Cult Zombies. Are they zombies or cult?

vkalls
Byond Username: Vincent Kallstrom

Cult Zombies. Are they zombies or cult?

Post by vkalls » #567255

Recently I had a dynamic round where both zombies and cult were in play. Some members of the cult were turned into zombies and some zombies were converted to the cult (I think). The cult zombies still had a red halo and red eyes, making them seem like cult. I was a part of the cult and killed by a zombie. The admin at the time said zombies were free to kill any non zombies. I don't mind that, but I do think there needs to be some clarification on how zombies should act. So the questions is -
Should zombies be considered on the side of antags who they are converted to (cult, maybe revs and some others)?
My opinion on this is pretty neutral. Cult has been able to convert almost any sentient being and have that being join the cult. (Xenos, Sentient Mobs, Nightmares) If we were being consistent, zombies would be on the side of the cult. HOWEVER, zombies might want to munch brains more than they want to summon Nar'sie?
Please talk this over so we can get an official ruling on it.
genessee
Byond Username: Genessee

Re: Cult Zombies. Are they zombies or cult?

Post by genessee » #567256

In my opinion;

Zombies are loyal to nothing except other zombies. As a zombie, you're expected to murder and maim any living thing (minus other zombies) that you see. After all, they're really just walking husks controlled by the Romerol tumor - and that tumor has no loyalties.

Curing a zombie, obviously, returns it to its' previous loyalties.

I think the same goes for Revolutionary Zombies and any other conversion antag zombie (or zombie in general). While in life you may have been loyal to Nar'Sie or the Revhead, in death a zombie just isn't capable of recognizing the difference between 'good human' and 'bad human'.

On the flip side, I think zombies are always valid when confronted by a human, no matter what their former alliances may have been. Cult members killing cult zombies makes sense - generally, the cult should then be trying to cure and revive the cult zombies, but that's more my opinion than anything.

EDIT: obviously referring to Romerol zombies, not high-functioning zombies - HFZ should act like a normal crewmember and are loyal to the cult when converted
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #567257

Does Eldritch God Brainwashing affect the mindless?

You can convert simple mobs, so I'd think so.
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #567258

Shadowflame909 wrote:Does Eldritch God Brainwashing affect the mindless?

Simple mobs aren't mindless if they get converted though, because they're sentience is required.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #567259

Armhulen wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Does Eldritch God Brainwashing affect the mindless?

Simple mobs aren't mindless if they get converted though, because they're sentience is required.
Checkmate Armhulen

Ai cultist mobs with the cult faction

Edit: but my main point is, if nar'sie literally brainwashes crewmembers to do his bidding. Should be even easier with zombies who only rely on instinct.
► Show Spoiler
genessee

Post by genessee » #567260

Edit: but my main point is, if nar'sie literally brainwashes crewmembers to do his bidding. Should be even easier with zombies who only rely on instinct.
In order to brainwash, you need to have a brain TO wash. In a zombies' case, they literally are only being animated by Romerol.

Romerol is literally a gland of weird-ass chemicals. It does not think, and arguably isn't even alive.

Nar'Sie might be powerful, but at the end of the day, a Romerol Zombie is just a sack of flesh being controlled by a biological weapon on-par with algae or fungus. You just can't exercise enough control over that to make it do your bidding.

( Also, looking at this from a game balance perspective, making zombies not allowed to attack former cultist teammates brings up the questions 'can revolutionary zombies attack human revs?' and 'can mindshielded zombies attack human security?' and frankly, that sucks and isn't fun for anyone)
vkalls
Byond Username: Vincent Kallstrom

Post by vkalls » #567261

genessee wrote:
'can mindshielded zombies attack human security?'
Mindshields don't prevent people from attacking sec policy wise I believe.
genessee

Post by genessee » #567262

vkalls wrote:
genessee wrote:
'can mindshielded zombies attack human security?'
Mindshields don't prevent people from attacking sec policy wise I believe.
The point is, zombies are supposed to have zero allegiance to anyone except other zombies.

Being a zombie stops being fun (and from a traitor perspective, viable to release) if suddenly half the zombies are still aligned to their faction after they get infected. The reason why these zombies are so strong is because they're supposed to go full unga - if they keep acting like normal crewmembers, then they just become powergame juggernauts that can't stay dead without a decap/surgery
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #567264

It's honestly not at all against theme for a death god to have power over zombies.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #567291

i played on the round this thread concerns. it was yesterday on manuel.
many people were talking in OOC afterwards for cult members 'teamkilling' while they were zombies. it was simply those people not being aware of the policy concerning zombies. manuel doesn't see dynamic much, so it may have been a lot of players' first times seeing romerol during a different gamemode.
vkalls wrote:Should zombies be considered on the side of antags who they are converted to (cult, maybe revs and some others)?
no, for several reasons.
one is that zombies are zombies, they're brainless fuckwits with claws that must feast on grey matter and spread the infection.
another is what was outlined above, that romerol will simply become useless on dynamic rounds because it'll have little effect other than giving one team invincible murderbone machines.
the reasons given to support them remaining on the side of the cult are simply grasping at lore that's not even concrete in the first place.

tl;dr: OP might not be ided, but a lot of people were, and you shouldn't base policy off that.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #567341

If they aren't on the cult side when converted, they shouldn't be convertable in the first place. Either yes they are or they should be forbidden from becoming cultists in the code
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #567369

zombies isnt a "real" team antag so they should be cult friendly, like the rest of antags that get converted
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #567370

The message on zombie conversion tells you to spread the virus and to be hostile to everything that's not a zombie. Zombie Cultists attacking other cultists results in more zombie cultists, not dead cultists. It seems pretty straightforward as-is.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #567387

it should be either since both are equally plausible reactions.

Attempting to control zombies isn't always a successful venture, so you have to choose risk v. reward.

You shouldn't get banned if you choose to attack or not to attack the cultists, just be consistent about it since you ARE playing a braindead individual.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #567722

I don't know where this notion that romerol zombies are "mindless" came from- they can *spin, speak, use krav maga (using control+click), and meme just like everyone else (bar the hand thing).

Doesn't the brainwashing surgery beat out cult allegiance? If so, zombies should as well (it should go brainwashing surgery>zombie compulsion to kill>cult, IMO).
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #567747

ATHATH wrote:I don't know where this notion that romerol zombies are "mindless" came from- they can *spin, speak, use krav maga (using control+click), and meme just like everyone else (bar the hand thing).

Doesn't the brainwashing surgery beat out cult allegiance? If so, zombies should as well (it should go brainwashing surgery>zombie compulsion to kill>cult, IMO).
If an affect that is allegiance altering beats the cults conversion, it should get rid of their cultist status completely in the code. If someones got that cult HUD on them you shouldn't have to worry that they're not actually cultists.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #567790

*spin is a braindead action that’s why people do it ;)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #567826

SkeletalElite wrote:If an affect that is allegiance altering beats the cults conversion, it should get rid of their cultist status completely in the code. If someones got that cult HUD on them you shouldn't have to worry that they're not actually cultists.
It doesn't "beat" it, it just takes precedence in front of non-zombies. They are still cultists, they just also have an overwhelming urge to spread a disease as well.