Allow non antags to buy ALL shuttles

Should non-antags be able to buy ANY shuttle?

Yes
69%
No
24%
Dont care
7%

Total votes: 72

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Allow non antags to buy ALL shuttles

Post by wesoda25 » #640646

Bottom post of the previous page:

Good points:

1) emergency shuttles are opt in
2) people seem to like the crazy ones
3) some people seem to disagree with the ruling
Last edited by wesoda25 on Thu May 12, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[this space reserved]
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Allow non antags to buy ALL shuttles

Post by Arianya » #641161

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:20 pm
Arianya wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:42 amFor every person who finds it very funny to be murdered on the shuttle there will be someone who prefers to try and stay alive at any cost even if the round is going to end in 30 seconds.
Why wouldn't this person just take a pod?
A variety of reasons:

a) They latejoined/weren't paying attention and didn't see the shuttle purchase
b) Pods may be destroyed/unreachable/non-livable without a space suit (heavy station damage/meteors/etc.)
c) Roleplaying-wise, most people would expect to evacuate by the shuttle rather than pods - its the one that goes to Centcomm after all.

And from a more OOC point of view - the shuttle is the main way to leave the station at the end of a round - the fact that pods exist shouldn't really negate its safety in the same way we shouldn't destroy the station just because lavaland exists for people who don't want to die.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #641192

Arianya wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm
A variety of reasons:

a) They latejoined/weren't paying attention and didn't see the shuttle purchase
b) Pods may be destroyed/unreachable/non-livable without a space suit (heavy station damage/meteors/etc.)
c) Roleplaying-wise, most people would expect to evacuate by the shuttle rather than pods - its the one that goes to Centcomm after all.

And from a more OOC point of view - the shuttle is the main way to leave the station at the end of a round - the fact that pods exist shouldn't really negate its safety in the same way we shouldn't destroy the station just because lavaland exists for people who don't want to die.
You can view what shuttle is coming by examining the monitors. The pods being destroyed is pretty rare and space suits usually aren't that hard to get.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #641253

Arianya wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm And from a more OOC point of view - the shuttle is the main way to leave the station at the end of a round - the fact that pods exist shouldn't really negate its safety in the same way we shouldn't destroy the station just because lavaland exists for people who don't want to die.
People actually spend the entire round on the station interacting with people or doing their job content or whatever it is they do in a given round, on the station. If you ruined the station people have to stop doing that and are forced to worry about survival first and foremost (which is enjoyable in its own right and wouldn't be an issue to me either, but that's a different topic). Whether or not you leave the station as a crispy piece of long pork or strapped to your seat doing nothing really has no impact on your gameplay, your ability to do your job or the round as a whole, because the round is over.

I wrote shuttle instead of station at the top and my post looked retarded oops!
Last edited by terranaut on Thu May 19, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #641372

yes, fun should be allowed at the expense of people who are killed or marooned by the fun shuttles because they're bad
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #641406

Personally, shuttles aren't fun right now. It is just time spent afking most of the time and sometimes I just go ssd 5 mins before a shuttle arrivals because all value is lost in the round when you know its going to end soon. I think having griefly shuttles is a nice shake up to watch the shit show go down as long as it is not spammed.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #641518

This thread brought up a lot of valid points.

It made me realize that I plainly dislike grief shuttles on a fundamental / game level,
but that's an issue with the codebase itself, and it's not worth attempting to handle administratively due to this nature.

As a result, we've decided to revert the ruling back to its prior form, with some very minor tweaks for clarification's sake.

In summation:
  • Buying a grief shuttle is allowed, but lynchable / liable to mutiny.
  • Buying a shuttle when most of the station has agreed to another shuttle (such as BYOS) may be cause for mutiny.
  • Inciting a lynch mob and defending yourself lethally is self-antagging. Non-lethal self defense is generally fine, in the same vein as resisting a valid arrest.
  • Buying a grief shuttle when the station / the pods are destroyed is a dick move and may also get you in trouble with admins.
This policy may expand beyond the captain as well, obviously, and serves as a general "grief shuttle" guideline.

Melbert - Agree with reversion
Mothblocks - Agree with reversion
Timberpoes - Agree with reversion
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes