WOLVES, ARISEN!

Talk about video games here
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

WOLVES, ARISEN!

Post by Timbrewolf » #145619

Untitled.png
It's happening. I'm surprised how excited I am to play this all over again. I never did the Dark Arisen stuff in the original game (I didn't even finish the game, for that matter) but this release is a convenient excuse to replay this game.

What the fuck is it?

Capcom made a third-person hack and slash fantasy game by pulling together internal talents responsible for games like Devil May Cry and Breath of Fire. If you've ever played the old Dungeons and Dragons arcade games, it's kiiiiiiiinda like they dug up that license, made it 3D and single-player in a massively open world. So expect to be a medieval fantasy fightan man doing CUH-RAZY style attacks and combos on monsters.

My major complaints about the console release were the graphics fuzzy-ness (fixed on PC via better aliasing and removing shitty filters) and the dodgy framerate (again, PC gon' give it to ya) so this should be fucking sweeeeeeeet.

[youtube]04qJU98XQkk[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: WOLVES, ARISEN!

Post by Wyzack » #145620

Played a very small amount of it on xbox. Everyone talks about how good it is but in my opinion the minions thing was pretty wierd and the whole climbing all over monsters like an overzealous whore to fight them seemed retarded
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145627

It's very fast and very flashy. If you're expecting the typical swords and sorcery game or a Souls-paced game you'll probably be disappointed.

If the idea of Dungeons and Dragons combined with Devil May Cry sounds good, though, you'll dig this.

Handy chart for you first-timers:

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145630

I thought this looked cool when it came out, but I didn't get the chance to play it since I'm exclusively a PC man. And Anon3's recommendations haven't steered me wrong so far.

Normally I don't preorder on principle, buuuut I might make an exception for a remake since I already know exactly what I'm getting.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #145631

Ye looks interesting. I'll need to pirate first to check out the performance, and if it'll play well on kbm.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145632

It's not perfect. No game is, but the flaws this game has it really beats you over the fucking head with. Thankfully they're not many and I found them easy enough to ignore:

1) No fast travel around a gigantic map (you do eventually get a thing that helps with this somewhat)
2) Incredibly repetitive dialog. Your pawns never shut the fuck up.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145633

Bet you someone makes a mod that shuts up the pawns.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145649

i'm gonna make hedwig algebra my pawn, like i did on xbox
Braincake
Byond Username: Braincake

Post by Braincake » #145664

An0n3 wrote:1) No fast travel around a gigantic map (you do eventually get a thing that helps with this somewhat)
2) Incredibly repetitive dialog. Your pawns never shut the fuck up.
According to the FAQ on Steam, they added stuff to the PC version specifically for these things; more and easier-to-use fast travel stuff, and an option to control pawn dialogue.

Personally, I watched some gameplay way back when and thought it looked quite enjoyable, except for the whole no-PC-version thing. Given that it's now finally on PC, with some improvements, all DLC, and at a reasonable price to boot (seriously, who keeps thinking €70 for a game is normal), this is the first game I've pre-ordered in years. Here's to hope it won't disappoint.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145667

Super Aggro Crag wrote:i'm gonna make hedwig algebra my pawn, like i did on xbox
I'll make my pawn Guts because why not.
Warrior is decent for them.

Not sure what class I'll want to play as Arisen though. On PS3 I ended up as an Assassin and had a lot of fun with it. I think I'll end up going Magic Archer this time for PEW PEW PEW.

Something to keep in mind: the classes you level up influence your stat distribution. If you spend the whole game leveling up as FIGHTAN classes and then decide to swap to Mage -> Sorcerer you wont do as much damage with your spells as someone who just poured all those levels into Sorcerer.

It's not so bad that you should panic and start micromanaging the levels you're going to allocate for your first character but it is something to think about especially if you want to use the hybrid classes.

EDIT: Actually maybe I'll do Magic Knight and let my pawn be a Ranger. I forgot how ridiculous they can be.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #145672

Climbing up a gigantic monster to kick its eyeballs down and out of its anus is what games like this exist for, get out of here with that pussy shockwave Dark Souls combat
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145674

Everything in this game is so fun compared to how dull it is in other games.

Being a ranger means charging up one bigass arrow shot that you then gain control of and steer across the battlefield directly into a dragon's eyeball.

The magic spells aren't just shitty little fireballs but like huge fucking tornadoes and shit you summon that pick up dudes and fling them all over the place.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145676

An0n3 wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:i'm gonna make hedwig algebra my pawn, like i did on xbox
I'll make my pawn Guts because why not.
Warrior is decent for them.

Not sure what class I'll want to play as Arisen though. On PS3 I ended up as an Assassin and had a lot of fun with it. I think I'll end up going Magic Archer this time for PEW PEW PEW.

Something to keep in mind: the classes you level up influence your stat distribution. If you spend the whole game leveling up as FIGHTAN classes and then decide to swap to Mage -> Sorcerer you wont do as much damage with your spells as someone who just poured all those levels into Sorcerer.

It's not so bad that you should panic and start micromanaging the levels you're going to allocate for your first character but it is something to think about especially if you want to use the hybrid classes.

EDIT: Actually maybe I'll do Magic Knight and let my pawn be a Ranger. I forgot how ridiculous they can be.
the guts armor got removed
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #145677

Wait wut fuckin' why?

Checked:

You're right they say licensing issues got that shit pulled.
That sucks.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #145733

An0n3 wrote:Wait wut fuckin' why?

Checked:

You're right they say licensing issues got that shit pulled.
That sucks.
i guess you could say that the guts armor

was put on a boat
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145857

I caved and preordered. Probably gonna play a straight wizard for my first character, then an assassin. Unless someone thinks I should do it in the opposite order for some reason.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145963

you can't be an assassin first you stupid fuck it's a hybrid class fucking a
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #145968

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't be an assassin first you stupid fuck it's a hybrid class fucking a
I know it's a hybrid class, I mean I'm going to play through the game once doing wizard things, then again going strider and fighter into assassin because of how the level-up system works.

god learn 2 reading comprehension u shit
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145981

Some Retard wrote: Unless someone thinks I should do it in the opposite order for some reason.
im pointing out you can't do it in the opposite order you shitgargling pissmop.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #145987

he clearly states that first he will play a wizard and then on the second playthrough he will play an assassin....
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146022

Huge Moron wrote:
Some Retard wrote: Unless someone thinks I should do it in the opposite order for some reason.
im pointing out you can't do it in the opposite order you shitgargling pissmop.
and i'm pointing out that not being able to START as a class isn't the same thing as not being able to FOCUS on a class during your first playthrough, entering it as soon as possible, you damp cuntrag.

clearly the only way to resolve this is to throw insultingly profane names of increasing creativity at each other
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #146047

i don't know how you would be able to FOCUS on another class given you lack the focus to convey a message in the first place you amphetamine addled spastic chunkblowing clamhat. Maybe if you weren't so fucking crippled with your neurodivergent Aspergian Inability To Do Good At Wording disorder I wouldn't have the need to call you a blithering sand filled 5,000 year old Egyptian mummy vagina. Go back to the Valley of Drag Queens and take it up the ass from the damned spirit of Howard Carter.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146070

yeah well i dunno why i should EVEN TRY to write messages that are comprehensible to your mongoloid normie sphincter of a think-part. i'm not calling it a brain because calling that semi-moist wad of used colorectal lubricant and tissue a "brain" is an insult to forty million years of evolution- but maybe it deserves to be insulted if it still managed to produce a semi-sapient glob of gorilla spunk like yourself after all this practice. you should go rush a chicago police officer, maybe that way your death could actually accomplish something by starting a riot, as opposed to the insipid pile of fetishistically-consumed monkey shit masquerading as forum posts that is your life
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #146072

[youtube]urcqQC02YbY[/youtube]
/vg/station Head Admin
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146075

I can't fathom how people have gotten this salty over a game that doesn't even have multiplayer
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146080

are you kidding me, i'm not salty, this is the most fun i've had in weeks

i mean uh i'll salt you in the dick
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #146871

Let's see them Arisens

Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146943

A friend and I made TINA TOMATO by rolling dice and pushing the envelope.

I'm deleting this bitch and starting a real character soon.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146947

I presume it's impossible to alter your/your primary pawn's appearance after character creation?

(Barring cheat engine/mods)
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #146950

No take backs as far as I know.

Remade my character into more waifu material

Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #146951

>Redheads

Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #146961

Combat is still mash buttons with a limited number of moves, except as you level you get flashier moves. I was hoping that you could have more than 6 attack skills since PC. World is still dull and all the quests suck.

At least they did a great job porting it.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #146985

Drynwyn wrote:I presume it's impossible to alter your/your primary pawn's appearance after character creation?

you can go to the barber shop to change your hair and stuff and the rift crystal store guy trades rift crystals for a full makeover. after you beat the game you can get the Gift of Metamorphosis which lets you transform for free.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #146997

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:I presume it's impossible to alter your/your primary pawn's appearance after character creation?

you can go to the barber shop to change your hair and stuff and the rift crystal store guy trades rift crystals for a full makeover. after you beat the game you can get the Gift of Metamorphosis which lets you transform for free.
you the best, crag
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #147001

Is the Pawn network up? I need a Warrior to round out my party.
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #147036

You can just go into the rift and grab some of the pre-gen offline pawns.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #147072

Yeah but I was wondering if you guys had any
Spoiler:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #147120

My pawn Rhosyn is a fighter, but I may vocation change her to Warrior in the near future. (My steam is drynwyn FYI.)
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #147145

I have a pawn named Sera that I've made a Ranger.

Pawn Rangers are fucking BRUTAL. They have hax accuracy when it comes to shooting arrows at weakpoints, so they end up being really effective when it comes to dishing out hurt.

Also she's got that delicious brown dark elf thing going on
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Maccus

Post by Maccus » #147147

I should not have googled Drynwyn.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #147148

wow that's a lot of furry porn.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #147149

Zilenan91 wrote:wow that's a lot of furry porn.
WOLVES, ARISEN!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #147167

So we are clear: The drynwyn on FurAffinity is NOT me. I do not partake of or produce furry porn.

Also, as of 2 minutes ago, pawn is a warrior and I'm taking Anon3's ranger out with me.

And I have paid for the college education of all the jailor's kids after numerous arrests due to collateral damage when testing new sorcerer spells. Oops.
Last edited by Drynwyn on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147169

you're totally a furry
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #147173

Zilenan91 wrote:you're totally a furry
damn you found me out
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #147194

I just noticed you can set your character to have both eyes closed all the time in the char editor. Has anyone tried making Frisk yet? (I saw someone's pawn was Undyne.)
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #147214

ITEM CRAFTING 101 BROS

Some items spoil in your inventory. Meat, Fish, Fruits, Vegetables, and some Plants can spoil on you.
Meat will turn Sour, then Rotten
Fish will turn Rank, then Rotten
Fruits will turn Mouldy, then Rotten
Vegetables will turn Mouldy, then Rotten
Plants will just eventually Wilt.

This means you should probably not be cramming all of those things into your inventory. You have three pawns, divvy those perishables up and let them use them for healing items. Otherwise you will frequently have a lot of dead pawns and an inventory full of rotten stuff you horded up.

Sometimes you actually need those things to get a little rotten first. A good example of that are the wine recipes, which make pretty solid healing items but require mouldy fruit.
Water Flask + Mouldy Apple = White Wine
Water Flask + Mouldy Grapes = Red Wine

Speaking of recipes, here are some you should probably use in the beginning to mass up healing items (you'll fuckin' need 'em!)
Harusped Juice/Milk/Sauce + Large/Small Nut = Balmy Perfume/Incense (this item heals the whole party a little bit/moderately. good to have during difficult fights when you don't want to keep babysitting everyone)
Various Mushrooms + Nuts = Cloudwine(?) (IIRC, kinda crappy healing item but you can use it to...)
Upgrade your Greenwarish/turn it into Dessicated Herbs. Doing this gets you more out of your Greenwarish (the most basic healing herb in the game). Dessicated Herbs are a decent healing item to stockpile since they heal a solid amount and dont spoil. You can combine a lot of different crap into other items that allow you to get more potency out of the Greenwarish you find. In a pinch, you can just buy a fuckton of it from the lady at the Gran Soren apothecary as well.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #147227

Screenshot of my Arisen:

Also, Anon- your pawn has been most helpful.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #147237

Regarding pawns:

Even if you dont want to change your pawns remember to check in regularly at the Riftstone anyway.
If the pawn you're using has been updated, you'll get the latest version of it.

Vice-versa, periodically stay at one of the Inn's. It re-ups your own pawn to the rift and checks to see if they've earned any items or Rift Crystals for being someone's buddy.

But yeah my pawn is coming along nicely. I talked her through some shit at the knowledge table to have her kill enemy ranged attackers first, then focus on weakpoints of the strongest guy in the area.
She's in her mid 20's now I think. I'm saving up to get her Gamble shot, when she'll start shitting all over big guys like Ogres, Giants, Drakes, etc.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147240

So Pawns are basically prostitues and you're their pimp right.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: