What does the crew know about antagonists?

Should we add the additional rule to the roleplay rules?

Yes
15%
Yes
15%
Yes
15%
No
19%
No
19%
No
19%

Total votes: 108

QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

What does the crew know about antagonists?

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41153

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ideally this thread should come about creating a line that can be inserted in the roleplay rules that explains what crew members know or don't know about antagonists and their items.

Unlike some heavy RP servers, it's pretty much standard that everyone knows what antagonists are and what their items look like. When someone yells "Nuke ops!" everyone knows what to do, just like how everyone knows what to do when they encounter a changeling (more or less). I don't have a problem with this, and I'm assuming the majority of the playerbase doesn't as well. Yet there have been times in the past newer players have perhaps been unsure about whether or not they would recognize a chameleon projector as Syndicate tech, or if a new religious movement on the station is indeed a dangerous cult. From an IC perspective, I like that we play this way as it only makes sense that all the crew members would be briefed on the various dangers that could potentially put Nanotrasen's property at risk.

So I'd like to propose adding an additional roleplay rule:

"Members of the crew are allowed, if they wish, to roleplay that they have practical knowledge of the different antagonist types, their items, and their abilities, that they could potentially end up facing on their shift. Rule 3 of the Primary Policies takes precedent over this however."

I'll leave the poll open for switching answers, I'll also change or update the line above if there are any suggestions.

EDIT: I'm only trying to come up with a rule that makes what we all basically know already explicit for new players who are reading the rules.
Last edited by QuartzCrystal on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: What does the crew know about antagonists?

Post by Steelpoint » #41419

Scott wrote:Backing away from your claims?
What I'm saying is that just because I have the right to do something does not necessarily mean its in my best interests to do it. If I acted similar to how people like Juan-Luc Price acted (Essentially played Security by the book literally) I would be one of the most unpopular if not reviled Security player on tg station.

You need to be intelligent when playing Security, you have access to a wide range of powers but knowing when to use them to your benefit, and when to not use them, is a key factor in playing Security.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #41420

Go lose your title and search random people in the HoP line at round start.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #41423

Scott wrote:Go lose your title and search random people in the HoP line at round start.
Why would I want to search people in the HoP line at round start? While I can do that why would I want to do that?
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41444

Please stop going incredibly off topic. Stop talking about what we're already allowed to do, etc. This is not the point of this thread.

The point is to decide if we think it's beneficial to have a rule that makes our unwritten implicit rule explicit and available for viewing by everyone.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #41561

Scott wrote:You need a valid reason.
You're retarded, no you don't, and if you scream that you do to the officer who's asking to randomly search you, you're going to get tazed.

You can, for example, break out the barricades and flashers and set up a road block on that intersection between medbay, the bar, and the rest of the station and perform searches on every last living soul to come through if you feel so inclined.

You can perform random searches on the HoP line.

You don't have to TAZE people, but you can do all of these things, and any 'valid reason' could literally be 'this important thing was stolen, we're searching everyone we come across until someone coughs it up.'

If you try to ahelp over this, you're going to get laughed at if the admin is competent.

In any case, I always felt that this thread was always the rule. I've never gotten BWOINKED for taking thermals off of assistant McEbow and checking if they are what they seem to be and knowing how to use them.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41562

Raven776 wrote:
Scott wrote:You need a valid reason.
You're retarded, no you don't, and if you scream that you do to the officer who's asking to randomly search you, you're going to get tazed.

You can, for example, break out the barricades and flashers and set up a road block on that intersection between medbay, the bar, and the rest of the station and perform searches on every last living soul to come through if you feel so inclined.

You can perform random searches on the HoP line.

You don't have to TAZE people, but you can do all of these things, and any 'valid reason' could literally be 'this important thing was stolen, we're searching everyone we come across until someone coughs it up.'

If you try to ahelp over this, you're going to get laughed at if the admin is competent.

In any case, I always felt that this thread was always the rule. I've never gotten BWOINKED for taking thermals off of assistant McEbow and checking if they are what they seem to be and knowing how to use them.
I've randomly searched heads of staff and submitted to random searches as a head of staff under Blue Alert. You don't have to like doing either of these things but they are within the scope of "being security."
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #41612

I think the blue alert specifically says random searches are permitted.

Anyone running around as an unknown is always prime for being stopped and searched.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #41716

As far as the whole RP/IC knowledge thing goes, I like to think that before they arrive to the station, the entire crew is forced to sit through an awful, boring, two hour long powerpoint slideshow about Syndicate's and their gear and what it does. Then shortly after that the AI and Cyborg are unwillingly force fed all the data from the powerpoint. Considering the Uplink caption on the syndicate hardsuit, I don't think I'm far off.
/vg/station Head Admin
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #41728

An0n3 wrote:I think the blue alert specifically says random searches are permitted.

Anyone running around as an unknown is always prime for being stopped and searched.
Blue alert is not an excuse to power game. If any security officer starts making random searches and confiscating everything at roundstart, you will ban them.

Edit because I don't want to post more offtopic: Stop ignoring the link firecage posted.
Last edited by Scott on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #41827

Scott wrote:
An0n3 wrote:I think the blue alert specifically says random searches are permitted.

Blue alert is not an excuse to power game. If any security officer starts making random searches and confiscating everything at roundstart, you will ban them.
That's not powergaming.
:^)
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41830

Guys stop talking about what is and is not powergaming. Holy shit. This isn't the issue.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41834

<buzzwords>
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #41875

Scott wrote:

no he wont because he doesnt have to listen to you or your quite literally incorrect interpretation of the rules
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #41876

Intigracy told us to tell you that this happened: http://wildhogs.canadian-pharmacy.us/ph ... =28&t=3492

Inti couldnt do it himself due to a cat pissing on his remote access or something.
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #41880

You guys are seriously killing me inside with this off topic conversation.

I'll just delete the thread and start over.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #41889

Guess how many times this thread has been made since you were gone quartz
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #41914

Spoiler:
I'm sorry Quartz, but not sorry enough to not make this post.
Scott wrote:

There's a special kind of stupid in the new player that tells the headmin how to do his job.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #41967

Cipher3 wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm sorry Quartz, but not sorry enough to not make this post.
Scott wrote:

There's a special kind of stupid in the new player that tells the headmin how to do his job.
Especially when its one of the people that have been around almost forever.

Especially especially when that's the whole fucking point of Code Blue.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #42420

I have a question, does this antag knowledge apply to changeling powers too? Earlier today there was a discussion in OOC about a HoS who keeps coffee and ointment in his backpack at all times to protect against coldstings, with admins calling that "powergaming" and players calling that "being prepared". I think that RP-wise as the HoS is expected to know about traitor items, he should have a grasp of changeling powers too.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #42422

Grazyn wrote:I have a question, does this antag knowledge apply to changeling powers too? Earlier today there was a discussion in OOC about a HoS who keeps coffee and ointment in his backpack at all times to protect against coldstings, with admins calling that "powergaming" and players calling that "being prepared". I think that RP-wise as the HoS is expected to know about traitor items, he should have a grasp of changeling powers too.
Preparing for antags that don't yet "exist" is meta by definition. You can know what defines an antag and you an know what they are capable of, but taking steps to specifically counter antags that you cannot say even exist is silly. I shouldn't be welding the external airlocks to the station or AI sat shut because "nukeops" any more than I should be carrying around anti-burn meds because "coldstings" without indication that there are lings (and lings even using cyrosting is the first place) even on the station in the first place.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #42511

cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I have a question, does this antag knowledge apply to changeling powers too? Earlier today there was a discussion in OOC about a HoS who keeps coffee and ointment in his backpack at all times to protect against coldstings, with admins calling that "powergaming" and players calling that "being prepared". I think that RP-wise as the HoS is expected to know about traitor items, he should have a grasp of changeling powers too.
Preparing for antags that don't yet "exist" is meta by definition. You can know what defines an antag and you an know what they are capable of, but taking steps to specifically counter antags that you cannot say even exist is silly. I shouldn't be welding the external airlocks to the station or AI sat shut because "nukeops" any more than I should be carrying around anti-burn meds because "coldstings" without indication that there are lings (and lings even using cyrosting is the first place) even on the station in the first place.
More or less this.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus