Movement Speed

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

Dr_bee

Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Movement Speed

Postby Dr_bee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am #462203

obscolene wrote:
confused rock wrote:lmao obscolene how much time are you spending doing literally nothing but walking around I cannot even conceive of being bored by that, look around, talk, listen to radio, sort your inventory, a lot of things are more boring than moving.

this is an over month late reply but literally all i ever do in ss13 is run in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme

Have you considered roleplaying?

MrStonedOne
Host

Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Postby MrStonedOne » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:20 am #462207

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:
confused rock wrote:lmao obscolene how much time are you spending doing literally nothing but walking around I cannot even conceive of being bored by that, look around, talk, listen to radio, sort your inventory, a lot of things are more boring than moving.

this is an over month late reply but literally all i ever do in ss13 is run in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme

Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

[10:55 AM] spookydonut: stonedmc is the work of a criminally insane mad genius

confused rock

Byond Username: The unloved rock

Postby confused rock » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:05 pm #462228

Even if he doesn't consider it, all he does is "run around in fucking circles around the station until someone is Trying To Kick My Fucking Ass Then It's Show TIme" then lowered move speed won't cause him any problems, since he never had a destination.

WarbossLincoln

Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Postby WarbossLincoln » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:59 pm #463039

since he never had a destination

Sometimes the journey matters more than the destination.
--Crocodillo

cacogen

Byond Username: Cacogen

Postby cacogen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:54 am #464061

in which we pretend /tg/station is a roleplaying server
Spoiler:

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:29 am #464067

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:

>Roleplaying.

Yeah, if I'm the mime.

Otherwise, I'd look a bit silly using the ME verb on this low-RP station!
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

obscolene

Byond Username: Obscolene

Postby obscolene » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:23 am #464078

Dr_bee wrote:
obscolene wrote:

i play ss13 to play the game, not type words. if i wanted to roleplay, i'd play a roleplaying game. i've spent thousands of more hours playing hardcore roleplaying games than i have ss13, and i'm talking about Literally Typing Out Paragraphs For Every Single Action You Do kind of roleplay that would put ss13 high RP to shame
sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)

[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

confused rock

Postby confused rock » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:35 pm #464238

if you wanna play the game then play call of duty nigga everyone is fucking terrified of change these days like quirks and moods can be completely ignored because if they effected gameplay then that'd mean people would have to care that they exist and if they had to care that they exist then they'd cry about it to no end

Mickyan
Github User

Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Postby Mickyan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:36 pm #464239

have you considered playing on another server

Just because the rules don't outright disallow your play-style doesn't mean the server's direction needs to cater to you
I play as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.

Be nice to each other.

PostThis post was deleted by Nervere on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:43 pm.
Reason: offtopic

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:16 pm #464251

Movement speed changes seem to be going fine.
We're at 1.25 right now, soon to be at 1.3, and I haven't had any complaints directed my way.
My one concern is that the movespeed could be a bit too harsh to Bagil, which frequently suffers from high time dilation levels when the population is high.
This may be a larger concern when we reach the full delay of 1.5. We'll see how it works out. If it becomes a problem, we may be able to just do an override to make Bagil slightly faster.

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Postby Cobby » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:28 pm #464453

did it fix whatever you guys were trying to fix with it? I haven't seen a playstyle difference.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Postby Dax Dupont » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 pm #464466

It's hell on Terry since it lags a lot and we're getting a lot of complaints from players due the combo of lag and move speed

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:05 pm #464472

Cobby wrote:did it fix whatever you guys were trying to fix with it? I haven't seen a playstyle difference.

I believe part of it was because a large part of tg combat turned into running and slipping, meaning if you knew what you were doing any assistant with a fire extinguisher could bring down an officer (only the smarter ones knew to hang back).

What with slip rework and movement speed, I’d say its doing its job. Might be just me but I think sec is a bit easier now, with disablers buffed every sec officer just uses those.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage

PostThis post was deleted by Nervere on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 pm.

subject217
Github User

Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Postby subject217 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 pm #464619

movespeed has nothing to do with lag, and it doesn't adversely affect basil at all. people are just finding an excuse to whine. the current delay is some serious baby shit and even at the "final" delay of 1.5 it is still literally nothing.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

PostThis post was deleted by Nervere on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:44 pm.

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Lmwevil

Postby lmwevil » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:56 pm #464628

i think the delays are fine how they are, if it gets any slower things like new bubblegum will become physically impossible, no more ramping up kthx

also @subject it's more the movespeed interaction with lag they're referring to

Dr_bee

Byond Username: DrBee

Postby Dr_bee » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:02 am #464641

I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:16 am #464645

subject217 wrote:movespeed has nothing to do with lag, and it doesn't adversely affect basil at all. people are just finding an excuse to whine. the current delay is some serious baby shit and even at the "final" delay of 1.5 it is still literally nothing.

With more lag and higher delays it adds up and it becomes worse to move since you're already moving slower.

4dplanner

Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Postby 4dplanner » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:26 am #464651

When Terry bumps up to 100% Time Dilation and you have to watch everything move in slow-mo it's pretty disgusting, but I suppose 100% Time Dilation is going to be disgusting no matter what.

Retardedgrayshit

Byond Username: Darkness12344

Postby Retardedgrayshit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 am #465947

Now i know a lot of Gamers hate this movement speed shit and i hate it too but just grab some nuka cola or other drugs and make sec want to kill themself its great

Fatal
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: FatalX1

Postby Fatal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 am #465950

Dr_bee wrote:I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.

This times a thousand

Stun, grab, and run, is basically how most fights seem to end up, given that the runner always has the advantage, if you want to stay and beat that guy to death you should have to pick between running and finishing them off, not both

Istoprocent1

Byond Username: istoprocent

Postby Istoprocent1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 am #465954

Fatal wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:I will say this again and again until it is implemented, there needs to be a movespeed when dragging a person outside of a roller bed.

This times a thousand

Stun, grab, and run, is basically how most fights seem to end up, given that the runner always has the advantage, if you want to stay and beat that guy to death you should have to pick between running and finishing them off, not both

Gotta agree, dragging should slow things down, using a rollerbed should slow down a little less. One also has to keep in mind that antags have speed bonuses from morale.

confused rock

Postby confused rock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 pm #465997

Antags don't have speed bonuses, but you get speed malices if you manage to be in an extremely shitty mood for an extremely long time, which is harder when antags get a mood buff, but hard for anyone.

Maybe it'd actually lead to the dragnet being used as intended, to teleport prisoners. ha ha, that won't ever happen until sec gets its own teleporter.

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am #466496

I seriously dislike this change, it's slooooooooooooooooooow

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Postby lmwevil » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:14 pm #466515

this change has made no difference to rp and made it feel functionally clunky

changing fundamental things such as drag speed are the more notable things

powergamers still drug up with light speed compared to everyone else

in short it's shit, and as i said earlier it won't fix anything, it's an enforcement and mechanical thing that needs to change, not slowing people to a crawl in hopes they'll rp (absolutely bs)

edit: plasmemes are so slow they're almost unplayable now, nobody uses them not even the old mains, this is how bad you made c them.. I WARNED ABOUT THIS

Kryson

Byond Username: Kryson

Postby Kryson » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 pm #466517

On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical. If needed just make plasmamen faster.

Grazyn

Byond Username: Grazyn

Postby Grazyn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:28 pm #466526

Nobody claimed this change would fix RP. But it's hard to even think about RP if people always leave the screen faster than you can type "Hey", which hopefully isn't the case anymore.

Mickyan
Github User

Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Postby Mickyan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:34 pm #466528

lmwevil wrote:this change has made no difference to rp and made it feel functionally clunky

Crazy idea: no single change is going to completely revolutionize the way you play overnight and pretending otherwise is a great way for things to never change for the better

Meanwhile I can finally get people's attention and talk to them before they pop out of existence, if you don't see value in that maybe you're part of the problem this is trying to fix ;)

Any other side effects can be fixed separately, I'd argue plasmamen never warranted having the added slow down in the first place
I play as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.

Be nice to each other.

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 pm #466561

Kryson wrote:On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical.

What does this even mean?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

MrStonedOne
Host

Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Postby MrStonedOne » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:26 pm #466563

You gotta learn how to juke out of the way at the last second for that tacticool feeling
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

[10:55 AM] spookydonut: stonedmc is the work of a criminally insane mad genius

iamgoofball
Github User

Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Postby iamgoofball » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 pm #466568

MrStonedOne wrote:You gotta learn how to juke out of the way at the last second for that tacticool feeling

still may be worth looking into tying final movespeed to ti-di, maybe bump it up if ti-di goes too high and lower it back down to normal if ti-di is operating at normal levels

Kryson

Byond Username: Kryson

Postby Kryson » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:28 pm #466569

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kryson wrote:On contrary I think this change is awesome. Combat feels more tactical.

What does this even mean?

Let me expand upon that.

Because it is easier to hit people, melee combat feels more precise and effective to me. The more robust still win given equal RNG and equipment but it feel less reliant on a perfect connection or spam clicking and hoping the other spaceman walks under your cursor at the right time.

Maybe the problem is that I'm not as super mega robust as some of you guys, but this is how i feel.

Malkraz

Byond Username: Malkraz

Postby Malkraz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:27 am #466714

Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?
The speed we had wasn't so fast as for clicks to be "random" when you understood the combat, and all it's done so far is trivialize disarm > tabling even further for tiders and made movement under lag feel like absolute SHIT.
Franklin Khan says, " Well I know who I'm metagrudging from now on "
Istoprocent: You and Rock Steele definitely metabuddies, proving metacomms will take time but eventually people will figure it out.
Declan Cooper asks, " does rock steel have autism? "
Erik489: Malkraz, I gotta ask, and please be honest. Do you metacomm with Rock Steel?
Lumbermancer: also rock should be killed every round
Willy Willee says, " And he kept spam-tabling me, while his metafriend came over "
ATHATH: Rock Steel, I fucking hate you with a passion. I was alive on the station for less than a minute, you absolute cunt you CREMATING ASSHOLE I GENUINELY *HATE* YOU
Adam Karlsson says, " i just want rock " Shaun McFall says, " you know you'll get harshly punished for this right " Adam Karlsson says, " oh i know "
Aidan Duncan says, " Once again, Rock Steel is the fucking worst person on the station "
Twaticus: malk i hate you why do you ruin everything
Alijah Petrov says, " Actually then, im just gonna start robusting rock steel every time i see him "
Adolph Weinstein says, " I like how we have a wizard onboard, and the only person causing shit is Rock "
[Common] Most Likely Malfunction states, " BORG RETURN TO THE CLONEER AND ISPOSE OF ROCK STEELS BODY. "
Dee Dubya: the fact that Rock Steel hasn't been permabanned is proof enough of how low RP /tg/station really is
hanna banana: Rock Steel pushes me over in game and steals my insuls i get so mad i start screaming

lmwevil
In-Game Admin

Postby lmwevil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:41 am #466715

Malkraz wrote:Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?
The speed we had wasn't so fast as for clicks to be "random" when you understood the combat, and all it's done so far is trivialize disarm > tabling even further for tiders and made movement under lag feel like absolute SHIT.

100% this

Mickyan on the 'maybe you're part of the problem' posted at me earlier, i'm a plasmeme main, we were already slower than sin and couldn't run past people before saying hey, and have always been shit in combat unless you're on the sec fatboi scooter - the slowdown mechanically made sense because of a few boons they got, and made them feel more thematic as spooky boys looming slowly in thick suits, but now you can't do anything

Istoprocent1

Byond Username: istoprocent

Postby Istoprocent1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:58 am #466718

Malkraz wrote:Combat is more strategic and "tactical" at higher speed, because you have to account for that speed. With slower movement the skill gap is tightened as you don't need to be as good at cursor placement and prediction. Would 2 players standing still be more "tactical" than ones that are moving?

Skilled players are able to come out on top regardless of movement speed. The faster the game, the more prone to errors people are and the game just starts revolving around 50/50 plays favoring better latency, larger resolution displays for easier pixel clicking and digital/mechanical aids.

iamgoofball
Github User

Postby iamgoofball » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:23 am #466825

y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Postby Cobby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:01 am #467023

iamgoofball wrote:y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns

I won't say anything if OUR PRESIDENT makes a return ;)

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:24 am #467025

iamgoofball wrote:y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns

I do consider myself very lucky that you are gitbanned.

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:41 am #467065

this nigga really would
Spoiler:

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:51 am #467066

PKPenguin321 wrote:

this nigga really would

I have half a mind to believe that it'd go through honestly.
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

iamgoofball
Github User

Postby iamgoofball » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm #467190

Cobby wrote:

this is ban evasion, fuck off

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:59 am #467266

I honestly can't tell the difference

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 am #467269

oranges wrote:I honestly can't tell the difference

i can and ive been largely on a hiatus the last month, but frankly it's not too bad. you get mostly used to it after maybe 3 rounds. it really does feel fucking awful with lag though
Spoiler:

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 am #467277

I guess its just me, but I feel its a tad bit too slow. Still better than it once was, but I feel taking it down one or two notches would be ideal.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Anuv

Byond Username: Anuv

Postby Anuv » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:19 pm #467330

oranges wrote:I honestly can't tell the difference

Same
"You mess with the best you die like the rest" - Janice "Foxy" Lean
Citadel Station Employee of the Year - Anuv Haifisch, Vulpakin Engineer

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Postby Cobby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:40 am #467635

iamgoofball wrote:
Cobby wrote:

this is ban evasion, fuck off

sorry forgot to get on my nonadmin alt so you'd be able to pickup the sarcasm

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion