Syndi Motivation

I cast magic missile at the darkness
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Syndi Motivation

Post by Pybro » #53043

ANIMAL RIGHTS CONSORTIUM
As the shift begins, you remember back to the drum circle under the oaks on Plorfex 9. Jazzy tunes float from a sitar. A Yogi dances to the rhythms in the background. An Orangutang, it's intelligence uplifted through surgery and meditation, uses a hooka while a crowd of bears lazily eat raisins, "Alright, like, remember maaaaan, we're sending you in to like, [objective]. Hurt all those Capitalist fur wearers as much as you, like, like, maaaan", your handler said. But his tone quickly turned stern, even under the shade of the great banyan tree you could see the seriousness on his face, "But make sure NOT to hurt the pets or monkeys, like, okay, maaaan?". The soothing beats faded as you fell asleep, and your handler said, "Oh, and, y'know, [escape objective]".

CYBERSUN INDUSTRIES
PROCESSING. THE DATA LINK IN YOUR MIND ACTIVATES. A CODED BLUESPACE STREAM BEAMS FORTH. THE CYPHER KEY WHERE YOUR KIDNEY ONCE WAS DECODES IT. PROCESSING. A MEMORY STREAM REACTIVATES ITSELF IN YOUR MIND. THE HANDLER DICTATES: YOUR AUGMENTS AND IMPLANTS HAVE BEEN HIDDEN UNDER A VENEER OF FLESH. THIS VENEER HAS BEEN CALCULATED TO GIVE YOU ENOUGH TO COMPLETE YOUR GOAL (SEE: MEMORY STREAM [objective]). BE SUBTLE. AID OTHER CYBERSUN OPERATIVES IF NECESSARY. BUT. YOUR VENEER WILL ONLY LAST SO LONG. ENSURE YOU [escape objective] SO AS TO NOT BE DISCOVERED. MEMORY STREAM END.

DONK CO.
As a crew member passes you, you glance at their right hand. It makes you think of your handler, and the hook he waved around as he explained your mission. Down in the dark cargo hold of the space flyte, "Matey, you understand we be sendin' you into dangerous territory, arrr? These Nanotrasen landlubbers, not to be trusted, arrr. Murders! Rapists! Genocidal, they are! Every space dollar you make them lose is a dollar goin' to the families of all the pirates and colonists who they've killed! Arr, make no mistake, arrrs is a righteous mission, which is why we're havin' you [objective]! After you rob those poop deck swabbers blind, [escape objective]! Ahoy!"

GORLEX MARAUDERS
Not even the mental reconditioning you went through could make you forget your hatred of Nanotrasen and their Communist Oppression. Your handler pointed at you sternly as he told you the details, pointing the only light in the room right in your face to obscure your vision of the stripe hatted man, "Get in. [objective]. Murder everyone in the process. You aren't there to have fun. You're there to kill and [objective]. Every last Nanotrasen dog left alive is one more mutt standing between humanity and freedom. What are you looking at me for? Go out and kill. Remember, if you fuck up, we'll nuke your family. HOORAH!"

SELF
0111000001100101011100100110011001101111011100100110110100100000011011110110001001101010011001010110001101110100011010010111011001100101

TIGER COOPERATIVE
...And Ofjfpl-quIQQiddp did say, "FLORJQHIGHGJG(sound of a truck backfiring)KQKkajoZZPssss? JQFGJGGHHAA(distant wrench noises)! OAKojsghghgIIIII(sound of an alien chuckling)", and so too shall we Floxizpkyqurrrtrtra. And as the almighty did qggiDDDqijgmzkz, must we not qjqjqjjqjqjQQQQQjjjjj as the most gracious (swan honking) of planet (the faint sound of a watermelon dropped from tall building), must you too qloririfkfkfkfkfkfkFFFFKKKKK. You, acolyte, must QQQIQIQIQQKQKQIQKQ(the sound made by the last grain of rice as in one's bowl as it is picked up by a forklift)KQIQkkkkQQQQQKKK; your right of passage into the brotherhood of the most (sound of an obese squirrel crying) shall be to [objective]. Trust none but the enlightened (noise made by a dying centipede) on your (the word "mission" made by inhaling rather than exhaling). [escape objective] and collect your (sound of breakfast cereal being crushed by starfish) to join the ranks of the OGLUYGKhbnmqjnKhqklqkjpqkwnkjdndMADFHADVDWWWhqjkqjq. As the great QJOfndlqqQJQKKkaksjdfkasSDFfakfk did say, the rising of the...

WAFFLE CO.
You met the handler in an old Waffdonalds. He worked the fryers from the shadows, as he told you your objectives. "[objective]. I know you aren't a clown, but try to make it funny. Those commies deserve every ounce of humiliation they get. Get out by [escape objective]. And remember: Funny", as you turned to leave your foot squished into a banana peel. You fell backwards, and everything went dark. You awoke on the shuttle, heading to Space Station 13.

MI13
It was dark. The rain fell on the city streets like a drunk husband on his tramp wife. A cat yowled in the background as the hover cars whizzed by. The handler had wanted to meet here. You didn't like this job, but money didn't grow on trees and you lived nowhere near anything green. You entered the alley, swallowed up by the dark. A man in a stylish coat and trilby stepped forth from around the corner, envelope in hand. He walked past, sliding it into yours, taking a puff on his cigarette as he walked by. He rounded the corner into the shadows. You didn't dare follow, you had a job to do. As you walked out of the alley, you cracked open the envelope: 1. [objective], 2. [escape objective].
Spoiler:
I made these ages ago for fun. Another thread in this section motivated me to finally do the writefagging and post them
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Syndi Motivation

Post by paprika » #53044

>gorlex marauders isn't a guy with a viking helmet and an axe

They are big boss' outer haven personified, it only makes sense that they would be a wild band of mercs!

Also NT is capitalist megacorp as fuck, not commies.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #53045

No according to https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Syndicate, which is what I based this all off of. Vikings are cool too though.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53046

Who the fuck wrote that awful page, nanotrasen literally fights communist russians why would they be communists, at best they're ex mega chinese/united states megacorp with chinese roots but even then the chinese megacorps are very capitalistic.

Awful wiki page, 0/10, purge immediately.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #53058

paprika wrote:Who the fuck wrote that awful page, nanotrasen literally fights communist russians why would they be communists, at best they're ex mega chinese/united states megacorp with chinese roots but even then the chinese megacorps are very capitalistic.

Awful wiki page, 0/10, purge immediately.

Backstory wiki has good tidbits but needs some overhaul. Maybe we can make this thread discussion and coordination for said rewriting?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53062

We've had a billion threads on it but I don't know how to edit wikis.

Bay uses a 'chinese and american supercorps end up ruling the world and expanding into space for colonization/to get away from the nuked-to-fuck earth' IIRC and one of said corporations happens to be NT, the one that initially discovered and subsequently started banking on plasma. A lot of characters on bay are chinese and the character I used to play there was also asian. It makes a lot of sense if you believe in a retro future kind of scenario, but NT is certainly not communist if any other hints of lore are to be believed. All in all, I think lore is good for roleplay, but getting TOO hasty and setting everything down in stone besides a few things that are critical to character roleplay is not such a good idea.

Bay's 'sol common' language is a mix between english and mandarin, IIRC, which i thought was neat.

If you're going to look to anywhere to steal lore from, look to bay, they have a pretty solid lore foundation on their server for the syndicate and what not.
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #53076

A lot of people seem to think Nanotrasen is communist just because the employees on one of their space stations don't utilize currency for the goods and services provided on the station which is ridiculous.

As for the different Syndicate organizations I've always liked the idea of Cybersun Industries having superior mind-altering technology compared to Nanotrasen which is why loyalty implants are ineffective against traitors and why they have an instantaneous and non-implanting method of converting people to a revolution with a mere flash (Doesn't really make sense why all flashes including ones provided to security are able to do it in a headrev's hands though, maybe the headrevs are implanted with something that changes the electromagnetic radiation of the flash or some shit???).
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53081

Headrevs are likely able to modify flashes in some way to brainwash people. I wish they got a pen implanting device instead of a flash honestly, it would be a lot stealthier.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53089

Our lore is clearly fragmented with multiple people having their own idea of where to take it, yet no one finished it.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #53090

>commies
Stop it. That's not how communism works.
paprika wrote:Bay uses a 'chinese and american supercorps end up ruling the world and expanding into space for colonization/to get away from the nuked-to-fuck earth' IIRC and one of said corporations happens to be NT, the one that initially discovered and subsequently started banking on plasma.
ACTUALLY on Bay Sol Central is the main governing body of humanity. Earth becomes a war torn, resource dry, hell hole so over the centuries everyone just starts fucking off into space. Mars is the capital of humanity and despite all the trans-stellar corporations like NT having their own armadas and stuff they still for some reason answer to Sol central, so saying supercorps end up ruling the world isn't entirely true. IIRC there was one planet NT de-facto "owned" but it may have been retconned.

Bay has more flushed out cat lore than lore on stuff like NT and humanity though so yeah.
paprika wrote:A lot of characters on bay are chinese and the character I used to play there was also asian.

That was just us, the gay dude who got married, and the one lady with the robit leg. Bay has more honkies and furries than chines. :(
Scones

Post by Scones » #53113

paprika wrote:We've had a billion threads on it but I don't know how to edit wikis.
Steelpoint wrote:Our lore is clearly fragmented with multiple people having their own idea of where to take it, yet no one finished it.
Well, let's finish it, or at least get some agreed-upon clarity. I'm not too bad with wikis.

What's our consensus on the status of humanity (Disregarding the past - Looking at their current condition)? Spread across the stars with megacorporations oftentimes being the only reliable centers of power?

The way I've personally handled it ICly is that those who don't live on corporate-owned megastations live on border worlds that are little more than glorified agricultural/mining colonies. Most human life is in some way connected to some large business.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53114

WeeYakk wrote:
paprika wrote:A lot of characters on bay are chinese and the character I used to play there was also asian.

That was just us, the gay dude who got married, and the one lady with the robit leg. Bay has more honkies and furries than chines. :(
Shut up nobody here actually plays bay and I want to see more asians on sybil

TOPIC: let's form an official lore council or an IRC channel or something and sperg about it for a while and write up a page to go along with the one that steelpoint wrote earlier about lizards and shit rather than just ranting on the forums.
Scones

Post by Scones » #53115

paprika wrote: TOPIC: let's form an official lore council or an IRC channel or something and sperg about it for a while and write up a page to go along with the one that steelpoint wrote earlier about lizards and shit rather than just ranting on the forums.
I'm down. What's the plan? Or rather, where are we to plan further.
TZK13

Post by TZK13 » #53122

I'm not sure how I feel about setting out the exact lore behind things that aren't directly involved in the day to day operations of a Nanotrasen space station. Like the lore behind how Nanotrasen came to be and how the Syndicate operates is cool but I'm not so fond of dictating what happened to Earth and such.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53125

I used to hold that opinion but it starts to suffocate roleplay if you leave EVERYTHING up to ambiguity. You have to plant SOME kind of a seed for roleplayers to work off of, man!
TZK13

Post by TZK13 » #53138

I suppose, I'm just worried it'd cause needless bickering between people who want a more lighthearted universe and people who want the edgiverse considering that sort of thing infests a lot of topics already like the choice of clothing for security.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #53144

TZK13 wrote:people who want a more lighthearted universe and people who want the edgiverse
Why not both? Through the magic of GRIMDERP
Scones

Post by Scones » #53155

WeeYakk wrote: GRIMDERP
Sounds about right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53157

We're in a situation where people rely more on headcanon for roleplay than actual established canon, forgetting the oft brought up Nanotrasen being Communist line, things like what humanity is, the status of Earth, is there a government and everything in between are things mostly left up to the imagination.

E: On topic, I think the Gorlax should have either military helmets/gas masks or Viking helmets as pap suggested.
Scones

Post by Scones » #53159

Steelpoint wrote: E: On topic, I think the Gorlax should have either military helmets/gas masks or Viking helmets as pap suggested.
When I think Gorlax Maruaders, I think Barret, the first boss from DE:HR. Big guy with military-grade augments but a distinctive piercing that adds a certain barbaric look
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #53185

I've said this countless times, but there is a reason why the backstory is vague at best. It lets everyone do whatever they want. I have a whole headcanon for the Syndicate (Cybersun Industries is their leader but merely supplies the other organizations with supplies and they hardly ever send operatives themselves) but that's just what it is: a headcanon.

All power to the headcanon.

MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #53298

Cecily wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: E: On topic, I think the Gorlax should have either military helmets/gas masks or Viking helmets as pap suggested.
When I think Gorlax Maruaders, I think Barret, the first boss from DE:HR. Big guy with military-grade augments but a distinctive piercing that adds a certain barbaric look
I thought they were like the low-tech space suits and chemical propelent guns of old before the ops got hardsuits

And isn't Nanotrasen just a corporate state that has the same things as communism like ownership of everything?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #53304

paprika wrote:Headrevs are likely able to modify flashes in some way to brainwash people. I wish they got a pen implanting device instead of a flash honestly, it would be a lot stealthier.
SS13 is fairly low-res so there's a lot of mechanical minutiae that goes on that nobody actually sees on screen. Windows pop into existence after a few seconds, consoles materialize out of the ether, etc. We can imagine then that the headrevs are doing all of this through a similar level of slight of hand.