Field of Battle 5 - we "World War 1" now.

Talk about video games here
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Field of Battle 5 - we "World War 1" now.

Post by Lumbermancer » #174409

[youtube]c7nRTF2SowQ[/youtube]

Here's some memesters playing BF2.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Fri May 06, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Re: Field of Battle 5 - we Sky Captain and Crimson Skies now

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174469

I want fucking WW1. I hope it is.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #174470

The amount of historical fuck ups going on in that one image is historical in and of itself.

At least I can give them some credit for trying something different in going back to WW1.
If this is what they think a WW1 game should look like, I don't have any hope for the game.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174474

It'd be historical fantasy, hence the zeppelin in the background. Plain Jane WW1 would bore people.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174478

DrPillzRedux wrote:It'd be historical fantasy, hence the zeppelin in the background. Plain Jane WW1 would bore people.
You're right. I can't wait to roll up a Trench Wizard and drop sick fireballs on krauts.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174479

You mean grenades out of planes? :^)

IT'S WW1 FUCK YES

[youtube]c7nRTF2SowQ[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #174481

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Wew. It actually looks fun. Also horses. I just hope there won't be too much tacticool nonsense forced it.

Also considering it's "available first on Xbox One", do you think M$ shilled extra to name the game "Battlefield 1"?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174483

Finally my great grandfather's service as a plate-mail-wearing heavy-machine-gunner in WW1 has been acknowledged in the media.

Also I hope the game simulates hearing loss from firing those gigantic cannons so I don't have to listen to this AWFUL FUCKING DUBSTEP REMIX OF A SONG FROM 2003
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174486

To be fair, plate armor WAS used in WW1.

[youtube]kNVfe5Et9-I[/youtube]

a correct post by pillz
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #174487

THE ONLY SHELL SHOCK WE'RE GETTING IS WHEN I GIVE YOU THE SHOCKER WITH HOWITZERS.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #174488

Why not just play verdun
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174489

tedward1337 wrote:Why not just play verdun
Because it's shit.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174491

DrPillzRedux wrote:To be fair, plate armor WAS used in WW1.
The trailer shows a guy walking forward in platemail (with gauntlets) while firing a machine gun from the hip.
His full helmet doesn't even have a visor or eye-holes in it.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174493

Actually this thread reminds me

If you want to play a good game based on WW1 check out The Grizzled. It's a co-op card game for 2-5 players.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171668/grizzled

You're a bunch of guys just trying to survive trench warfare together and play out your hands. You win when nobody has any cards left in their hands. Unfortunately you're not allowed to talk to eachother about the cards you have, and if anyone plays three matching cards everyone loses.

It's kinda melancholic, this was the last project the artist behind the game made before he was killed in the Charlie Hebdo attacks.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174494

An0n3 wrote:
DrPillzRedux wrote:To be fair, plate armor WAS used in WW1.
The trailer shows a guy walking forward in platemail (with gauntlets) while firing a machine gun from the hip.
His full helmet doesn't even have a visor or eye-holes in it.
I see eye holes. They look based on this.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174498

Original content donut steel
eyes.png
face.png
face.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 16377 times
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #174500

tedward1337 wrote:Why not just play verdun
Because realism ain't fun.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Re: Field of Battle 5 - we "World War 1" now.

Post by Takeguru » #174593

I saw trains

There better be a multiplayer map that's just two trains running parallel
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174618

It's funny that people are flipping out that the dude on the cover is black.
By the logic that it's inappropriate because so few blacks fought in WW1, then it's just as dumb that the guy on the cover is American at all.

My issue with the game is that dubstep, gigantic explosions, high-octane visuals, vehicle chase scenes, cavalry charges, and all is a really shitty way to portray a war that mostly fought by disease and starvation in literal feces caked holes in the ground. It's like portraying the holocaust as a electro-trance rave party where you play a kung-fu wielding jew who fistfights Hitler in a cage match. BUT ITS MORE FUN THIS WAY! Sure. It makes for a better videogame. But it's kinda disrespectful to the actual history of it and the awful awful truth of what that reality was like for the people who had to live it.

Will I be able to kill children in Battlefield 1? Young boys pressed into service like between 14-17? If you're making a WW1 game I should be able to bayonet a few teenagers while they cry for their moms until the pictures of home pour out of them. QTE where I slap my cock around to break up the scar tissue chlamydia has given me so I can take a piss? That in the game?
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Sat May 07, 2016 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #174619

Yeah it is in no way going to be accurate to what WWI actually was
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174620

The reason nobody makes WW1 games isn't because nobody has "dared" to. It's not about courage.

It's that nobody has yet been so blithely ignorant as to overlook the actual history of it in order to make another iteration of their annual shooter.
Now DICE has filled that role.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #174623

WW1 is not a time period that lends itself well to the game style of a Battlefield game.

My best guess is that their going to likely try a alt history angle to squeeze in more WW2 era weapons like automatic weapons on a large scale.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #174627

An0n3 wrote:But it's kinda disrespectful to the actual history of it and the awful awful truth of what that reality was like for the people who had to live it.?
You can say the same thing about almost literally every other war game. "World War 2 shouldn't be portrayed as a bunch of crazy patriotic Russians, it was an actual war fought valiantly by many countries involved", and "The Cold War was an intense time where you couldn't be sure if your country was still standing when you woke up, not a tacticool spy thriller about brainwashing and crazy Russians... again."

For the actual game itself, eh. I mean, I guess it's cool it's going to WW1.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174630

And a lot of WW2 fighting was artillery and hiding in a fox hole. The wars are never courageous and quick, anon. ARMA and RO2 (a little bit) are the only ones that have the slow, methodical, and in RO2's case, horrific depiction. World War 1 had plenty of urban battles. World War 2 had many times where forces would dig in and get fucked by just starvation or not being used to the elements. Anyway, It wasn't until several months before the end that everyone dug into trenches and had the iconic WW1 trench element.

I see no reason why portraying WW1 how they want is different than any other game dev portraying WW2/Desert Storm/ETC how they have before.

a correct post by pillz
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174636

Other wars have "the shit" but the only other armed conflict that really comes close to the scale of "how did anyone survive this nightmare" is Vietnam.

Similarly, you notice how a lot of game developers give that war a wide-fuckin' berth?

You can say WW1 had urban battles and such, and you wouldn't be wrong, but it's disingenuous to try to portray WW1 as a run and gun war theatre in urban environments when the overwhelming majority of time spent and life lost was in the trenches and no-mans-land.

After nearly 30 years of playing the pew pew I look back and look at what people are still playing these days vs. what it has taught them about warfare and firearms and I start to think that this is actually kinda shitty. Not that violence in the media is bad but turning dark periods of our history into fun action packed romps through corridors where one guy singlehandedly guns down a few hundred people and wins the war is...not helping anybody. I assume that somewhere out there must be a handful of people who pick up a game about WW1 for the first time and then later think "I should read a history book, or newspaper clippings, or maybe watch a documentary". There have to be a few. But I don't think there's any doubt they're vastly outnumbered by the guys who just go "DUDE DID YOU SEE IT WHEN I SHOT HITLER IN THE DICK AND HIS TESTICLE EXPLODED!?!? THIS IS AWESOME!"

How many people do you think are going to play this game through to completion and complain that they never got to fight Hitler. Seriously. At least some.

I mean your comment on other war games...like you see me playing those anymore? Arma and RO2 are the only games I play. Arma because it's more of a silly grown-up version of pushing army men around on the carpet and RO2 because it's actual PTSD simulator.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Sat May 07, 2016 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #174637

Beersheba when?
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174650

The private press release shown after the stream confirmed a bunch of stuff.

Multiplayer will have horses, a large variety of tanks, several armored jeeps, a dedicated driver class, a ton of different guns, armored trains that go through the maps, AT rifles, large air battles, melee weapons that include a fucking spear...

And this hot ass tank. Tanks themselves having a crew element where people need to work together.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #174653

there's a reason why ww1 isnt made into a first person shooter

because unless you want to make a joke of yourself there was nothing to do for majority of it. big battles like the somme were not like the battle of the bulge were shit happened frequently. no, it was just slow advacements with large cool down periods followed by either trickles of troop movements or mass movements again.

were some parts of ww2 filled with just sitting a foxhole and hiding? Maybe for a tiny bit of time but there was a constant moving frontline in ww2 especially in the East compared to the joke of a frontline in the east in WW1 which consisted of "20 GOoD GERMAN MEN ASS FUCK THE ENTIRE RUSSIAN IMPERIAL ARMY" and an extremely static western frontline which just involved being sent up, half your company dies and you get sent the order to retreat, rinse and repeat until the end of the war where the germans are constantly falling back until the heidenberg lines.

this game is going to be a joke lol
i bet you there's going to be everyone using submachine guns or everyone touting lmgs

jesus christ battlefield just stick to ww2 you fucking mouthbreathers.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #174655

What they should have done is have a bunch of future Aliens invade Earth during World War 2.

Thus pissing off everyone that both wants WW2 and Future Warfare for Battlefield.
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #174657

oh wait i know what they're going to do.

they're going to over generalise the war and make the central powers look like just good old super villians ala ww2 without taking any consideration of the basis of their actions considering their geopolitical situation.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #174658

Well more likely they'll make a utterly forgettable singleplayer and hopefully a good multiplayer.

My big concern is this being a Battlefield Hardline 2.0, essentially a Battlefield 4 WW1 reskin.

Time will tell.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #174661

I mean the interpretation of World War 1 will be loose to say the least, that's how it always was with Battlefield. It won't be Verdun, not even Red Orchestra in that sense.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #174662

Guys who cares if it's historically accurate, I just want a themed shooter with decent mechanics and have fun.

Why does everything have to tell a story or be "daring"
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #174663

Because it won't have decent mechanics.

It's a fucking battlefield game. The netcode is still garbage. People who die still leave their hitbox "standing" when they die causing grenades to bounce off them and bullets to get sponged by them.

This is still happening in battlefield 4. Tell me with a straight face that you can have a decent mechanical shooter when shit like this still flies by.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #174695

Thats just because they stopped caring about mechanics when they started caring about marketing

Like every other AAA game series
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174737

oranges wrote:Guys who cares if it's historically accurate, I just want a themed shooter with decent mechanics and have fun.

Why does everything have to tell a story or be "daring"
Why limit yourself trying to make a WW1 game we know wont be accurate and will only detract from the experience when you could just go full on fuck-you and make your own made-up trenchpunk war game?

If this actually was a steam-powered fantasy universe loosely based on WW1 but with all kinds of crazy shit going on like full-armored knights trudging around with autocannons and shit I would be so fucking down. Bigass fucking land-trains on treads trundling around smashing through fortifications and dudes pouring out of them fuck it whatever.

To see them struggle between wanting to take the limits off and just be fucking crazy with the dudes walking around toting a machine gun but still pointing at shit like the Harlem Hellfighters and saying "Our game is here to highlight parts of history you might not know!" is full retard.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #174751

At what point do I get trench foot and have to cut it off?
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174831

Now I want to play a world war game where you ride an ACTUAL STEEL HORSE with a lance riding town a tank so you can spear through the side and pierce the engine or kill the crewmembers.

Fuck.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #174880

Too many animes.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #174890

So you want Titanfall 1918 edition?
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #174908

Steelpoint wrote:So you want Titanfall 1918 edition?
Somewhere between Guns of Icarus, Titanfall, and a MOBA.

The level is actually two different Titans duking it out, while your creep NPC's pour over them. You can send them to different places inside your Titan for different buffs. Having everyone work the engines speeds up the cooldown on your punches or other abilities for example. If you punch a hole in the other guy's Titan you can send your guys to grapple their way inside and fight man-to-man with the other player's crew. You could win either by just beating the crap out of the other guy's machine or sneaky boarding parties disabling it from the inside.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #174921

It's an EA game. That's all you need to know it's going to be absolute shit.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #174928

It's gonna be GOTYAY calling it now.

a correct post by pillz
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #174930

well duh the public would eat shit if it had DICE written allover it.

and they would enjoy it as well.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #174983

ColonicAcid wrote:well duh the public would eat shit if it had DICE written allover it.

and they would enjoy it as well.
"Oh man this game is fucking awesome! Sure the game crashes if I get in the gunner seat of a vehicle and the game takes five minutes to load but it's all good, they'll patch it up soon!"

One month later the game still isn't patched and the developers are already working on a new game. Calling it now.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #175005

This game looks like it might be fun
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #175007

ColonicAcid wrote:Because it won't have decent mechanics.

It's a fucking battlefield game. The netcode is still garbage. People who die still leave their hitbox "standing" when they die causing grenades to bounce off them and bullets to get sponged by them.

This is still happening in battlefield 4. Tell me with a straight face that you can have a decent mechanical shooter when shit like this still flies by.
I don't know, the last bf I played was 3 and it was very enjoyable.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #175028

PKPenguin321 wrote:This game looks like it might be fun
Based on what? A CGI trailer that showcases about 15 seconds of what probably isn't even actual gameplay?
oranges wrote: I don't know, the last bf I played was 3 and it was very enjoyable.
Be thankful you weren't around for BF4 then. It was so broken it's not even funny. Load times were ridiculous regardless of what platform you were playing on and there was a bug that to this day has never been fixed where getting into the gunner seat of any vehicle will cause the game to hard crash and yes this happened on every platform. They promised to fix these issues but of course they never did and just went on to create the spinoff Battlefield Hardline, which oh by the way as an additional fuck you, they released at full retail price. So basically they released a broken and nearly unplayable game, claimed they would fix it post release which was a blatant lie, and then went on to release ANOTHER Battlefield game before they even bothered to fix the previous one, which they gleefully slapped at $60 price tag on.

I'm dead serious when I say I'm calling it. This game is going to be broken and unplayable but retards are going to buy it anyway because it's got Battlefield in the title which will just encourage EA to push out more broken and unplayable abortions knowing that regardless of the quality the game will sell well simply because of the title.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #175031

Battlefield 4 was broken to all hell until Dice LA (a separate studio) fixed most of the mess left by the original dev team and made BF4 a pretty good game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #175033

Based on a positive attitude and low standards for what is fun
If it sucks that'll be a shame but it's kinda hard to fuck up a deathmatch FPS
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: