Cheshify - The Headmin Arc

Resolved.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Cheshify - The Headmin Arc

Post by Cheshify » #699478

An Introduction

Nice to see you all, TGstation. I’m Cheshify and I’ve been an admin since September of 2021, as well as a player for more than a year before that. Starting on Basil and Sybil, I eventually transitioned to enjoying Manuel’s slower paced rounds, though I still greatly enjoy adminning and playing on all of the servers we offer for their unique and funny experiences.

What do I want to do?

Aside from the continued success of TGstation, I have a number of reasonable goals that I would like to see met during my future headminship.

More Events
► Show Spoiler
Talking about Events Again
► Show Spoiler
Polls Aplenty
► Show Spoiler
Kurt Sector
► Show Spoiler

Why should you vote for me?

Well, I have a history of taking leadership roles on projects and have been a steadfast admin for multiple terms. I suppose the best reason to vote for me would be that I’m not ever going to embellish my capabilities, make promises I can’t attempt to deliver on, or overestimate the workload ahead. I can only promise an earnest and well intentioned head admin that will do the best he can to keep the game fun.

Accomplishments

Proving that I can actually coordinate a team, here are a list of some projects I've been a part of...
  • Acting as a project lead and unofficial maptainer for the North Star map.
  • Assisting Riggle in the 2022-2023 Toolbox Tournament as a map lead and event runner.
  • Hosting the Winter 2023 Headmin Debates alongside Citrus.
  • Coordinating with talented spriters Kinnebian and RedSentry in adding Laser Muskets to the game.
  • Assisting Armhulen with 2023’s March into Mapness event.
  • Working with Dragomagol and Imaginos on a Cerestation update.

Thank you so much for reading my thread! Show some catmin support with the badge below :3

Last edited by Cheshify on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Cheshify - The Headmin Arc

Post by Timberpoes » #700234

You're one of the few headmin candidates running that has genuine evidence of being able to accomplish projects.

So if anyone reading this likes Chesh's platform, they're one of the few candidates that can evidence any ability to see their platform through from start to finish.

I'm not sure how you'll be in an upper leadership position where others are relying on you to keep a cool head and solve problems though. A lot of headmin work is just dealing with frustrating things and I never saw handling frustration as one of your fortés. I'm open to being pleasantly surprised though, so good luck out there on the battlefield.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700241

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:57 am You're one of the few headmin candidates running that has genuine evidence of being able to accomplish projects.

So if anyone reading this likes Chesh's platform, they're one of the few candidates that can evidence any ability to see their platform through from start to finish.

I'm not sure how you'll be in an upper leadership position where others are relying on you to keep a cool head and solve problems though. A lot of headmin work is just dealing with frustrating things and I never saw handling frustration as one of your fortés. I'm open to being pleasantly surprised though, so good luck out there on the battlefield.
Thank you for the extremely honest endorsement. If there's anything I've proven to be adept at it's self betterment. I have experience with many of the trials that head admins go through and I fully believe myself prepared for the position.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #700334

I do believe chesh has gotten some experience in dealing with frustrating things after working on norfstar. Did it make them stronger? Unstoppable? If they're up for more stress and frustration that comes with being a headmin, then I believe they can handle it.
Chesh is one of our (few) supportmins that hop around servers handling urgent tickets, which I always respect.
► Show Spoiler
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #700397

I have some questions.

- How is the event encouragement going to happen? You mention this a lot, do you have a plan? I'm not talking about the seasonal events, I mean more spontaneous stuff.
- Could you give a couple of examples of polls you'd like to see?

Other stuff on your thread I was curious have already been responded somewhere else or it's not something of interest to me atm. Thank you :)
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700423

conrad wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:33 pm - How is the event encouragement going to happen? You mention this a lot, do you have a plan? I'm not talking about the seasonal events, I mean more spontaneous stuff.
Well, I'm going to move the Events Workshop out of being a sub-subforum so people will actually see it. I want people to feel like it's significantly easier to post an event idea, have everything prepped, then get an admin online at the right time to monitor them while they play the Events Runner for a round. Maybe a discord channel as well? I discuss this all in my thread!
conrad wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:33 pm - Could you give a couple of examples of polls you'd like to see?
Broadly, I want to be asking people how they feel about the servers, roleplay quality, their thoughts on controversial topics like the allowance of greytiding, how they've been enjoying the game recently, and doing PLENTY of polls targeting how dynamic is going.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #700425

Cool, thanks for clarifying. Apologies if I asked something you already covered, I've been inhaling fumes from a nearby fire all day.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700445

conrad wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:13 pm Cool, thanks for clarifying. Apologies if I asked something you already covered, I've been inhaling fumes from a nearby fire all day.
Don't worry about it. Go get some fresh air!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #700485

If you don't vote for me first, vote ches first
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #700510

I have a question for you. Timbre brought it up first, but how do you plan on dealing with controversy? You can’t expect your previous contributions to earn you the kid gloves when you get into this position and even though you are an outstanding and kind person, do you have the fortitude to be able to withstand arguing with the playerbase, admins, coders, and whomever else may get in your way?

(Edit- I really really like your poll proposal! Good shit dude.)
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #700545

On the points of you proposals:

For the poll questioning; Say we had some mildly controversial game or rule change that you wanted to get the opinions of the playerbase at large about. How would you go about making this poll?

Where and how exactly are the polls meant to be utilized? Is it always meant to be respected, or simply a gauge of opinion? Do you think these polls will be completed by a representative enough sample of our playerbase to be effective, or do you believe it is good enough to simply take any sampling of an interested party? Do you believe bias may influence these polls in some way?

On ss14; How ready do you think our admin team would be to transition towards overseeing a ss14 server? What about our development team? Is it really something you could accomplish in a single term?
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700632

The Wrench wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:50 am I have a question for you. Timbre brought it up first, but how do you plan on dealing with controversy? You can’t expect your previous contributions to earn you the kid gloves when you get into this position and even though you are an outstanding and kind person, do you have the fortitude to be able to withstand arguing with the playerbase, admins, coders, and whomever else may get in your way?

(Edit- I really really like your poll proposal! Good shit dude.)
I'm not going to lie and say I'll never be frustrated or need to take a moment to step back and evaluate a situation, but that's what I'm going to do, step back and evaluate something. Life and people can certainly be an annoyance, and I'm just going to grow and adapt to things. Besides, I have the support of a good community, strong admin team, and two other head admins.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #700633

Just make sure you take care of yourself. This job is the admin killer. A burn out factory. If you genuinely believe that you were up to the task, go for it boss.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700634

NecromancerAnne wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:27 am On the points of you proposals:

For the poll questioning; Say we had some mildly controversial game or rule change that you wanted to get the opinions of the playerbase at large about. How would you go about making this poll?
There's a few avenues for this. Depending on the urgency it could be done on discord using google forms with a linked excel sheet (something I have experience with since I did it with the last head admin debates). However, for player transparency since not everyone is on the discord, I would more than likely use the server's built-in polling system that headmins/maintainers already have access to using!
NecromancerAnne wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:27 am Where and how exactly are the polls meant to be utilized? Is it always meant to be respected, or simply a gauge of opinion? Do you think these polls will be completed by a representative enough sample of our playerbase to be effective, or do you believe it is good enough to simply take any sampling of an interested party? Do you believe bias may influence these polls in some way?
In my perfect ideal, all polls would be proactive rather than reactive. They would be discussing future changes based on current opinion, like asking the community how they currently feel about Dynamic, Roleplay Quality, or a specific game feature. From then on, I can't force anyone to do anything outside of my own direct control (config), but I can encourage the use of gathered information to make opinionated changes.
NecromancerAnne wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:27 am On ss14; How ready do you think our admin team would be to transition towards overseeing a ss14 server? What about our development team? Is it really something you could accomplish in a single term?
Somewhat, I don't think a full transition to SS14 where we have a perfect codebase, a thriving community, and an entirely active admin team is going to be the immediate result. I do think I can certainly begin to set the ball in motion by opening the concept to the community as a whole. A lot of the prepwork in actually getting the server up, all it needs is the shove to get the start of a community formed and framework to be set up.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700636

The Wrench wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:39 am Just make sure you take care of yourself. This job is the admin killer. A burn out factory. If you genuinely believe that you were up to the task, go for it boss.
I take burnout very seriously. I WILL be taking care of my mental health, and encouraging others in the admin team to be doing the same, this is a threat. :honkman: :toysword:
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #700690

Based

Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700744

New: an alternate (better!) campaign badge by the very kind Kinnebian:

Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Somepan
Byond Username: Somepan

Post by Somepan » #700847

On polls, how do you intend to fight what i would call the "what there's a poll where, oh it's there i never go there or check there", because depending on how your polls are implemented you're going to have bias. People who play aren't necessarly on discord, people who are on discord don't necessarly play, have you thought of that ? Any solutions ?
► Show Spoiler
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #700894

Somepan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:12 am On polls, how do you intend to fight what i would call the "what there's a poll where, oh it's there i never go there or check there", because depending on how your polls are implemented you're going to have bias. People who play aren't necessarly on discord, people who are on discord don't necessarly play, have you thought of that ? Any solutions ?
I don't think it's possible to have every player ever vote on every poll that I'll be putting up. The best I can do is put them up on the servers themselves when a player opinion is more important, and put them up on the discord when a community opinion is the goal.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #701403

Regarding keeping an even temperament as headmin do you feel you have a support network with admins/community that could help you manage burnout/general drama?

I've played with you for a while and I'm honestly incredibly impressed with you especially considering how much we used to butt heads when you were a player. I think as long as you have people to bounce ideas off and be a sounding board you would be an excellent headmin.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #701462

As the vote comes up in a few days, given that I'm not running, I'll throw my official endorsement in with Chesh. He's been a joy to work with for quite some time and I expect nothing but great things from him out of a headmin term.

If you'd vote for me for headmin, vote for Chesh instead.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #701562

Wow, just made a big dumb post in the debate forum, wish I had read your platform first. Love the bit about admins being dungeon masters - that is exactly how I feel about it, so guess I found my candidate :D Also +1 for Kurt
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #701592

Lacran wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:58 am Regarding keeping an even temperament as headmin do you feel you have a support network with admins/community that could help you manage burnout/general drama?

I've played with you for a while and I'm honestly incredibly impressed with you especially considering how much we used to butt heads when you were a player. I think as long as you have people to bounce ideas off and be a sounding board you would be an excellent headmin.
Thank you for the endorsement, I am all about personal improvement and furthering one's own social skills. I think the onus of success in my possible future term is one that is rested on my own ability to use the competent headmin + admin team as a support while supporting them in turn. We all need to look out for eachother, and ensure that we have the goal of keeping the game fun for players and admins alike.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #701593

Vekter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:36 am As the vote comes up in a few days, given that I'm not running, I'll throw my official endorsement in with Chesh. He's been a joy to work with for quite some time and I expect nothing but great things from him out of a headmin term.

If you'd vote for me for headmin, vote for Chesh instead.
This is greatly appreciated Vekter. You're a mainstay in the admin team and an absolute workhorse when it comes to helping people out with nasty issues, so having your support fills me with confidence.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #701595

Very steady admin with a good history and lots of contributions to the team and community under his belt. It's very easy for someone to claim that they want to become headmin to encourage more events (big and small), but having been the Code Lead for the gameshow event and seeing first hand what a massive undertaking it was, I can say that Chesh actually stepping up and running/helping lead major projects like Northstar and the Toolbox Tourney is a giant credit to him. Very good choice.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #701597

nukularpower wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:35 pm Wow, just made a big dumb post in the debate forum, wish I had read your platform first. Love the bit about admins being dungeon masters - that is exactly how I feel about it, so guess I found my candidate :D Also +1 for Kurt
Not a big dumb post, put a few of my thoughts on it. Thanks for the endorsement!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #701598

Shaps-cloud wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:30 am Very steady admin with a good history and lots of contributions to the team and community under his belt. It's very easy for someone to claim that they want to become headmin to encourage more events (big and small), but having been the Code Lead for the gameshow event and seeing first hand what a massive undertaking it was, I can say that Chesh actually stepping up and running/helping lead major projects like Northstar and the Toolbox Tourney is a giant credit to him. Very good choice.
I want to keep stepping up to run more stuff and keep things enjoyable! I enjoy managing teams in getting projects done, and while it can be severely difficult, it always feels like it pays off in the end to see people happy. Thank you for the post, Shaps!
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #701822

Holy SHIT let's thank Riggle for a wonderful job on the NEWLY UPDATED campaign sticker!

Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta