iwishforducks - i will disable felinids in the roundstart species config.

Resolved.
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

iwishforducks - i will disable felinids in the roundstart species config.

Post by iwishforducks » #699620

my platform is incredibly simple:

i will disable felinids in the roundstart species config.

roundstart species are determined by server config. no headmins cannot remove felinids from the code. yes headmins disable felinids from being a roundstart species. got it? good.

this means that you would not be able to make your roundstart character a felinid.

this is a serious platform.

also i still think my admin training improvements are golden: trial admins should have to be a side-kick for 5-10 different admins in tickets before we let them loose. there is a lot of knowledge to be had from simply reading other tickets and asking the admin why they’re saying [x] or doing [x]. it also builds a lot of rapport with other admins and i’m all for that.

i am also wickedly handsome, so that is another reason to vote for me. just saying.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: iwishforducks - i will disable felinids in the roundstart species config.

Post by NecromancerAnne » #700283

Besides the meme platform, do you have any actual experience as an admin on any server whatsoever?

Are you familiar with the training process for trialmins/admin candidates as they stand?
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #700654

NecromancerAnne wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 am Besides the meme platform, do you have any actual experience as an admin on any server whatsoever?

Are you familiar with the training process for trialmins/admin candidates as they stand?
Yes. I've adminned before on /tg/Station 13 for about 3-4 months, before ending my trial- long story short my trial was extended and then the next headmins never picked it back up, and I got burnt out because of it.

EDIT: It was actually 6-7 months. From April to October. Geez time flies.

Quite familiar. The training process is quite simple- not that I aim to make it any more complex than it oughta be. It's pretty much a quick crash course on what all the buttons do, and then you have to handle 5 "administrative" tickets. From there you're pretty much thrown into the deep end. Apart from whoever your admin trainer is and your fellow trialmins, you really don't get the chance to simply observe and talk to other admins before having to deal with tickets yourself.

I think newer admins could very much benefit from the knowledge of "older" admins- I know that's where 95% of my knowledge comes from in regards to adminning. Which is why I think new admins should be encouraged to ask around and simply get a feel for things. I would implement that new admins have to "sidekick" a number of differing admins, and ask questions about the tickets themselves and why the admin is doing [x]. Maybe they can even handle a ticket if they want to! The point is to build rapport with other admins, while also getting some knowledge. Think something akin to an apprenticeship, except you're bouncing around a lot more. I think it'd also be a fun goal for admins to try to stamp the "trial passport" of as many rookies as they can :D - it's a win win for everyone involved!

While, yes, an admin trainer has to be online for your first 5 tickets, I always felt like the trainers were more there to make sure I didn't royally screw up rather than try to guide me or try to inject that juicy knowledge into my skull.

Also this isn't a meme platform. I know disabling felinids is controversial but it's something I would blank face seriously do. Not that I truly care about it that much, it's just something I would do and I was interested in seeing what it would be like as a headmin platform.
Somepan
Byond Username: Somepan

Post by Somepan » #700849

You do realize no one is stopping new admins from just saying "can i see you handle that one before i take one" on a ticket ? And ask questions.
Also not to sound elitist but i think that throwing admins and their tools at tickets to see if they manage after being explained how to use X to check for Y is a good idea, it's a test, can you handle figuring out the process ?
As for disabling felinids, why ? Just for the lulz ?
► Show Spoiler
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #700882

Somepan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:18 am You do realize no one is stopping new admins from just saying "can i see you handle that one before i take one" on a ticket ? And ask questions.
Sure, nothing is stopping new admins from doing exactly as I have suggested, but it’s not just the new admins that have to participate- it’s the already existing admins. You’d only get so little benefit since the amount of work you would have to do as a new admin just to simply wrangle a few folks would be quite difficult. It’s not just about the new admins participating, half of it is about encouraging admins to interact with the new blood!
Somepan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:18 am Also not to sound elitist but i think that throwing admins and their tools at tickets to see if they manage after being explained how to use X to check for Y is a good idea, it's a test, can you handle figuring out the process ?
I’m going to be entirely real, I see admins struggle with things that I believe are entirely fundamental to being an admin. One of these extremely basic ettiquites I was taught was to remain neutral in a ticket. Trying to accuse folks will only get you so little information; It’s all about trying to fish information out and then coming to your own conclusion. Perhaps this program wouldn’t solve the issue entirely, but I think it would teach new folks that there’s more to adminning than just learning the tooling.
Somepan wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:18 am As for disabling felinids, why ? Just for the lulz ?
Felinids are my least favorite species. I don’t like cats too. Maybe that factors into it. In terms of creativity they’re just humans with ears and a tail. If I had a nickel for every time I saw felinids take command roles and then speedrun attaching cat ears and a tail to themselves, I’d have like… 25 cents. Which isn’t a whole lot but it left a really bad taste in my mouth. I’m also simply curious how a “disable felinids” platform would even perform.
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #701727

iwishforducks wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:23 pm i will disable felinids in the roundstart species config.
How do you address dendydoom's criticism? (below)
dendydoom wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:40 pm it seems totally unfair to deprive innocent players of something they enjoy for something they're not responsible for.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.