the syndicate shuttle rule

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

the syndicate shuttle rule

Post by Armhulen » #368764

The two big reasons we had a snowflake rule about not searching for the syndie ship are both gone, the rule should no longer exist.

first reason: telescience bombs into the 5 shuttle spots the shuttle could exist at.
no longer an issue because telescience is gone but ALSO because the shuttle doesn't have the same spots.

second reason: people would search the same 5 spots for the shuttle
>the shuttle doesn't have the same spots.
if i recall correctly, the shuttle now has blast doors and invincible walls. it can be in any direction in any spot on the z-level. we should start letting people search for it again.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: the syndicate shuttle rule

Post by Saegrimr » #368766

Does the shuttle have the turrets on it still? If yes that sounds reasonable, if not then yeah fuck that drop an IR laser TTV at the front door and wait.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #368767

this is a great point and i'm dumb for opening this, i just don't know why we have this crazy reward for bombing the syndicate base if it's also bannable
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #368771

The walls aren't indestructible but it does have turrets and they do target non-syndicate borgs now
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #368774

Double external turrets with increased coverage and add some internal turrets. Have a beepsky alternate that stun batons non syndis then eswords them instead of cuffing but make it so the bot can't leave or work outside the shuttle. Have viscerator dispensers mounted on some walls that trigger if non syndis come near them.

Most importantly have anything defensive send warning when destroyed on the syndi channel and put in some air alarms that do similar so syndis can nip back and slam down on shuttle boarders.

Use some drat creativity then remove the rule it can move around now there isn't anything meta about it other than curmudgeonly admins wringing their hands.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #368776

Shuttle doesn't have invincible walls.

Also turrets are easily cheesable and not that reliant.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #368788

BeeSting12 wrote:Image
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #368793

It's pretty exciting when someone follows the disk back there using a pinpointer and nabs the nuke at the last second

Randomly searching for it usually just kinda cuts the round short though
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #368794

Yeah, I didn't mean stuff like what Kor said. That's fine, and it's pretty fun. I meant randomly searching for the ops ship- It's not that hard to figure out where they landed based on where they entered from or even canvas the whole z-level. It would kinda suck if every ops round an op had to stay behind to guard the ship or else the nuke will be taken.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #368795

As I said make it alert the ops then the breacher can be sandwiched between nuke ops and whatever static defence they are trying to cheese.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #368798

D&B wrote:Shuttle doesn't have invincible walls.

Also turrets are easily cheesable and not that reliant.
They're a little harder to cheese with structure damage, plus they shouldn't be insurmountable for obvious reasons
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #368810

Just make the shuttle indestructible and have a “laser grid” that only lets syndis through.
I play Boris Pepper.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #368817

Or have a ghost role people can re-enter even if someone ghosts themselves from it bound to the shuttle with the sole purpose of killing non syndi intruders.

All sorts of more interesting options than HRP style forbidden city shit.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #368848

Randomly searching for the shuttle is still quite dumb. Even with the shuttle position changing, I know we'd see people purposefully take off to cheese it. It's still better option to leave it where you can mess with the shuttle if you managed to follow them in some shape or form.
Freedom
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368863

the turrets are a joke they're not going to keep any respectable powergamer out.
we can nuke the syndicate base yes but it normally involves killing all the ops and getting one of their ids/a cyborg and following an op back to ship to get it and nuke them.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #368866

keep the rules as they are, there's no reason to change something that could result in dumb rounds. The nukies would have to expect people on their ship and that's no fun.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #368888

I don't see why it needs to change either personally. Crew can still follow ops and the pinpointer to the ship but otherwise they should not search for it.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368895

Something only lightly touched on here is what this rule does to preserve somewhat the balance of the roundtype. A typical scenario will mean the ops are wildly outnumbered. In the case of warops, not only are they outnumbered, they're also likely out gunned and the station configuration will be modified to block them out. That means that while the ops are chasing the disk around in an already odds-against scenario, there's any of about 20 or more people with nothing else to do than get suits and jump into space to find the nuke. This is interesting for literally nobody. The ops go through the struggle against the crew, come up with the disk and come back to a stalemate minor victory because the resources they were given to get the disk didn't also cover the no-fun squad that spaced the nuke instead of defending the disk.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #368896

this has now got me thinking whether there's an easy way to have a non-syndicate boarding the shuttle generate an adminmessage like "Urist Mcgreyshirt has boarded the syndicate shuttle [with|without] a pinpointer, the disk [is|is not] nearby." with a jump-to link or something
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368897

Screemonster wrote:this has now got me thinking whether there's an easy way to have a non-syndicate boarding the shuttle generate an adminmessage like "Urist Mcgreyshirt has boarded the syndicate shuttle [with|without] a pinpointer, the disk [is|is not] nearby." with a jump-to link or something
You'd just have to check shuttle turf contents and compare the role on the ID/lack of ID when somebody enters or leaves a shuttle turf.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #368898

cedarbridge wrote:Something only lightly touched on here is what this rule does to preserve somewhat the balance of the roundtype.
Lots of people value the sanctity of rule 4 and their right to win at all costs more than they do the game being fun or functional
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #368905

I think there should be a ghost role which job is to protect the ship, but cant go 7 tiles away from the ship or else hell explode.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #369027

If people could legally search for the ship I doubt a singular individual could successfully defend it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #369030

Cobby wrote:If people could legally search for the ship I doubt a singular individual could successfully defend it.
With a dedicated shuttle locked ghost role in it it would also be mobile. The shuttle would need to be beefed into a home alone style hell hole apart from that anyway.

Not looking for the vehicle hostile boarders used to came near your space station in the middle of bumfuck nowhere isn't a huge leap and makes a lot of sense IC really.

Just the shuttle needs an upgrade now the location is no longer pre locked to a few easily metagamed areas.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #369042

Incomptinence wrote:
Cobby wrote:If people could legally search for the ship I doubt a singular individual could successfully defend it.
With a dedicated shuttle locked ghost role in it it would also be mobile. The shuttle would need to be beefed into a home alone style hell hole apart from that anyway.

Not looking for the vehicle hostile boarders used to came near your space station in the middle of bumfuck nowhere isn't a huge leap and makes a lot of sense IC really.

Just the shuttle needs an upgrade now the location is no longer pre locked to a few easily metagamed areas.
The map is too small and the station is too large. The shuttle cant really hide.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #369050

The rule has mostly worked for 7+ years to ensure the mode doesnt get cheesed by powergamers while still leaving room for exciting last minute grabs.

A ghost role or invincible walls or whatever could both fail at stopping people going out of their to find the shuttle and potentially shut down attempts at last minute saves. Dont see the upside in risking making the game less fun. Dont need to fix what isnt broken.