Dark Souls 3 - Fanfiction Edition

Talk about video games here
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Re: Dark Souls 3 - Fanfiction Edition

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #168871

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'm soul level 43 with my highest stat being Dex at 26, probably should have split my points so much but whatever. Currently running though the Cathedral of the Deep after missing it somehow. Named, THE LAW. Because Blue Sentinels and justice and whatever.
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #168895

Though katana builds are cliche and overdone, I sorta want to make one and go Mound Makers just to be as outright obnoxious as possible.

Another griefy build idea: Pisshands the Putrid, a hideously deformed, jaundiced-looking midget who wields poison handaxes and invades people to pelt them with knives and other thrown weapons
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #168904

SL92, finished game and have been messing around with PvP. Currently using Gundyr's halberd and it's fucking great. Doing over 500 damage a hit, with the special one doing 700. The special attack also closes distance REALLY quick and stuns for a few seconds. It absolutely destroys estus chuggers who think they're far enough to slurp up.

Overall great game, enjoying it way more than 2 and a bit more than one. Some of the enemies are pretty much ripped from Bloodborne and move too quickly for how slow your guy is though.

Also holy shit, From left unused boss music in the game files. DLC maybe?

[youtube]n8NTVveHCO4[/youtube]
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #168913

I'm SL 45 and am hanging out doing invasions in the Catacombs- Anon3 was right, it's a FANTASTIC place to PvP.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #168914

An0n3 wrote:I named my pyromancer after Megumin, because explosion magic is the best magic.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #168917

EndgamerAzari wrote:Though katana builds are cliche and overdone, I sorta want to make one and go Mound Makers just to be as outright obnoxious as possible.

Another griefy build idea: Pisshands the Putrid, a hideously deformed, jaundiced-looking midget who wields poison handaxes and invades people to pelt them with knives and other thrown weapons
An0n3's quick guide to being a total piece of shit/fate worse than death:

Join games as a mound-maker phantom through your soapstone.
Convince the HOE that you're a cool guy here to help.
When the time is right (bottlenecks, corridors, they're occupied fighting tough mobs) hit them with that acid spray
Laugh as all their gear melts off them and you've done more to ruin their day then just kill them one time.

*Note: it takes more than one application of THE GOOD STUFF to remove all that cumbersome bullshit they're wearing and force them to embrace the nudist lifestyle.
Like Billy Mays with that kaboom you need to put that spray to work if you want to get out the tough stuff.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #168923

Item-degradation abilities are literally only used to grief, there is no way From doesn't know this
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #168927

Wyzack wrote:Item-degradation abilities are literally only used to grief, there is no way From doesn't know this
Yeah what I don't get is that they removed so much of that shit from the actual game.
In Dark Souls 2 there were fucking acid barfing monsters and pools of acid all over the fucking place.
Your items were breaking all the fucking time.

I've never had an item even dip that far in durability and the only dedicated item degrading shit I can find is for PVP.

Between that subtle encouragement and all these invasions From is pioneering new frontiers of grief.

You brave souls will never know the horrible, horrible suffering that was being invaded by lvl 1 twinks with 999 in all stats wielding scraping spears. Thanks, Japan.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #168928

Actually i did know that evil when i decided to give Demons Souls a try. The prison tower area was pretty cool though.

Is the normal weapon degradation as obnoxious as it was in DS2? Because that was another thing i really hated about it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #168929

I've never noticed anything get busted at all.

Granted I don't use melee too too much so I'm a bad metric.
I do bludgeon a lot of shit with a mace sometimes, and I've never seen it tip more than like...maybe 15% busted?
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #168933

Eh I encountered a moon jumping cheater who literally could not take damage in DS2.

Back stabbed him about 10 times to reminds him even though I couldn't win he was a scrub.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #168937

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/4/1126502 ... pc-windows

>7.0
>worst one in the franchise

Just in case anyone was wondering if the corpse of videogames journalism hadn't maybe sprouted some fungus and was beginning a new cycle of life.

Nope, it's still real fuckin' dead, yo.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #168986

I had my dexfag character get his edgy katana down to about 30% because I missed a bonfire shortcut in Cathedral of the Deep

That's like, the least durable class of weapon in one of the longest areas, for reference
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169037

Holy fucking shit this game has so much blink-and-you'll-miss-it-hidden shit.

Check out the list of gestures, for example, and all the shit you need to do to get them all.

EDIT: Fuck, there's a password match-making system in this? Had no idea.

If we all wanted to play together we could use that and it apparently ignores leveling restrictions for summoning eachother.
Would make for bro-op play pretty fucking easy.

EDIT: SWEET BABY JESUS those rings that up an elemental attack but ruin all your elemental defenses work on spells.
Charging someone with Ambush up and hitting with Dark Edge does over 1500 damage. Nobody is safe.
I already die in like 2-3 hits anyway I got nothing to lose and everything to gain lets do this.

Dark Souls 3 fuckboys are:
1) The "honorable duelist" who stands back and watches a fight when he could be helping instead. If you want fair fights go place your red soapstone down or summon some of those guys.
2) Hosts who, upon getting invaded, sit back somewhere and wait for the invader to get bored and walk in for a 1v1 instead of trying to progress through the level. As if host handicap wasn't enough already.
3) People who wear Fallen Knight set or Undead Legion set, without fail are total fuckboys
4) Hosts who run all the way back to a bonfire to try to summon another phantom when you already murdered the first cocksucker they brought with them
5) Anyone who complains that spellcasters are playing on easy mode. Bruh I can't wear armor, use a decent shield, my HP is super low and I have to budget my flasks between health and mana. All my attacks are telegraphed and easily rolled through. Git gud.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #169055

I think it is in the menus.

Yep right under cross region matchmaking.
Available from game start no equip slots or nothing.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169060

Oh I also forgot a crucial fuckboyism

6) Anyone who doesn't immediately set their covenant to "Way of Blue" after using an ember or beating a boss. Only three covenants actually do anything when you're the host walking around. Two of them are territorial invasions. Don't be a fucking moron. There's a reason why Darkmoons and Blue Sentinels never get to invade, it's because people are lazy.

Way of Blue should be automatic, honestly. It's fucking dumb the way this relationship between covenants works out when it's such a cool concept. Shouldn't have to put on your life alert retard badge to call the fun police. They should just arrive. I've gotten to invade as a Darkmoon ONCE and as soon as I appeared the fucking Dark Wraith just peaced out and noped back to his world. I got a "Duty Fulfilled" but didn't get shit for items.

...and another

7) People who invade boss rooms. I don't want to post any specifics for spoilers, but those little areas where it's just a bonfire and then a boss fog. They invade, and then sprint up to the door and hope that they can suicide attack fast enough to kill the host before people realize someone is being a major fuckboy. So far I've just annihilated everyone who has done this, and in some cases even the same guy multiple times, but still it's like the very definition of fuckboy-ism.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169127

An0n3 wrote:Oh I also forgot a crucial fuckboyism

6) Anyone who doesn't immediately set their covenant to "Way of Blue" after using an ember or beating a boss. Only three covenants actually do anything when you're the host walking around. Two of them are territorial invasions. Don't be a fucking moron. There's a reason why Darkmoons and Blue Sentinels never get to invade, it's because people are lazy.

Way of Blue should be automatic, honestly. It's fucking dumb the way this relationship between covenants works out when it's such a cool concept. Shouldn't have to put on your life alert retard badge to call the fun police. They should just arrive. I've gotten to invade as a Darkmoon ONCE and as soon as I appeared the fucking Dark Wraith just peaced out and noped back to his world. I got a "Duty Fulfilled" but didn't get shit for items.
What if I enjoy facing invaders in deadly combat so I tear them a new asshole without them whining about gank squads?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169128

Then just use soapstones and 1v1 people.

You don't even need to be kindled for that. In fact if you want to be more fair, you shouldn't be kindled anyway. HOE has a ton of advantages:

All their flasks
Increased damage resistances across the board
Increased HP
ALL.THEIR.FLASKS

Okay so I figured out some tier-1 mindgames

Be magical girl pyromancer
Wear full Cinder set, wield my +10 Chaos Mace, +10 Pyro Flame, and +5 Grass Crest shield.
With the two pyro boosting rings, the fast cast ring, and the knight killer ring I'm just under 70%
I've never put any points in vig, str, or dex
My mace hits for 435 damage (bludgeoning/fire) and crushes people's blocks.
I've got enough defense because of my armor and rings people will think I'm a big tanky fucker
The truth is I'm actually a scrawny witch girl hiding in a deceptively lightweight set of armor
Nobody sees it coming when I just whip out the flame and throw the nuke in their face mid-combat

I haven't lost yet doing this. Everyone thinks we're going in for a sweet melee combat. And we do, for a minute. Then I blow them up.

When I was wearing the witch outfit for fashion souls everyone would always (rightly) rush me down and corner me. Now people play conservatively with me, which is exactly what I want when the gigantic AOE of the Chaos Bed Vestiges hits them.

The mace already does more stamina damage on block, with that ring combined I'm crushing guards all the time, and I can choose between going for the finisher or if I don't think I can hit-confirm quickly swap to flame and just torch 'em.

I'm doing all this at level 85. I have like...35 more levels to build ontop of this.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169148

I'm gonna create a pyromancer character, it sounds like fun.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #169151

Keep in mind all magic has been pretty heavily nerfed in comparison to 1 and 2. It's practically a sidearm to a melee weapon now. A lot of spells are much slower than in 1 or 2. If you plan on doing PvP magic is not worth it. It's great for PvE though. The great sunlight spear does upwards of 1200 on most bosses.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169152

I've noticed that, but I've also noticed that the Int, Fai, and Int/Fai scaling infusions have more oomph, so you don't sacrifice much melee damage by being a caster- just your survivability.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #169153

With the current meta being broadsword r1 spam for around 400 a hit, which stunlocks, and wearing no armor to fast roll, anything besides that is pretty hard
Hope they rebalance PvP soon, or else we're gonna have crackheads instead of havelmoms.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169154

It took a lot of suffering but I think I've hit the curve.
We started out fucking useless, but over time the balance of power has shifted.

PVE aint fuckin' easy either. It's rare for your spells to one-shot anything, which means you're aggro'ing guys all over the place who don't stop until they're clawing up your ass. Sometimes you can whore your range out, but for every opportunity to snipe one guy with a spell there's a horde of 3-4 dudes you have to run screaming from while firing spells over your shoulder at them.

I don't know if Pyromancer will be the top-tier magic class? The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to be a INT/FAI, pure INT, or INT/DEX hybrid.

Pyro is INT/FAI. Both stats contribute to making your pyromancies STRONK and you can get catalysts that will also scale with FAI so your Sorceries can double dip with the right equipment. You will be able to use the healing and buffs from miracles as well. Miracles are still shit damage overall (though the dark miracles have SOME potential with the right equipment, and this build could exploit them best). The plan is simple: crank attunement til you have 3 slots and around 150 FP. Then jack up INT/FAI to 50/45. Throw a couple points in VIT/END for HP and Stamina if you feel you really need it. Get that Mace. Crank that Mace.

For pure INT the obvious choice is Sorcerer. Build shouldn't require any explaining. Don't need a whole lot of attunement still, just dump it all in INT and throw a few points at your HP/STAM as you find absolutely necessary. Your go-to spells are going to be Farron Flashsword, Great Soul Arrow (maybe Great Heavy Soul Arrow if you can handle the extra delay in casting, I wouldn't recommend it) and Homing Crystal Soulmass.

DEX/INT gets kinda complicated. You could go with either Assassin or Sorcerer. Prrrrobably Sorcerer? The Assassin starts out four levels higher, but has two points extra in FAI we'll never do anything with. The Sorcerer has two points wasted in LUC, but it could wind up coming in handy randomly. The Sorcerer, if you don't touch his STR at all, has enough that he'll be able to use Ricard's Rapier when you finally get your hands on it. By infusing it with the sharp quality, buffing DEX like fucking crazy alongside INT, and then using Crystal Magic Weapon on it you'll (at endgame, it'll take forever to get there) have a goddamn SHREDDER.

Special consideration: you could also take the Thief, teach him sorcery.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169155

DrPillzRedux wrote:Keep in mind all magic has been pretty heavily nerfed in comparison to 1 and 2.
The spells can still wreck house in PVP if you cram your stats in. The problem is landing them. The two rings that each cause you to turn invisible while rolling/increase your iframes while rolling both shit all over magic combat. Good luck hitting anyone now.

On the plus side, everyone else's damage output took a hit too. Scaling in general seems to have been flattened out, which casters getting a lot of options (Chaos, Dark, Enchanted, Deep, Raw, etc.) that either stay competitive or don't drop too far behind at higher levels.

That broadsword's base requirements are so low everybody can use it. What makes it lethal is the speed and the lock.

EDIT: Yeah just for example, threw one point into dex just to play with it.

+10 no infusion = 234 +36. It's shit! But if I throw a flame buff on it it skyrockets to 462 thanks to that spell power.
+10 with raw = 292. It's still shit! But now my buff hits it up to 484. Getting gnarly.
+10 with chaos = 112 + 14 phys, 145 + 199 fire. That's a total of 470 and I don't need to cast shit on it.
+10 with dark = the same as above, only the secondary damage is dark.

So yeah, while the spells may have lost some effectiveness a character juicing up those stats still has access to some really fucking powerful melee weapons as well. The playing field there is more level than ever, maybe too level IMO. It kinda reminds me of the ol' Dual Kat days of DeS stunlocking people with that forward+L1 bullshit.

So yeah, make mine's a RAW and I'll just slap whatever buffs I need on it as I need them. Thanks, From!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #169156

That's what I mean, landing magic hits in PvP is rare at high level. Since everyone moves fast and the magic is so slow you barely ever land hits. Even with the ring that shortens casting time.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169159

DrPillzRedux wrote:That's what I mean, landing magic hits in PvP is rare at high level. Since everyone moves fast and the magic is so slow you barely ever land hits. Even with the ring that shortens casting time.
Yep.

The best magic spells are either shit that tracks really hard (Deep Soul/Great Deep Soul), shit that's autonomous (Affinity, Homing/Crystal Soul Mass), buffs, or direct attacks (Farron Flashsword, Dark Edge, Soul Greatsword, Fire Whip).

Boulder Toss has been getting some attention because it has a really ridiculous hitstun, supposedly you're able to just repeatedly throw rocks at people until they die.
Unfortunately I can't confirm because it's nigh impossible to hit anyone with the absolute shit range on it holy fuck

Oh shit son this song

[youtube]T_mJUwgwhgQ[/youtube]
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169192

FUCK YO

Astora's Straight Sword is JACKED.
I was digging through my trove of shit I looted but never looked at because >not a mace and came across this
It's everything the broadsword is at +30 AR and a better moveset.

Raw I can get it up to 516 AR with my flame buff pyromancy

Yeah this is ridiculous. I'm on NG 10str/10dex and I'm wrecking everything with the sword infused raw at like 322 AR and my pyromancy throwing almost 200 on top of that. I wish I had discovered this sword 40 hours ago.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169221

That is amazing. The ASS is absolute ass in DS1, which pretty much means that Oscar of Astora cosplay builds are doomed to be shit.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169257

I'm theorycrafting a luck-based sorcerer.

Hear me out! There's a staff that makes sorcery scale on Luck, and an infusion (Hollow) that makes any weapon scale on luck- plus, if you have 99 hollowing, each Hollow-infused item you hold gives you +5 luck- so with a single stat, you can get B-level melee scaling, and scale both normal and dark sorcery on that same stat- including Crystal Magic Weapon! The best sorceries all come around int 25, so you don't have to go too far into int- it could work.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #169280

SOUL STREAM IS SUPER FUCKING FUN

IT HAS NO RANGE LIMIT
BINO SNIPING WORKS WITH IT
IT PIERCES

This has been a public service announcement

See that fountain?

I'm hitting that fountain
Attachments
20160417110204_1.jpg
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169327

Wait really? That's hilarious.

I'll pack it on my next few invades and see if it plays well.
Not being able to lock that far limits the usefulness of the range but it might have some surprises.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169329

Wyzack wrote:The ASS
How did I not notice that acronym.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169331

I think that became it's common name just because it is pretty garbage tier. Been playing ds 1 again, maybe I will do an Oscar cosplay faith build and use it despite its shittiness. On a no shield two handing weeb katana run and holy fuck it is frustrating at times
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169333

Just that I can say "RAW ASS IS TOP TIER IN DS3" makes me happy

YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE WINNING UNTIL I BUFFED MY ASS
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169429

LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT AN ASS!
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169450

Telling people in the DS3 community Priscilla is dead kicks up such a wonderful shitstorm.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #169461

But she isn't.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169462

Probably not. But arguing that she is brings out the best in people.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169517

Jesus fuck the parrying in this game is awful

The windup is atrocious. I want DS1 insta-parries back, all these shields are fucking useless except for the small leather shield.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #169519

Just beat their shield down like a caveman and then you get a parry out of that. It's the more reliable way.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169522

An0n3 wrote:Jesus fuck the parrying in this game is awful

The windup is atrocious. I want DS1 insta-parries back, all these shields are fucking useless except for the small leather shield.
I was WONDERING why parrying was so much easier with the SLS! I suspected the windup was involved. My observations confirm yours.
Have you managed to find and try the Buckler?

That said- Parrying in Dark Souls has by and large been either nearly useless or completely overpowered. See: The Dark Souls 2 Monastery Banana. Instant parry frames were just so powerful that everyone either used the banana, it's hard counters (Homing Crystal Soulmass or a twohanded UGS), or lost. And I'm sure we all remember the clusterfuck that was Dark Souls 1's parry-baiting-backstab-fishing-no-you-attack-first-no-YOU-attack-first PvP.

Instant parry frames are fine for PvE but dramatically encourage turtling over aggression in PvP.- and forces people to use parry-capable builds, which is bad since we literally just got the super-cool Weapon Arts.

As a personal note- although the visual style and level design is more like Dark Souls 1, a LOT of under-the-hood things are much closer to Dark Souls 2.

This is actually a good thing- Dark Souls 2 had unquestionably the worst level design of any dark souls game, but in terms of mechanical refinement of the core combat system, it was (in my opinion at least) a clear step up from 1. This isn't surprising- high-budget committee-design isn't good at new ideas or neat levels, but it's quite capable of polishing the hell out of something.

Things that are like DS2:
-Infusion and scaling mechanics
-Backstabs (they look like DS1 now, but mechanically, they're essentially identical to DS2's backstabbing)
-Parrying (Again- it now LOOKS like Dark Souls 1, and parry frames do come out sooner than in Dark Souls 1, but the parryframe delay was a hallmark of DS2.)
-Roll iframes (The iframes in your roll in DS3 are very similar to the iframes in your roll in DS2 with 100+ agility- you don't need a stat for it now, though, which is good.)
-Animation cancelling (A lot of the cancels available in DS2 happen more naturally now, but frame timings are much closer to DS2 than DS1.)

Also, some final notes on PvP magic:

By doing magic in PvP you essentially sign a waiver "I will take a disadvantage in a duel scenario (due to reduced melee damage and survivability) in exchange for the ability to tell anyone who gets distracted to go fuck themselves."

I've been having a ton of fun doing Warrior of Sunlight invasions as a sorcerer- let your ally dark spirit engage something, then HEYO Soul arrow/spear/stream to the back no thank you please don't come again.

Also, Anon3's fuckboyism #4 is too real. Fuck you, I killed fucking THREE of your phantoms, get over here and take your paddling rather than sending a steady stream of respawning players at me from the bonfire.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169526

Adjusting the parry frames doesn't do dick in multiplayer because

A) The netcode is so fucking bad it's the biggest contributor to whether you're going to hit one or not
B) Player animations for attacking are so straightforward and obvious the timing is super easy to nail no matter what.

It DOES fuck over PVE, as a lot of enemy attacks come out so fast or randomly you need to be fucking psychic to hit them. Just wandering through High Wall on my start of NG+, trying to parry random hollows and their attacks come out so fast I don't have the time for my 8~10 windup frames.

You can only parry certain attacks, that give you enough frames to see the windup, recognize the attack, determine the timing, then input the parry with frames to spare so it lands in its active frames when their hit would connect.

So that's not so bad when we're talking about PVP where the movesets are really limited, and you've been playing with them for hours and hours yourself. Those timings should be easy enough. But it's fucking bonkers for single player and unless I want to make a career out of learning the timing for every single enemy in the game (which I know some people have) it's out of reach.

It's fucking insulting to be sitting there getting the "half-parry" where I just take less damage but still get hit, and these trash mobs can turn around and attack again before I recover from my missed parry, which starts a stagger because #DS3poise and then I'm dead. Because I only "half-parried".
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169527

Drynwyn wrote: Also, Anon3's fuckboyism #4 is too real. Fuck you, I killed fucking THREE of your phantoms, get over here and take your paddling rather than sending a steady stream of respawning players at me from the bonfire.
Yeah dude, fuckboyism is alive and well in the online community.

Sitting there as an Aldrich Faithful watching the HOE send more phantoms after me like fucking pokemon, hiding behind them like a bitch as they try to approach but then turning tail and sprinting back to the bonfire when they die.

Just fucking come over here and let me murder you already. You obviously can't handle playing online that ember is wasted on you.

I've watched these fuckboys summon the same fuckbuddy phantom repeatedly. I see you brought a friend who is equally shitty at PVP. At least you're not alone.

Sidenote: Seriously regretting starting NG+ but now I'm locked into it. I thought revisiting old areas with new challenges would be fun, but it's the exact same challenges I ground through before just with terrible balancing. My PVP-centric magical girl cannot handle this shit. I've resorted to just layering on the Firelink armor and four rings that boost HP/STAM and damage absorption to slog my way through it in cheezy melee combat. It's boring as fuck but its progress. Until an enemy gets a hit on me and I'm stunlocked to death. There are just so many enemies here that require multiple shots from my spells now I run out of juice between bonfires. It costs me roughly 60FP or so to kill a single hollow with a wooden shield. So when I round a corner and there's a mob of five guys, two of which have shields, it's like a goddamn boss fight I get 1200 souls for beating.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Laharl Monthy
Byond Username: Laharl Montgommery

Post by Laharl Monthy » #169536

Yo, Anon, can I add entries to your fuckboy list?

Because, I've met my first Farron Greatsword wieilding Knight in PvP. Holy shit, this bread and butter L1 horizontal slash. If you don't have any range, good luck getting past it, and good luck catching the fucker using it too, he can just instantly roll out without any downsides. So it kinda sucks when you run a melee build. Or I just suck in general, that's also an option.

From what I read, there's a quite a few people using it because of how cheesy it is.

Worst part? I threw away the farron soul on the Wolf Greatword, instead of the Farron one. If only I knew...
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169538

3) People who wear Fallen Knight set or Undead Legion set, without fail are total fuckboys
I think the sword is covered by that, yeah. Whenever I see someone start doing that spin around bullshit I just get the fuck out of there and hammer them with spells. I can only imagine the special hell you're in if you don't have any options to outrange that ridiculous attack. DS3 has a really dumb habit of dropping locks on people if they move too quickly or shoot by you too fast, I imagine the special moves on that sword probably cause that to happen a lot.

EDIT: Holy fuck I didn't know the dagger functioned like a parrying dagger. That seems really unnecessary but okay, From.

DOUBLE EDIT: It seems like the MLG pro's are all using spears and bucklers. Probably because of this shit.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169542

One thing that always drove me up the fucking wall about souls games is how often the basic attack animations have you smash your sword into/through the ground. Not even just the big heavy fuckers either, like the broadswoad and uchigatana off the top off my head all scrape against the fucking rock floor whenever you swing them, why would you do that to your goddamn weapons fam
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169547

See why I love my Farron Greatsword?

That said it does have a counter. It's just the counter is impossible to learn without first using it.

Namely, stamina.

Typically with the FG, your opponent will be able to do two attacks and one roll. This is almost invariably true, as the high stat requirements for the Farron GS and it's mediocre base damage with significant scaling preclude an enormous investment in Stamina.

The counter is to bait out two attacks in a row then run right the fuck up to the FGS user AND DON'T SWING YET.

If they swing, roll and backstab, they are out of stamina.

If they roll, start casting a spell when they're midway through it (if you're into that), or sprint (not roll) pursue and hit them when they come up- they are out of stamina.

90% of FGS users will die horribly to this tactic- there are three counters, two of which require skill, the last of which requires being a cheeky git.

Counter one is to stand and parry, rolling only for a jump attack.

Counter two is to backstep through an attack before rolling, which gives enough distance that stamina can be safely regenerated.

Counter three is to abruptly two-hand the dagger you had in your mainhand (an actual dagger that you were twohanding the FGS that was technically in your offhand over, not the FGS's parrying dagger) and quickstep like a bitch- this one is a personal favorite.

That third counter is a good tactic in general- if you're planning on two-handing a thing, put it in your off-hand and put a dagger in your main hand. Tap Y twice and you now have quickstep- great for stamina-heavy weapons.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #169551

Started a new character, decided to start pumping luck

Anri, the guy/girl hollow, their sword scales off luck, bleed scales off luck, and the hollow infusion scales off luck does something with luck, I think it adds luck based on your hollowing level
"Weapons and shields infused with Hollow will boost the wielder's Luck stat at 15 or more hollowing, based on the upgrade level of the weapon and/or shield.
The maximum boost is 5 Luck when upgraded to +10. This can be a total of 10 Luck when a Hollow weapon is equipped in each hand."
That's pretty substantial
Anri's can't be infused, but that's still +5 luck from a shield

Let's do this shit
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #169553

I hope it works out, that sounds fun. At the very least you'll have LODS E MONE rare item drops.

I swapped over to just fulltime ASS with my flame infusion, fuck spells. I kicked the shit out of High Wall with the strategy of "walk slowly forward and hack everything to pieces".

I got to Vordt. Threw my highest level pyromancy at him just for shits. It did 127 damage. Despite having 50 Int and 45 faith and a +10 Flame. And he's supposed to be weak to fire.

Slashing him once with my flame buffed ASS did 430 damage.
I hacked him to pieces with it before he even had a chance to do hit his second phase.

I'm going to fucking scream.

The next time I hear someone say mages are easy modo I'm going to just have a fucking aneurysm seizure meltdown.

DARK SOULS 3 META CONFIRMED

get a base-level of stats to wield a relatively low-level weapon like the ASS or Spear. Get a minimum of faith/int to be able to buff yourself. Dump all the rest of your points into health and stamina, some points for the FP you need to buff. Upgrade the weapon to +10 raw, buff it, slaughter everything.

Statistically your only other concerns are enough VIT to wear your gear without fat-rolling, but you probably shouldn't be wearing huge-ass armor anyway because poise is fucked and a blender build will just hack you to pieces regardless of your defense. more attunement and some more magic skills to throw a surprise fireball or whatever at people could come in handy. more STR for a good shield could be good for PVE, but PVP you'll probably just dodge all over the place or use a buckler for parries. grass crest shield only needs like 12 str or something.

Looking at the classes, you could start as assassin and never level up and be fine. Seems like the goto twink class for low-level invasions and devastation is him. Alternatively, take the deprived, put two points in STR to get it to 12, and twenty points into Faith to reach 30. Stop. You're done. Level 23 and you have everything you need to cast all the weapon buffs, wield a +10 raw ASS or spear, use the grass crest shield, wear a decent set of armor without fatroll, etc. If you want to get to 120 you have 97 points to spend on HP and stamina. Enjoy being a career rapist.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #169575

You wouldn't want to wield a +10 Raw weapon because of weapon burden, but yeah, this sounds like a solid twonk.

And after spending some time playing as a sorcerer I can confirm that magic is ffffffucking pointless for everything but a very specific window under particular circumstances.

From please fix, give magic actual damage
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #169581

Grasp that raw ass firmly and just go to town
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster