Prison Architect, or, How Security Players See SS13

Talk about video games here
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Prison Architect, or, How Security Players See SS13

Post by Ikarrus » #127342

So it's finally out of early access and I went and picked it up.

It's a very well-made management simulator with tons of depth and variety. Haven't had a management sim this good in ages, and this one scratches all of those itches.

It's very easy to become obsessive and lose entire days to it. I start playing it and next thing I know, hours have passed, and my neck is sore.

And I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to playing with all the different features and curveballs the game throws at you.

I'm also really liking the Grant system. It's a brilliant way to give the player direction as well as a vehicle for progression.

Here's my current prison. It's shit because I'm using it to learn, but I'm having a blast.

They also won't stop getting into fights in the Canteen. I've posted more guards there now, and I'm considering doing a full shakedown for weapons soon.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Prison Architect, or, How Security Players See SS13

Post by Zilenan91 » #127346

I know that there was a WWII POW mod that I quite enjoyed. It also made bunk building super duper efficient because instead of building individual cells for all your inmates you just built little 2x2 bunk blocks with no walls between them, with the 1x2 bunk taking up half of it.

Also that's a decent layout. If I want to make a secure prison, what I do is make this massive cell block in the middle of the map, and since I play with random structures on, sometimes appropriate those with subsidiary generators, offices, armories, redundant walls outside the main prison, etc. on the outside with 1 or 2 dog patrols sniffing things out.

Though what I most love about this game is that you can make your prisons in different ways. You can go full nazi and hire only armed guards, so one fuck up = dead, or you can be a super comfy cool prison that actually tries to do good to your inmates instead of treating them like subhuman trash.

After downloading a mod that makes it so too many deaths don't end your game or give you negative money, it's fun as fuck making supermax prisons that force inmates to get in constant fights and start riots with your guards, only to get btfo'd by gun lines. For extra fun, there are some mods that increase the frequency of prisoner arrivals, and deadly contraband, so you can literally recreate Revolution mode in Prison Architect.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #127359

If you've ever played The Escapist, I actually remade one of the prisons from there in Prison Architect: You can get Fhurst Peak Correctional Facility for Prison Architect on the workshop. :D

I've been following Prison Architect for about 2 years, since Alpha 12 or so, revisiting it every month when they release an update. This game provided the most fun alpha experiences I've ever had. I have 120 hours in it, which is a lot for me and I absolutely recommend it. :D
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #127371

nanotrasen mod when?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #127372

Someone with a heck of a lot of free time, who also has an affinity for the copy-paste function, should get on it :D

Here are the tile sets :D
Spoiler:
And here's how you do it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/di ... 074614517/
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #127373

So you can just copy+paste sprites from DMM into these image files and bam you've got SS13 Prison Edition?

Reminds me of my ss13 graphics mod on the old forum I made for that rougelike zombie game.

E: I can see it now, the Dogs can be Beepsky.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #127374

not as easy as copypasting unless you copypaste EVERYTHING, else the styles don't match up

well not like the styles inside SS13 match up but
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #127375

It would not be hard, just very time consuming for something that may not even match up. Considering the big sprite size differences.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #127379

Well, you can also help yourself with the objects.spritebank file.

That has one row per object, so like the box (top left object) has the row:

Code: Select all

BEGIN "[i 40]"     Name Box  x 0  y 0  w 2  h 2  RotateType 0  TopAligned false  END
The file is 894 lines long tho, which is probably the number of sprites in the game :D
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #127446

There would be some sprites you'd have to custom make, like the guards because their models are kinda weird, but yeah, you should be able to make an SS13 mod for this given time with wizard, Ops, changeling, and traitor inmates. You could also make it so the armed guards use lasers instead of shotguns but I have no idea how hard that would be to code.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #127876

can we get this guy to review spessmens

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/06/we-as ... architect/
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #127887

He has a few interesting comments about prison life, but the "review" itself was led by someone who doesn't even know how to play the game and in fact they get stuck trying to progress past the tutorial stage and end up speculating on what the rest of the game could be like instead.

So no thanks.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?