Make Rule 1 consistent on killing non-human players

Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Make Rule 1 consistent on killing non-human players

Post by Zybwivcz » #582717

I've been informed by an admin that there's a policy that player controlled monkeys are always considered valid regardless of the circumstances. This is stupid.

Since player controlled crewmembers aren't, and player controlled silicons aren't, and player controlled simplemobs aren't, and player controlled golems aren't, then player controlled monkeys shouldn't be.

"Random murders are not acceptable" should apply in all of those cases.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: Make Rule 1 consistent on killing non-human players

Post by Screemonster » #582718

being a sentient monkey is acting like an antag :^)
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #582720

Player controlled simple mobs should be valid too
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #582786

This has been the way it's been for as long as I've been playing on this server and I don't like it either. It would be interesting to hear current admins try to explain why it's a rule
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #582805

Isn't this from an event (I forget exactly what it is that does this) where player controlled monkeys turn people into other player controlled monkeys?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #582807

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Isn't this from an event (I forget exactly what it is that does this) where player controlled monkeys turn people into other player controlled monkeys?
Jungle fever/monkey rounds are cursed.
Hugs
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #582812

Im sorry is this real I've never seen a sane admin rule random monkeyperson kills as just.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #582837

I don’t consider monkey Insta valid but if you abuse the monkey perks they don’t have to treat you with the same rights as a “normal” player (off to the gibber cutie!)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #582872

Zybwivcz wrote:I've been informed by an admin.
which one
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #582881

oranges wrote:
Zybwivcz wrote:I've been informed by an admin.
which one
me, after asking for a double check in the admin channels
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #582910

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2018

Seems like this stems from a variety of things

1) monkey is likely to be a ling
2) people using monkey to be a shitter

I also swear I remember reading somewhere that being a monkey makes you valid but if you're constantly turning yourself into a monkey so you can kill people who try to valid you you're gonna get banned for being a shitter but I can't remember or find where I read that. Maybe it was another server's rules.
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #582911

are there actually any rules about killing xenobio mobs controlled by players
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #582915

remanseptim wrote:are there actually any rules about killing xenobio mobs controlled by players
I was always under the impression that they had more loose escalation and that any major escalation on their part is also escalation with their master and all of the other minions.

For example, a couple xenobio mobs attack security, security is now going to (rightfully) valid ALL xenobio mobs because they have to assume the master ordered the mobs to fuck with them and also arrest or even kill the master.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #582920

crew vs xenobio mobs is similar to crew vs free golem, you can go full genocide for minimal reasons (no 0 reasons)
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #582923

My understanding was: valid.

Does having a reason like them starting trouble make it easier? I guess. Could make sense for some mobs. (See ghost spawns like golems: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 33&t=12511) There was at some point a ye olde understanding for some mobs being valid having even the smallest of reasonings, but I don't think it was ever official for much else besides that?

Currently: You assume the risk by being a monkey. Play monkey games win monkey prizes.

That said if you turn someone into a monkey as an excuse to make them valid and kill them that's uncool dude. Same as turning into a monkey to bait people.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hugs
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #582924

I've made a couple adminhelps about this in the past and even made at least one policy thread and the tl;dr is every admin has a different opinion about this and you're going to get wildly different results whenever it comes up in ahelps

To my understanding monkeys being always valid was official policy a long time ago and more recently most of the newer admins either were never told or came to the realization that it's a stupid rule
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #582929

Misdoubtful wrote: That said if you turn someone into a monkey as an excuse to make them valid and kill them that's uncool dude. Same as turning into a monkey to bait people.
this reminds me of a hilariously salty thread on /vg/ a couple of years ago when they had a virus that turned people into catbeasts as the final symptom and catbeasts were always valid, so instead of actually curing anyone security just rounded up anyone that showed the early symptoms and locked them up and waited for them to become valid so they could get a free kill

people got super pissed about it
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #582933

Screemonster wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote: That said if you turn someone into a monkey as an excuse to make them valid and kill them that's uncool dude. Same as turning into a monkey to bait people.
this reminds me of a hilariously salty thread on /vg/ a couple of years ago when they had a virus that turned people into catbeasts as the final symptom and catbeasts were always valid, so instead of actually curing anyone security just rounded up anyone that showed the early symptoms and locked them up and waited for them to become valid so they could get a free kill

I know its super off topic but the best part is the catbeast virus still exists. A monkey disease not locked behind a gamemode on TG would be crazy.
Hugs
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #582952

Agreed, make all nonhumans valid.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #582979

monkeys shouldnt be inherently valid for existing but they should definitely have relaxed escalation

if a monkey is being a shithead then it should be killable because its entirely likely to be a ling, but people who kill mind magnified/geneticist monkeys on sight are kind of dicks
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #583005

Misdoubtful wrote:
Screemonster wrote:

I know its super off topic but the best part is the catbeast virus still exists. A monkey disease not locked behind a gamemode on TG would be crazy.
to be more on-topic, a nonantag turning someone valid on a technicality so you can later kill them (or get them killed by someone else) is just nonantag murder with extra steps

it's like how "AI, kill this lizard" makes that lizard valid to the AI but it's on you if the AI acts on it
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #583012

i have literally never met somebody who intentionally became a monkey and did not deserve to die
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #587048

Sentient monkeys are not free kills, though if they end up abusing their abilities to do things like break into departments via ventcrawl they are free game.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.