March 2023 Headmin Self-Insert Fanfic Workshop - the thread

Resolved.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

March 2023 Headmin Self-Insert Fanfic Workshop - the thread

Post by wesoda25 » #700260

As the title clearly states, I’m curious to see you guys dissect an event from this last term. It could be a ruling, a ban, a config change - whatever. It doesn’t even have to be something that the headmins got involved in.

If they were: thoughts? What did you like? Dislike? Would you have handled it differently?

If not, well, the above still applies. Wwyd? How? Why?

Feel free to offer constructive criticism on one anothers fanfics!
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Re: March 2023 Headmin Self-Insert Fanfic Workshop - the thread

Post by AwkwardStereo » #700269

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34098

I have nothing but respect for Starlord Gwyn stepping down of their own accord following this admin complaint but it is absolutely baffling that they were almost completely inactive for that time and still got repromoted to Game Admin. I would have retired them and told them they were welcome to reapply any time.

LOOK AT THIS. HOW???

General Thrax
Byond Username: GeneralThrax

Post by General Thrax » #700390

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=34353

The final outcome of this policy thread was incredibly based. It was a long, stupid discussion about how ligger should be banned or shouldn't be, and headmins were just "we will not ban ligger, but saying it completely opens you up to getting absolutely annihilated."

It was handled excellently. Just watching people say it and then being mercilessly bullied by every lizard in the hall is hilarious.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #700394

General Thrax wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:19 pm viewtopic.php?f=85&t=34353

The final outcome of this policy thread was incredibly based. It was a long, stupid discussion about how ligger should be banned or shouldn't be, and headmins were just "we will not ban ligger, but saying it completely opens you up to getting absolutely annihilated."

It was handled excellently. Just watching people say it and then being mercilessly bullied by every lizard in the hall is hilarious.
Wonderful ruling. You can obliterate people for being an IC shitheel and those IC shitheels can say whatever they want and learn the concept of cause and effect.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #700410

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34501

I disliked this ban, I thought this was way too critical. 14 days off the bat struck me as weird for OOC-IC, it is most certainly not an acceptable thing to do but 14 days?

I'm glad SightId lowered it, but I still think it was absurd.

Per rule 4, team antagonists are permitted to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't hurt their team. I don't believe crag refusing to run into the enemy and die violated that. He didn't show intention to get mind shielded or otherwise a detriment to his team. Besides the OOC-IC, it didn't seem that bad. I recognize it's manual, but 8 days for OOC-IC when we ban 1 day for ruining a player's round? It seems like Crag already had his round ruined, and for the OOC-IC alone as a recent repeat offense with Cheshify, I think the highest it SHOULD'VE been is 2 or 3 days.
► Show Spoiler
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #700412

I dont have much to add with this thread, because I was genuinely happy with last-term in the way they handled a lot of things. Every thing that I feel with off has already been mentioned in this thread, or slipped my mind.
Chadley wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:50 pm viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34501

I disliked this ban, I thought this was way too critical. 14 days off the bat struck me as weird for OOC-IC, it is most certainly not an acceptable thing to do but 14 days?

I'm glad SightId lowered it, but I still think it was absurd.

Per rule 4, team antagonists are permitted to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't hurt their team. I don't believe crag refusing to run into the enemy and die violated that. He didn't show intention to get mind shielded or otherwise a detriment to his team. Besides the OOC-IC, it didn't seem that bad. I recognize it's manual, but 8 days for OOC-IC when we ban 1 day for ruining a player's round? It seems like Crag already had his round ruined, and for the OOC-IC alone as a recent repeat offense with Cheshify, I think the highest it SHOULD'VE been is 2 or 3 days.
I personally hated this ban because it genuinely lacked empathy towards crag, and brought up very old notes.
If I'm roleplaying as the headmins, I wouldve voted to lift this.
respect (let him do his thing)
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #700421

viewtopic.php?p=668270#p668270

I think we should be cracking down on shuttle grief significantly harder. People will break into random parts of the shuttle like a zombie horde from Left 4 Dead and then start to get really pissy if you try to kick them out, to the point of eventually attacking you lethally so it's never worth it. Admin intervention should be encouraged in cases of people just starting shit because they're in a space with a bunch of other people and their tiding zoomies engage.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #700426

Those two Terry players that made the dorms slapping video. That shit was way too funny to deserve getting banned for.

AAA,AAA,AAA,AAA!!

edit:
AwkwardStereo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:06 am snip
also this. i agree with this
help
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #700452

I'm with Cheshify on the shuttle thing. I would love it if we enforced some more stringent self-antag rules on the shuttle cockpit, why does that restricted area in particular always end up a free-for-all?

In terms of headmin activity, I think this term was very satisfactory for me personally.

If I had to nitpick something:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34491
I am still not sure this man understands why things went the way they went for him. As absolutely hilarious as it was for Kieth to say "I took a glance at the appeal itself and it is way too fucking long for me to read, it's locked I am not reading it," the entire reason this complaint came up to begin with was this guy felt he wasn't being listened to, and was being trampled over, and that is the reason the ban appeal was so long to begin with.

I don't think anyone said explicitly "Hey gamer, we ARE listening to the reasons you're throwing down, what we are telling you, is that those reasons are not good enough. We're not just labelling them as excuses and ignoring them, they have been considered, they are not valid"

Maybe its just impossible to satisfy some people, maybe TBM and Timber did their best to make that click, but ultimately I don't think it did.

iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #700717

The Ligger ruling is a lovely high point, it's such a good way of getting the word slowly driven out and replaced without banning it, which was never really practical.

Idk how we ended up talking about shuttle stuff in this thread but same, shuttle cockpit is just anarchic free-for-all zone. Station bridge has always been a bit similar. From an IC perspective why are all these random 'staff' just hanging out casually in a secure area? And of course if you ever fight them the odds are that you'll just get mobbed by multiple people and lose your baton (which unless you're sec is all you've got, no ranged non-lethal). Shuttle is far worse since you wont even be able to stand in a place where a shove isn't going to topple you / push you into someone. Maybe something in the style of the Ligger ruling could be adapted here, idk, would be nice to clean it up a bit though (average Head of Staff enjoyer).

There was something I found "odd" that never left internal discussion so I can't really talk about it, but it ended up reaching resolution satisfactorily so all good really.

Re: Starlord_gwyn, given their retraining was of their own choice for re-familiarisation to then lead to this causing them to be demoted versus if they /hadn't/ taken this choice, remained game admin and not been subject to that demotion path, does seem a little awkward ; if they were forcibly demoted, perhaps the expected activity of a trainee should apply, but in these circumstances I don't have an issue with them remaining subject to "normal" game admin inactivity policy (which is a new rabbit hole of discussion in its self usually)