Starbound

Talk about video games here
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Starbound

Post by confused rock » #198029

Bottom post of the previous page:

man you can get the spiked ball without even leaving your solar system you get 3 techs from doing sidequests at the outpost and from there you just need 8 tech cards which I got from doing random quests for florans in a village I found
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #198030

Yeah, I unlocked to the jump tech and didn't have enough on me at the time to go farther. I saw the Tier 2 stuff and moon ghosts later and I didn't want to go back.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #198035

Well we finished the Floran quest chain and don't really want to repeat that another five times so I guess we're done.

But at least the game is just mediocre now instead of completely unplayable.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #198036

Funnily enough, they actually made the game worse in 1.0. Before they "released" it, the UI was 100 times better, the inventory was way better, crafting didn't take time, armor didn't require anything but ingots so building a homestead was completely optional, there weren't any Spook ghosts, and it was around that time that I was talking in this thread about it. I actually thought it was decent. Then they took a fat, greasy shit all over the game and called it done.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #198059

Zilenan91 wrote:Funnily enough, they actually made the game worse in 1.0. Before they "released" it, the UI was 100 times better, the inventory was way better, crafting didn't take time, armor didn't require anything but ingots so building a homestead was completely optional, there weren't any Spook ghosts, and it was around that time that I was talking in this thread about it. I actually thought it was decent. Then they took a fat, greasy shit all over the game and called it done.
I know this doesn't make it any better but for pretty much all the stuff you're talking about there are mods that change it, even spook ghosts
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #198062

There might be now, but there weren't yesterday. I'll check them out.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #198143

its ok

I don't like how they pretty much force the colony system on you so early but the colony system is as good as it used to be. I was more focused on watering my crops and putting avian shit everywhere so I could have a colony filled only with members of the master race, rather than actually playing the game. Like seriously the colony system is something special.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #198150

whats wrong with the ui now? I liked it before but I think it is genius that you switch the thingy with x
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #198152

It was a combination of changes to the UI and inventory. Before, there was only three tabs in your inventory, but you could put whatever you wanted into any of them, with weapons and food automatically going in the first, blocks going in the third, and furniture and stuff going in the second one and you could easily move them around. You could store much, much more than what you can now. They changed it to what it currently is, where only designated items can go into their designated tabs.

Beyond that, they fucked up the UI because you know how you press 1-6 to select what you want? It used to be where 1-0 were mapped to whatever you had in your hotbar up above and if you put something up there it was no longer in your inventory and you could still select and use it. Due to the inventory changes this just makes it harder to carry things since you only have around 1/4 of the inventory space you did before.

Another thing the old UI did right was switching using X. There used to be a double hand representation thing in the middle where you could put a sword and shield combo and you could press X to switch it out to another item + shield combo or any dual-wielded combination you could think of. If you've ever played Diablo it was like that. You can still do that and it's easier to set up these combos since you can put the same weapon in different slots but that just creates clutter on the UI and I've never had to dual-wield anything but sword and shield and gun and shield, which I could've easily done before with the old UI. I like the current one less because it's harder to use, not as clean, and makes your inventory more cluttered.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

confused rock

Post by confused rock » #198176

I thought the inventory was weird, but then I realised it means that I don't have to throw out every piece of moonstone I come across. and yea, I remember the old ui, except for the fact that the items went directly in the slot.
by the way, there IS liquid erchius on the moons, but it is deep down. not too deep, but not on the surface or anything. its basically the silver of moons. and I think the reason the erchius ghosts were a pain in the ass was because you were holding on to your erchius, as they are only attracted by the erchius being on you, not from how long you stay down there. I dump mine after I go down and up, and the ghosts don't even come close to running speed, while I still get plenty. it wasn't that dangerous either, I tried to jump over one and failed, and survived with 2/3rds damage without even using a dash to walk through it.

Also, the second artifact boss is only vulnerable after he runs out of energy in which case you hear the sound and I thought that was really funny.
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #198604

I got to Tier 4 armours so far, and killed dreadwing. I'm on the Hyotyl mission at the moment. Initially was a pain in the arse, as you have to go underwater for that to find their bases. I don't even mine anymore, there is no need - I found all the titanium I needed just exploring planets. Want diamonds? Go to snow planets, find hidden caches - usually under a pile of ice blocks which lead to a cavern with diamond nodes. Racked up 20 so far. It's kinda easy at the moment, but I initially hated the way they make you weak as fuck when heading to the next tier of planet with lower tier armour as they effect both your attack and defense.

Still, is better than I last played in the beta which was frustrating and boring as hell.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #198677

I hear hoverbikes are good for searching the bottom of the ocean, and I can't believe I did the stuff with no idea about the diamonds in snow caches. my main source of diamonds was one place- I discovered that there is a lowwww chance that, upon using those giant capsules that can set you on fire or heal you or something, it will TURN ALL NEARBY DIRT INTO DIAMONDS. I still am trying to afford the penguin suit though.
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #198708

The unloved rock wrote:I hear hoverbikes are good for searching the bottom of the ocean, and I can't believe I did the stuff with no idea about the diamonds in snow caches. my main source of diamonds was one place- I discovered that there is a lowwww chance that, upon using those giant capsules that can set you on fire or heal you or something, it will TURN ALL NEARBY DIRT INTO DIAMONDS. I still am trying to afford the penguin suit though.
Found them by accident, they are usually just 5 or 6 ice blocks covering the ground, underneath is snow. Clear out the snow into a small water pool, loadsa diamonds. Just started the Avian missions now.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #198751

the guy you get at the end of that avian quest does nothing but give you a speed buff when you talk to him that lasts like 30 minutes, which is dumb but really nice.
also for the fish guy don't do his quests until you complete the main ones, because you can make a pixel printer later, allowing you to clone any furniture you examine, so just examine the stuff in all the missions and you can print it for around 50 pixels to give to the fish guy. the only one of his I am stuck on is the armed display armour, which is found in friendly glitch castles and isn't fucking found in the glitch mission.
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #198754

I got lucky and found the avian sarcophagus exploring a ocean planet.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #198770

how the fuck did you find it there?
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #198771

Dunno it was underwater in it's own cavern, with treasure hoard tiles and a bunch of other sarcophagi.
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199046

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here, murdering whatever is left of humanity while wearing a goat skull mask.

Frackin universe is pretty fun so far. Especially since it doesn't look like it has updated it's oregen, resulting in planets with ridiculous amounts of ore. Multiplayer is pretty fun as well after having spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to get workshop mods mounting on the dedicated server.
Last edited by TankNut on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #199047

I'm having fun on the server when I crashed and got maddered, I know tank was leaving it up for me but if it's still on in like 15 minutes I'll be back on
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #199058

finally decided to pick this up and play a bit. i forgot how atmospheric it was. farming cotton is a pain in the dick though and i don't like what they did with pickaxes, but so far it's been a good time. pleasantly surprised
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #199068

the only reason I am not replaying this on hardcore as a novakid is because a bug means the outpost is fully repaired so id have to delete my old file
also for cotton, you can just skip that armor set and the only other thing in the game cotton is needed for is a single teddy bear.
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199082

Cotton isn't too much of a problem once you get a teleporter set up.

Alternatively, get some doubloons from the penguin bartender and use the penguin crew for ship upgrades. You should be able to put plants on your ship no problem.
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Post by Knaive » #199104

It's a real bummer there aren't any natural novakid villages. I've resorted to building a tower of tiny saloon rooms to bring in novakid villagers to try and recruit one onto my ship.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #199316

Spoiler:
I managed about 20 hours into 1.0 before a mixture of corrupted characters losing hours of progress and the game flat-out causing the computer to freeze up and require a reset after about 45 minutes got to me. I've already done hardware checks and driver updates to make sure nothing was faulty so I haven't a single clue whats wrong.

Gameplay seemed better than it was 2 years ago for those 20 hours so at least there's that.
EDIT: Apparently caused by a driver issue if you have a NVIDIA card and requires downgrading to 350.15, that's always nice.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #199586

Finally got the game running. Hunting dem fuckin core fragments. Do we have a server up?
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199588

Jacough wrote:Finally got the game running. Hunting dem fuckin core fragments. Do we have a server up?
I've started running a modded server somewhat consistently. I usually put it up when someone asks for it and shut it down when people stop playing/I go to bed. Either add me on steam or join the skype group and someone will hook you up with the links.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199616

What mods do you run? Might join once in a while as long as I don't need to brick my save
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Comrade Leo

Post by Comrade Leo » #199673

Completed the main quest line last night. Once you get best armour game is pretty much ez game ez life.
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199769

Wyzack wrote:What mods do you run? Might join once in a while as long as I don't need to brick my save
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =731862717

All the mods we're currently running.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #199787

The only mod I have even considered is "Starbound Except It Makes That Weird Tim Allen Noise When Monsters Die"
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199820

Holy fuck that is a lot of mods. I have frackin universe and XS mechs right now, will any of the other ones require a fresh character? If not i will totally jump in
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199834

I don't think any of the other mods require fresh characters but going from these mods back to just frackin universe and XS mechs might not be possible. So just a heads up.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #199836

I might be wrong, but I thought it was possible to get away with getting onto some modded servers without any mods, at least it used to be.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199838

I don't care about not being able to go back, I will probably just keep em all. Right now I am looking for avian shit to scan and have the spess mareen power armor that is roughly aeigisalt tier
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #199842

If you had examined avian shit earlier and forgot where the village is, you will be able to print the avian stuff you examined with a pixel printer.
also I just remembered something I heard a REALLY long time ago that a combo of the violium and ferozium for armor is actually 100% better than aegisalt, but as a user of aegisalt I am too lazy to care.
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199852

The unloved rock wrote:I might be wrong, but I thought it was possible to get away with getting onto some modded servers without any mods, at least it used to be.
You can get away with some clientside mods but as soon as you run into any assets that you don't have like blocks you'll be kicked right back out.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199859

I killed wiznard by dropping my mech once. Also is there pvp? I want to do mech battles
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #199861

You can pvp with other players by exiting your party if they're in it and using the /pvp command. Both sides have to enable it.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #199867

Huh, the latest patch actually fixed the VC launch issues, you just have to run it in 32 bit mode instead of 64.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #199888

Spoiler:
I joined TankNut's server with a new character because honestly building stuff is boring when you're the only person you can show it off to. I'll just hide in my thatch tower while everyone else has mechs and death ball swords.

Also the tenants from the deeds keep beelining for the cave basement below and I have no idea why.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #199914

Has anyone used the Ronin mech? It has a fucking badass heatray that is insanely good for mining
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #199918

Built my first colony. By built I mean I found a small village of tribal frog people who were completely unarmed, killed them all and took over their village.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #199932

Man how do you survive having so many mods
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #200026

> head to colony to collect gifts from my people
> they give me throwing knives

Yeah fuck you too guys.
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #200044

>build a tower of saloons to try and start a novakid colony
>just saloon things, not even beds
>novakid asks me to build a home for a human tenant
>plop down a house with just a sleeping bag, toilet, and stool
>human moves in and loves it

I'm glad it's easy to keep colonists happy but there's literally only one place to sleep and it's in the human's toilet hovel
TankNut

Post by TankNut » #200128

So these floran dudes decided that their dungeon wasn't metal enough.

How do they solve it? Connect it to an ocean of literal poison.

This was of course done after flooding some of their original traps with LIQUID NITROGEN.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #200177

Knaive wrote:>build a tower of saloons to try and start a novakid colony
>just saloon things, not even beds
>novakid asks me to build a home for a human tenant
>plop down a house with just a sleeping bag, toilet, and stool
>human moves in and loves it

I'm glad it's easy to keep colonists happy but there's literally only one place to sleep and it's in the human's toilet hovel
Novakids don't truly sleep until they can no longer be seen from other galaxies
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Knaive

Post by Knaive » #200255

Spoiler:
I built a giant statue to remind my villagers who they owe their entire lives to, and who can burn their huts to the ground with lava.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #200283

jesus christ
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #200291

I stole a van from a group of human refugees

I don't really understand why they had a van unless there's a FTL drive hidden in it
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #200313

Knaive wrote:
Spoiler:
I built a giant statue to remind my villagers who they owe their entire lives to, and who can burn their huts to the ground with lava.
Now that's what I call autism