fish or two and toss inside works.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #183491

An0n3 wrote:Man the vertical leap on this thing is actually pretty potent. If you fall down into some deep caves you might be fucked but it seems like it wouldn't have too much trouble leaping down into shallower caves and jumping back out.
Reminder that there's an upgrade to boost the thrusters further.
Spoiler:
Reminder that you'll need the exosuit to fight the Sea Dragon Leviathan.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183492

Pipes are pretty bad, don't waste titanium on them.

Also habitats are airless without power so for a deep sea happy hut you probably would want a bio reactor. Concept alone seems a bit shaky to me deeper you go the more expensive it gets since you will need more reinforcement as you go deeper. Although if you build it near the smoke stacks in the grand reef you basically have an infinite 24/7 power source at your fingertips makes for dead simple base building let me tell you.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183531

So after busting my ass for literally an hour and a half and suffocating to death twice i only had one piece. Just said fuck it, debugged my oxygen on and grabbed the rest. Still took me a long ass time to find the other pieces. Damn that was annoying.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183589

Decided to try going to the Koosh zone to get bits for the seamoth upgrade station. Go through the grassy plateau to get to the mushroom forest. See the first mushroom tree, feel pretty safe. All of the fucking sudden a goddamn reaper leviathan magically appears infont and below me maybe 20 meters away. I jump like a motherfucker and immediately zoom away as fast as I fucking possibly can. I mean i get that not every area can be completely safe but when i nearly die because the game has such a garbage render distance that is pretty lame. Luckily he decided not to follow me
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183593

Yeah, the game's rendering engine needs a lot of work.

Even on my GTX 980, on low settings, there's still a ton of sudden pop up and my computer screams a lot of the time while playing.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183614

I finally manned up and dashed past the area where i saw the reaper and am in the mushroom forest now. Got some cool blueprints but I am having some difficulty finding the Koosh zone. I think i am heading in the right direction but there is a really steep drop off and the wiki says part of the koosh zone is at 140 meters. Do i need to cross this horrible trench thingy to get there? I am just scared of more reapers, being this close to the wreck and all
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #183619

I swear the pop in has gotten worse in recent updates.

Koosh zone? Just follow the mushrooms I say they kiss at some point. Well at one of the forests at least.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #183675

If you went to the mushroom forest to the north, the koosh zone is to the east. there's a bigass drop down to it.

Be warned the koosh zone is full of angry assholes. Nothing as big and bad as the reaper but there are those shocking eel things and sharks all over the place.

Reminded of our earlier talk about underwater physics: I'm surprised the repulsion cannon doesn't just wreck whatever you shoot it at. The concussive effect it produces, combined with the way water transfers energy, should result in anything you fire it at getting really fucked up.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #183711

An0n3 wrote:If you went to the mushroom forest to the north, the koosh zone is to the east. there's a bigass drop down to it.

Be warned the koosh zone is full of angry assholes. Nothing as big and bad as the reaper but there are those shocking eel things and sharks all over the place.

Reminded of our earlier talk about underwater physics: I'm surprised the repulsion cannon doesn't just wreck whatever you shoot it at. The concussive effect it produces, combined with the way water transfers energy, should result in anything you fire it at getting really fucked up.
Maybe not the current propulsion cannon, but I bet the one the mech gets will.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: