Torment: Tides of Numenera

Talk about video games here
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by firecage » #207621

So guys, what do you think of Torment: Tides of Numenera so far. Well, those that at least have early access/beta access to it. For those who don't know, it's basically the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. It will be using the same custom Unity engine which Pillars of Eternity used to emulate the Infinity Engine which Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate was on, and it will also be a heavy storydriven RPG which is textheavy.

From what I have seen on its trailers, it seems like it will be a pretty enjoyable RPG.

Also, they somehow managed to raise 5 million US Dollars for it so far. Christ that's a lot.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Post by DemonFiren » #207638

Numenera was a great tabletop game, even though I didn't do much beyond torturing my fellow party members with incessant magical honking.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #208032

Triggered, DemonFiren. I did not like the Numenara tabletop.

The SETTING was fantastic, mind. It's just the actual GAME was lacking for me.

Characters didn't get enough options to pick from to have fun with them, the meaning of difficulty values for things was alarmingly abstract, and although there was a lot of stuff that affected who your character WAS, much of it didn't really impact what they could DO. All in all, there just wasn't enough STUFF.

Aside from that, the lack of any real means of powerbuilding made playing a consistent character boring, and the game ill-suited for long arcs.

Blah blah blah we can chat on discord if you want me to really ramble about game design, some of this is of course personal taste.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #208171

I know for a fact I got on my DM's nerves by constantly modifying my esoteries and using hedge magic for just about everything.
Yes, even that.
No, not that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: