Roleplay rules surrounding metagaming and 'staying in your lane' and the negative impacts they cause

scapegoat
Byond Username: Loojee

Roleplay rules surrounding metagaming and 'staying in your lane' and the negative impacts they cause

Post by scapegoat » #547424

This whole shtick revolves around two specific rules on Manuel. These two rules, actually:
Don’t use OOC information or knowledge that your character would not reasonably be aware of just to give yourself an advantage.
In other words, don’t powergame or metagame. This mostly means things like rolling captain every round just so you can always do xenobio, or rushing into chemistry at the start of each round so you can make a suicide grenade just in case.
Stay in your lane.
While you're capable of doing anything within the game mechanics, just let those who have selected the relevant job to attempt the task first. For example, breaking into medical and treating the burns you got from hacking the medical airlock would be a very strange real-life event if there are doctors literally standing there, and while a janitor mixing up some extra space cleaner is very much believable, if there are chemists working in chemistry you should consider asking them to make you your space-cleaner grenades.
These rules sound great in theory, and are usually effective in most situations. However, there are certain situations were breaking these rules is in the best interests of other players and not necessarily yourself. There are two specific examples of this that I will talk about.

1. Every fucking botanist ever
2. Paramedics and teleporters

Example 1: Botanists can do some pretty wack stuff with their job, but to DO wack stuff, they need unstable mutagen. The vast majority of botanists will simply go to tech storage and get themselves a chem dispenser board to make it with. No harm done, right? However, that breaks BOTH the above rules. It breaks the first rule because most botanists do not know molecular chemistry, and the second because that is technically the job of the chemists. But really, this doesn't negatively effect ANYONE and in the vast majority of situations only serves to better the station. (I'm not saying that bad things can't be done with mutated plants, but all in all being able to do the full extent of your job easily and readily is a good thing. This mainly serves to reinforce my second point.)

Example 2: Just recently, a paramedic player was given a week ban from medbay. Every round, he would go get the hand teleporter from the teleporter room, after asking permission from AI and/or command staff, and would use it to recover bodies that had teleporter beacons in them. This, again, is technically in violation of the above two rules. To put it bluntly, that's a hot pile of bullshit. This paramedic was banned from a job for a seven days (that's 168 hours, FYI) for doing something that made his job easier and improved the rounds of a large number of players, while having no negative effect on really, anyone at all. It's good to ban someone for powergaming if it's just to make their round better and break the immersion of the game. This paramedic was not doing either of those things, he was helping others recover from being a corpse so they could continue to enjoy the round. I would also argue that this doesn't really break immersion, either. I can't think of a reason why NT wouldn't want to use teleporting technology to aid in employee revival and care. Para was just the first guy to think of it, if anything he should be commended for that, not banned.

In short, these rules are a big pile of bullshit that are mostly effective but can lead to situations that make the game less fun for everyone. I put forward two things: either change these rules to take this into account, or ban every botanist main.
#PardonChewing2020
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Re: Roleplay rules surrounding metagaming and 'staying in your lane' and the negative impacts they cause

Post by Jack7D1 » #547426

This thread will hit the 10 page mark and will turn into something completely different by page 3.
scapegoat

Re: Roleplay rules surrounding metagaming and 'staying in your lane' and the negative impacts they cause

Post by scapegoat » #547429

Jack7D1 wrote:This thread will hit the 10 page mark and will turn into something completely different by page 3.
Most likely. I will try my best to not start a flamewar, I just want to get chewing unbanned and these rules fixed
Cupax3
Byond Username: Cupax3

Post by Cupax3 » #547433

Roleplaying rules are a joke to begin with. To really solve the issue, the next round of headmins will have to rethink the implementation of anything MRP related on /tg/ and not just copy-paste rules from somewhere where the playerbase has a different mentality.
Hello I am Kairu Valquirelle the human and Empyrea Languida the moff! Almost exclusively on Manuel.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #547440

When we say "affects no one" we mean nonantags right?

Being able to make your megahealing stat-maxed plants, or being able to easily pull bodies from hazardous areas like space certainly impact someone who is trying to keep someone dead.

I'm not going to vouch for any bans mentioned here but efficiency maxing at the cost of having to interact with players, particularly every round because you have the ability to, seems pretty powergamey.

That said, I would much prefer if we just kill 2 birds with 1 stone and trim the resource overabundance on maps.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #547444

Cobby wrote:When we say "affects no one" we mean nonantags right?

Being able to make your megahealing stat-maxed plants, or being able to easily pull bodies from hazardous areas like space certainly impact someone who is trying to keep someone dead.

I'm not going to vouch for any bans mentioned here but efficiency maxing at the cost of having to interact with players, particularly every round because you have the ability to, seems pretty powergamey.

That said, I would much prefer if we just kill 2 birds with 1 stone and trim the resource overabundance on maps.
You're not wrong, but there are really, really easy ways for antags to get around people being able to recover bodies. There are plenty of easy ways to dispose of a body permanently: shuttlegib, emag + cremator, emag + kitchen, explosive, debraining. All of these remove the ability for the body to be revived. I admit that botany can produce bonkers things, but botany isn't my main point. My main point is that the ruling isn't consistent.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #547445

Cupax3 wrote:Roleplaying rules are a joke to begin with. To really solve the issue, the next round of headmins will have to rethink the implementation of anything MRP related on /tg/ and not just copy-paste rules from somewhere where the playerbase has a different mentality.
I agree. Personally, I'm a big fan of the MRP server, but the /tg/ base is very different than the goon base and some adjustment would certainly be useful.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #547481

scapegoat wrote:
Cupax3 wrote:Roleplaying rules are a joke to begin with. To really solve the issue, the next round of headmins will have to rethink the implementation of anything MRP related on /tg/ and not just copy-paste rules from somewhere where the playerbase has a different mentality.
I agree. Personally, I'm a big fan of the MRP server, but the /tg/ base is very different than the goon base and some adjustment would certainly be useful.
The rules are meant to mold the playerbase, not viceversa. Once a ruleset has been decided, the idea is that either by people conforming to it or avoiding the server if they don't like them you end up with a population with a certain mentality. Rule tweaks are for when the resulting playstyle
A: is off the mark (e.g. with rigidly defined rules you end up with toe-liners)
B: is too exclusive (i.e. nobody wants to play it)
C: could be more fun for everyone, without altering the target mentality too much (e.g. not being able to make borgs law 2 suicide)

In this case, the botany issue should be solved via code in my opinion, since while interdepartmental cooperation is good for the game, it should be something required for the advanced side of the job, not to start it.
The hand tele issue is not a problem in my opinion as long as it stays fairly rare and doesn't become a must-do strategy like unstable mutagen for botany.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #547508

scapegoat wrote: You're not wrong, but there are really, really easy ways for antags to get around people being able to recover bodies. There are plenty of easy ways to dispose of a body permanently: shuttlegib, emag + cremator, emag + kitchen, explosive, debraining. All of these remove the ability for the body to be revived. I admit that botany can produce bonkers things, but botany isn't my main point. My main point is that the ruling isn't consistent.
You're totally right, antags could just antag 'better'. Is that what antags need to resort to because there's this one player that grabs gamer gear every round to trivialize the process?

Or rather the question should be do you WANT antags to do this on manuel? Is that the atmosphere you want to create where people are forced to respond in the most effective matter, regardless of how it might affect the victim (aka they now have 0 chance to be revived)?

If you're saying it should be okay to go out of your way to do the most effective strat round after round, it's going to create a domino effect. I would say this would be slippery slope but we've literally seen that play out in our other servers throughout the years.

Again i'm for just removing the 'extra' gear and not have to bring admins into it since the common issue here is that these individuals are just picking up unused map resources.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #547526

Cobby wrote:
scapegoat wrote: You're not wrong, but there are really, really easy ways for antags to get around people being able to recover bodies. There are plenty of easy ways to dispose of a body permanently: shuttlegib, emag + cremator, emag + kitchen, explosive, debraining. All of these remove the ability for the body to be revived. I admit that botany can produce bonkers things, but botany isn't my main point. My main point is that the ruling isn't consistent.
You're totally right, antags could just antag 'better'. Is that what antags need to resort to because there's this one player that grabs gamer gear every round to trivialize the process?

Or rather the question should be do you WANT antags to do this on manuel? Is that the atmosphere you want to create where people are forced to respond in the most effective matter, regardless of how it might affect the victim (aka they now have 0 chance to be revived)?

If you're saying it should be okay to go out of your way to do the most effective strat round after round, it's going to create a domino effect. I would say this would be slippery slope but we've literally seen that play out in our other servers throughout the years.

Again i'm for just removing the 'extra' gear and not have to bring admins into it since the common issue here is that these individuals are just picking up unused map resources.
I agree with you that we should just ditch some of the extraneous and unnecessary gamer loot on the stations, that makes sense. I think that the way the hand teleporter works is actually a pretty good way of fixing this issue. You can only teleport to people with the hand tele if they've prepared beforehand, I.E. carrying a beacon or using the det's tracker rounds or something along those lines. In almost all situations just stripping the person is enough to stop them being revived, the teleporter is just a small benefit to select people. That's different if your assassination target is the captain/HoS or someone that is likely to have that contingency prepared, but it SHOULD be harder to kill a member of command than a random assistant.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #547528

XDTM wrote:
scapegoat wrote:
The rules are meant to mold the playerbase, not viceversa. Once a ruleset has been decided, the idea is that either by people conforming to it or avoiding the server if they don't like them you end up with a population with a certain mentality. Rule tweaks are for when the resulting playstyle
A: is off the mark (e.g. with rigidly defined rules you end up with toe-liners)
B: is too exclusive (i.e. nobody wants to play it)
C: could be more fun for everyone, without altering the target mentality too much (e.g. not being able to make borgs law 2 suicide)

In this case, the botany issue should be solved via code in my opinion, since while interdepartmental cooperation is good for the game, it should be something required for the advanced side of the job, not to start it.
The hand tele issue is not a problem in my opinion as long as it stays fairly rare and doesn't become a must-do strategy like unstable mutagen for botany.
The hand tele is obviously not a must-do strategy, it's perfectly effective to not use it as a paramedic. The effectiveness boost it brings is all in all, pretty small. You can only even use it if the other person has been prepared beforehand, so it only really applies to people that have this contingency because they're more in danger than Steve McGunkin, assistant extraordinaire.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #547658

I won't express an opinion on the botany thing but I'll tell you for free that the issue with the paramedic was less "staying in their lane" and more:
Every round, he would
There are plenty of things you can do without issue on an individual round basis that become tiresome or problematic when they feature in 100% of rounds involving you.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #547659

scapegoat wrote:Just recently, a paramedic player was given a week ban from medbay. Every round, he would go get the hand teleporter from the teleporter room, after asking permission from AI and/or command staff, and would use it to recover bodies that had teleporter beacons in them.
Wait, Rats got banned for their teleporter gimmick? What the absolute fuck kind of horseshit is this?

Every time I roll Scientist, I go do toxins because nobody else wants to do it, and I always maxcap that shit, but it involves getting a pump from either the dorms or atmospherics because it makes things easier. Am I going to get banned for being too good at my job? Should I produce some subpar bombs and waste resources on purpose?
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #547675

scapegoat wrote: Example 2: Just recently, a paramedic player was given a week ban from medbay. Every round, he would go get the hand teleporter from the teleporter room, after asking permission from AI and/or command staff, and would use it to recover bodies that had teleporter beacons in them. This, again, is technically in violation of the above two rules. To put it bluntly, that's a hot pile of bullshit.
now that cloning is removed, people will actually have to put in effort to revive people. finally, we have saved the station known as slash tee gee slas- WAIT NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM LIKE THAT NOOOOOOOO

Sir, are you the man who constantly does his own job hyper efficiently if other people even comply with your batshit insane idea? Yeah, we're gonna have a problem here. Citizen, face the wall and prepare for final verdict.
:? :revolver: :thelaw:
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #547690

scapegoat wrote:Example 2: Just recently, a paramedic player was given a week ban from medbay. Every round, he would go get the hand teleporter from the teleporter room, after asking permission from AI and/or command staff, and would use it to recover bodies that had teleporter beacons in them. This, again, is technically in violation of the above two rules. To put it bluntly, that's a hot pile of bullshit. This paramedic was banned from a job for a seven days (that's 168 hours, FYI) for doing something that made his job easier and improved the rounds of a large number of players, while having no negative effect on really, anyone at all.
Excuse me, what the fuck.

Asking for shit that helps you do your job better and being given it - as opposed to tiding in and stealing shit for your sole benefit - is not fucking powergaming. Whoever ate that ban should appeal that post haste, and whoever applied the ban should get the fuck off the MRP server and go apply to be an admin at Bay. That's the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Seriously, it isn't even a technical violation of the two rules. That is exactly staying in their lane by asking for permission and using it to enhance their job, and it's not metagaming because the knowledge of bluespace teleportation isn't exactly forbidden knowledge.

The negative impact being caused by those rules isn't the fact that they exist, it's the fucking morons with purple names that are interpreting them incorrectly.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #547700

The problem is that the hand tele is 'public', in the sense that no job has any particular claim to it, unless you consider commanding in general a job.

By taking it you're not causing too much disruption, and it's a nice change of pace when you can carry a beacon knowing someone will retrieve you if you die.
But taking it every round means that the hand tele is never available for any other potential use, and the uniqueness of the gimmick degrades over time.
Another player planning their own gimmick (for example, a whiteship kidnapping scheme by throwing people into one-way portals with the hand tele) will find out that the crucial item has been taken, again, for the same exact purpose as the previous round.

Essentially it's a problem of hogging something, which isn't exactly an rp failure, but it is in the wider sense of roleplay-as-sportmanship where you give up some optimization on your end to let other players have more fun.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #547773

okay well if people were having issues with him hogging it it wasn't like he was hacking in every round command could've easily just said no to him you don't fucking weekban him and there are even two hand teles not just one, hell you don't need a handheld one to warp

"Just don't do it every round" is problematic, to say the least. It's a good idea for them and others, so people would want him to do it as much as possible.

"Okay, I've taken the hand tele two rounds in a row, gotta wait this one out so I'm not powergaming"
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #547787

The weekban seems a bit much to me as well, but
confused rock wrote:"Okay, I've taken the hand tele two rounds in a row, gotta wait this one out so I'm not powergaming"
this unironically, although i'd phrase it as "so this doesn't get stale too fast"
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #547789

The hand teleporter is just a shitty item because it is classed as some super confidential item while it totally isn't secure or even that dangerous.

Yeah you could randomly teleport around to see if you can break into places whoopsiedoodle.

Also I still think banning people from all servers for non-blatant RP breaks like this is just dumb. If people obviously choose manual to grief then kick them off all servers, but stuff like this shouldn't ban a player from a server where the rule broken doesn't even exist.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #547842

Why is the argument about the hand teleporter? Only thing it can do the regular teleporter cant is be used anywhere and is two way. Thats really only significant for returning. A paramedic could do the same by just using the teleporter and standing at a crew monitor.

Edit: Also someone said stripping stops it. This is not the case if they have a tracking implant. Tracking implants are targetable by the teleporter.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #548019

Arianya wrote:I won't express an opinion on the botany thing but I'll tell you for free that the issue with the paramedic was less "staying in their lane" and more:
Every round, he would
There are plenty of things you can do without issue on an individual round basis that become tiresome or problematic when they feature in 100% of rounds involving you.
At the bottom line, I just disagree with you. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with that. I don't see it as a problem.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #548020

XDTM wrote:The problem is that the hand tele is 'public', in the sense that no job has any particular claim to it, unless you consider commanding in general a job.

By taking it you're not causing too much disruption, and it's a nice change of pace when you can carry a beacon knowing someone will retrieve you if you die.
But taking it every round means that the hand tele is never available for any other potential use, and the uniqueness of the gimmick degrades over time.
Another player planning their own gimmick (for example, a whiteship kidnapping scheme by throwing people into one-way portals with the hand tele) will find out that the crucial item has been taken, again, for the same exact purpose as the previous round.

Essentially it's a problem of hogging something, which isn't exactly an rp failure, but it is in the wider sense of roleplay-as-sportmanship where you give up some optimization on your end to let other players have more fun.
I wouldn't see hogging as a problem because A. there are two hand teleporters, B. nobody else ever uses the hand teleporter anyway.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #548021

CPTANT wrote:The hand teleporter is just a shitty item because it is classed as some super confidential item while it totally isn't secure or even that dangerous.

Yeah you could randomly teleport around to see if you can break into places whoopsiedoodle.

Also I still think banning people from all servers for non-blatant RP breaks like this is just dumb. If people obviously choose manual to grief then kick them off all servers, but stuff like this shouldn't ban a player from a server where the rule broken doesn't even exist.
In the admins defense, he wasn't banned from the serb, just med. I still agree with you, though.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #548022

confused rock wrote:okay well if people were having issues with him hogging it it wasn't like he was hacking in every round command could've easily just said no to him you don't fucking weekban him and there are even two hand teles not just one, hell you don't need a handheld one to warp

"Just don't do it every round" is problematic, to say the least. It's a good idea for them and others, so people would want him to do it as much as possible.

"Okay, I've taken the hand tele two rounds in a row, gotta wait this one out so I'm not powergaming"
You've put it succinctly and better than I could have. Well done.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #548029

CPTANT wrote: Also I still think banning people from all servers for non-blatant RP breaks like this is just dumb. If people obviously choose manual to grief then kick them off all servers, but stuff like this shouldn't ban a player from a server where the rule broken doesn't even exist.
If he wasn't warned for this I'd agree with you in this specific incident (I don't know), but in general I think it's great. If you can't be arsed to follow the additional rules on manuel then go to bagil or risk being banned from both. If you want to ignore the deterrent then I could probably care less if you take a break from the game tbh.
scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » #548109

Cobby wrote:
CPTANT wrote: Also I still think banning people from all servers for non-blatant RP breaks like this is just dumb. If people obviously choose manual to grief then kick them off all servers, but stuff like this shouldn't ban a player from a server where the rule broken doesn't even exist.
If he wasn't warned for this I'd agree with you in this specific incident (I don't know), but in general I think it's great. If you can't be arsed to follow the additional rules on manuel then go to bagil or risk being banned from both. If you want to ignore the deterrent then I could probably care less if you take a break from the game tbh.
I wasn't aware that he was warned for this, are you sure about that?
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #548113

You've been setting up the super matter every round, this ruins other people's games because there's a functioning engine bye bye
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #548202

I like chewing more as engineer. Very wholesome time teaching her Atmos.
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #548601

scapegoat wrote: Example 2: Just recently, a paramedic player was given a week ban from medbay. Every round, he would go get the hand teleporter from the teleporter room, after asking permission from AI and/or command staff, and would use it to recover bodies that had teleporter beacons in them. This, again, is technically in violation of the above two rules. To put it bluntly, that's a hot pile of bullshit. This paramedic was banned from a job for a seven days (that's 168 hours, FYI) for doing something that made his job easier and improved the rounds of a large number of players, while having no negative effect on really, anyone at all. It's good to ban someone for powergaming if it's just to make their round better and break the immersion of the game. This paramedic was not doing either of those things, he was helping others recover from being a corpse so they could continue to enjoy the round. I would also argue that this doesn't really break immersion, either. I can't think of a reason why NT wouldn't want to use teleporting technology to aid in employee revival and care. Para was just the first guy to think of it, if anything he should be commended for that, not banned.
Making the round easier for the crew is not the same as making it better. "Losing is part of the game". This guy was powergaming in a really boring way to make every round less dangerous and therefore less interesting.
If you think that paramedics having access to hand teleporters every round is good for the game, you should PR it on github.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #548960

confused rock wrote:okay well if people were having issues with him hogging it it wasn't like he was hacking in every round command could've easily just said no to him you don't fucking weekban him and there are even two hand teles not just one, hell you don't need a handheld one to warp

IIRC the issue was that command people were giving him the high value item every single round because they knew that every single shift he did that same strat and that he was trustworthy because he was recovering bodies, and it was a metagaming thing? Like if you had a gimmick that involved the nuke disk and the cap gave it to you each shift because he knew you did it the last 10 rounds in a row even though him doing so is weird from a standalone view.

I dont agree with the ban tho
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #548966

good job a policy thread that's a ban appeal.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #548979

the ban set a policy and people are here to discuss it, what's wrong with that? why is this quoted as a bad thing? isn't discussion of policy what this subforum is for?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #549004

The issue becomes when discussion becomes more about a ban then policy/precedent set by it.

Threads spawned by a controversial or precedent setting ban are fine. Threads that are using policy discussion as a thin veneer to have a peanut gallery on a ban are not.

I.e.
"I don't think people should be penalized for playing the game a particular way, even repetitively" - A Good Policy Discussion Post

"This ban sucks I love [player/character/other]" or "This ban was great fuck [player/character/other]" - A Bad Policy Discussion Post

That's not to say all posts in here have been BadTM but there have been quite a few that are more discussion about a ban then a potential policy or precedent being set by it.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #549057

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:

IIRC the issue was that command people were giving him the high value item every single round because they knew that every single shift he did that same strat and that he was trustworthy because he was recovering bodies, and it was a metagaming thing? Like if you had a gimmick that involved the nuke disk and the cap gave it to you each shift because he knew you did it the last 10 rounds in a row even though him doing so is weird from a standalone view.

I dont agree with the ban tho
inb4 he gets traitor with the objective to steal the hand tele and all this work has been to get people to trust him enough to hand it over without question

playing the long game
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #549073

The way I see it, the line is pretty generally blurry on purpose - every situation is going to be different. We've always handled everything on a case-by-case basis. The general idea is that you should mostly be sticking to doing your job unless circumstances require otherwise. Nobody's going to bwoink you for helping to heal someone if everyone in medical is dead or setting up the engine when there are no Engineers, but the latter is better handled by getting a job change. It's mostly there to prevent people from going around doing everything and keeping other people from doing their jobs. In a normal round with everyone you need to run the station, you should generally stay in your own lane.

The issue with the player grabbing the hand teleporter every round is it borders on powergaming - that player doesn't really have any IC need for it, they're just grabbing it to have it, likely either to use it to help them escape danger or make themselves a target for traitors. It's the same reason you're not allowed to throw up barriers and set up the brig prepared for a hell rush or weld all the vents shut for no reason - your character has no reason to be doing it, so why are you doing it?

If this bothers you, I heavily encourage you to play on one of our other servers. There are too many people on Manuel who either take umbrage with the rules or just don't care about them that could go repopulate those servers during peak.

My opinion on the ban is that I'm pretty damn well against how long it was, or even banning in the first place. Then again, I don't know his history or notes, so I can't really say otherwise. In general, violations like these should probably be handled with a simple "quit it" and a note rather than banning.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you