re add blood brothers but way rarer

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

re add blood brothers but way rarer

Post by wesoda25 » #589732

I was talking to some people, and we agreed that BB's probably shouldn't have been removed in their entirety.

I think they can still have a good place in dynamic as a minor antag, just they need to be a lot rarer. A benefit of being rarer would be that they regain their novelty, and as such will be more fun and people will put more effort in - therefore getting more out.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: re add blood brothers but way rarer

Post by Farquaar » #589735

I like blood brothers. I have fond memories of it, and would love to see it return in even a small form.
► Show Spoiler
SuperNovaa41
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 » #589739

God yes, blood brothers is very fun. But it definitely needs a pop limit, as lowpop is plagued with a wasteland of bloodbrothers
I am a maintainer for /tg/

I play Seth Scherer somtimes

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #589746

they dont bring anything interesting other than being teamed with a 5h account cause everyone else has it turned off
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #589756

SuperNovaa41 wrote:God yes, blood brothers is very fun. But it definitely needs a pop limit, as lowpop is plagued with a wasteland of bloodbrothers
You can set the weight low to prevent this problem, so it'll favor traitors a lot more often than blood brothers.

Pop limits are possible (with requirements), just saying.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #589757

I liked BB, I only did once or twice but it was a memorable greentext for me and my bro as I killed our targets stealthily while he made us mechs.
I think it's fun because there's the additional challenge of not having any gear or abilities to help you.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #589758

You're all deluding yourself.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #589761

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:they dont bring anything interesting other than being teamed with a 5h account cause everyone else has it turned off
why is this an issue? i don't want to play with someone because they're new? talk about gate keeping
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #589776

I liked what BB could be, but still really didn't like how often it would boil down to: you are a tot with no tc and your BB died doing their own thing. Was fun when that didn't happen, but that kinda thing could happen often.
Hugs
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #589778

It should be as rare as the Obsessed antag
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #589783

I was thinking that a good tweak to BB might be guaranteeing that your BB is in your department. Improve the odds of coordination and being able to engage each other without suspicion.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #589787

RaveRadbury wrote:I was thinking that a good tweak to BB might be guaranteeing that your BB is in your department. Improve the odds of coordination and being able to engage each other without suspicion.
No way, half of the strength is that you can combine department tools and access.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #589789

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:I was thinking that a good tweak to BB might be guaranteeing that your BB is in your department. Improve the odds of coordination and being able to engage each other without suspicion.
No way, half of the strength is that you can combine department tools and access.
I hear that, but in order to get that strength your BB has to have any level of communication with you, and a big reason we got rid of BB was "Admin help, my BB doesn't respond to any of my attempts to communicate with them."
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #589791

Give BB abductor-like communication between each other, except they can actually talk of course.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #589792

SkeletalElite wrote:Give BB abductor-like communication between each other, except they can actually talk of course.
I don't think I'd like that. Part of the fun is arranging secret meetings and trying to hide your coordination with one another.
► Show Spoiler
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #589794

cocothegogo wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:they dont bring anything interesting other than being teamed with a 5h account cause everyone else has it turned off
why is this an issue? i don't want to play with someone because they're new? talk about gate keeping
Its quite obvious that every single time you play a certain antag you dont want to spend your time teaching the basics to someone. Trying to argue bad opinion cos gatekeeping is a bad faith take at the least.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #589796

I wouldn't mind if BBs had a randomised "meet here" at the start of the round - my recollection was always "fuck gotta use pda but thats asking someone to open the console and look"
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #589797

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:I wouldn't mind if BBs had a randomised "meet here" at the start of the round - my recollection was always "fuck gotta use pda but thats asking someone to open the console and look"
Whose gonna tell him?
Naloac wrote:
cocothegogo wrote:
Its quite obvious that every single time you play a certain antag you dont want to spend your time teaching the basics to someone. Trying to argue bad opinion cos gatekeeping is a bad faith take at the least.
My theory is that by making it rarer, the novelty returns, and more people will be willing to keep in enabled. The initial reason I think everyone disabled it was because how damn common it became.
SkeletalElite wrote:Give BB abductor-like communication between each other, except they can actually talk of course.
That would go against the point of the antag.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #589799

Yeah look I forgot if they actually had one or not rng always hated me for antag rolls
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #589808

There's like 5 people in the entire community I'd trust to be a competent blood brother
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Sparkezel
Byond Username: SparkezelPL

Post by Sparkezel » #589835

Bloodbro would need some sort of a whitelist
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #589845

So firstly I think BBs is way better gone than it was with how frequently it was coming up before.

There are some losses:
  • Theres a bit of an issue where right now where either an antag has gamer gear, or they aren't an antag.
  • catching BBs using PDAs was fun and I barely bother checking the PDA server anymore
Anyway I'd be happy with them being about as rare as obsessions, adds a bit more paranoia
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #589855

Here is how I visualise the creation & thoughts behind blood brother.

Coder of blood bros: hits coder bong "guys what if we tried an antag that had no stuff, nothing cool about it at all brah, but we put two random people together and see how they get along?"

Cute idea right? The positives of an attempt at forced teamwork & the stories this can sometimes create are counteracted by the pitfalls of being combined with two people who don't find themselves compatible with each other, as well as not having much of a kick to do anything beyond their objectives, the weakest part & most uninspired part of antagonists I think we can all agree on that last point. It's basically speed dating in ss13?

The times that it works are vastly overshadowed by the times it doesn't because of blood brothers refusing to work together & one of them murderboning, dynamic spawning a majority of blood brothers which makes the shift boring (this could be solved by neo-dynamic), or both of them just not doing anything. Basically all of these leave a bad taste in the mouth of anyone with an opinion. Plus whenever I get blood brother I think personally "man I just wanted traitor why this PoS antag with the exact same alert sound fuck my life" so it's not like I enjoy it myself. Speaking for myself on the last part, but blood brothers are almost always boring regardless of following their objectives or not. The idea is cool, but the execution is the equivalent of an admin giving two people custom antagonist objective and nothing else (if an admin did this to you you'd cry).
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589863

Blood brothers are probably worse in 2021 if anything TBH. Not because they'll show up often, but because there's just not that much round start budget to spend anymore. You'll buy blood brothers,. and then not have enough for anything actually cool.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #589896

blood brothers can stay deads an entirely new antag could work in it's place or perhaps a mechanic added to the existing traitor antag may work too.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #590107

The only way to make BBs work would be to have them spawn outside the station. Like a Lone Op, but weaker and their mission isn't to blow up the station.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #590195

Naloac wrote:Its quite obvious that every single time you play a certain antag you dont want to spend your time teaching the basics to someone.
That's true of all team antags, not just BB.
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590228

with revs you tell them to kill heads and sec and ur done

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #590236

Jaredfogle wrote:with revs you tell them to kill heads and sec and ur done
with BB you tell them to kill the target and ur done
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #590239

Revs is about numbers
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590247

Farquaar wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:with revs you tell them to kill heads and sec and ur done
with BB you tell them to kill the target and ur done
correct

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #590381

yes it's that simple when it's just you and some guy who doesn't even know how to open the context menu anymore
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: