Nonhumans and their validity

Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Nonhumans and their validity

Post by Nilons » #289349

I'd rather make a policy thread than an admin complaint because if they're preceded by policy there can be no misunderstanding.

I was recently in a situation where I was transformed into a fly person by a teleporter. After which a borg ran up to me while I was alone in the bridge (I was captain at the time) and killed me on the spot. The admin who came online to help deemed it valid salad without conversing with me about it. Are nonhumans instantly valid to borgs? And if so why do people not spawn as borg so they can murder liggers with impunity?

Edit: Unsure if its relevant but this was also a rev round so this borg took a head out of action and assisted the revs essentially. All while it had asimov lawset
Last edited by Nilons on Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Nonhumans and their validity

Post by Screemonster » #289353

Nilons wrote:Are nonhumans instantly valid to borgs?
No.

There may have been something else you weren't aware of but silicons can no more murder another player FNR than humans (who don't have laws) can.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #289355

Screemonster wrote: No.

There may have been something else you weren't aware of but silicons can no more murder another player FNR than humans (who don't have laws) can.
The reason Im making this thread is because that was specifically ruled against in the round I was playing, and I want as many admins and players to weigh in as possible. I agree with you on that, they should be counted like humans.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #289357

You're still protected under rule one but if you so much as punch a human then you're valid. If silicons think you could harm a human, valid.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #289359

Assuming there is not further context and the borg was standard asimov the admin was mistaken.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #289361

Kor wrote:Assuming there is not further context and the borg was standard asimov the admin was mistaken.
Further context is that I had interacted with the borg in a nonharmful way earlier in the round as a human, and I cannot recall harming anyone during the round (which is actually pretty strange for me as captain). I fell out of the teleporter into the bridge a fly person taking toxin damage (I assume from the teleporter mistake) and the HoP defended my fly person ass for a bit from greytiders breaking into the bridge. Then the borg came in, I asked it to heal me, then it sawd me to death and I went down in two hits from the teleporter damage. Id just like to restate this is not an admin complaint, I feel there was ambiguity and if mistakes were made then for them not to be made again
Signature Memes

lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #289368

Sounds like there is more to it than just straight murdering because you were non-human. Even if non-humans lack the asimov law 1 protection, you still have the server rule 1, which wouldn't let you kill people for no reason.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #289374

lzimann wrote:Sounds like there is more to it than just straight murdering because you were non-human. Even if non-humans lack the asimov law 1 protection, you still have the server rule 1, which wouldn't let you kill people for no reason.
The further details you might be referring to are that I made it illegal to bully me about my name, then the borg said you cant gulag a borg and called my name retarded, so I locked him down dragged him to the gulag then dragged him back to the station over the course of maybe 5 minutes. If that constitutes validity then I've made a critical error
Signature Memes

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #289377

The ruling on this is essentially that Asimovs would treat non-human carbons as regular humans would treat each other under server rule 1 (don't kill for no reason, kill when appropriate escalation happens), but they can also kill non-humans if commanded to by a human through law two, in which case whoever ordered them to do so would be held responsible by admins. I won't speak for your specific case, but that is the current ruling on this. Thanks for the policy question, this is resolvable now. If the specific incident you're talking about here was legitimately ruled incorrectly, PM me and I'll see what I can do later.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #289615

Nilons wrote:
lzimann wrote:Sounds like there is more to it than just straight murdering because you were non-human. Even if non-humans lack the asimov law 1 protection, you still have the server rule 1, which wouldn't let you kill people for no reason.
The further details you might be referring to are that I made it illegal to bully me about my name, then the borg said you cant gulag a borg and called my name retarded, so I locked him down dragged him to the gulag then dragged him back to the station over the course of maybe 5 minutes. If that constitutes validity then I've made a critical error
Like adminhelps policy questions like this can be cut short if you provide more details.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.