Live-Server Testmerges Should Require 'Testmerge Candidate' Label

bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Live-Server Testmerges Should Require 'Testmerge Candidate' Label

Post by bobbahbrown » #563332

I have determined that according to Skoglol there is no formal procedure for when a testmerge should be allowed. As live-server testing of PRs is not a codebase issue (its a decision made by keyholders) I am requesting that policy be formalized to better control what can and cannot be testmerged.

Specifically, I am proposing that we only allow PRs with a specific label, the obvious option being the 'testmerge candidate' label, to be testmerged. From what I understand, the purpose of this label should be to require that a PR has a maintainer vouch for the code that is contained in the PR prior to being testmerged onto a live server.

This prevents an obvious attack vector from being abused, as it really only takes one slip-up to sour the experience for everyone involved. It'll also promote better code review, I think.

Best,
bobbah "bee" brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Live-Server Testmerges Should Require 'Testmerge Candidate' Label

Post by Vekter » #563333

I think this is fair, though if we're doing this we should also change to require that flag for anything that would realistically impact the server enough to require a testmerge. Assuming that's not the current policy, of course.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Live-Server Testmerges Should Require 'Testmerge Candidate' Label

Post by oranges » #563565

the keyholders reject your request.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master